Dragon Ball Super Tankoubon Release Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super Tankoubon Release Thread

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:40 pm

On top of the obvious hoping they throw in the F arc, I'm also really curious as to how the spine art will look. I personally would love to see them continue the existing spine, throw in some Buu arc characters and then get to the Super characters. Of course that all being said that'd of course require the series to last long enough for the spine to incorporate all these people.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:01 pm

ShaneisMC wrote:On top of the obvious hoping they throw in the F arc, I'm also really curious as to how the spine art will look. I personally would love to see them continue the existing spine, throw in some Buu arc characters and then get to the Super characters. Of course that all being said that'd of course require the series to last long enough for the spine to incorporate all these people.
Same here! I was also wondering if VIZ releases it, will it follow the vizbigs or standard release?

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:11 pm

I also wonder what will come to America first: the Super manga or the anime?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:15 pm

-Volume 1 Cover art-

I love it! It's cool how Toyotaro keeps envolving and suprising me.
I really get Toriyama vibes ftom that cover. What a great sucessor! :clap:

I hope the manga sells a lot, because unlike the anime I don't have any problems with it.
It's just sad Toyotaro won't draw one final chapter for ROF version and put in there. It would make it perfect.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:55 pm

I wonder if we will get any comment or interview from Toriyama in this one, which could potentially reveal if there was any involvement from Toriyama or how close to Toriyama's Story Draft the manga is, and even Toriyama's opinion to the manga compared to the anime. I'm saying this because we did get those in the JSAT & EoB manga releases:
  • From the JSAT manga adaptation, we learned that Toriyama was more involved with the manga, as he served as a supervisor & adviser for Ooishi while he only wrote a Story Draft for Toei, and he said that he preferred the manga version over the anime version, and he talked as if the 2 chapters were extra chapters of his original manga.
  • From the EoB volume release, we learned that even though Toriyama oversaw the creation of the manga, it doesn't seem like he considers it part of his story, and we even learned from Ooishi that this was supposed to be a what-if story (though Shieisha doesn't seem to see it as a what-if story, since they keep mentioning its events in all of the recent timelines).
He even congratulated Ooishi in volume 1 of Dragon Ball SD, so I think there is a very good chance that we will get at least a comment from Toriyama.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:53 am

Since we now know Chapter 10 is 30 pages long, it doesn't appear all the currently released chapters can fit inside the first volume.

At most, I hope Toyotaro was allowed to add more pages to give the story a more cohesive flow.

I mean, it would make sense somewhat to retool the chapters for the more prestigious Tankoubon release. Higher quality is expected from books compared to throw-away promotional material in a monthly magazine, I imagine.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:57 am

I just hope Viz releases it, so I can have the translated version. Even if they don't, I'll still buy this manga cause it's awesome.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:00 am

Wezenheim wrote:I wonder how well the Tankoubon will sell. I'm sure it will sell pretty well, but I hope we get to see numbers somehow in the future.
dae428 wrote:I'm actually really digging that design. Man it's times like this where I wish Toyotaro would just do a full adaptation of Dragon Ball Super instead of just having bits and pieces of the actual story.
Me too.
Xeztin wrote:Yea it sucks it isn't a full blown adaptation, but at least we get something! that "1" assures us there will be more! Also did anyone notice how the page count keeps jumping? Hopefully it goes weekly one day. Hopefully...
I've thought about it and while I also wish we could get these weekly, I don't mind getting them monthly if Toyotaro keeps doing a good job and has a higher page count. I just want him to cover the entire story if possible.

Well, having seen the latest chapter, it's pretty much similar to the anime...

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Got mine a day early (of when I was supposed to get it) Here are some pics! I am excited to see the Jump Victory Carnival 2015 Bonus Comic
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:30 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Got mine a day early (of when I was supposed to get it) Here are some pics! I am excited to see the Jump Victory Carnival 2015 Bonus Comic
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
What about the interview.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:10 pm

Why does Toyotaro always draw Vegeta with shorter hair than usual?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

macho_man
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by macho_man » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Vegeta and Polunga? Same author, I've already seen this before:
It's a Blue Dragon reference, extra drawing of DBAF volume 4.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:12 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
What about the interview.
Here you go. I tried my best without damaging the book
ImageImage

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:27 pm

emperior wrote:Why does Toyotaro always draw Vegeta with shorter hair than usual?
He's been drawing Vegeta's design in GT for so long that I imagine it's probably ingrained in his head at this point.

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:05 pm

The design on the spine, with Goku and the spheres that compose the image, let me guess about the whole series lenght. 4 to 6 volumes. That's really a quantity of material, in term of the anime series.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:33 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Here you go. I tried my best without damaging the book
ImageImage
Thanks!

It seems to be different material than the interview from the V-Jump site. The only tidbit about the future of Super (from what I can see) is:
--Finally, could you tell us just a little bit about where the story of Dragon Ball Super is heading?
Toriyama: I've got an idea for a story about the "future" of "a certain somebody". And I'm thinking of combining that together with a new "universe". It'll be simple enough for kids to enjoy...hopefully (laughs).

Toyotaro: "A certain somebody"...It's someone I'm a huge fan of! I'm really looking forward to it!!
Echoing some of the things said in the interview featured on the V-Jump site.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:51 pm

Herms wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Here you go. I tried my best without damaging the book
ImageImage
Thanks!

It seems to be different material than the interview from the V-Jump site. The only tidbit about the future of Super (from what I can see) is:
--Finally, could you tell us just a little bit about where the story of Dragon Ball Super is heading?
Toriyama: I've got an idea for a story about the "future" of "a certain somebody". And I'm thinking of combining that together with a new "universe". It'll be simple enough for kids to enjoy...hopefully (laughs).

Toyotaro: "A certain somebody"...It's someone I'm a huge fan of! I'm really looking forward to it!!
Echoing some of the things said in the interview featured on the V-Jump site.
I thought it was somebody from the future? Not the future of somebody. Could it be any character at this point?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:55 pm

They're two different interview questions with a similar answer. The word future being in quotes is an obvious hint that they're pointing at the same thing.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:02 pm

I'm starting to think Toriyama means Oob. That reference in episode 30 is so random otherwise.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:04 pm

Ok so how do we know FUTURE-RELATED doesn't mean the future of Super?
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ