Kai Episode 159 (28 June 2015)

Individual discussions for each episode of Dragon Ball Kai.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Kai Episode 159 (28 June 2015)

Post by Hujio » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:33 am

General Discussion for Dragon Ball Kai episode 159, aired 28 June 2015

もっと強く!悟空の夢は終わらない!!
Motto Tsuyoku! Gokū no Yume wa Owaranai!!
Even Stronger! Goku's Dream is Never Ending!!

PLEASE KEEP ALL DISCUSSION RELEVANT TO THE SPECIFIC KAI EPISODE EPISODE -- ALL "SUPER" DISCUSSION SHOULD REMAIN HERE
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Ajay

Re: Kai Episode 159 (28 June 2015)

Post by Ajay » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:26 pm

It's finally dead.
Good riddance.

How appropriate that the music placement would be as bad as it's ever been. Apocalyptic music during the Goku vs Oob fight... Really?! Right after the disco track! Awful stuff.

I'll give them one thing, though. Everything after that fight was genuinely touching. I don't think you could ever really ruin Z's ending, no matter how much you tried.

Phew. Bring on Super! A new era begins.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:31 pm

So, the 6 year journey has now come to an end. A nicely cut episode to finish the series off. A better way of watching Dragon Ball Z with less filler. Much better watching the Uub fight in one episode, didn't feel as disjointed.

Hope you guys enjoyed Kai as much as I have. Onwards to the next adventure!.

MrKaytos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrKaytos » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:33 pm

Last picture...

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:37 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:Hope you guys enjoyed Kai as much as I have. Onwards to the next adventure!.
For me it's the only way to watch Z so it's great we got the Buu arc and hopefully Funi will announce their release soon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:49 pm

No Kanzenban ending, if you were expecting it.

It sounded like Aya Hirano still voiced adult Dende. I suppose they figured there was no point bringing in Yuuki or another actor for a one-off appearance.
-Rachel

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:04 pm

Darn. In the back of my mind, I guess I always knew that they wouldn't animate the Kanzenban's ending for Kai, but I'd always really hoped...

Did they at least let the narrator say his final line from the manga? In DBZ, they got rid of his ending speech and replaced it with "Come back, Goku! Everyone's waiting for your return! Oh by the way GT airs next week don't miss it." It really cheapened the conclusion...

Welp! So long, Dragon Ball Kai. Thanks to you, we're all a little wiser, a little more cynical, and a little more knowledgeable of what makes Toei tick, both domestically and internationally. That's... probably not what you set out to accomplish, but okay. Let's all jump into Dragon Ball Super with our heads held high, fully aware that we're better off now than we were six years ago.

Except for Kenji Yamamoto.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:07 pm

I think that's the first time the "Goku" OST track was used in the show. Anyway, another good cut, never a lapse of action in the entire episode. It's a great way to end Kai, and I just wished they had trimmed more episodes to be paced as well as 158-159.

Also, I noticed Goku refers to Mr. Satan's money which
MagicBox wrote:Did they at least let the narrator say his final line from the manga? In DBZ, they got rid of his ending speech and replaced it with "Come back, Goku! Everyone's waiting for your return!"
It's the same line as in DBZ.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:54 pm

And Dragon Ball Kai is officially over.

Thank God. :D

We can now move on to better things (Dragon Ball Super).

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:11 pm

LuckyCat wrote:Also, I noticed Goku refers to Mr. Satan's money which he gets at the beginning of Super. So there does seem to be an attempt to be consistent so far! :D
(I don't really think this is an issue worth spoiler tagging. It's not really a new issue and is given out as part of the episode summary.)

I don't see how this is an attempt at consistency (not with Super anyway). Mister Satan was already extremely wealthy back during the Buu Arc, and Goku offering to have Satan take care of Uub's financial woes was in the original series as well. Depending on if the JSAT remains in continuity with Super, this seems like it's finally addressing their topic of Gyumao running out of money and Goku getting a job, or just readapting it entirely.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:13 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
MagicBox wrote:Did they at least let the narrator say his final line from the manga? In DBZ, they got rid of his ending speech and replaced it with "Come back, Goku! Everyone's waiting for your return!"
It's the same line as in DBZ.
Well that is just beyond annoying.

They had a chance to fix things...!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:And Dragon Ball Kai is officially over.

Thank God. :D

We can now move on to better things (Dragon Ball Super).
Hopefully it's a better thing.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:39 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I don't see how this is an attempt at consistency (not with Super anyway). Mister Satan was already extremely wealthy back during the Buu Arc
Sure, but Goku having no problem with taking Mr. Satan's money seems kind of weird. At least Super provides us with a hesitant Goku and a reason why Goku should be taking the money. Basically, I'm praising the Super manga for adding better context to Goku's comment in EoZ.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:19 am

Now the ongoing painful wait of getting to see the Buu arc out of Funi. Cant wait...... seriously I'm sick of the waiting.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:22 am

I'm hyped. This cut is better than the Z cut by around 20 episodes, after all. Now to enjoy the top-notch dub and see if there's a way to fix the music. Haha.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:58 am

I liked the last part better than Z, that's about it, glad Kai's over!. :D
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:08 am

I don't get sentimental about Kai's end at all. I'm just glad it's over. It was the longest, cheapest, and most annoying filler we've ever experienced. We bore with a 159 episode long flashback before a new episode comes. Now we feel more patient than when we watched Z in childhood, don't we?

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:29 am

kei17 wrote:I don't get sentimental about Kai's end at all. I'm just glad it's over. It was the longest, cheapest, and most annoying filler we've ever experienced. We bore with a 159 episode long flashback before a new episode comes. Now we feel more patient than when we watched Z in childhood, don't we?
I liked the final track a lot. But everything else you said is pretty much spot on, Kai was THE BIGGEST FLASHBACK EVER. LOL. and people rage when an anime like naruto or hxh has one flashback episode.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:00 am

kei17 wrote:I don't get sentimental about Kai's end at all. I'm just glad it's over. It was the longest, cheapest, and most annoying filler we've ever experienced.
Considering that the supposed purpose of Kai was to make a cut of the show with less filler, this is perhaps the most hilariously ironic thing about Kai.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:15 am

Well that was... interesting. Kai 2.0 was by no means bad... but it wasn't good either... It was okay.

I loved Sumitomo's soundtrack but the placement was god awful at times. Some rather strange edits were made but also some good ones. The opening was awesome, the first ending was awesome, the rest of the endings were okay.

Overall, it was... passable. I would've loved it if there were some reanimated scenes but that didn't happen (changing the position of Buu's crossed arms doesn't count), I would've loved less to no filler but that didn't happen and I would've loved it if they treated this the same way they treated Kai 1.0 considering that the Buu saga is my favourite saga... but that didn't happen.

Hopefully the English dub will be awesome.