Various Jump pictures

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Various Jump pictures

Post by Herms » Thu May 28, 2009 2:45 am

----Notice:This old thread is part of my series of guides. To avoid necro-posting, please post any comments you have in the sticky thread for my guides, rather than here. Thanks!----

Here's a bunch of pictures from some of the old Jump issues I've bought. Thanks to Hujio for hosting all these pictures.

First, here's Piririn. This picture came out pretty blurry. Oh well, I'll have to get Hujio to make a proper scan latter. This is part of a feature announcing a contest to design your own fusion.

Here's a drawing of a Gotan (Goku+Mister Satan) from the same feature as the Piririn feature.

Here's the first part of the fold-out section for the 1989 issue #31 of Weekly Jump. It has a contest where you take a DB trivia quiz, scratching off the silver square that you think is the correct answer to see if it is. For each answer you get right, you can scratch off one of the silver circles. Some of the silver circles have dragonballs beneath, and if you uncover all seven, you can send in your fold-out poster for a chance to win either a signed picture of Goku drawn by Toriyama (only 10 people can get these), or an anime cell (for another 210 winners).

Here's the rest of the quiz. Look at how Vegeta and Nappa have their early anime colors!

Here's the autographed picture of Goku by Toriyama. I seem to remember that one of these were up for auction awhile back, and people were debating if it was authentic.

This is the first part of the battle power section, on the opposite side of the quiz.

And here's the rest.

Here's the introduction to this section, by Bulma.

Here's Toriyama, looking vaguely insane. This is on the other fold-out poster in the same issue as the quiz and battle power stuff. This fold-out is to advertize the Jump anime festival where the Toriyama anime Kosuke-sama was shown. Other manga artists who attended the festival are shown around him

On the opposite side is a summary of the Kosuke-sama anime.

And below that are some character profiles.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu May 28, 2009 3:22 am

These are very nice!

And on the Puririn picture, I'm pretty sure there is a picture of it on the main site.(But then again, probably on kanzentai, too :p)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Various Jump pictures

Post by Bussani » Thu May 28, 2009 3:41 am

Herms wrote:Image
Here's the introduction to this section, by Bulma.
SSJ Bulma!
Here's Toriyama, looking vaguely insane.
Haha, awesome.

Thanks for sharing, Herms. Interesting as always.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu May 28, 2009 3:47 am

Who drew that picture of Gotan? Is that the fusion that won the contest?

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu May 28, 2009 4:20 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Who drew that picture of Gotan? Is that the fusion that won the contest?
It doesn't say. I think it's just a sample picture, since the feature is announcing the beginning of the contest, not its end.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 28, 2009 2:02 pm

I like this autographed Goku drawing much better than the newer one that appeared a while ago. X3

Piririn's so vaguely, muscular-Pilaf-ish. :lol:

I wonder who won the fusion contest...and what their fusion was....
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu May 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Woah, early anime colors for Vegeta and Nappa. Any idea if they were colored based on the early anime episodes or vice versa?
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu May 28, 2009 4:02 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:Woah, early anime colors for Vegeta and Nappa. Any idea if they were colored based on the early anime episodes or vice versa?
This issue came out in July, 1989, while Vegeta and Nappa first appeared in the anime in May, 1989. This issue is also after the the two color chapters where Vegeta and Goku begin fighting, which show Vegeta in his normal colors.

coinmanmat

Post by coinmanmat » Sat May 30, 2009 8:34 am

Herms wrote:
DaemonCorps wrote:Woah, early anime colors for Vegeta and Nappa. Any idea if they were colored based on the early anime episodes or vice versa?
This issue came out in July, 1989, while Vegeta and Nappa first appeared in the anime in May, 1989. This issue is also after the the two color chapters where Vegeta and Goku begin fighting, which show Vegeta in his normal colors.
Wow thanks for posting those scans, Just exactly how were you able to get a hold of that old Weekly Shonen Jump issue. If it was from 1989 its 20 years old. I am amazed that a magazine that old would still be in good condition. I'm kinda curious too, what manga did that issue contain?

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat May 30, 2009 9:00 am

coinmanmat wrote:Wow thanks for posting those scans, Just exactly how were you able to get a hold of that old Weekly Shonen Jump issue. If it was from 1989 its 20 years old. I am amazed that a magazine that old would still be in good condition. I'm kinda curious too, what manga did that issue contain?
I got it at Mandarake Nakano, which has all kinds of anime and manga stores. One of the stores there has shelves full of old issues of Jump and other manga magazines, which is where I got all that issue and various others. The 1989 issue contains the chapter where Goku and Vegeta have their beam struggle between the Kamehameha and the Gyarik-ho.

coinmanmat

Post by coinmanmat » Sat May 30, 2009 7:55 pm

Oh cool, there's a Japanese book store in my area and they sell old Jump issues there too, I bought a couple of them. I gotta say I like them, lol it has more manga than the U.S. Shonen Jump magazine. Of course the ones i have are not that old, I have Issue 2 and 21 from this year. In fact i think one of them had info on that DBZ game Infinite world.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:24 am

Piririn! And why is Vegeta.... in his anime colors? :shock:

Thanks for sharing all these pictures!

Out of interest, how much do these old issues cost? Might pick a few up when I go to Japan next.
Last edited by jda95 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:18 am

jda95 wrote:Thanks for sharing all these pictures?
You're welcome?
Out of interest, how much do these old issues cost? Might pick a few up when I go to Japan next.
They're generally absurdly cheap, about 200-400 yen. Certain special issues will be higher (such as issues that contain the first chapter of a popular series), in which case they seem to range from 1,000-3,000.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:25 pm

DaizEX Transformations Guide wrote:We would have liked to be able to translate Toriyama's own comments from the ad, but they are unfortunately mostly illegible due to compression and re-compression over the intervening years. So, if anyone out there has a copy of this issue... we'd be more than grateful if we could have a "fresh" image to work from.
Herms! Heathjio! *cracks whip* Slightly-less-blurry scan Piririn scan! Go!
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Eh? Yajirobei has a battle power of 970?! lol
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:23 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Eh? Yajirobei has a battle power of 970?! lol
I don't think it's that much of a surprise; after all, it's not like Yajirobe was ever weak--just lazy and easily frightened. He can pack a wallop, though! ;)

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Erm, why is Toriyama in football equipment in his picture? If you look closely you can see him holding a football helmet and he has a football jersey on! :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 am

The picture is of all the manga artists who attended the anime fest, dressed in American football uniforms. I guess they just thought it would look neat.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:13 am

Who made that power level list? Was it Toriyama, the Jump staff, or someone else?