V-Jump battle powers

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

V-Jump battle powers

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:11 pm

----Notice:This old thread is part of my series of guides. To avoid necro-posting, please post any comments you have in the sticky thread for my guides, rather than here. Thanks!----

So this Japanese fansite Outer Z has a nice collection of battle power related scans. The first scan is the Weekly Jump pullout poster that I've posted about before, the second scan is a page from the first issue of V-Jump, the third scan is a Weekly Jump scan about DBZ movie 5 that actually doesn't have anything to do with BPs as far as I can make out (but it's still neat to see, as it features Toriyama's character designs for the movie), the fourth scan is the Daizenshuu 7 feature on battle powers, and the fifth scan is the Super Exciting Guide: Story Volume's pages detailing how strong each level of Super Saiyan is and how potara fusion works. Credit goes to kakaru over on the My Favorite Games forum for finding this site with its scans.

The V-Jump scan is the one I find most interesting, partly because it's the only one I've never really seen before (well, I haven't seen the movie 5 scan before, but I have seen the artwork). I've seen several mentions of this scan on the Japanese Wikipedia pages for DB stuff before: their page on Vegeta references it in the section on Vegeta's various battle powers. This issue came out on December 12th, 1990, which is about when Freeza reached his third form in the manga. So these are battle powers from that point in the story. Incidentally, this same issue of V-Jump contained the first chapter of the Toriyama series Cashman.

Freeza (first form): 530,000
Freeza (second form): over 1,000,000
Goku: over 180,000
Kuririn: 75,000
Gohan: ?; the captain says that he's normally 200,000, but he can get far stronger
Vegeta: 250,000
Nail: 4,200 (unless there's an extra 0 that I can't see, they accidentally put this instead of 42,000 like it says in the series)
Piccolo: ?

That little wizard guy in the bottome left corner is the title character from the manga "Magical Taruruuto-kun". He's saying that everyone's amazing battle powers are making him dizzy. Don't ask me why they put him on the page.

Next to him is a section where Tenshinhan and the others at Kaio give their comments from the afterlife. Tenshinhan says that he’s gotten much stronger. Yamcha asks Bulma to wait for him, the poor sap. Chaozu wants to know if Krillin is doing well, and wishes he could join the fight.

So anyway, that's basically it. I always like finding odd bits of DB arcana like this, so thanks to kakaru again and the owner of Outer Z.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 pm

I can't seem to get the first image to show.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Very interesting. It's exciting to see those numbers given for Kuririn and Gohan at that time, although it makes one wonder if the Great Elder's power was continually drawing out their power. I mean, when against ReaCoom Kuririn and Gohan were 13,000 and 14,000 respectively.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:34 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Very interesting. It's exciting to see those numbers given for Kuririn and Gohan at that time, although it makes one wonder if the Great Elder's power was continually drawing out their power. I mean, when against ReaCoom Kuririn and Gohan were 13,000 and 14,000 respectively.
There is that line of Vegeta's from before the fight with Freeza where he says that the two of them were getting steadily stronger. And the two were able to fight well against Ginyu in Goku's body, and he was at 23,000, so it does seem that they both got stronger since the fight with Gurd and Recoome. Gohan's got his half Saiyan blood going for him, with the near-death power ups and whatnot, but it's not too clear why Kuririn would be getting so strong so fast. But I guess chocking it up to the Great Elder's power up taking awhile to reach its full effect makes as much sense as anything.

Kaiser Gogeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaiser Gogeta » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Wow, this is awesome. These scans are brand new to me save the first, and I've always liked these power level listings. Thanks for the info, Herms.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Hate to press the issue, but can anyone see the first image? I tried to just look at the image itself, but Yahoo sends back a forbidden error. Can someone copy it and post it to Image Bucket or something? I'm really curious.
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm not having any problems with it myself, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Hmm... it seems to be a problem with Firefox. Internet Explorer (*barf*) seems to load it. VERY interesting. The only power level sources that we don't have confirmation for at the moment (going by your post in the DB Questions forum) are the ones that give the levels for human Taopaipai and Chaozu's initial appearance and the ones that give levels for Cooler and his henchman. Hopefully someone will eventually find and scan them.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:31 pm

johnboy1 wrote:Hate to press the issue, but can anyone see the first image? I tried to just look at the image itself, but Yahoo sends back a forbidden error. Can someone copy it and post it to Image Bucket or something? I'm really curious.
It works on Flock (haha, take that, world!!). Here it is re-uploaded: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll24 ... o/card.jpg

hui43210
Not-So-Newbie

Post by hui43210 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Wow popo is over 1000?

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:14 pm

Never been a fan of these. Because there are clear errors within them. I find it hard to trust them with such blatant errors. Such as Nappa only being at 4,000.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:21 pm

Gozar wrote:Never been a fan of these. Because there are clear errors within them. I find it hard to trust them with such blatant errors. Such as Nappa only being at 4,000.
I wouldn't put much stock in the idea that Nappa should have a higher number just because Gokuu needed to use the Kaiô-ken. That entire situation was for the sake of showing off the Kaiô-ken.

Besides, as I understand some wordings seem to suggest he was in the four thousand range, unless Herms would prefer to correct me.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Gozar wrote:Never been a fan of these. Because there are clear errors within them. I find it hard to trust them with such blatant errors. Such as Nappa only being at 4,000.
I wouldn't put much stock in the idea that Nappa should have a higher number just because Gokuu needed to use the Kaiô-ken. That entire situation was for the sake of showing off the Kaiô-ken.

Besides, as I understand some wordings seem to suggest he was in the four thousand range, unless Herms would prefer to correct me.
Remember, Goku's BP was "Over 8000". Goku himself states that Nappa really is tough and his fight could go on forever. So Nappa should at least be in the upper 7000's.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:31 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Besides, as I understand some wordings seem to suggest he was in the four thousand range, unless Herms would prefer to correct me.
Goku says it could take all day to fight Nappa, after the whole "over 8000" scene.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:36 pm

I never really liked that these numbers always place Piccolo above Gohan against the Saiyans. Piccolo says if Gohan puts his mind to it his power is greater than his own.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:39 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:I never really liked that these numbers always place Piccolo above Gohan against the Saiyans. Piccolo says if Gohan puts his mind to it his power is greater than his own.
That's Gohan's whole deal though, the bursts of POWAH.

How much was Gohan's enraged Masenko? That should be above Piccolo, while Gohan's regular state is lower.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Rocketman wrote:How much was Gohan's enraged Masenko? That should be above Piccolo, while Gohan's regular state is lower.
That's what I mean. Gohan's attack was 2'800, and Piccolo is always listed as stronger than that.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:59 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:I never really liked that these numbers always place Piccolo above Gohan against the Saiyans. Piccolo says if Gohan puts his mind to it his power is greater than his own.
Wasn't that a dub only line?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:43 pm

No, it's stated in the manga too. During the three hour break while waiting on Goku.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:54 pm

I accept these levels (and really any other than those in the manga itself) on a provisional basis, mainly because they give us a much more structured basis for conjectural levels in Dragon Ball. However, I make exceptions in the case of obvious mistakes (such as Kami-sama being weaker than Great Demon King Piccolo despite being able to pwn the person who just killed him with a flick of his wrist).

Popo's level situation is becoming stranger and stranger. It seems weird enough for him to be stronger than Kami-sama (yes, I know, "pecking order", but still), but the picture that goes with the level on that scan is from his first appearance. While there's nothing that flat-out refutes it, I find it hard to accept that ANYONE on Earth is that strong that early in the story, even someone who never really fights.