Fan and dub races

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Fan and dub races

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:41 pm

----Notice:This old thread is part of my series of guides. To avoid necro-posting, please post any comments you have in the sticky thread for my guides, rather than here. Thanks!----

Though the DragonBall Wikia is pretty dreadful in just about all ways, the very fact that it's full of made-up nonsense and dub-logic makes it a pretty good resource for the sort of mis-information about DragonBall floating around out there. So with that in mind, I've used it's race section to make a list of names that fans and the Funi dub have invented for various races who are left unnamed in the series itself.

Arcosians: This is the name the Funi dub gives to the race of aliens shown making a deal with the Saiyans in the early Z filler (either in Raditz's explanation of the Saiyans, or Kaio's history of them). Their homeworld is supposed to be Planet Arcose, another dub-invented name. Most of their appearance is hidden by long, white robes.

Bas-jin: This is a fan-made name for Gurd's race.

Hemadein: A fan name for Kyui's race.

Bune-jin: This is a fan-made name for Pui Pui's race. The really stupid thing with this one is that we already sort of know what Pui Pui's race should be: he's from Planet Zun, so that would make him a Zunian, or some such thing. In fact, it's possible that "Bune" is a corruption of "Zun". The DB wikia gives "Zoon-jin" as an alternate name for the race, though "Bune-jin" is still the actual page title.

Genies: Supposedly Popo is one. I'm just going to quote the DB wikia on this:
Genies are a race of peaceful creatures who do not have the ability to grant wishes (unlike in many other works of fiction involving genies). Mr. Popo is the only known genie. Although he doesn't look like it, he is also a great fighter. They use magic carpets to go long distances and are pretty agile. Mr. Popo is the assistant to whoever it is that happens to be Earth Guardian at the time.”
So yeah. I'm not sure if this idea is a fan-made one, or if the Funi dub contributed to it. At any rate, all we really know about Popo's race is that, according to Daizenshuu 7 and the SEG: Character Volume, he is orginally from the afterlife, as is Karin.

Kashvar: This is the Funi dub's name for the race of Hoi and his fellow evil wizards. The only problem is that, though it's been awhile since I've seen DBZ movie 13, I'm pretty sure Hoi and co. were said to be from Planet Konats itself, just like Tapion. I'm not sure just how they came up with "Kashvar". It sounds vaguely Russian, and Hoi was wearing somewhat Russian-looking clothes, so maybe that's it? Anyway, here's what the DB wikia has to say about the Kashvar; I'd assume all this is from the Funi dub:
Hoi, the evil wizard that tricks the Z Fighters into releasing Tapion from his enchanted music box is the last known member of the race to still be alive (according to him). […] Not much is told about the Kashvar other than their belief that they are the dominant species of the universe. More than one-thousand years before the events of Wrath of the Dragon, the Kashvar waged war on the Konatsians on their home planet of Konats. Tapion explains that using their evil magic, they brought the evil Hirudegarn back to life, and used the creature's awesome power to completely ravage the planet. By the near end of the war, almost half of Konatsian's population had been killed off.
Rito Sei-jin: The people of Planet Litt (ritto-seijin, but often incorrectly written without the second 't') are an actual race mentioned in the series. They are a small race who work for Freeza, and according to Vegeta, the small-sized fighting jackets that Gohan and Kuririn wear during the battle with Freeza were actually made for them. Their name is therefore presumably a pun on "little". Apparently Viz felt that this naming scheme would be too obvious for an English-speaking audience, so they changed the name of the race to "people of Planet Lilliput", a reference to the country of tiny, inch-high people from Gulliver's Travels. In the Garlic Jr. anime filler arc, Vegeta is shown attacking Planet Litt and wiping out the Littians. In the anime, the Littians look like sort of a combination of bird and bug.

So if they're an actual race named in the series, why am I listing them here? Because the Litt/Ritto/Rito are commonly mis-identified as being the race of the space orphans who Gohan and co. encounter in the anime filler. This mistake goes back to Greg Werner (omae no kaasan), who in his complete character guide on The Ultimate DBZ Information Site, wrote the following:
385. Rito Sei-jin "People of planet Rito*- I'm not totally sure but I believe the people of Rito are the orphans that Gohan, Kuririn and Buruma meet in outer space. All of the adults on the planet were killed by Freeza's men and the children escaped on a large mirrored space ship.
Werner's site was extremely influential in the English-speaking DragonBall community back in the day, and though 99% of the information on it was perfectly accurate, the few mistakes like this spread throughout the internet and have stuck around to this day. And so, the DB wikia tells us that Rito is "a planet that was destroyed by Frieza, where the Zetian and the other orphans originated".

I don't know, I just find stuff like that fascinating somehow.

Dark-jin: This is a name fans give for Yakon. It's not exactly inaccurate, since Yakon is said to be from ankoku-sei/"Planet Darkness/the Planet of Darkness", which would make him an ankoku-seijin/"person from the Planet of Darkness". But I really hate how "Dark-jin" nonsensically mixes English and Japanese. Go with "Ankoku-seijin" or "Darkian", but don't mix and match like that!

Space Lemur: In the Japanese version of GT, Sugoro and his son call theselves "space tanuki", tanuki being a type of racoon dog found in Japan. In Japanese folklore, they have the power to shape-shift, just as Sugoro and his son do. In the Funi dub of GT though, they are instead called "space lemurs", which is an...interesting substitution.

Changeling: A common fan term for Freeza's race. In the series, Zarbon calls Freeza an henshin-gata uchuu-jin/"transforming-type alien", just like Zarbon himself is (in Viz he just says that Freeza "can also transform"). It's possible that "Changeling" is an extreme corruption of that (perhaps from "transforming-type alien" to "changing alien" to "Changeling"?). Either way, changeling is originally the name for a creature from English folklore, an Elf child that has been switched with a human one. The DB wikia actually correctly identifies "Changeling" as a fan name:
The term "Changelings" is a common name given to the race by fans, but is never said or referenced in anything officially created for Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, or Dragon Ball GT. The name in actuality is just something fans made up for easy discussion somewhere between the mid-to-late 1990's. They have also been calling Icejins by fans, but this too was never stated.
So hey, score one for them.

Aruhua-jin: This is another one that's technically not incorrect: in this case it's just a really bad romanization. The name should actually be "Alpha-seijin", people of the Planet Alpha. These are the green race that Boo is shown destroying in the anime flashback that depicts his origin. They are named in Daizenshuu 10.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I've been meaning to add "Changeling" to the "Rumor Guide" foreverz, and just never got around to it. I think I will finally do so, and at least put a reference over to this post to point out some of the others. I wasn't even remotely aware of some of these other dub-ified/corrupted/made-up versions.

"Dark-jin" is hilarious. It reminds me of the attempts by still-not-quite-there fans that write out variations like "Saijin" or "Sayjin". There's nothing wrong with still being uneducated with a drive to BE educated... but it certainly provides hilarity to us in the meantime.

Herms, stop reading that site. Please. Maybe you'll be able to sleep, if you do...!

Why do I get the impression that we're going to have to dedicate an entire section on our own upcoming wiki with a title like "Here are the things you read on the other sites that are wrong and here is WHY they are wrong with citations and scans"...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rod
Regular

Post by Rod » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:57 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Why do I get the impression that we're going to have to dedicate an entire section on our own upcoming wiki with a title like "Here are the things you read on the other sites that are wrong and here is WHY they are wrong with citations and scans"...?
Because it's the only way they'll learn :P

I was always bothered by the DBWikia's "Genie" race, I knew there was something wrong about it, I kept trying to remember which chapter said he was a genie, but I couldn't find it :lol:

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:15 pm

That site is terrible...just plain terrible.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:53 pm

VegettoEX wrote:...Why do I get the impression that we're going to have to dedicate an entire section on our own upcoming wiki...
:shock: Excuse me but when did this happen?
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:...Why do I get the impression that we're going to have to dedicate an entire section on our own upcoming wiki...
What!?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:56 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Big Boss wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
What!?
Got damn it, how in the hell did I miss this?!!
Herms wrote:...Arcosians: This is the name the Funi dub gives to the race of aliens shown making a deal with the Saiyans in the early Z filler (either in Raditz's explanation of the Saiyans, or Kaio's history of them). Their homeworld is supposed to be Planet Arcose, another dub-invented name. Most of their appearance is hidden by long, white robes...
If there was not an official name ever provided for this race what is wrong with Arcosians? Just about every one I know calls them that and even some on this forum have referred to them by that name. It is not as if a fan name/term has not been accepted by fans and later officially in some sort of capacity (i.e. toy packing etc.) in the past.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:07 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:If there was not an official name ever provided for this race what is wrong with Arcosians? Just about every one I know calls them that and even some on this forum have referred to them by that name. It is not as if a fan name/term has not been accepted by fans and later officially in some sort of capacity (i.e. toy packing etc.) in the past.
Part of it is that giving them an actual name makes them out into more than the really are. In the original version they're just some anonymous aliens meant to represent the Saiyans' many clients. In the Funi dub, it seems that they've been made out into the Saiyans' only real client before Freeza took them in as his minions.

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:24 am

Freeza is often called an Ice-jin or Changeling by the fans.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:46 am

jda95 wrote:Freeza is often called an Ice-jin or Changeling by the fans.
Well, I did list "Changeling", and "Ice-jin" was mentioned in the bit from DB wikia that I quoted.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:26 pm

Excuse me but... any idea who these are?

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Gogonyysh

Herms

Post by Herms » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:35 pm

Search me, other than some of Freeza's henchmen look kind of like crocodiles. "Gogonyysh" sounds vaguely like go-go-ni-shi/5-5-2-4, but that's probably just a coincidence.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Could it be a race from the Playdia game?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:25 pm

Regarding Bas-jin: Ironically this fanterm was created by the official tabletop RPG. I say ironically because they didn't make up any fanterms for the dozen or so other unnamed races. :P

As for "Changeling," is this actually a name for the race, or is it just used to describe his ability to transform? Because he is a changeling, after all, in the sense that changeling = shapeshifter = polymorphic, etc.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Dayspring wrote:As for "Changeling," is this actually a name for the race, or is it just used to describe his ability to transform? Because he is a changeling, after all, in the sense that changeling = shapeshifter = polymorphic, etc.
Well, as stated it's not "the name" for the race in an official sense, but in a fan-given sense (but I think you knew that).

Yes, it's the fan-given name as a proper noun, as seen by its capitalized-usage, rather than just used as a description.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:18 am

DNA wrote:Could it be a race from the Playdia game?
I doubt it. It doesn't sound like any of them, and the name itself doesn't sound very much like a DragonBall name (the races I know of from the Playdia game all have very obvious name puns).

With the Arcosians, that thread on DBZ Uncensored got me looking through that old side, and I noticed Psaros didn't mention anything about the Arcosians is his summary of the episode (that I could see, anyway). Was this element not present in the original dub? Was it added for the Ultimate Uncut/season sets redub?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Dayspring wrote:As for "Changeling," is this actually a name for the race, or is it just used to describe his ability to transform? Because he is a changeling, after all, in the sense that changeling = shapeshifter = polymorphic, etc.
Well, as stated it's not "the name" for the race in an official sense, but in a fan-given sense (but I think you knew that).

Yes, it's the fan-given name as a proper noun, as seen by its capitalized-usage, rather than just used as a description.
Okay. Just wanted to make sure they were indeed pulling an "Odo's racename" and not us jumping down fandom's throat over a misconception.

@Herms: The old Saban dub had a dub name for the race as well, though I don't remember if it was the same.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:39 am

DNA wrote:Excuse me but... any idea who these are?

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Gogonyysh
According to a site that is just about as credible as the Dragonball Wiki (http://www.hostultra.com/~vegetaspalace ... lanets.txt), it is in the West Galaxy, so it could be on of the races from the Anoyo Ichi Budokai. Also, every mention of that planet on the web has apparently been plagerised word-for-word from the same place, so it may not even exist.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:04 am

Freeza Heika wrote:According to a site that is just about as credible as the Dragonball Wiki (http://www.hostultra.com/~vegetaspalace ... lanets.txt), it is in the West Galaxy, so it could be on of the races from the Anoyo Ichi Budokai. Also, every mention of that planet on the web has apparently been plagerised word-for-word from the same place, so it may not even exist.
Yeah, I'm about 99.9% certain that no race name like that was ever mentioned during the Anoyo-ichi Budoukai.