My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:34 am

I finally reached 500 posts in this forum.

I am now a regular!!
I was saving this topic for my 1000the post or for another time, but I’ll do it anyway.

Gather around… light up some firewood… outcome the BBQ… I’ll tell you my story with Dragon Ball and how I became the fan that I am today…

Where should I start? Oh, I got it…

As you can see from my Username, I am a ninja fan ((used to be a Narutard)). When I was a kid in the early 90’s, I used to love an anime series called “Manga Sarutobi Sasuke”.

Opening

Ending

That show was one of my favorites back in the day and I became a ninja lover thanks to it.

In the year 2000… an Arabic channel for anime & cartoons was first premiered by the name of “SpaceToon”. There were some trailers for some of their shows and one of them was “Dragon Quest: Dai No Daibouken” or what’s known to the Arabian fans as “The Brave Dai”.

Japanese opening

Arabic opening

I watched the trailer, and judging by the scenes from it I wanted to watch it because it reminded me a lot of Manga Sarutobi Sasuke! And therefore, I liked it and made it one of my favorites.

Time has passed… and the summer of the year 2002 has come. Summer is the time SpaceToon premier’s new shows and one of them was… Dragon Ball!!

At first, I didn’t know anything about the show more than “a boy with a tail” and some pictures on the internet…!! But it reminded me of Dai’s show and I thought I should check it out.

I talked to one of my friends about the show, and he said that there is another show staring the Kid with the tail as an adult that was premiering on a European channel ((I can’t define the language)). He also showed me in one my videogame magazines an article about one of its games and I’m pretty sure it was Legacy of Goku.

Anyway, I went to his house the other day, and he showed me what he taped from the show. They were some episodes from the inside Boo ones ((I didn’t knew at that time)). When I was watching it, I had some questions about it in my head like:

“I’ve seen pictures of the guy in orange with a ring on his head. Why the other one in blue have it?”

“How do they change their hair to yellow? And why?”

“Who is that fat monster in the ball that looks like “The Jelly Man*”? ((*Our nickname for Super Boo))

All what I remember from the episodes were Goku & Vegeta walking their way, and a scene of “The Jelly Man” getting all muscular all of a sudden.

But from what I’ve seen, I really got into the show, and I’ve taped all the episodes of the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai with such joy in my heart. But when the dub concluded it with the fight between Goku and Blue, I felt kinda sad for not going further.
During that time, I got a copy of FUNimation’s movie 3 dub from KFC and saw some clips on Cartoon Network’s website.
And when summer 2003 came… it brought Dragon Ball Z!!

But before seeing the first episode, I read some comments from other Arabian fans saying that the Arabic dub sucks with their re-writes… I was like: “What?!! The show that I saw was nothing close to the original?!!” That killed my excitement a bit… but I got over it.

How did I feel when watching the first episode of Dragon Ball Z? Kinda close to the American fans… I had no idea who was Piccolo and other characters like Tenshinhan and Yajirobe ((When he first appeared, I thought he was a relative to Kuririn)) and I was kinda lost at the beginning because I didn’t know the back story behind some of the characters…

But slowly, I started to get into the story with the help of many things. And they are as following:

- Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2: The first game I owned from the Dragon Ball franchise. ‘Though the story in it was a bit different, it kinda helped grasping some of the main points.

- Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3: The second game I had, and I learned more and more about the story and some characters, as well as introducing me to the “Funny, yet enjoyable” Japanese cast.

But the main thing that made me really know the series was the manga. I used to read those crappy scanlations that were flipped right to left, some untranslated dialogue and looked like it was drawn using Microsoft Paint and I think you all know it.

I also downloaded bootlegged DVD-ripped episodes and movies because they were not available “yet” in our region, and nobody had a problem with that…!!

And of course, the informative websites!!
One of the best sites that I used as a reference for Dragon Ball information was Dragon Ball Arena. I liked the guides they had as like "Mistakes", "Attacks" and "Parodies" well as the video and sound clips.

The other site was one I forgot its name, but I remember it had some information about the tournaments and funny pictures as well like a fan art of Trunks laughing at Vegeta’s loss against Perfect Cell, Gohan and the drugs, and loads of middle fingers.

Pojo’s website was also one of the regularly visited sites

And lastly……… Daizenshuu EX
I remember my first visit to it was during the year of Lunch ((year 7)). I loved the “Ask VegettoEX” part of it, as well as the Rumor guide, Transformation guide, movie guide and everything it had.

And last year, I started listening to the Podcast, and I’ve learned a lot with every episode I’ve listened to.

And finally, I’ve subscribed to the forums, and now… I know as much as an average fan… probably more than average, but not the same level as the masters!!

My most notable achievements: Bought all of Viz’s mangas, Bought all the Kanzenbans ((Chinese anyway)), Starting to collect all the official releases, reviewing the Black and Fire Red Bricks, Became a huge fan of Journey to the West.

My goals: Getting all the Japanese data books, buying all of FUNimation’s Dragon Boxes, Buying Super Cool figures, and lastly… watch all of Dragon Ball Kai.

And that my friends… was my story… my journey of knowing the greatness of Dragon Ball… One of the greatest things in the entire world!!

I like to thank all of those people who helped me building my knowledgement and interests of the series:

-Mohammad Noor Addeen: My best friend who got me into the series

-VegettoEX: The Master of DaizenshuuEX the website and podcast

-SaiyaJedi: The Grand Master of Dragon Ball information

-Meri: The wife of the Master

-Jeff: The Sexy voiced N00b

-Herms: The ((current)) No. 1 Walking Dragon Ball Library

-Hujio: The other Walking Dragon Ball Library

-Daimao: The best translator for the anime releases

-Tannoki Kuribo: The Information Provider of new Dragon Ball-related releases and items

-TeamFourStar: Best Dragon Ball Fan-Dubbing team

And everyone else in the Universe of DaizenshuuEX the forums
Thank you, and enjoy what’s left from the BBQ
Last edited by SHINOBI-03 on Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:51 am

Congratulations! Here's wishing you another 500 posts, and another happy 7 years as a DragonBall fan!
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:24 pm

Herms wrote:Congratulations! Here's wishing you another 500 posts, and another happy 7 years as a DragonBall fan!
^says the walking library.

Congrats! I'm on my way to 500 posts...

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:11 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:^says the walking library.
It's more like "the train-riding library".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:05 am

Herms wrote:Congratulations! Here's wishing you another 500 posts, and another happy 7 years as a DragonBall fan!
OMG!! It's been 7 years already?! :shock:

Holy... time realy does fly without feeling it...!!

Thanks, Herms & RoarkVegeta
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:18 am

Hehe, I hope if the czech republic has some closer and deeper relationed history to anime and manga as well, but unfortunately all series I watched in TV was on German and Polish channels.

Anyway congratulations, I must do something about my 500th post too, as you see, I'm beyond over beyonder and that's not something much pleasant 8)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SaiyanBlood

Post by SaiyanBlood » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:54 am

Congratulations!!!

Ahh, I'm so envious, but my time will come..

One day.One day!!

Oh, and I agree. Herms, you're a walking library.
:lol:

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:59 am

Wow. Makes me wanna write a story like this for myself. :P

When I was first introduced to the series, it was as Dragonball Z on Cartoon Network here in the Netherlands. I remember seeing Gohan, Kuririn and Bulma on what I think was fake planet Namek, and thinking "wasn't there this incredibly strong guy? Where is he?"(referring to Goku)

Later I started following the anime more closely as I witnessed Goku's first Super Saiyajin transformation(and wondering what the heck a "Saiyan" was). Ever since then, I've been hooked.

I guess I'll rewrite this post in far greater detail once I reach my 500th post. If ever...
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)

Post by chibi_goten » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:20 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote: Everything
Nice post man, interesting read. :)

This is what I miss about the intro's. =/

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:31 pm

Congrats on 500 posts Shinobi, you're certainly always fun to have around. Be sure to not stop there of course!

Chibi Goten makes a good point about the intros... but, then again, only a select few bothered to make such in-detail ones.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:38 am

bkev wrote:Chibi Goten makes a good point about the intros... but, then again, only a select few bothered to make such in-detail ones.
Are you suggesting that every new member should write about his Dragon Ball fandom story in his first post along with his introduction?

Well, I don't know if there are many who started in a different way other than watching it first on Toonami... I mean, look at mine...!!

I watched Dragon Ball because it was similar to a show I liked, which in turn, I liked it because it was similar to a show I liked...!!
My Anime List
My Manga List

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:25 am

When I consider how long I have truly been a Dragon Ball fan (almost two years), I feel dwarfed by these people who have been with it since it started airing in their country or even earlier.

Wish you well for the rest of your time her, Shinobi!

SaiyanBlood

Post by SaiyanBlood » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:11 am

Well, I don't know if there are many who started in a different way other than watching it first on Toonami... I mean, look at mine...!!
I was introduced to Dragonball From since I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. My youngest uncle lived with my grandmother, and he had been crazy of DB as a kid. He had a whole stack of the comics , and so out of boredom, my twin and I started flipping through them, since there was nothing else to read. We loved reading.

Then I became interested in the story, though I wasn't really a fanatic. One day Dragonball was aired on TV , and so, exchanging bewildered looks we sat down to watch. Ever since then we finished the whole stack of the manga, but we were just fans at the point, not fanatics.

In the last two years my interest in Dragonball returned, and I found out about the GT series and started collecting the merchandise. My twin also became interested.And.. well, here I am now :P