Name Pun Round-up

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Re: Name Pun Round-up

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:29 pm

Well, he kind of has a point. Replying to a sticky is never considered a necropost, and Herms's guides are all technically stickied... Kind of.
君と再会ったとき 子供のころ大切に想っていた景色を思い出したんだ
僕と踊ってくれないか 光と影の Winding Road いまでも彼に夢中なの?

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Well, he kind of has a point. Replying to a sticky is never considered a necropost, and Herms's guides are all technically stickied... Kind of.
I know replying to a sticky isn't a necropost, but this thread isn't a sticky. This one is.

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:26 pm

Piccolo Daimaoh wrote: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =necropost

You don't spend a lot of time on forums, do you?
I spend time enough to know differences in a dead thread and a useful/informative thread.

Or do you think a thread like this must simply die because it's "old"?
Piccolo Daimaoh wrote:
Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Well, he kind of has a point. Replying to a sticky is never considered a necropost, and Herms's guides are all technically stickied... Kind of.
I know replying to a sticky isn't a necropost, but this thread isn't a sticky. This one is.
I don't understand why you're complaining to me.
I tried to explain my point of view..
Chibi Mystic Gohan understood perfectly what the point.

Yes. This is not exactly the stickied post.
But can you imagine what would happen to the forum if all threads listed here were stickied?
Absolutely impossible.

In my point of view, if this thread is sticky, it's because all links there are indirectly stickied too.
An intelligent way to sticky all Herms's threads without mess the forum.
Capsule Corporation - New layout!!
Trying to be a great Brazilian portuguese DB site.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 pm

EnmaDaiou wrote:Just an observation.
It may be a veeeeery little detail, but in japanese dictionary (kokugo jiten) is said that "randoseru" comes from Netherlands word ransel.
I've seen it suggested both that it comes from the Dutch ransel or the German raenzel. Wikipedia goes with the ransel explanation, for what that's worth. Amusingly, when writing an explanation of the town's name for the latest Manga Review of Awesomeness podcast, I used the Dutch explanation without remembering that I had ever used any other. So I'll probably revise the explanation here. I really need to do a lot of revising in this thread, mostly for typos and whatnot.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 am

EnmaDaiou wrote: Or do you think a thread like this must simply die because it's "old"?
Yep. I'm really not in the mood to have a debate with someone with as poor English skills as yourself.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:14 am

EnmaDaiou, yes, this was a necropost. These threads are cataloged in the "Guides Guide" thread, but only for reference. They're not exempt from the necroposting rule. Just take note for the future, okay?

Piccolo Daimaoh, stop mini-modding and acting like a jerk.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:23 am

Kaboom wrote:EnmaDaiou, yes, this was a necropost. These threads are cataloged in the "Guides Guide" thread, but only for reference. They're not exempt from the necroposting rule. Just take note for the future, okay?
Okay.

I know it's a necroposting..
But even being a little detail I tough it wold be better to post here than create a new thread.

Should I create a new tread in this cases, when I have an observation or something to warn?

EDIT
Piccolo Daimaoh,
I'm sorry about my english. I can read, but as soon as I don't have much time to talk and write in english, I have difficult to improve it. So, I can understand but I have problems to write.
But my japanese skills are quite good comparing to english. That's why I tried to collaborate.
Last edited by EnmaDaiou on Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 am

You could always quote the relevant part from the guide and post your comments in the "Guide Guide" topic, I guess.

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:27 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:You could always quote the relevant part from the guide and post your comments in the "Guide Guide" topic, I guess.
Thank you.
I'll do it in next time.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:33 am

Yes, that's a great idea. The "Guides Guide" thread should be used for feedback, too.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Chibi Mystic Gohan
I Live Here

Post by Chibi Mystic Gohan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:34 am

Also, I can understand your English perfectly well, even if the grammar is a little off. Please don't be discouraged!

EnmaDaiou
Beyond Newbie

Post by EnmaDaiou » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:37 am

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Also, I can understand your English perfectly well, even if the grammar is a little off. Please don't be discouraged!
Thank you. :D
I'll try to improve it.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Herms wrote:In response to the thread in the questions forum on name puns, I’ve decided to start a thread compiling every known name pun. This is draft one. It’s not proofread at all, isn’t very well organized, and of course isn’t perfectly complete. So I want people to point out who/what is missing or needs expansion/correction. And then eventually the finished version will become a page on Kanzentai or something.

Tao Pai Pai
The kanji mean “Peach White White”, and it’s intended as a pseudo-Chinese name. Accordingly, it’s written in kanji (桃白白) with a katakana furigana reading (タオパイパイ), indicating that the kanji have a Chinese reading rather than a Japanese one (similar to Shenlong’s name or the names of the dragonballs). The proper way of rendering this Chinese reading in English would be "Tao Bai Bai".
Toriyama Explanation: “I wanted to use a name that would be a complete reversal of his image, a cute Chinese name, so I used this. I don’t even know if this name works as an actual Chinese name.” [DBF]
Name Spelling: 桃白白 (タオパイパイ)/Taopaipai
I always thought his name was a pun on Pai Pai "breasts".

Edit sorry about the necro post. :oops:

HECTOR4
Regular

Post by HECTOR4 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:04 pm

This is Angol (Angoru):

This is Moa (the subordinate that Paragus kills):

The two together form Angorumoa (Angolmois). Angolmois is a word related to the prophecies of Nostradamus: http://www.godswatcher.com/angol.htm

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:47 pm

HECTOR4 wrote:This is Angol (Angoru):

Planet Totokama that Angol refered is a pun for kamatoto. Kamatoto means "pretending to be innocent", and "acting cute to guys".

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:50 pm

ringworm128 wrote:I always thought his name was a pun on Pai Pai "breasts".
Toriyama didn't mention that in his explanation, though I guess that could have been in the back of his mind.
HECTOR4 wrote:The two together form Angorumoa (Angolmois). Angolmois is a word related to the prophecies of Nostradamus: http://www.godswatcher.com/angol.htm
I remember Julian saying something about that on the podcast. It seems a little unusual for a DB name pun, but it seems to fit. Apparently Angolmois is somewhat more well known in Japan (Japanese Wikipedia has an entire page for it, whereas English Wikipedia just redirects you to its Nostradamus page), and has been used as a bad guy name in various manga and anime. In fact, it seems that the more recent Dr. Slump anime had a monster named "Anko-kun" who was a parody on the concept. So maybe it isn't that odd a DB name pun after all.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

HECTOR4
Regular

Post by HECTOR4 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 pm

Herms wrote:
HECTOR4 wrote:The two together form Angorumoa (Angolmois). Angolmois is a word related to the prophecies of Nostradamus: http://www.godswatcher.com/angol.htm
I remember Julian saying something about that on the podcast. It seems a little unusual for a DB name pun, but it seems to fit. Apparently Angolmois is somewhat more well known in Japan (Japanese Wikipedia has an entire page for it, whereas English Wikipedia just redirects you to its Nostradamus page), and has been used as a bad guy name in various manga and anime. In fact, it seems that the more recent Dr. Slump anime had a monster named "Anko-kun" who was a parody on the concept. So maybe it isn't that odd a DB name pun after all.
Yes, this is a game of words related to the theme of the legend of Broly.

Sani

Post by Sani » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 am

I know this isn't Dragon Ball but I'm really curious about the puns from the new Dream 9 Crossover Special. Do you have any information about them?