Viz Manga Censorship Guide

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Viz Manga Censorship Guide

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Ashura gets credit for this idea, which I think is really good. It's basically a guide to censorship in the different printings of the manga. Please post the printing you own and whether or not it's censored, I'll compile them here. I'll go ahead and start. Feel free to request images. I own VizBIGs 1 and 2, and DBZ Tanks 1 and 2. I don't know what was and wasn't censored, so let me know if anything was censored in a volume.
CENSORED UNCENSORED

Dragon Ball Graphic Novel V.1 | 4th Printing | June 2001
Key Characteristics: Has 'Ages 13 and Up' callout plus 'As seen on the Cartoon Network' burst on cover.
Pg. 137, 138: Bulma's Boobs.

Dragon Ball Tankoubon V.1 | 10th Printing | March 2008
Key Characteristics: Has the new Viz Logo.

Dragon Ball VizBIG V.1 | First Printing | May 2008
Pg. 143: Bulma's Breasts
Pg. 153: Yamcha's Eye Boobs I'm not actually sure if this ever was censored, but I've heard it was, so I dunno.
Pg. 286: Middle Finger
Last edited by Pokewhiz7 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Viz Manga Censorship Guide

Post by Ashura » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:07 pm

Heh, awesome! I've just been too lazy to do it myself. This'll get me to contribute though.

It would probably be good to dig up links to the two older threads that have scans and outline all the various forms of censorship, too. If you can't find them, I'll find them in the morning.

I also have pretty much every version of volume one, so I'll take pictures so we can show examples.

It would be good to note which year it is with the printing, as well as which page things are on. That way it's easier for people to check their issues when they look. For instance, I don't know what's censored further and further into the DB tanks, but if someone mentions something I can check them if we have a 'check list' of things to look for.

For instance:

----

Dragon Ball Tankoubon V.1 | 10th Printing | March 2008
Key Characteristics: Has the new Viz Logo.

----

Dragon Ball Graphic Novel V.1 | 4th Printing | June 2001
Key Characteristics: Has 'Ages 13 and Up' callout plus 'As seen on the Cartoon Network' burst on cover.

----

We also need to come up with nomenclature for each edition. Something like Shonen Jump Tankoubons, Viz Bigs, and Graphic Novels.
Last edited by Ashura on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Okey dokey. I'm not familiar with all the variations to be honest, but I can help with finding copyright info. It should be in the front cover. I apologize if it's hard to read:
Last edited by Pokewhiz7 on Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:21 pm

I'll try to post information on the 3 different editions for each tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:31 pm

Mmkay, here's how to write them out:

Dragon Ball/Z Version V.# | Nth Printing | Date
Key Characteristics: Goes here.
Pg. #s: Stuff.
Censored Uncensored
Ashura wrote:I'll try to post information on the 3 different editions for each tomorrow if someone else doesn't beat me to it.
That would actually be really helpful.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Pokewhiz7 wrote:Pg. 13: WELL COME Not censored exactly, but it was corrected.
This brings up a bag of worms: how do you want to define "censorship"? Just any alteration to the image at all, besides changing the dialogue to English? Might make things tough to keep track of. Besides "WELL COME", there's the numerous instances of "RED RIBON" being corrected to "RED RIBBON". Then there's DB volume 10 when Tenshinhan deflects Yamcha's Kamehameha: Viz adds in Tenshinhan's arm bands in a panel where they were previously missing. Then there's the various English Viz adds to signs and such, like having the Tenkaichi Budoukai restaurant have "Veggie Manor" (or something like that) written under the kanji store sign, or the various tournament charts. All in all I think it's best to restrict this to things that were edited for the sake of toning down their content, as opposed to edits down for the sake of localization.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Pokewhiz7
I Live Here

Post by Pokewhiz7 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:07 pm

I suppose so, it would get too tricky anyway to keep track of everything changed.