How would you move past EoZ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: How would you move past EoZ?

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:31 am

Cetra wrote:
Gog wrote: It's not a case of that, it's a case of that they literally cannot exist in the same universe. However GT can still exist after Dragon Ball Super, it would just have to be heavily altered to fit in nicely.
And how would that "literally" be if you say that the point that I already said which does not matter (the point of contradictions being very irrelevant in fiction)? Also, of course the point is that it should happen after Super so I do not know why that second sentence was necessary. I think it is obvious that time-wise it lies after Super. And yet you mention "altering" and "fitting in" once more, so apparently the "it is not a case of that" was not meant to be about my explanation of how contradictions do not matter that much. Apparently you very well think they do.
I'm just stating that GT cannot exist after Super, the difference's grow with each day, why did Goku use SS3 against Baby rather than SSB? Why is Freeza so weak, why isn't Freeza using the golden form? Where's Beerus, why arent Goku, and Vegeta, and Uub training on Beerus's planet, with Whis. Why didn't Whis pop up when they were fighting Syn Shenron, and eat some icecream? Why is Goku using SS4 a form that unlocks all the power of a Saiyan, rather than SSB that can be stacked with Kaio KenX10

The fact is that if they place an unaltered GT after Super than it'll be considered a lazy thing and illogical way to do so, the contradictions are just too great for them too both exist unaltered in the same universe. The contradictions are just too great for them too both exist, or at least exist unaltered.

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:00 pm

I really dislike that EoZ takes place after Super. There's only so much you can cover during that time period and it would have been better if it took place after EoZ like GT did. I don't consider Super canon to the Manga because of this. Too many inconsistencies to the Manga as well and it even stereotypes the characters.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:29 pm

Big Green The Yoshi wrote:There's only so much you can cover during that time period
And only so much time this franchise can get stuck in 1 specific time period regardless. Who wants to see the cast in their current Buu-Super incarnations for another 10, or 20 years of content? Again, no previous "era" of Dragon Ball lasted more than 150 episodes in the same time frame. We always had major time skips that brought a cast shakeup. Even if EOZ didn't exist, Super should move on significantly further in time sooner than later.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Cetra wrote:
successoroffate wrote: If this ever happens, I would cry...a lot.
Out of joy or what?
Happiness and Nostalgia
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:03 pm

Basaku wrote:
Big Green The Yoshi wrote:There's only so much you can cover during that time period
And only so much time this franchise can get stuck in 1 specific time period regardless. Who wants to see the cast in their current Buu-Super incarnations for another 10, or 20 years of content? Again, no previous "era" of Dragon Ball lasted more than 150 episodes in the same time frame. We always had major time skips that brought a cast shakeup. Even if EOZ didn't exist, Super should move on significantly further in time sooner than later.
I don't need more major time skips, and we aren't anywhere close to 150 episodes. At least here, we can keep the main characters in their prime instead of trying to make the next generation take over.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:07 pm

ABED wrote:I don't need more major time skips, and we aren't anywhere close to 150 episodes. At least here, we can keep the main characters in their prime instead of trying to make the next generation take over.
What main characters? Piccolo, Kuririn, Tien past their prime for 20+ years now? Goten, Trunks, Pan, Bra way before their prime? Videl the background wife?

This only applies to Goku, Vegeta and maybe Bulma.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Basaku wrote:
ABED wrote:I don't need more major time skips, and we aren't anywhere close to 150 episodes. At least here, we can keep the main characters in their prime instead of trying to make the next generation take over.
What main characters? Piccolo, Kuririn, Tien past their prime for 20+ years now? Goten, Trunks, Pan, Bra way before their prime? Videl the background wife?

Piccolo is not past his prime, he can get stronger and Namekians seem to have a much longer life span than Earthlings or Saiyans.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:24 pm

Basaku wrote:

Those 3 are also the only relevant characters besides the Gods, the others you listed can't really be considered main characters.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:41 pm

ABED wrote:Piccolo is not past his prime, he can get stronger and Namekians seem to have a much longer life span than Earthlings or Saiyans.
So he would be fine if the franchise skipped few years further too. No offence, but it's like fans blindly and unquestionably repeat what Toriyama said and pass it as narrative 101 gospel lol. Particularly bizarre when it's about Dragon Ball fanbase, fans of a series that used to always move forward with its cast, not get stuck in same-old
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Those 3 are also the only relevant characters besides the Gods, the others you listed can't really be considered main characters.
But most of them used to be, until Toriyama decided to only focus on few, most of which are utterly stale at this point, Goku in particular.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:51 pm

Basaku wrote:
ABED wrote:Piccolo is not past his prime, he can get stronger and Namekians seem to have a much longer life span than Earthlings or Saiyans.
So he would be fine if the franchise skipped few years further too. No offence, but it's like fans blindly and unquestionably repeat what Toriyama said and pass it as narrative 101 gospel lol. Particularly bizarre when it's about Dragon Ball fanbase, fans of a series that used to always move forward with its cast, not get stuck in same-old
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Those 3 are also the only relevant characters besides the Gods, the others you listed can't really be considered main characters.
But most of them used to be, until Toriyama decided to only focus on few, most of which are utterly stale at this point, Goku in particular.
I have no idea what you're referring to when you bring up what Toriyama said, so I don't know if I agree. I could easily turn the tables on you. You want it to move forward in time simply because it has in the past, regardless if it necessary for the story. The story and characters can easily move forward without a few year gaps. I'd rather see the stories unfold instead of playing catch up. One of the things I liked so much about the Saiyan arc is that it took place over the course of a year and we saw that year by and large, at least in the anime.

If Goku's stale, then end the story. Don't force someone else into that position. It's been so long with him at the center and it doesn't work placing the focus on anyone else.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:00 pm

• Blooma and the other older Dragon Ball girls are kidnapped and have their youth restored by their kidnappers. Blooma uses her usual wiles to help them escape, all before Vegeta and the others have any time to do anything.
  • Goten runs around impregnating every girl he can find.
  • Mai forces Trunks to work, when all he wants to do is play.
  • A bored Gokuu picks a fight with various demon clans in the Makai, kickstarting a new chain of events in which the world is wrap up in battle.
  • Uub dies and we never have to think of him again.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:09 pm

ABED wrote:The story and characters can easily move forward without a few year gaps.
Current evidence shows that Toriyama/Toei don't know how to do it without time skip. Of course what you're saying is possible, but it's exactly what is not happening right now.
ABED wrote:If Goku's stale, then end the story. Don't force someone else into that position. It's been so long with him at the center and it doesn't work placing the focus on anyone else.
Or give him new developement instead of nearly caricaturing him. And focusing on someone else worked very well in Cell saga. And even if they still focus on Goku, there's a MASSIVE difference between Saiyan/Freeza saga and what Super is doing. Goku was main character of the ensemble cast then. At multiple points the core plot was being carried on exclusively by other characters (Kuririn/Gohan/Vegeta's race for the Dragon Balls on Namek while Goku was travelling in spaceship and doing nothing of importance). Nowadays, everything revolves around Goku (and Vegeta). Future Trunks and Bulma are the only characters who somehow recieve independent screentime and plot-critical involvement, mainly in last arc. Night and day between the period that elevated this franchise to the stuatus it has.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:59 pm

And your idea is to force change by jumping forward in time?

And focusing on someone else worked very well in Cell saga.
Who? Gohan? That didn't work out so well and I don't think he got nearly as much focus as you imply. Even at the end, it feels like Goku is the focus with Gohan acting as his proxy.
Kuririn/Gohan/Vegeta's race for the Dragon Balls on Namek while Goku was travelling in spaceship and doing nothing of importance
Goku was training for the inevitable clash with the strongest being in the known universe at the time. I'd say that was important. Everything revolving around the main character is nothing remotely new in DB. The story existed before Z. The best part of DB for me was the first series and Goku was firmly in the driver seat the whole time. It became a little more of an ensemble later. That just shows the story can do both and it's not bad if it is one or the other.
Night and day between the period that elevated this franchise to the stuatus it has.
Are we talking about popularity?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:10 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
  • Blooma and the other older Dragon Ball girls are kidnapped and have their youth restored by their kidnappers. Blooma uses her usual wiles to help them escape, all before Vegeta and the others have any time to do anything.
  • Goten runs around impregnating every girl he can find.
  • Mai forces Trunks to work, when all he wants to do is play.
  • A bored Gokuu picks a fight with various demon clans in the Makai, kickstarting a new chain of events in which the world is wrap up in battle.
  • Uub dies and we never have to think of him again.
Seriously? I don't see that happening ever outside of fanfics.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:20 pm

I would do what Toriyama tried and failed to do with the Buu Saga, put Goku on the sidelines as more of a nuclear option and let the young characters become the new main protagonists.

I'd basically set it up so that Uub and Pan (and maybe Gohan?) become the main characters, with Goku as like the mentor character. The "Z fighter" human characters would be retired, with Vegeta/Trunks/Goten taking their places. Maybe Krillin shows up but he never fights. Bulla could also become important eventually.

The next big bad would have to be newly created, or somehow undetected by the Gods.

I'd kill the Mai/Trunks thing cause it's weird.

I'd explore the idea of Vegeta becoming the God of Destruction.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:22 pm

funrush wrote:I would do what Toriyama tried and failed to do with the Buu Saga, put Goku on the sidelines as more of a nuclear option and let the young characters become the new main protagonists.

I'd basically set it up so that Uub and Pan (and maybe Gohan?) become the main characters, with Goku as like the mentor character. The "Z fighter" human characters would be retired, with Vegeta/Trunks/Goten taking their places. Maybe Krillin shows up but he never fights. Bulla could also become important eventually.

The next big bad would have to be newly created, or somehow undetected by the Gods.

I'd kill the Mai/Trunks thing cause it's weird.

I'd explore the idea of Vegeta becoming the God of Destruction.
Goku and Vegeta aren't washed up. Even at the end, they are in their primes.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Basaku wrote:Goku & Vegeta in supporting mentor roles, that's #1. Without it no "new generation" will ever happen. Just look at GT.

Dunno what to do with Uub. He needs extensive developement and introduction before he could even be considered main cast. EOZ really sucks in this regard, introducing new character last minute and making him instantly super important for no reason. Maybe pull a Dende on him and make him new God of Destruction, gives him important position yet frees the series up from this bizarre "obligation" to make him new main character or part of the main cast
Dende was developed as a character through the Namek arc. The audience had a connection to him, he wasn't just introudced out of nowhere and shoved into the spotlight.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:35 pm

funrush wrote:I would do what Toriyama tried and failed to do with the Buu Saga, put Goku on the sidelines as more of a nuclear option and let the young characters become the new main protagonists.
That could work the same way it did in JJBA:Diamond is Unbreakable: Jotaro is still considered the top dog for villains and allies alike, but the circumstances lead Josuke to be at the center of the action.

Not sure if Uub and Pan would be interesting characters to take the lead, thou. I guess they can be developed into something more compelling.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:54 pm

If I was in charge, my move would be to follow Goku through his life. I'm much more interested in the old gunfighter saddling up for the last time than the next generation.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:19 pm

I would make an arc in which Goku and Vegeta train their sons and Uub and after them they would train Bra and Pan. Time passes and the two Saiyans are getting old, so they decide to go on a planet to get their 3rd and last fight.
I would have this fight last very long, with all sorts of flashbacks, their families and friends talking about them and the effect they had on their lives and finally the battle would end like in Dragon Ball Online, with a gigantic Supernova after their Kamehameha and Galick Gun clash.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical