Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by sangofe » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:47 am

JulieYBM wrote:Wow, the first three series might get similar treatment? Come on Toei, you bastards, cut out the middle man and give us English subtitles on these things!
It is clearly stated in the video that it's a rumour.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Movies HD Remaster - Amazon Video/Netflix Japan - Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:35 am

mute_proxy wrote:
sintzu wrote:According to one of Geekdom's sources, the original 3 anime are planned to get this same remaster and start releasing next year on Blu-Ray in Japan.

https://youtu.be/hTfqTtKYLjo?t=280
"One person who is a credible source, ya'll should know I'm legit by know"

I dunno dude, that doesn't sound very reassuring lol :roll:
It's better than nothing. I'd take a rumor over nothing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 am

DB Movie 1 comparisons:

Funi 4-Pack:

DBox:

Remaster:

Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:59 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:Ugh, that price... Although the movies I'm interested in the most are fortunately paired together (Wrath of the Dragon/The Path to Power), the price is just too high for me.
I'm pretty sure this is half the price of the DVDs at least.
KBABZ wrote:I actually kind of agree here. At this point, anybody who wants to watch a dub is either watching Kai or the original release. Kai for improved performances and scripting, or the classic releases for nostalgia regarding the ham and VOs. For DB and GT in particular I can't see there being enough demand to warrant redubbing all 200+ episodes, particularly when they're still playing catchup with Super's dub and fans such as myself have a huge attachment to Nadolny's performance as Kid Goku.
Many English-speaking countries got the Albertan cast for DB and DBGT, and have no strong attachment to Nadolny. Plus, to me, Kai is unwatchable with the messy Kikuchi score. And even if you don't mind, DB doesn't have a Kai Version, so there needs to be some way to get the first six story arcs in English that isn't a reversioning. They're gonna run out of new ways to re-release the series, and eventually "A brand-new, accurate dub!" is going to be the next step. Tho, I guess that won't be THIS release. :/
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:06 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Many English-speaking countries got the Albertan cast for DB and DBGT, and have no strong attachment to Nadolny. Plus, to me, Kai is unwatchable with the messy Kikuchi score. And even if you don't mind, DB doesn't have a Kai Version, so there needs to be some way to get the first six story arcs in English that isn't a reversioning. They're gonna run out of new ways to re-release the series, and eventually "A brand-new, accurate dub!" is going to be the next step. Tho, I guess that won't be THIS release. :/
I agree that a Kai take on the original Dragon Ball anime would be great, but like most things regarding it, there just isn't demand for it, and if you do want it then things like Recut are great avenues.

TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBalishChannel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 am

sintzu wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
sintzu wrote:According to one of Geekdom's sources, the original 3 anime are planned to get this same remaster and start releasing next year on Blu-Ray in Japan.
https://youtu.be/hTfqTtKYLjo?t=280
"One person who is a credible source, ya'll should know I'm legit by know"
I don't know why you or anyone would or should put any stock into Geekdom's claims at this point. There have been several instances of him spreading misinformation when it comes to Dragon Ball. Recently TOEI Animation's Twitter has been uploading cel scans of scenes from Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z.

Geekdom appears to have been interpreting these tweets as subtle hints that there's a potential remaster coming for all three shows (DB, DBZ, DBGT):

In all fairness, he isn't the first person I've seen that has jumped to this conclusion.

In reality, there is no hidden purpose behind these. TOEI's recent tweets aren't "evidence" for an upcoming remaster and certainly shouldn't cause any speculation for such. Production cels have used to promote the show since it first started airing. Oftentimes production cels are used as an alternative to creating new artwork. These particular cel scans have been used on various pieces of Dragon Ball merchandise for decades.

One user politely responded to Geekdom on Twitter asking how he can seemingly confirm that these cel scans are "samples" of the "supposed" upcoming HD remasters of Dragon Ball, and this was his initial response:

Is that a fair and constructive response? Absolutely not. He's not only trying to invalidate the question by providing a non-answer, but he's also publicly targeting him by quoting the response. He continued by providing another nonconstructive answer to a user who was similarly skeptical of the claim:

I would like to reiterate that this is far from the first time Geekdom has perpetuated a false claim on Twitter. Take one more example:

This shot is in fact from a promo that is included as an extra on the Special Disc of Dragon Box Z: Volume 1.

I understand that this post may be deemed inappropriate considering it has little to do with the pertinent topic, but I have been growing increasingly frustrated with the apparent majority of the Dragon Ball fan community looking up to Geekdom as a reputable source for information. I will not deny his success on YouTube and other platforms, but his ignorant, immature demeanor towards people who question him is despicable. Likewise, the people who blindly supported his "yikes" response and every other tweet he has made in a similar vein are equally as disgusting to me.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 am

THANNNNNNKKKSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is said

As long as there is no announcement or other real evidences like it was the case for the movies with the online things, it's great to spare keeping dream for reality

movies HD remaster have been done to promote the 20th one "broly" nothing more, that's why they will be released around the movies in theater

remastering 17 movies is really less costly than more than 500episodes..
i really think that they made Dragon Ball Kai to reduce the episodes numbers to remaster...
worst with some case like saint seiya (where the movies are true HD remasters but bluray are only upscale with dnr) , same for others series, like sailor moon , dr slump who got hd remaster with DNR (for dr slump material is only in french bluray) , i really feel that if they made a db , z, gt bluray release it will look like all those ones... i can be wrong of course but as long as you don't have any official information, everyone should stop spreading rumors

Toei is used to promote anime with cels, on twitter it's the same for dr slump, sailor moon and probably others

this rumor started few months ago with the Toei compilations cels of dragon ball z but now people here talk like if it's done and 100% real informations.. we all hope the same things but it's not a reason to spread rumors or stated the things as a already done things...

for the moment nothing official and reliable say that the geekdom rumor is true or wrong so just let the rumor as it is, there is already member that talk like if the official announcement is done...

i came here and read the topic and really trust that it was true informations confirmed before checking and the last comment that gave me confirmation that's allways rumor

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 am

sangofe wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Wow, the first three series might get similar treatment? Come on Toei, you bastards, cut out the middle man and give us English subtitles on these things!
It is clearly stated in the video that it's a rumour.
It's clearly stated in my post that I use the word 'might' so as to indicate that the aforementioned event is not set in stone, too.

Although admittedly I did edit my post to include that to make my post more clear it seems like you're still quoting the edited version of my post.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:27 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:I'm pretty sure this is half the price of the DVDs at least.
That may be true, but that's an out of print release, so it's not really comparable. This is a brand new one. Sure, the price may be ordinary for a japanese BD release, but I still find it expensive nonetheless.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:49 am

simtek34 wrote:Yeah, I agree with sintzu. FUNimation should just discontinue their previous Z Blu-rays and release the new Toei masters instead. Nobody should have to watch that mess anymore after the beauty of the remaster Toei did for the movies and (possibly) the series.
Won't happen. Best we can expect is that the current BDs are demoted to a sort of "Budget release" status, while the new ones are more like a "Premium release"
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
sintzu wrote:Before we celebrate, if these are released in 4:3 and if Funimation decides to pick them up (I can't imagine why they wouldn't) then there's a chance they'll try to crop it to 16:9 so it'll be "the way it was meant to be seen". :sick:
While I wouldn't put it past them I don't think Funimation will crop or tamper with the colours if they release their own version (and I don't see why they wouldn't do it). Much like with the Dragon Boxes I would assume their version will be the Japanese release adapted for the English-speaking (and reading for the sub purists) market. Maybe they will change the placement of the NEPs, but thats probably going to be the extent.
I'm personally hoping for a faithful redub (and Geekdom said in a tweet its likely, so fingers crossed).
Funi don't screw with masters delivered to them by Toei, they only screw with masters they're creating for themselves. Worst we can expect from this is if Funi handle it like the DBoxes, which is to say that they only import Z, do a super-limited release of it that's marketed iffily and put out at a really high price, possibly with the US score track missing, and then never reprint them or talk about it again.
Having a repeat of the Dragon Boxes like this would utterly suck, and we as fans should push back as hard as possible if any signs of something like that happening rear their head.
sintzu wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Wow, the first three series will get similar treatment? Come on Toei, you bastards, cut out the middle man and give us English subtitles on these things!
None of their releases are subtitled so these probably won't either. Are best bet is for Funimation to release them and hopefully not mess with the image like they've always done.
The only time Funi have ever messed with the image is when they're producing their own master. The Dragon Boxes, Kai, Super, and pretty much every other series they've ever released have all left their picture in whatever form it was delivered to them in.

But yes, Toei will almost certainly not drop any subtitles on this release. Sucks, but them's the breaks. On the bright side, as I recall, Japanese Blu-Rays don't share a region with America, so your Blu-Ray player probably couldn't play it anyway.
TheBalishChannel wrote:
sintzu wrote:
mute_proxy wrote: "One person who is a credible source, ya'll should know I'm legit by know"
I don't know why you or anyone would or should put any stock into Geekdom's claims at this point. There have been several instances of him spreading misinformation when it comes to Dragon Ball. Recently TOEI Animation's Twitter has been uploading cel scans of scenes from Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z.

[spoiler]Image

Geekdom appears to have been interpreting these tweets as subtle hints that there's a potential remaster coming for all three shows (DB, DBZ, DBGT):

In all fairness, he isn't the first person I've seen that has jumped to this conclusion.

In reality, there is no hidden purpose behind these. TOEI's recent tweets aren't "evidence" for an upcoming remaster and certainly shouldn't cause any speculation for such. Production cels have used to promote the show since it first started airing. Oftentimes production cels are used as an alternative to creating new artwork. These particular cel scans have been used on various pieces of Dragon Ball merchandise for decades.

One user politely responded to Geekdom on Twitter asking how he can seemingly confirm that these cel scans are "samples" of the "supposed" upcoming HD remasters of Dragon Ball, and this was his initial response:

Is that a fair and constructive response? Absolutely not. He's not only trying to invalidate the question by providing a non-answer, but he's also publicly targeting him by quoting the response. He continued by providing another nonconstructive answer to a user who was similarly skeptical of the claim:

I would like to reiterate that this is far from the first time Geekdom has perpetuated a false claim on Twitter. Take one more example:

This shot is in fact from a promo that is included as an extra on the Special Disc of Dragon Box Z: Volume 1.[/spoiler]

I understand that this post may be deemed inappropriate considering it has little to do with the pertinent topic, but I have been growing increasingly frustrated with the apparent majority of the Dragon Ball fan community looking up to Geekdom as a reputable source for information. I will not deny his success on YouTube and other platforms, but his ignorant, immature demeanor towards people who question him is despicable. Likewise, the people who blindly supported his "yikes" response and every other tweet he has made in a similar vein are equally as disgusting to me.
That stuff is troubling, but he generally has proven himself a reputable news source in the past, so...

Anyway, to me it seems more likely that Geekdom was informed of a planned HD master of DB, Z, and GT, and he just assumed these cel shots are part of that than it is that he saw those cels and assumed it meant a HD master...
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
linkdude20002001 wrote:I'm pretty sure this is half the price of the DVDs at least.
That may be true, but that's an out of print release, so it's not really comparable. This is a brand new one. Sure, the price may be ordinary for a japanese BD release, but I still find it expensive nonetheless.
It is expensive. Very expensive. But that's common for Japanese Blu ray/DVD releases. Unfortunately. Basically it is what it is. For now. Once FUNi releases them, if they even do release them, they'll be much cheaper.
Robo4900 wrote:But yes, Toei will almost certainly not drop any subtitles on this release. Sucks, but them's the breaks. On the bright side, as I recall, Japanese Blu-Rays don't share a region with America, so your Blu-Ray player probably couldn't play it anyway.
Aren't Japan and the US both region A? I just did a quick google search and it looks like they're both region A.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:36 am

Robo4900 wrote:That stuff is troubling, but he generally has proven himself a reputable news source in the past, so...

Anyway, to me it seems more likely that Geekdom was informed of a planned HD master of DB, Z, and GT, and he just assumed these cel shots are part of that than it is that he saw those cels and assumed it meant a HD master...
1) I don't recall one instance where he was totally on the mark. In fact, I don't think he's ever reported on something that either Kanzenshuu didn't know about first, or he wasn't wrong about. He always puts his foot in his mouth.

2) There is no way in hell he has a Japanese source from Toei that has authorized him to tell the entire west about a remaster before Japan even knows about it. And even so, he and TeeHallums claimed that the cels were evidence of a remaster, and that they were sure of that. "You heard it here first," and all of that BS. So they deserved to be called out on it, not just sweeping it under the rug because they've built these undeserved names for themselves.

Knowing my luck, there probably will be a remaster and Geekdom can come out and continue to be rude to all of us like, "YoU sEe? I wAs RiGhT AlL aLoNg!!!!1

Soon Geekdom will be writing for Dragon Ball with how "right" he is about everything.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:36 am

Bajosexto wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:But yes, Toei will almost certainly not drop any subtitles on this release. Sucks, but them's the breaks. On the bright side, as I recall, Japanese Blu-Rays don't share a region with America, so your Blu-Ray player probably couldn't play it anyway.
Aren't Japan and the US both region A? I just did a quick google search and it looks like they're both region A.
Oh. I must be thinking of DVD regions.
Arian wrote:There is no way in hell he has a Japanese source from Toei that has authorized him to tell the entire west about a remaster before Japan even knows about it. And even so, he and TeeHallums claimed that the cels were evidence of a remaster, and that they were sure of that. "You heard it here first," and all of that BS. So they deserved to be called out on it, not just sweeping it under the rug because they've built these undeserved names for themselves.
I mean, fair enough, but the guy getting the wrong end of the stick from misinterpreting those posts of Toei's isn't something worth shitting on the guy for.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:39 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Arian wrote:There is no way in hell he has a Japanese source from Toei that has authorized him to tell the entire west about a remaster before Japan even knows about it. And even so, he and TeeHallums claimed that the cels were evidence of a remaster, and that they were sure of that. "You heard it here first," and all of that BS. So they deserved to be called out on it, not just sweeping it under the rug because they've built these undeserved names for themselves.
I mean, fair enough, but the guy getting the wrong end of the stick from misinterpreting those posts of Toei's isn't something worth shitting on the guy for.
No, but when we tell him how things really are and he acts like a snooty elitist as a form of response, then yeah, it's totally worth it to me.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:47 am

Robo4900 wrote:
The Ratchet fandom has a similar (if not quite as severe) problem. The issue is that he thinks he's hot shit when he's not, and can't ever seem to take a hint or learn from mistakes or be humble. And unfortunately the US fandom is stupid enough to buy into what he's selling and not realize that he's talking BS.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:50 am

In addition to what TheBalishChannel notes about these kinds of high-quality/sourced images being used and where, another source has been from FUNimation themselves in conjunction with Toei in locations like Amazon descriptions. These are nothing new, and are not necessarily indicative of anything at any point in time about anything in particular.

viewtopic.php?p=338894#p338894

The relevant points about external commentary and reporting have now been made.

Please keep all further discussion on-topic about the actual films' release.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:59 am

Arian wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:That stuff is troubling, but he generally has proven himself a reputable news source in the past, so...

1) I don't recall one instance where he was totally on the mark. In fact, I don't think he's ever reported on something that either Kanzenshuu didn't know about first, or he wasn't wrong about. He always puts his foot in his mouth.

2) There is no way in hell he has a Japanese source from Toei that has authorized him to tell the entire west about a remaster before Japan even knows about it. And even so, he and TeeHallums claimed that the cels were evidence of a remaster, and that they were sure of that. "You heard it here first," and all of that BS. So they deserved to be called out on it, not just sweeping it under the rug because they've built these undeserved names for themselves.

Knowing my luck, there probably will be a remaster and Geekdom can come out and continue to be rude to all of us like, "YoU sEe? I wAs RiGhT AlL aLoNg!!!!1

Soon Geekdom will be writing for Dragon Ball with how "right" he is about everything.

I'm glad you know so much about me, have successfully tapped into my phone lines and PC, and know everything I'm about to do before I do it, and studied my entire history.

Also LOL - "Built Undeserved Names" ROFL! Three years of busting my ass is undeserved?

Believe what you want pal... I'm losing no sleep. All I know is that there's more salt in this post than the Ocean.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm

So uh, thoughts on the odd logo they're deciding to use? It looks like something made when Photoshop was first coming out in the 90s, and isn't like any existing Dragon Ball logo I've ever seen.

EDIT: Of course the file is called "moviesbluraytemp.png"...

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:29 pm

KBABZ wrote:So uh, thoughts on the odd logo they're deciding to use? It looks like something made when Photoshop was first coming out in the 90s, and isn't like any existing Dragon Ball logo I've ever seen.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

EDIT: Of course the file is called "moviesbluraytemp.png"...
Haha. It looks like they've slapped together some old '90s art and just using it a temp shot. Not a bad picture as far as temp art goes, but I get the sense each volume will have its own art based around the movies contained within.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:34 pm

I wonder how much better the blurays will look compared to the Netflix/amazon copies. Those look pretty good! Is there a comaprison to other titles that have both amazon/netflix and bluray releases? I'm guess they'll be a tad more detail (and hopfully DBox audio)