GT chronology

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

GT chronology

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:33 pm

----Notice:This old thread is part of my series of guides. To avoid necro-posting, please post any comments you have in the sticky thread for my guides, rather than here. Thanks!----

Over my Christmas break while I was back at home, I watched all of DragonBall GT, minus the TV special. While I was doing this, I took notes on quite a few things, episode by episode, in order to make various guides for GT in the future. One of these was to keep track of all the mentions and signs of how much time passes over the course of the series. So here are my results of that. If you help me fill in the gaps in my notes and memory, I’d like to try and make an improved and complete version of the Perfect Files vol. 1’s GT timeline.

So first off, when GT begins: The show itself never says, but officially it’s Age 789, five years after Goku takes off with Uub. This is stated quite a few times throughout the GT Perfect Files. I’m not sure where the notion that it’s 10 years after Z comes from. I’ve heard some people say that the series itself says 10 years, but having watched the whole series all the way through twice now, I can say for certain that isn’t true. I’ve also heard it originates in some dub of the series (a non-Funi dub, as I’ve also heard the “10 years” misconception predates Funi’s dub of the series).

Earth (episodes 1-2)
After Goku’s turned into a child, it’s at least one day before he, Trunks, and Pan take off into space. In episode 2, someone (I forgot to write down who) says that the spaceship will be ready by as early as tomorrow. It’s unclear though how long the start of episode 2 is from 1. Creating a spaceship in just a day seems pretty crazy, though this is DragonBall.

Imegga (episodes 3-5)
Once they take off, it’s a week before they crash on Planet Imegga, according to a scene on Earth with Chi Chi and Bulma. They then spend four days on Imegga: after crashing, they spend the night at a hotel, have their spaceship stolen the next day, steal it back that night, find themselves wanted criminals the next day, defeat Don Kia and his men that night, then leave the next day.

Mommath (episode 6)
Planet Mommath seems to be one single day. It’s unknown how long it takes them to get there from Imegga, or how long it takes them to get from Mommath to Calvo.

Calvo, Bihe, Lood (episodes 7-14)
They spend two days on Planet Calvo, spending the night there to get Trunks into his bride disguise, then confronting Zunama the next day. Bonpara steals their dragonball immediately afterwards, then they go after them and get lured into Planet Bihe. The Para-Para Brothers are able to go the Planet Lood and back without Goku and co. realizing they’re gone, so apparently the trip doesn’t take very long. So altogether the Bihe and Lood stuff could all be a single day.

Rudeze, (episode 15)
I’ve got down that Planet Rudeze takes place over two days, but, um…I can’t really remember why. I’ve got “day” and “night” down in quotation marks, so I think this must be when they’re shown sleeping in the spaceship. But I thought that was when they passed by M2…were there two “nighttime in the spaceship” scenes?

M2, Mu’s nameless planet, Pital (episodes 16-24)
Like with Rudeze, I’ve got the events of Planet M2 up to Mu’s laboratory planet taking place over two days as well, but again I have forgotten to write down why. According to the GT Perfect Files timeline, Goku and co. encounter Baby “several months” after going into space. It’s unclear how long it is from their first encounter with Baby to rescuing the boy on the derelict ship and going to Planet Pital. The show kind of implies they reach the derelict ship immediately after departing from M2, but Baby must have needed some time to get ahead of them and take out that ship.

Baby on Earth (episodes 25-27)
Bulma and Chi Chi (or Videl or whoever, didn’t write it down again) says that it’s been 9 months since Goku and co. left. Bizarrely, she then adds that they’ve got 4 months left until the Earth explodes. So, uh, are years 13 months long in the Dragon World? Baby shows up, fights Goten and Gohan, and manages to take over Vegeta by that night, so these three episodes are all one day. What’s interesting is that the scenes on Earth are juxtaposed with scenes of Goku and co. finding the three remaining dragonballs. I’d chock this up to artistic license of whatever, since presumably they didn’t get all three in the same day (but again, this is DragonBall).

Goku and co.’s return, Planet Tsufuru, the Earth explodes (episodes 28-40)
According to Mister Satan, it’s been 2 months since things started getting weird on Earth, so it’s been that long between Baby arriving on Earth and Goku and co. returning. This also means that it’s been a total of 11 months since Goku and co. left Earth. It seems Baby defeats Goku the same day Goku and co. arrive back, but after that the timeline gets hazy. We never see any night anywhere from Baby’s defeat of Goku to Baby being destroyed by SSJ4 Goku, but it seems pretty hard to believe that everything from Goku and co. returning from space to Baby’s defeat was all one day, especially with the immigration of all those people to Planet Tsufuru, but once again, this is DragonBall.
However…

After Baby is defeated, Dende (?) says it’s been almost a year now, and that they have two weeks before the Earth explodes. Earlier, right after Goku and co. came back, we’d been told a total of 11 months had gone by since Goku and co. left, so this missing half a month could be due to either rounding down off earlier, the time between Pilaf’s wish and Goku and co. leaving, the time between Goku and co. arriving and Baby’s defeat, or all three.

At any rate, with a year having gone by between the start of the series, it must now be Age 790. The Perfect Files timeline says Goku defeated Baby in 789, so the new year must have come during the two week period between his defeat and the Earth exploding. This means the battle with Baby was in late December, while Pilaf’s wish was in early January. So Imegga was probably also in January, and Baby arrived on Earth in October.

Tenkaichi Budoukai (episode 41)
Another instance where it’s unclear how much time has gone by. However, it does seem that a good deal of time has gone by since Baby’s defeat, as the Earth is back to normal. Still, everyone looks exactly the same as they did before, so it doesn’t seem to be a number of years (not that that’s always a very reliable method of telling time in DB). The Tenkaichi Budoukai is always held on May 7th, so presumably that’s when this is. If this is still 790, that means it’s been 4-5 months since the stuff with Baby and the Earth exploding was finally settled. I think that’s a decent timeframe for everything on Earth to settle back down to normal.

Anyway, what number Tenkaichi Budoukai is this? The series itself never says, and neither do the Perfect Files. The last known one was the 28th, back in Age 784. Interestingly, when Pan is trying to get through to Golden Oozaru Goku, she refers to the 28th TB as “the first time” she entered the tournament, meaning there’s been at least one between the 28th and this one. The Tenkaichi Budoukai has usually been held every three years ever since the 21st, but there have been some exceptions. Still, assuming they have kept with the 3 year schedule, and that this is 790, that would make this the 30th Tenkaichi Budoukai, and mean that Pan entered the 29th TB in 787.

Super No.17 (episodes 42-47)
Again, no indication of how long it’s been since the last episode. All the events themselves up to Super No.17’s defeat seem to be a single day. It doesn’t say how long it took Goku and co. to gather the dragonballs, but if Goku and Bulma took 9 days to do it back in the day, it probably wouldn’t take them more than a week now, possibly even a single day.

Evil Dragons (episodes 48-64)
After they try to make the wish, Goku and Pan go straight to Liang Xing Long and defeat him, then fight Wu Xing Long right after, so episodes 48-50 are all a single day. However, a lot of time passes before the fight Liu Xing Long, as enough time has passed for life in Bish’s village to have changed. Bish says his father and the rest have gotten lazy “ever since the princess appeared” and that they go out “every day” to gather the fish that drops from the sky. So it’s been awhile since the appearance of the Evil Dragons, at least a week or so. Episode 51 itself takes place over not more than a day, then an unidentified amount of time passes, they fight Qi Xing Long over less than a day, then another unknown gap, then Si/San/Yi Xing Long. So it’s possible that episodes 51-64 are all over a single day (until the 100 year flash forward, of course). I’d want to say they’re at least 3 days though, just to space it out.

100 years later (TV special, episode 64)
OK, so I didn’t watch the GT special, because I don’t own it. Both the special and the end of 64 are said to be a hundred years later, so they’re presumably the same year (though I guess that could just be rounding off). Assuming the end of the Evil Dragons stuff is still during 790, the year would be 890. Assuming the date of the Tenkaichi Budoukai hasn’t changed over 100 years, the end of 64 is set on May 7th.

Background stuff
The GT Perfect Files timeline has the following dates for background events of the series:

Around 238 Before-Age: The appearance of the Super Saiyan
This is supposed to be the equivalent of a BC/BCE date, and the idea is that this is 1,000 years before Goku becomes a Super Saiyan on Planet Namek, in Age 762 (238+762=1000). Interestingly, Daizenshuu 7 gives them same date as “Around 239 Before-Age”, but since they’re both explicitly approximations, a year’s difference doesn’t really matter.

Around Age 550: The primeval Saiyans drift to Planet Plant
Around Age 720~730: All-out confrontation between the Saiyans and Tsufuru
Around Age 735: Repeated incidences of insurrection among the Saiyans
Age 737: Kakarotto (Son Goku) is born!! Planet Vegeta is destroyed

These dates are all the same ones as in Daizenshuu 7

Age 731: The Saiya-jin and Freeza join forces
This is the same as in Daizenshuu 7, except there it was “around Age 731”, while here the date is given as an exact one, not an approximation.

Age 735: The “Universal Tsufuru-ization Plan” goes into operation
Age 740: Doctor Mu is born
Age 760-770: Planet M2 is completed, Rild is linked to it

All dates original to the Perfect Files timeline. None of them seem to be based off anything said in the show, so they’re basically background information.

Age 775: Doltaki becomes Baby’s underling, Loodism begins
This would be 14 years before the show, which contradicts a Loodite in the show who says that Doltaki first appeared 20 years ago and worked miracles (he seemed pretty old, so maybe his memory is going?). Interestingly, there’d be not much of a contradiction if GT really did take place 10 years after Z, in 794, but again the same timeline says the show starts in 789, so this argument would only work if you accepted the timeline for one thing but ignored it for another.
Last edited by Herms on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:49 pm

Wow... Takes dedication to watch all GT.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:00 pm

sangofe wrote:Wow... Takes dedication to watch all GT.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Wow Herms, it completely blows my mind that you did this. I started to do the same thing for my personal sake and it melted my brain. In the Dragonball series its always hard (at least for me) to tell how much time has passed, even if the narrator or dub tells you. Like you said sometimes things has a way of contradicting itself. This becoming a real pain for me because I'm almost finished the first half of my fancomic script but I find myself going back to check to see if things make since, time wise. I'm this close to saying "oh fuck it, I'll just not mention years or timelines."

The timelines are the same as ages! Some fans tell bananas, others tell me oranges. Thanks for doing this though, this might come in handy later.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:27 pm

sangofe wrote:Wow... Takes dedication to watch all GT.
I like GT well enough. The only part that was a real chore to watch was the Evil Dragons stuff. At any rate, jet lag had me getting up at 2:00 AM for half my vacation, so I had to do something.

Apart from jet lag, one reason I wanted to do this is that there's a lot of misconceptions and misinformation about GT, which don't seem to be corrected half the time because people don't watch it. I guess the motto for these guides I want to make could be "watching GT so you don't have to".

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Very good job on this, Herms. Maybe see if you can get this on Kanzentai, or even save in your sig like I've done with a couple things I've written. You're very accurate, pointed out your specific sources (Perfect Files, Simmons' subs I'm assuming), and got a natural talent for writing. Here's hoping we can see more stuff like this from you in the future and I'll definitely keep this guide in mind next time I go through GT. On a separate subject, you spoke of jet-lag, you're back in the States?
14 years later

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:02 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Very good job on this, Herms. Maybe see if you can get this on Kanzentai, or even save in your sig like I've done with a couple things I've written. You're very accurate, pointed out your specific sources (Perfect Files, Simmons' subs I'm assuming), and got a natural talent for writing. Here's hoping we can see more stuff like this from you in the future and I'll definitely keep this guide in mind next time I go through GT. On a separate subject, you spoke of jet-lag, you're back in the States?
Aw, thanks for the compliments. My plan would be to eventualy make a sort of Daizenshuu 7-type guide for GT, because the Perfect Files, while quite nice, don't have the really in-depth dictionary things in 7. So in addition to a timeline that condences my first post, I'd have a character dictionary, a technique dictionary, an item/vehicle dictionary, and a place dictionary.

I was home for eight days during my Christmas break, but now I'm back in Tokyo. So now I have more jet lag, just as it was starting to wear off...

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:10 pm

You are the next best thing to Toriyama himself and I view you as the walking, talking “Perfect Daizenshuu File Encyclopedia Guy”, and you like Dragonball GT. You get two thumbs up. :D
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Herms wrote:I like GT well enough. The only part that was a real chore to watch was the Evil Dragons stuff.
Maybe GT is not a bad as remembered. I did watch it years ago on bootleg video tapes. I have to admit I did skim through most of the series trying to find all the good parts. I'm going to give it another go.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:52 pm

Herms wrote:
Conan the SSJ wrote:Very good job on this, Herms. Maybe see if you can get this on Kanzentai, or even save in your sig like I've done with a couple things I've written. You're very accurate, pointed out your specific sources (Perfect Files, Simmons' subs I'm assuming), and got a natural talent for writing. Here's hoping we can see more stuff like this from you in the future and I'll definitely keep this guide in mind next time I go through GT. On a separate subject, you spoke of jet-lag, you're back in the States?
Aw, thanks for the compliments. My plan would be to eventualy make a sort of Daizenshuu 7-type guide for GT, because the Perfect Files, while quite nice, don't have the really in-depth dictionary things in 7. So in addition to a timeline that condences my first post, I'd have a character dictionary, a technique dictionary, an item/vehicle dictionary, and a place dictionary.

I was home for eight days during my Christmas break, but now I'm back in Tokyo. So now I have more jet lag, just as it was starting to wear off...
*Looks up Japanese word for guides or magizines*

Kanzensendatsu: The awesome [online/printed] fanzine!!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:02 pm

JulieYBM wrote:*Looks up Japanese word for guides or magizines*

"Sendatsu" means guide in the sense of a person, not a book though.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:04 pm

Age 735: The “Universal Tsufuru-ization Plant” goes into operation
What does that mean is that what Bebi calls Planet M2 or is it when he starts gathering his crew to gather energy for him so he can get revenge on the Saiyans later?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:10 pm

Herms wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:*Looks up Japanese word for guides or magizines*

"Sendatsu" means guide in the sense of a person, not a book though.
Internet, why do you fail me??!!

Well, you can always pull a POJO and publish a magizine...but that takes money.

Truthfully, if DaizenshuuEX and Kanzentai worked to put out an accurate fanzine I'd buy. I think we all would!!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:25 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:What does that mean is that what Bebi calls Planet M2 or is it when he starts gathering his crew to gather energy for him so he can get revenge on the Saiyans later?
Ahaha...that should be the "Universal Tsufuru-ization Plan", not "plant" (whoops); it's Baby's long-term plan to turn everyone into the universe into a Tsufuru, and rule over all. It's referred to several times thoughout the Baby episodes.

I'll post the full text from the Perfect Files timeline on those GT background dates:

Age 735: The “Universal Tsufuru-ization Plan” goes into operation!
While drifting through space, Baby swears vengeance against the Saiya-jin for wiping out the Tsufuru-jin. Furthermore, he devises the “Universal Tsufuru-ization Plan”, in order to revive the Tsufuru.

Age 740: Doctor Mu is born!
Baby manufactures Doctor Mu in order to gather the resurrection energy he needs to obtain a powerful body. Baby programs Mu with the method of developing machine mutants, and production begins on Lood, M2, and the others.

Age 760-770: Planet M2 is completed
Doctor Mu makes the alien Rild a general, in addition to restructuring his body. At the same time, the super gigantic planet-type machine mutant (Planet M2) is completed, its functions having been linked to General Rild. Using Planet M2 as a base, the M2 Army begins gathering energy from throughout the universe.

Age 775: Doltaki becomes Baby’s underling!
Doctor Mu makes the space swindler Doltaki one of his subordinates, and gives him Lood, the strongest machine mutant. Doltaki uses his skills as a swindler to create the scam religion Loodism, and begins gathering energy from its adherents.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:35 pm

That whole 10 year thing really does predate the Funi dub by a lot. The first time I saw GT was about a decade ago, before I'd even seen all of Z, and even then I thought it was 10 years later. I probably got that from a fansite or another fan at the time, who knows where they got it from.

Anyway, good work as usual Herms!

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:06 pm

One thing I do not quite understand is when Bebi created Mu and the others does the Dragonball GT Perfect Files state what form Bebi existed in because GT shows three possible candidates.

There is the embryonic stage, which I seriously doubt he could create and program other machine mutants in this form.

The semi-mature embryonic stage:

Or he achieved the full-adult Tsufuruian stage previous to his attaining it again later.

But that leaves the question of why would he revert back unless he pulled a Cell.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:10 pm

Is there a concrete year when GT started?
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:One thing I do not quite understand is when Bebi created Mu and the others does the Dragonball GT Perfect Files state what form Bebi existed in because GT shows three possible candidates.
[snip]
But that leaves the question of why would he revert back unless he pulled a Cell.
I don't think it ever says either way. Perhaps the act of creating Mu made him use up so much energy as to cause him to revert to an earlier stage? Though Baby says he created Mu for the purpose of his own development, so he couldn't have been too developed when he created him in the first place.
B wrote:Is there a concrete year when GT started?
789, according to the Perfect Files.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:28 pm

Herms wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:One thing I do not quite understand is when Bebi created Mu and the others does the Dragonball GT Perfect Files state what form Bebi existed in because GT shows three possible candidates.
[snip]
I don't think it ever says either way. Perhaps the act of creating Mu made him use up so much energy as to cause him to revert to an earlier stage? Though Baby says he created Mu for the purpose of his own development, so he couldn't have been too developed when he created him in the first place...
That makes a lot of sense and so he would have had to revert to his embryonic stage to conserve his remaining power. Which leads to a theory I had if things had went according to plan and Bebi had achieved full power without Kakarrot and the others interfering he would have looked like this:

At least a powerful Tsufuruian adult:

Herms

Post by Herms » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:37 am

So I said I wanted to make a timeline of GT from all this, one more complete than the one in the Perfect Files vol.1. I've already given all the facts in the matter, that I'm aware of, but they aren't specific enough to make a really exact timeline. So to fill in the gaps, I thought I'd use the airdates of the episodes and whatnot to arbitrarily pick things. You might ask what the point of that would be, but since much of what I came up with is "x happens, then a day passes, then another day, then a week passes, etc", I think picking dates for certain events and calculating from there would make it easier to keep track of stuff.

First off, for the date of Pilaf's wish: I already determined this must be sometime in January; now, this is cheating (even by my made-up rules), but the first episode of GT was broadcast on February 7th, so I figured I'd take that date and move it back a month to get January 7th. Keeping with that, I'd assume it took them a week to build the spaceship, and have the launch be January 14th, a month earlier than the original airdate of episode 2. The early parts of the episode, with Goku being kidnapped, would be the 13th.

Keeping with both the show and my made-up rules, Goku and co. would reach Imegga a week later, on January 21st, then leave on the 24th.

Going by my rules again, Goku and co. reach Mommath on March 13th, the date of the original broadcast for that episode. I could just do this for Calvo too, but to spread things out a little, I'll say Goku and co. reach Planet Bihe on that episode's airdate, April 24th, and that they reached Calvo the day before, following the show's chronology. The Lood stuff would then also be on the 24th.

The Rudeze stuff would then be on June 12th, that episode's airdate, and whatever early stuff that I can't quite remember that makes this episode take two days would be on the 11th. Why not do it the other way around, and have the episode be June 12-13th? Because June 11th is King Kamehameha Day, and it amuses me to use that date.

To space things out again, I'd put M2/Mu's lab starting on August 21st, the date of the last full episode set there. Then the derelict spaceship and Pital would be August 28th, the airdate for that episode.

Like I said earlier, the show combined with the Perfect File timeline indicate Baby arrived on Earth in October, nine months after Goku and co. blast off. The episode where Baby arrives on Earth aired October 16th, and since I've already set Goku and co. leaving on January 14th, this all works frighteningly well. The Earth portions of the three episodes where Baby takes over the Saiyans on Earth would be a single day, but I'll use the three different airdates for when Goku and co. track down the three remaining dragonballs. So the one with the tiger planet would be around the same time as October 16th, the dinosaur planet would be October 30th, and the ice planet would be November 6th.

Goku and co. have to return to Earth sometime around December 14th, 11 months after they left, so I picked December 18th, which is actually when DBZ movie 6 aired instead of an episode. It was the start of a long break in new episodes, which seems vaguely appropriate for the date of Goku being defeated by Baby.

The Earth would explode on January 7th, 890, assuming the year-long period goes by hours and minutes and not days (that is, if Pilaf wished at 12:00 PM Jan.7th 789, the Earth would explode at 11:59 AM Jan.7th 790). It was two weeks between this and Goku defeating Baby, so backtracking that would place it on December 24th, which would have the neat effect of making it 27 years to the day after Goku fought Freeza and became a Super Saiyan, going by Daizenshuu 7. The would make a 6 day gap between Goku's initial defeat and him destroying Baby.

We already know the Tenkaichi Budoukai is held on May 7th.

Skipping Super No.17 for the moment, instead of airdates, I wanted to match up Goku's battle with the Evil Dragons with the original search for the dragonballs, using Daizenshuu 7's dates for those events. So the first day of this arc, when the dragons appear and Liang/Wu Xing Long are defeated would be August 22nd, when Bulma finds Wu Xing Qiu in North Valley. The date when she found her first dragonball, Liang Xing Qiu, is unknown; it's interesting to note that the order Goku and Pan encounter the Evil Dragons seems to closely match up with the order in which they were found in the first search for them back in DB, only with the 4 and 3 star dragons moved up to before 1 (original DB search: 2-5-4-3-6-7-1, Evil Dragons: 2-5-6-7-4-3-1).

Then Goku and Pan fight Liu Xing Long on September 5th, the same date Goku and Bulma recieved the Liu Xing Qiu for taking care of Oolong. Then the final battle with Si/San/Yi Xing Long would be September 9th, the date Pilaf summoned Shen Long. I'm not sure whether to put the battle with Qi Xing Long on the same day, matching Bulma and co. finding Qi Xing Long and encountering Pilaf were on the same day, or to space things out and put it on September 7th, right between the fights with Liu Xing Long and Si/San/Yi Xing Long.

Going back to Super No.17, if Goku and co. finished collecting the dragonballs on August 22nd, the date Super No.17 stuff would be determined by however long they searched for them, but we don't really know that. I've picked August 12th, the airdate for the episode in Z where Cell absorbs No.17, as that kind of fits. This makes them spend 10 days looking for the dragonballs.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Re: GT chronology

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:58 am

Herms wrote: Tenkaichi Budoukai (episode 41)
Another instance where it’s unclear how much time has gone by. However, it does seem that a good deal of time has gone by since Baby’s defeat, as the Earth is back to normal. Still, everyone looks exactly the same as they did before, so it doesn’t seem to be a number of years (not that that’s always a very reliable method of telling time in DB). The Tenkaichi Budoukai is always held on May 7th, so presumably that’s when this is. If this is still 790, that means it’s been 4-5 months since the stuff with Baby and the Earth exploding was finally settled. I think that’s a decent timeframe for everything on Earth to settle back down to normal.

Anyway, what number Tenkaichi Budoukai is this? The series itself never says, and neither do the Perfect Files. The last known one was the 28th, back in Age 784. Interestingly, when Pan is trying to get through to Golden Oozaru Goku, she refers to the 28th TB as “the first time” she entered the tournament, meaning there’s been at least one between the 28th and this one. The Tenkaichi Budoukai has usually been held every three years ever since the 21st, but there have been some exceptions. Still, assuming they have kept with the 3 year schedule, and that this is 790, that would make this the 30th Tenkaichi Budoukai, and mean that Pan entered the 29th TB in 787.
I like to think, if GT is canon, that she fought in the 29th budokai (787) and lost to Boo, who later got disqualified for some reason, resulting in Thunderbolt from Neko Majin Z2 being the winner. This budokai would then be the 30th, which would take place in 790, preserving both the "5 years after Z + 1 year later" theory, as well as NMZ and the fact that budokai are every 3 years at this point.
Herms wrote:100 years later (TV special, episode 64)
OK, so I didn’t watch the GT special, because I don’t own it. Both the special and the end of 64 are said to be a hundred years later, so they’re presumably the same year (though I guess that could just be rounding off). Assuming the end of the Evil Dragons stuff is still during 790, the year would be 890. Assuming the date of the Tenkaichi Budoukai hasn’t changed over 100 years, the end of 64 is set on May 7th.
The GT Special takes place prior to Goku Jr knowing how to fight. He turns Super Saiyan for the first time in it. This implies that the flash forward in episode 64 takes place months or even a good year later.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.