Could King Piccolo become good?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

flashback0180
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Could King Piccolo become good?

Post by flashback0180 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:03 pm

You know a dude is more evil than hell spawn Satan on a bad Monday, When someone like goku himself wants to murder him.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:05 pm

rereboy wrote:I never interpreted it that way. I interpreted it more like states. Otherwise, West City would be a province.
The way Piccolo Daimao talks he makes it sounds as if West City is the province. He says "Now which province will it be? Province 29! The City of the West!"
Last edited by Hitiro on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:06 pm

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:I never interpreted it that way. I interpreted it more like states. Otherwise, West City would be a province.
The way Piccolo Daimao talks he makes it sound as if West City is the province.
Then why would it be called Province X instead of just West City?

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:09 pm

rereboy wrote:Then why would it be called Province X instead of just West City?
Ask Toriyama? Maybe they were assigned numbers to make it easier? It doesn't change the fact he literally says province 29 the city of the west. And Bulma's all like "West City?! That's where my parents live!"

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:Then why would it be called Province X instead of just West City?
Ask Toriyama? Maybe they were assigned numbers to make it easier? It doesn't change the fact he literally says province 29 the city of the west. And Bulma's all like "West City?! That's where my parents live!"
To me that's like drawing a paper saying "The State of New York", and Piccolo saying, "the state of New York... New York City..." and Bulma replying "New York City? That's where my parents live!". Substitute the names for any other state or country and its capital and it works for anything. But whatever.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:19 pm

rereboy wrote:To me that's like drawing a paper saying "The State of New York", and Piccolo saying, "the state of New York... New York City..." and Bulma replying "New York City? That's where my parents live!". Substitute the names for any other state or country and its capital and it works for anything. But whatever.
I'd think that two if it weren't for the fact that he says that the luckiest of the provinces would last 43 years. If he was just going to destroy a single city in one province each year then a lot of provinces would have longer than 43 years due to repeat pulling's of the same province, etc.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:24 pm

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:To me that's like drawing a paper saying "The State of New York", and Piccolo saying, "the state of New York... New York City..." and Bulma replying "New York City? That's where my parents live!". Substitute the names for any other state or country and its capital and it works for anything. But whatever.
I'd think that two if it weren't for the fact that he says that the luckiest of the provinces would last 43 years. If he was just going to destroy a single city in one province each year then a lot of provinces would have longer than 43 years due to repeat pullings of the same province, etc.
Er... that's not how I interpreted it. He will still destroy the whole province and everything in it, all its cities. He only mentions West City because its emblematic of that province (and to inform the reader than West City is in that province and have Bulma react to it), not because he was just going to destroy that city.

Hence my example of "the state of New York... New York City". It would be the whole state being destroyed, but its emblematic city is mentioned because its emblematic of the state.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:28 pm

rereboy wrote:Er... that's not how I interpreted it. He will still destroy the whole province and everything in it, all its cities. He only mentions West City because its emblematic of that province (and to inform the reader than West City is in that province and have Bulma react to it), not because he was just going to destroy that city.

Hence my example of "the state of New York... New York City". It would be the whole state being destroyed, but its emblematic city its mentioned because its emblematic of the state.
He could have easily made that point if he said something along the lines of "Province 29! I guess I'll start with the capital, West City!" Or he could have just said "Province 29!" and have Bulma react by saying "West City is province 29! My parents live there." Yet Piccolo Daimao goes out of his way to just say West City. And he never pertains to destroying anything else either.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Yes, he could. But I don't believe that means that the city and the province and the same, especially if we consider the traditional definitions for the term province.

But, like I said, whatever. You can interpret it any way you like. To me it makes far more sense that the provinces aren't the same as cities, but something like regions instead, otherwise there would be no point in mentioning provinces at all. And Piccolo referring to West City after he selects the province doesn't really go against that because it makes sense as exposition to the reader and to have Bulma react to it, even though there are certainly other ways to do the dialog and have that exposition.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:50 pm

rereboy wrote:Yes, he could. But I don't believe that means that the city and the province and the same, especially if we consider the traditional definitions for the term province.

But, like I said, whatever. You can interpret it any way you like. To me it makes far more sense that the provinces aren't the same as cities, but something like regions instead, otherwise there would be no point in mentioning provinces at all. And Piccolo referring to West City after he selects the province doesn't really go against that because it makes sense as exposition to the reader and to have Bulma react to it, even though there are certainly other ways to do the dialog and have that exposition.
Perhaps a mistranslation then? Because if he is going to destroy the whole "province" it should be made more clear than what it is. The way it is worded suggests that West City is the province itself. If you were going to destroy the whole state of New York. You wouldn't just say New York City. You'd word it like "The state of New York... Guess I'll start with New York City."

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:16 pm

The Dragon Ball fanbase sure knows how to complicate things.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

TheUltimateVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by TheUltimateVegito » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:No, he's literally evil incarnated. He can't become good.
Vegeta says hi. :P
Well, King Piccolo was a full fledged demon while Vegeta, despite being pure evil, wasn't. I guess that counts for something.
YouTube account:
https://www.youtube.com/user/SuperVegitoSSJ2

PSN: Songojames

My Reddit account is also Songojames

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:26 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Well, King Piccolo was a full fledged demon while Vegeta, despite being pure evil, wasn't. I guess that counts for something.
Yeah, Vegeta was a crazed, genocidal dick, but he still had a more or less "normal" soul.

Daimao was literally made out of pure evil. I'd put him on the same level as Gray Buu and Pure Buu.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:29 pm

There is nothing that could make King Piccolo good, because he was created by the expulsion of all the evil in Kami's soul. In a way, he is like Kid Buu: Pure Evil with no idea on what 'good' means

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:53 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
As already noted, the original Piccolo was "literally evil" in the sense of being literally made out of actual evil. As in, that amnesiac Namekian guy spat out all the evil that was inside him, and it turned into Piccolo. Because "evil" is a physical substance in DB, apparently. Meanwhile, Vegeta came into the world in the usual way. So, Super Saiyan Vegeta's bragging aside, he really isn't "pure evil", at least not in the same way.

Anyway...based on all that, it seems like the original Piccolo probably shouldn't be able to become good, but I guess we don't know for sure. It'd be funny if he got smaller and smaller the more moral he became. Or bigger and bigger the meaner he got. Actually, maybe that's what Piccolo's giant form is all about. And maybe that's why Piccolo Mach Two isn't as insanely tall as Mach One. Maybe.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:35 pm

TheUltimateVegito wrote:Well, King Piccolo was a full fledged demon while Vegeta, despite being pure evil, wasn't. I guess that counts for something.
I wouldn't call Vegeta pure evil since he did come around. Freeza was a being conscientiously chose to be pure evil, and he couldn't come around.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.