The DBO Timeline...Again

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

The DBO Timeline...Again

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:45 pm

After Herms was kind enough to translate the Japanese Google Translate version of the Korean DBO timeline I provided into English, I made a new friend who actually speaks Korean. Herms had some issues with certain entries and words thanks to the text being shuffled across multiple languages, so I asked her to help with deciphering the portions we were having issues with. Seemingly true to her personality over the past few months, instead of just translating those muddied portions, she decided to retranslate the whole timeline to compare against the English version we have now.

This was probably a good decision on her part. She said Herms' translations are pretty accurate overall, but looking over the two versions, there are some slight differences and extra tidbits we didn't even realize were lost at first. So, moving forward, she said to use Herms' work as a base and then then integrate any important changes or missing information into the entries. So, that's pretty much what I did.

Also, since she was going back over the timeline, I figured I could browse through the original DBO trailer to see what information I could grab from the history book. Back when the trailer was first released, it was horrible in quality. Now, we can rip the video directly from the game in HD, so the entries are generally a lot clearer. Some of the previous information gathered from the book was inaccurate, so I've included new versions of those in here as well. The only one I couldn't figure out was the entry about meteors, but I'll document it below anyway.

Now, on to the timeline itself. As with Herms' original topic, here is a little be of context; the official DB timeline places Goku and Blooma’s first meeting in AGE 749, and Goku taking off with Oob during the 28th Tenka'ichi Budōkai in AGE 784. With the first entry at AGE 779, the timeline starts right between the defeat of Boo and end of the manga, roughly five years both ways. As with some of Herms' timelines, a couple of changes have been made to a couple of years where math doesn't add up between entries, but the original years are still noted in the reference portion of the entry.

-------------------------

-------------------------

A new section of the game’s timeline translated by Herms. I first discovered these “extra” timeline entries on a Japanese website and they’re now also on the Japanese Wikipedia page for the game at the time of this edit.

I cannot stress enough though that these entries have no official source to trace them back to at the moment. The book they claim as the source for these entries…just doesn’t have them as far as I can tell. I’ve looked the thing over as best I can and haven’t seen any of them.

That said, one of the entries (the one about Towa) has basically been confirmed via a recent SDBH blurb mentioning Gero’s involvement with Mira’s creation. So however unlikely, it’s possible that despite the listed source being wrong, the entries themselves are real lore.

All of this said, I don’t feel comfortable presenting the info without all the proper context as a giant disclaimer. Because anyone can post random info online, true or otherwise, and Wikipedia can be edited by anyone.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: The DBO Timeline...Again

Post by B » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:36 pm

I love this. Fantastic work.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Every time I read this stuff, the more in love with it I fall. If only Toei could get the rights to make a series out of it.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:08 pm

JulieYBM wrote:If only Toei could get the rights to make a series out of it.
I know, right? Just about all of this stuff is great, and too amazing to be wasted on just the game. I say 'wasted' not because I think the game is lowly or anything, but...this game just isn't hitting the big time, it hasn't even made it to Japan officially yet has it? I don't want to see this storyline just abandoned to a game that a majority of fans aren't ever going to get to play.

Great job on this, TheDevilsCorpse, I don't know how much of it is new to this version and how much of it I'm just forgetting, but this is great.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:24 pm

Real great stuff! I really like the part where Tien and the others dress up in saiyaman like costumes. That would be so great to see.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:29 pm

Wait...hmm. I'm probably overthinking this, and it wouldn't make it fit where I keep thinking Battle of Gods is going to fit, but...
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:AGE 780
Pilaf makes another attempt to conquer the world, but fails…again.
  • [Ref: From DBO Trailer #1's history book]
...we still don't know what's gonna happen in Battle of Gods with Pilaf, this could all fit together oh-so-snuggly.
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:35 pm

Awesome stuff. Should we expect the Back-story as well?
AGE 826
The theme park “Booby World” opens in South City. The majority of the staff consists of Majins.

Booby World’s owner is the millionaire Mister Bii-- the blind boy who Majin Buu healed in the past. To keep himself from forgetting his gratitude towards Buu for restoring his eyesight, he gave himself the name “Bii” and worked hard to amass a large fortune. Although Bii desired to express his gratitude to Buu, he was a big star who was always busy at the Tenkaichi Budokai, so he never got the opportunity.

Mr. Satan's death and the onslaught of the Freeza's remnant soldiers left the people in desolate spirits. Mister Bii, who wanted to restore smiles to the people’s faces, planned the construction of a gigantic theme park. Just as he had received help from Buu in the past, he believed that it was his time to return the favor to everyone and leaves Mini-star Buu in charge of the production of the theme park. This was done in hopes that the Majin race's power to bring people joy would manifest once again.

Booby World's construction begins; with “tasty” and “fun” as the themes, the park is divided into the “Tasty Zone” and “Fun Zone”. Many Majin are hired as employees and work on honing their skills.
Among them, those who exhibit significant skills are known as “Dai-Majin”.
[Ref: From the DBO timeline.]

AGE 826

Yajirobe descends Karin Tower and begins cultivating Senzu beans on the surface.
Perhaps you mean Age 825?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I know, right? Just about all of this stuff is great, and too amazing to be wasted on just the game. I say 'wasted' not because I think the game is lowly or anything, but...this game just isn't hitting the big time, it hasn't even made it to Japan officially yet has it? I don't want to see this storyline just abandoned to a game that a majority of fans aren't ever going to get to play.
Nope, just Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong. I know a lot of people complain because parts were crafted to fit the game, but I still like it all and I agree it's a waste if it just stays "lost" like this.
Jackal puFF wrote:Real great stuff! I really like the part where Tenshinhan and the others dress up in saiyaman like costumes. That would be so great to see.
My favorite new part. ^^
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Wait...hmm. I'm probably overthinking this, and it wouldn't make it fit where I keep thinking Battle of Gods is going to fit, but...
...we still don't know what's gonna happen in Battle of Gods with Pilaf, this could all fit together oh-so-snuggly.
There are some issues if it fits in at that time, namely Pan should already be born (and possibly Bra depending on which year they go with). But I guess the little girls could be with a nanny during the events instead of with their mothers, assuming the movie does fit and doesn't contradict anything else. xD
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Awesome stuff. Should we expect the Back-story as well?

Perhaps you mean Age 825?
We'll see. She got part of it translated, most of the new stuff we don't know, but college is starting again. So, it might take longer than all of us, her included, would like for everything because of the courses she's tackling. :/

That I did. Proof-reading everything is a pain, every time I think I have it all fixed, I find another error. I decided I'd let you guys do that work. xD

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 pm

I've never been in love with the Namekians, but between Dende, Piccolo, and "black Namekian Naraku" starting a "civil war," you've got a movie or special or mini-series comic drawn by Ooishi/Toyble right there.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Great work. The difference between Tenshinhan and Kuririn's training is still my favorite part. Love the new Dragon Sentai stuff too.
B wrote:I've never been in love with the Namekians, but between Dende, Piccolo, and "black Namekian Naraku" starting a "civil war," you've got a movie or special or mini-series comic drawn by Ooishi/Toyble right there.
If this game ever makes it to Japan I really hope we get some promotional material like this.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:57 pm

An OVA starring the Namekians in that situation would be... glooorioussss.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 pm

I like how we kinda got an explanation about Lunch's absence from DBZ. :lol:
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Awesome stuff, been waiting for this for ages :D

There are a couple of entries that I notice are missing, when did the Yadratians get to Earth and why? Wasn't there an entry about Miira actually hailing from the 2000's?

And will you be including time quests?

Edit:
So I was researching the past timelines and realized that the dates relating to Yadratians are inconclusive and most seem to be relating to Namekians. The only remaining one is that one about the meteors...
  • Age 800s: Planet Yardrat is destroyed, and its remains fall to Earth as meteors.
    Age 853: The people of Planet Yardrat establish a city on Earth.
    Age 900: The people of Planet Yardrat are put in charge of developing a time machine.
Edit: About the time quests, check it out! This motherfucker has already done most of the work, at least for the earlier ones:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 00#p449615
I should really take my own advice about posting and editing in the wee hours of the morning, thanks for the advice past me!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:12 am

I have no plans to include the various game missions/dungeons (UDs, TLQs, TMQs, etc.). This thread is only for the stuff before the events of the game, and then only the ones that can be properly sourced. I already provided detailed information for the TMQ's in the previous DBO timeline topic anyway, and it still stands.

I went back and looked through the huge DBO topic and stuff on various other forums for the game. The information about the Yardratians arriving on Earth stems from the poor video quality of the history book in the first game trailer, where they were confused for the blurry Engrish on the Namekian's entry, as a good portion of the stuff that was "deciphered" for that initial timeline was... inaccurate to say the least. The Meteor entry isn't able to be deciphered completely (and probably isn't about the Yardratians anyway), as I showed before the timeline.

Also, this is some bad news here... We also went back and dredged through Korean announcements of the game, and some of the subsequent interviews that were said to contain the information about Miira being and artificial beaing created in Makai, originating from the year 2000, etc. Well, we found nothing for that stuff. Most of the interviews seemed to have been translated via Google, which botched up a lot of information. So unless we missed something (which is entirely possible due to how poorly documented this game is), it seems we've been misled for a while now.

Here is a bit of a tidbit for you guys in exchange though. Apparently the DBO guidebook's "chronicle" section has this to say about him:
"미라의 정체는 미래의 지구인이라고"
Miira's identity is an Earthling from the future!

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:24 am

Whoa, seriously?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:25 am

AGE 801
Son Goku disappears
  • Realizing his death is imminent, Goku, who wanted to settle their rivalry, left the Earth with Vegeta. Years later, a supernova explosion was detected; perhaps caused by Son Goku and Vegeta’s battle.
So it's definitely Goku who initiates it. Interesting. I can only imagine the inner conflict/turmoil Vegeta went through after being approached by him about this. X3 There's a lot of complications involved in that; Vegeta's family still being alive at this point in the story for starters.
Also agreeing on the theory that going ssj3 while alive messed Goku's lifespan up considering the age his body would be in 801.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:40 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: Here is a bit of a tidbit for you guys in exchange though. Apparently the DBO guidebook's "chronicle" section has this to say about him:
"미라의 정체는 미래의 지구인이라고"
Wah. That is certainly interesting.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Also, this is some bad news here... We also went back and dredged through Korean announcements of the game, and some of the subsequent interviews that were said to contain the information about Miira being and artificial beaing created in Makai, originating from the year 2000, etc. Well, we found nothing for that stuff. Most of the interviews seemed to have been translated via Google, which botched up a lot of information. So unless we missed something (which is entirely possible due to how poorly documented this game is), it seems we've been misled for a while now.
For what it is worth his in game race icon thing is the same one all the artificial humans use.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:41 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Here is a bit of a tidbit for you guys in exchange though. Apparently the DBO guidebook's "chronicle" section has this to say about him:
"미라의 정체는 미래의 지구인이라고"
Well that's fairly disappointing. He's basically an evil Trunks then. Though, it is nice to have a human bad guy again...hmm.

Assuming he's a human Earthling anyway, and not something different like the animal-headed people and so on.
Twitter

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:45 am

Calling it: Miira is a descendant of Pilaf and Paella.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:58 am

My thanks to you and your friend for your hard work. It's great to finally have a full translation done by someone who actually knows Korean. And it's nice to know I wasn't too far off with my Google-reliant translation. This will also help with the process of making my giant super everything and the kitchen sink timeline a part of Kanzenshuu, since I wasn't going to let it go up without more confirmation for the DBO stuff.

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Here is a bit of a tidbit for you guys in exchange though. Apparently the DBO guidebook's "chronicle" section has this to say about him:
"미라의 정체는 미래의 지구인이라고"
Speaking of Google translations, using Google to translate this from Korean to Japanese yields:
"ミイラの正体は未来の地球人と"
"Miira's identity is an Earthling from the future". Almost perfect except for an extraneous と at the end.

Meanwhile, Google translating it from Korean to English gets you:
"Mummy's identity is the future of the district."
...Yeah...

(Still, interesting that "Miira" apparently means "mummy" in Korean as well as Japanese.)

And translating it from Korean to Japanese, then Japanese to English gets you:
"Mummy's identity and future earthlings "
Translating from Korean to Chinese (because...uh, because):
“木乃伊的身份是未来的小区。"
"Mummy's identity is a district of the future."

So, it seems like the Korean word for "Earthling" must be close to the word for "district".
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.