Favorite Handheld DB Game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeztin
I Live Here

Favorite Handheld DB Game?

Post by Xeztin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:56 am

What is your favorite Handheld DB, DBZ, or DBGT game, and why? I would have to say my favorite would be a tie between DBZ: Buu's Fury, and DBGT: Transformation. Both of these games were on GBA SP, and GT Transformation was my very first game for the Gameboy SP, I remember I was excited as a kid, and I played the living tar out of it, I probably played through it 50 times growing up, I would just sit on my front steps and get lost in the game for hours. It's probably closer to me than Buu's Fury just simply because it was my first game for the SP back then, but it probably gave me more Joy than any Dragon Ball game I've ever had, and at the moment I've got em all from PSX/Xbox/Game Cube/GBA to Xbox One/PS4/3DS, that were released in NA. Now Keep in mind I haven't played these game's in years, so I can't exactly say why I loved it Game play wise. As for why I liked Buu's Fury, I thought it gave more of a challenge then Transformation. I got Fury after Transformation, and as a kid found the fight's to be a lot harder, especially that Fat Buu fight where he is trying to turn you into candy, and you just run around blasting him hoping to not get hit. I think Fat Buu's candy beam was a one hit kill, which I recall gave me countless troubles, but I finally overcame it. :lol:

Rory
I Live Here

Re: Favorite Handheld DB Game?

Post by Rory » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:40 am

I'd say Advance Adventure, with Extreme Butouden coming in at a close second.
Advance Adventure captures that really fun adventurous feeling of early Dragon Ball better than any of the other games in general, handheld or not. It's also gorgeously animated, and just plain fun to blast through. Extreme Butouden is just radical all around, and is the kind of Dragon Ball game I've wanted for years.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Advanced Adventure - Best DB game I've ever played!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TheAmericanDream
Not-So-Newbie

Post by TheAmericanDream » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:21 pm

Dragonball Advance Adventure (GBA) and Dragonball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (Nintendo 3DS)

I would chose Attack of the Saiyans personally, but I would argue that Advance Adventure maybe has a bit more replay value with its unlockable characters (you can unlock EVERYONE! which is pretty amazing)

Both of these games perfectly emulate my favorite era of Dragonball the first half and the Saiyan arc with simple but colorful sprites and fun gameplay. Particularly Advance Adventure, I would put both of these titles in my top 10 favorite Dragonball games honestly.
I was on a big original Dragonball kick at the time Advance Adventure came out and this game was just super fun, like the awesome 90's beat em up for Dragonball I never got as a kid, I can also play as Kuririn and there's also a tournament VS mode included? So cool.

Attack of the Saiyans I only recently completed this week, I had overlooked it originally because I had little interest in another retread of a story I've seen before, but I kept hearing good things about it from the Kanzenshuu Podcast on it, to ProJared praising it in his DBZ game reviews so I starting researching it again. Knowing it may soon become rare since its out of print, I picked up a used copy as soon as I found a reasonably priced one and I was immediately sucked into the visual charms of this game and its simple but addictive gameplay.

I like to think of Attack of the Saiyans as a perfect "on the go" RPG (Chrono Trigger Lite) that fleshed out this part of the story with interesting filler missions that remind you how rich the Dragon World is. The 90's JRPG format really allows the series to shine best I think because you see your characters grow as you admire the whimsical world in a way fighting games and even the anime itself don't always allow you to. As a big fan of Tenshinhan as well as the bond between Gohan+Piccolo this game filled me with warm feels honestly. Also the secret boss was so satisfying to beat! :mrgreen:

DBZ Super Sonic Warriors would be an honorable mention, and Jump Ultimate Stars is amazing (my favorite handheld fighter to date), but it doesn't exactly count as a Dragonball game since its not exclusively one. Still I felt it's worth mentioning.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Dragonball Advanced Adventure for sure. Such a good lil platformer and there are loads of characters to unlock.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:02 pm

The Legacy of Goku II. Just awesome in every department and a massive step up from the first Legacy of Goku game.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:26 pm

Can I just cheat and say The Legacy of Goku trilogy as a whole? Sure, the first one is pretty rough around the edges, and Buu's Fury isn't titled the same (but is most definitely part of that series), but man if they weren't some of the most fun I've ever had playing a Dragon Ball game period. If only the same team had actually gotten to tackle GT and maybe retroactively Dragon Ball as well...it would have been amazing.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:48 am

I've only played a "handful" (doh ho ho) of handheld Dragon Ball games, but I really want to give a shout-out to Legendary Super Warriors for the Game Boy Color. I remember having a blast with that game and I've really been meaning to replay it. The graphics and animations are charming, combat is fun, and despite being an earlier game on an earlier system, the story goes all the way from Raditz to Buu and even covers Trunks' alternate timeline. It was about $20 on Amazon a little while ago, and I kept meaning to buy myself a second copy, but the price shot back up again before I could. I guess that one's my favorite by default at the moment.

Aside from that, I've only played the first Legacy Of Goku (not great, but I've got fond memories) and Collectible Card Game (not great, no particularly fond memories). I haven't played Attack Of The Saiyans yet, but I do own it and I've heard good things. Still working on my opinion of Extreme Butōden. It might become my new favorite, but I do have some issues with it.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 am

Buu's Fury definitely.
I loved Legacy of Goku 2, but i just had sooo much more fun with Buu's Fury aka LoG III. It was my first DBZ game on GBA and I've beaten it sooooo many times. The first time I didn't even know how to use stat points. :lol: Give me a break i was like 8

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:22 pm

the Legacy trilogy and Attack of the Saiyans!

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:31 am

Shin Budokai series
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Legendary Super Warriors by far. It was a great turn based RPG that i can pick up and still have fun playing to this day.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

VeggieXD
Beyond Newbie

Post by VeggieXD » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:21 pm

Would have to be either Supersonic Warriors (1&2) or Shin Budokai.
DragonFlick Z 2.0 in the works.. if you are a Dragonball Youtuber, feel free to get in touch.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:51 pm

It's a tie between the Legacy series and Supersonic Warriors. Advanced Adventure was really good too, though.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:06 am

As everyone else have said Advance Adventure and additionally that card-based Gameboy Colour game, whose name I can't seem to recall right now, was pretty neat.
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:51 am

Sad that people seem to have forgotten what is clearly the best handheld game.

Dragonball Kai: Ultimate Butouden. 8)
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:41 pm

Legacy of Goku series + Shin Budokai series

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:20 pm

Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure. I loved it!
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:24 am

Supersonic Warriors (1&2)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:46 pm

There's a lot of good ones, but for me it's Buu's Fury closely followed by Legacy of Goku 2. Maybe it's the fact that they use remixed Faulconer music, or the fact that they follow the story so closely while also including fun sidequests, but those 2 are the best for me.

Honourable mentions would be the Shin budokai series and DB Advanced Adventure. And I have a soft spot for the first LoG game despite it's flaws.