Viz-isms (update: DB chapter 7)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Viz-isms (update: DB chapter 3)

Post by Shoryuken » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:47 am

And so the "Viz Translation Review Super" hath begun!

Seriously though, this is exciting as people usually pay little attention to just how tremendous a task it can be translating from one language to another. Japanese in itself is diametrically different from English in almost all regards thereby putting the translator in a difficult position when it comes to choosing their translation-approach i.e. whether or not should they translate everything completely, keep honorifics, add explanatory notes and so on. Indeed, generally speaking translating any work of fiction into a different language and still having to keep all the nuances of the original is a nearly impossible feat, therefore the translator/adaptor need to make some critical choices. This thread therefore offers an interesting view into this process.
EmmaWinters wrote:
Herms wrote:I haven't actually bought any of Viz's One Punch Man volumes (just the Weekly Shonen Jump issues, which only list translators) so I can't check the credits, but OPM doesn't have anyone credited for an "English Adaptation", does it?
Nope. The credits are pretty bare-bones.
Could this change of approach be a sign of the manga-buying audiences demanding a translation staying closer to the original? Perhaps the job of English adaptor has been rendered obsolescent by the translators themselves taking on both tasks?
これはシグネチャではない
Personal blog - myriadleaves.eu

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Viz-isms (update: DB chapter 4)

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:00 pm

Updated for chapter 4. I've switched to posting the updates in the original post, but should I post them throughout the thread too, or is that too redundant?

Also, I think I'll have separate threads for each volume, then eventually create a master thread with links to each volume's thread. Thoughts?
Akumaito Beam wrote:
Herms wrote: Tr: “It’s not going to be a tamate=bako, is it?”
I believe Clyde Mandelin translated this as "Pandora's Box" in the anime subtitles.
Yeah. Don't know about the main series, but he definitely did in the Path to Power subtitles. In one sense Pandaro's Box is a pretty good match (it's likewise a mythological box that causes bad things to happen when opened), but unlike the Tamate-bako, it has no connection with turtles, so it might seem like a non-sequitur for Bulma to suddenly mention Pandora's Box after Sea Turtle says he'll give her a reward.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:03 am

Herms wrote:Updated for chapter 4. I've switched to posting the updates in the original post, but should I post them throughout the thread too, or is that too redundant?
You could always put them in spoilers. I generally read the main post.
is "tamate=bako" intentional? Lots of instances of = instead of -.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:59 am

I tend to jump to the latest page when there's a new post, so also making new posts for updates would be ever so slightly more convenient for me, but it's not like it's a big deal one way or the other.

Also, just for the sake of mentioning it, the VizManga digital release also says "undies" instead of "panties".

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Viz-isms (update: DB chapter 3)

Post by medama_oyaji » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:53 pm

Shoryuken wrote:
EmmaWinters wrote:
Herms wrote:I haven't actually bought any of Viz's One Punch Man volumes (just the Weekly Shonen Jump issues, which only list translators) so I can't check the credits, but OPM doesn't have anyone credited for an "English Adaptation", does it?
Nope. The credits are pretty bare-bones.
Could this change of approach be a sign of the manga-buying audiences demanding a translation staying closer to the original? Perhaps the job of English adaptor has been rendered obsolescent by the translators themselves taking on both tasks?
I think this change is largely due to the fact that leaving out the English adaptor saves both time and money. For instance, Viz didn't drop the Eng Adaptation step for One Piece until it moved to weekly for their digital Shonen Jump.

I think this has its pros and cons. Some translators are better writers than others. But often the English adaptors don't speak Japanese or have that direct references, so a lot of weird changes happen accidentally.

Herms

Re: Viz-isms (update: DB chapter 5)

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:54 am

Updated for chapter 5:
EmmaWinters wrote:is "tamate=bako" intentional? Lots of instances of = instead of -.
It was unintentional. Fixed now (I hope).

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:56 am

Herms wrote: ---

[lost]
Speaking of Chinese names, the 6-Star Ball pops up in this chapter. Like the other balls, its name is in Chinese: Liu Xing Qiu (the Pinyin spelling), approximated in Japanese as Ryuu Xin Chuu. Viz spells it…Liu Shin Kyuu, which I believe is the old Wade-Giles spelling of the Chinese name. This is inconsistent with Viz’s approach back in chapter 1, where they just used the Japanese approximations. In fact, now that I go back and look, they made the switch back in chapter 4, when Viz!Goku calls the 3-Star Ball San Shin Kyuu, the Wade-Giles spelling (the Japanese approximation is almost exactly the same: San Shin Chuu). I’ll make a full-fledge guide for all this crap soon, I swear!
...Well now I'm just confused about exactly what printings the Kindle and VizManga versions are scanned from, because my copy calls them Sanshinchu and Liushinchu:

And also as a very minor side-note that I can't be bothered to screenshot, in my version the line where Sherman is complaining about Bulma's personality says "If we had more time", rather than "If I had the time".

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:18 am

awesome stuff
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:37 am

Theophrastus wrote:
Herms wrote: ---

[lost]
Speaking of Chinese names, the 6-Star Ball pops up in this chapter. Like the other balls, its name is in Chinese: Liu Xing Qiu (the Pinyin spelling), approximated in Japanese as Ryuu Xin Chuu. Viz spells it…Liu Shin Kyuu, which I believe is the old Wade-Giles spelling of the Chinese name. This is inconsistent with Viz’s approach back in chapter 1, where they just used the Japanese approximations. In fact, now that I go back and look, they made the switch back in chapter 4, when Viz!Goku calls the 3-Star Ball San Shin Kyuu, the Wade-Giles spelling (the Japanese approximation is almost exactly the same: San Shin Chuu). I’ll make a full-fledge guide for all this crap soon, I swear!
...Well now I'm just confused about exactly what printings the Kindle and VizManga versions are scanned from, because my copy calls them Sanshinchu and Liushinchu:

And also as a very minor side-note that I can't be bothered to screenshot, in my version the line where Sherman is complaining about Bulma's personality says "If we had more time", rather than "If I had the time".
Only doubling the confusion is the just the plain weirdness of "Liushinchū". The first third of it, "Liu", corrosponds to the equivalent Chinese (Wade Giles) reading, but then the rest is a straight up romanization of the furigana with little regard to the fact that it's supposed to resemble a Chinese reading altogether.
Herms wrote:Viz spells it…Liu Shin Kyuu, which I believe is the old Wade-Giles spelling of the Chinese name.
For the sake of clarity this handy site gives the Wade Giles spelling of 六星球 ("Six Star Ball") as Liu Hsing Chi'u.
Herms wrote:... approximated in Japanese as Ryuu Xin Chuu.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't this be "Ryuu Shin Chuu"?
これはシグネチャではない

Herms

Re: Viz-isms (update: DB chapter 6)

Post by Herms » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Updated for chapter 6.

I've revised the ch.5 entry on the 6-Star Ball in light of Shoryuken and Theophrastus' input. Thanks guys!

jrdemr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jrdemr » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:06 pm

Herms wrote:Updated for chapter 6.
Dang, this one was fast!

Awesome work as always, Herms, keep it up! Always was more of a manga fan than an anime fan, so this resource is invaluable to me.

Teen GohanZ

Post by Teen GohanZ » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks for doing this. I love getting to know the true intention behind certain things that's lost in Viz.

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:23 pm

Herms wrote: Also, I think I'll have separate threads for each volume, then eventually create a master thread with links to each volume's thread. Thoughts?
You could start a new thread for every fifth volume or so as the prospect of 42 separate threads for each volume seems a bit too cumbersome and chaotic. Another way of dealing with this could be that you make two threads: a master-list/thread of all the analysises spread out in several posts in a manner similar to your DB Super thread, but have it dedicated solely to posting the analysis in there and then have a second thread for discussion/commentary. This way, if anyone wishes to comment on any earlier (volume analysis) thread they wouldn't have to resurrect a month-old thread, but instead post in the discussion/commentary thread.
これはシグネチャではない

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:55 am

hahaha well, I, for one, love imagining Ultraman saying "Yee-haw!" :lol:

Herms

Re: Viz-isms (update: DB chapter 7)

Post by Herms » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:18 am

Updated for chapter 7.

Chapter 7

Theophrastus
Regular

Re: Viz-isms (update: DB chapter 7)

Post by Theophrastus » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:38 am

This is just a minor nitpick, but it bothers me slightly that Viz has Puar call Yamcha "Lord Yamcha".

Seeing as Yamcha is not nobility, and is in fact just some random desert bandit, I'd have preferred for them to have Puar call him "Master Yamcha" (I think that's even what Funimation has Puar call him, IIRC).