Why wasn't there a Buu Saga Special?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Why wasn't there a Buu Saga Special?

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:52 am

In Dragon Ball Z we got both a special for the Freeza saga (Bardock) and the Android/Cell saga (Trunks).

So why not a Buu Saga special? Was Majin Buu not dark enough for Toei? Did no characters fit the bill for a special? Was there not enough room in the budget?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why wasn't there a Buu Saga Special?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:02 pm

I mean, by that extension, you could just ask "Why wasn't there a Red Ribbon Army special? Why wasn't there a Piccolo special? Why wasn't there a Saiyan special? Why wasn't there a Buu special?"

For Trunks, it was actually something in the manga to adapt from, so it's really only the Bardock special that was a major anomaly.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:12 pm

I don't know about answers for any of the other possible reasons, but as far as the characters go...well, if they were going to do a special in the vein of the previous two, which were pretty dark and foreboding at least by Dragon Ball standards, then there's really only one thing they could have done - Majin Boo's reign of terror years and years before, ending with his conflict with the Kaioshin themselves. As interested as I would be to have seen something like that, I can think of a couple of reasons they might have balked at that idea.

1) No recognizable and popular characters. The Bardock special was largely populated by brand new characters, yes, but Bardock was custom designed to look a lot like his son, and even ended up with his same voice actress. We still had Freeza there too, and as he's one of the most popular villains, I imagine that was another check off the list. Finish that out with some shots of baby Goku, fan popular Vegeta in his youth, and a decent amount of 'cameos' of other characters from that era of material like Dodoria, Zarbon, and Nappa (seriously, where was Raditz at least for this though, if not the Ginyu Force?), and they had it covered. With the Trunks special, we likewise are robbed of a lot of our other favorite characters, but the focus is on Trunks, another fan popular character. We're also treated to seeing Gohan from that alternate timeline. With a Boo era special, we'd pretty much be left with...the Kaioshin, most likely mainly the Eastern one (our main one in the series). Maybe Kaio-sama and the other Kaio could appear too. But beyond that? Our narrative would mainly be behind the Kaioshin, who don't seem to garner that much popularity or excitement from fans.

2) The tone of 'hope'. The way both the Bardock and Trunks specials played out to their ends definitely left a feeling of 'it's all heading here, hope for the best!' at their ends. Bardock ended knowing his son was going to come into conflict with Freeza, and at the time it came out originally that fight hadn't happened yet, so it served to hype up that upcoming fight all the more. We're ready to see Goku tangle with Freeza. With the Trunks special, it quite literally ends on 'hope', as we see Trunks head out to warn Goku about the Androids. By the time that one came out, we already knew a good deal that was going to happen after that point, but the plotline at large was still unresolved - we're meant to be left wondering how everyone is going to get out of this huge mess they're in, but told to never give up the 'hope'. If they were to take that same kind of feeling to a Boo arc special, it'd be a little bit harder to do. Again, we don't really have any of our favorite characters to get behind for it. And no matter where it ended, it wasn't going to have that same feeling really. If it ended with Boo being sealed and Kaioshin taking out Bibidi, and Babidi being shown somewhere out there swearing revenge while Kaioshin is happy it's 'all over at last', that's...kind of anti-climactic in a way, given what we already know to be happening. Maybe if they flashed forward to Kaioshin fighting Boo only to get blown away and taking Gohan away, that would be a way to end on some 'hope', but...I'unno. It's still not quite the same.

There's the possibility they could have done something else entirely of course, but whenever I think of a Boo arc special, that's pretty much the only route I could imagine them having taken, and upon retrospect it just doesn't quite seem like it could have worked that well.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:13 pm

LuckyCat wrote:In Dragon Ball Z we got both a special for the Freeza saga (Bardock) and the Android/Cell saga (Trunks).

So why not a Buu Saga special? Was Majin Buu not dark enough for Toei? Did no characters fit the bill for a special? Was there not enough room in the budget?
Money for a special would not come out of the money for the TV series. Fuji TV and the other production committee members would come together, decide to do a TV special and then set aside money for it on its own.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Nex Carnifex
Banned

Post by Nex Carnifex » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Not dark enough? Buu saga had the darkest scenes in the entire series

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:28 pm

I guess you could consider the 2008 OVA a Buu arc special cause it kind of deals with the aftermath of the battle.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:39 pm

I think it's because there wasn't a interesting character background story to explore in the Buu Saga

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Tian wrote:I think it's because there wasn't a interesting character background story to explore in the Buu Saga
Um, Dabra?

trick007z
Beyond Newbie

Post by trick007z » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Tian wrote:I think it's because there wasn't a interesting character background story to explore in the Buu Saga
Um, Dabra?
Not really. The Bardock special really fleshes out the Saiyan culture under Frieza and presents the definitive take on where Goku and Frieza intersect. The Trunks special is really just a prologue to the Android arc.

Dabra was just some demon that Babidi took control of for brief period of time. He has very little connection to Buu beyond that. The closest thing to a special you could have done would be to take the flashback with Bibidi and the Kai's out of the main series and expanding it into a special. But then it takes away a lot of the impact of Kid Buu.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Because the Buu saga wasn't up to par when compared to the first 2 sagas.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:24 pm

trick007z wrote:Dabra was just some demon that Babidi took control of for brief period of time. He has very little connection to Buu beyond that. The closest thing to a special you could have done would be to take the flashback with Bibidi and the Kai's out of the main series and expanding it into a special. But then it takes away a lot of the impact of Kid Buu.
Dabra is way more than. He's King of the Demon Realm for crying out loud. And that would strongly suggested that he is a Makaio, and that in itself opens the door to a part of the Dragon Ball Universe that still hasn't explored or looked into properly, excluding a few tidbits from the Super Exciting Guide.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:21 am

The Buu/Kaioshin backstory could have made a great TV Special, instead of simply episode padding. It's literally the entire crux of the arc, and thus would work in an identical vein to the Trunks special.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:40 am

VegettoEX wrote:I mean, by that extension, you could just ask "Why wasn't there a Red Ribbon Army special? Why wasn't there a Piccolo special? Why wasn't there a Saiyan special? Why wasn't there a Buu special?"

For Trunks, it was actually something in the manga to adapt from, so it's really only the Bardock special that was a major anomaly.
I considered that, and I could say within the context of the Dragon Ball Z anime. But also I think that Red Ribbon or even Piccolo Daimao would be too short of stories (compared to Freeza, Androids and Buu) to warrant an extra special. Also, Saiyan saga is covered a little in the Bardock special, at least there are clips from it in the special. Fair point about "History of Trunks" actually being written by Toriyama in the manga, though.
JulieYBM wrote:Money for a special would not come out of the money for the TV series. Fuji TV and the other production committee members would come together, decide to do a TV special and then set aside money for it on its own.
So then the question would be why didn't Fuji TV and other production committee members come together for the Buu saga?
Gyt Kaliba wrote:1) No recognizable and popular characters.
Maybe! Kaioshin was kind of a dud, though I guess a special about the other Kaioshin could work. Dabura could also work, though the specials tend to be around heroic characters.
Zephyr wrote:The Buu/Kaioshin backstory could have made a great TV Special, instead of simply episode padding. It's literally the entire crux of the arc, and thus would work in an identical vein to the Trunks special.
That's touching on my theory, that Buu saga as animated was already long enough to include back stories within the show. But I really liked the stories with the other Kaioshin fighting Buu, and would've loved to see more on that.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:48 am

LuckyCat wrote:But also I think that Red Ribbon or even Piccolo Daimao would be too short of stories (compared to Freeza, Androids and Buu) to warrant an extra special.
There's an entire story about Mutaito and the original fight against Demon King Piccolo to include. Sure, some of that was in the TV series, but we also saw random footage of the alternate Trunks timeline in the TV series totally separate/independent from the regular Trunks TV special, too. Also think about the three completely different versions the anime had of Child-Of-Katatz splitting off his evil half; this too could have been an entirely separate TV special.

Redundancy was never a problem for them. There were all sorts of extra stories that could be told :).
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:49 am

Nobody gives a fuck about Kaioshin or his people. That's why.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:52 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Nobody gives a fuck about Kaioshin or his people. That's why.
Clearly someone does, as they literally just mentioned it here in this thread.

If you're not interested, that's fine: don't bother posting. Enough is enough here. You do not speak for the entire fandom.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:56 am

Two new movies were coming out per year. A new special probably felt redundant or nobody could think of an angle for the special.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:Nobody gives a fuck about Kaioshin or his people. That's why.
Clearly someone does, as they literally just mentioned it here in this thread.

If you're not interested, that's fine: don't bother posting. Enough is enough here. You do not speak for the entire fandom.
I exaggerated but I don't think what I said is far from the truth given my experience.

I mean, is there really a group of people who are actively interested to know more about Kaioshin? His character is little more than a plot-device meant to (over-)hype up Majin Boo. Even his one and only fight in the entire series is literally just him getting tooled by a toying around Majin Boo.
Last edited by DBZAOTA482 on Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kamicciolo

Post by Kamicciolo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:22 pm

It woulda been kinda cool actually if they had a sort of "retroactive" special for the Red Ribbon Army arc during or after the Android one, where it could follow Dr. Gero and some of his going-ons whilst Goku was tearing through the army and all. Sorta a way to build up a bit of backstory on Gero and give his revenge motivation more impact.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:52 pm

Kamicciolo wrote:It woulda been kinda cool actually if they had a sort of "retroactive" special for the Red Ribbon Army arc during or after the Android one, where it could follow Dr. Gero and some of his going-ons whilst Goku was tearing through the army and all. Sorta a way to build up a bit of backstory on Gero and give his revenge motivation more impact.
Totally agreed.

It's an average day in May. The army has been busy. Gero decides to take a lunch break. He returns to headquarters only to find the entire thing destroyed, including all of his machines.

The hard drives weren't backed up off-site.

Revenge begins.