Dragon Ball 'Super History Book'

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Dragon Ball 'Super History Book'

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Those alternate Great Saiyaman costumes! XD
Also, rl Beerus!
That drawing of Cabba from behind really looks like Gohan.
Heroes draft drawing of the three Freeza-esque avatars had the berserker with hair! (a mohawk of sorts).
Earlier Budoukai 1 models.
So MANY character drafts for Time Kai. O_O Most of them have her with an adult body.
Non-inked pencil line-art for the final manga chapter is cool!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:11 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:For anyone interested, here is an unboxing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6RO21iuxs

I actually ordered it after I saw this even tho itll now take 2-4 weeks to ship lol
Huh that power level guide from early Saiyan arc as featured in Weekly Jump seems to have been made by Toriyama afterall or at least that's what seems implied by its inclusion @8:30.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Is there anything on BoG's original script?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:16 pm

Doctor. wrote:Is there anything on BoG's original script?
Nope, not from what I can see in that unboxing video.
Just a bunch of interviews.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:05 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:For anyone interested, here is an unboxing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6RO21iuxs

I actually ordered it after I saw this even tho itll now take 2-4 weeks to ship lol
Huh that power level guide from early Saiyan arc as featured in Weekly Jump seems to have been made by Toriyama afterall or at least that's what seems implied by its inclusion @8:30.
Nice catch! So they didn't make it into the Daizenshu and Chozenshu but they made it in this guidebook? Lmao.

I wish Viz would translate this :|
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:31 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:So they didn't make it into the Daizenshu and Chozenshu but they made it in this guidebook?
Some of them were incorporated into the daizenshuu and other places. For instance, it the first (so far as we know) source for Raditz's 1,500 and Nappa's 4,000.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Herms wrote:
xmysticgohanx wrote:So they didn't make it into the Daizenshu and Chozenshu but they made it in this guidebook?
Some of them were incorporated into the daizenshuu and other places. For instance, it the first (so far as we know) source for Raditz's 1,500 and Nappa's 4,000.
I know, I should've been clearer. I meant the specific power levels that weren't in there like Kami's, Popo's, etc.
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z

Son Kai

Post by Son Kai » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:20 pm

Hi guys! I would like to know if there are the translation of the comment of the Yoshihiro Togashi that honored Dragon Ball with his arts of Dragon Ball in the recent Dragon Ball History Book

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:06 am

Chuquita wrote:Those alternate Great Saiyaman costumes! XD
Also, rl Beerus!
That drawing of Cabba from behind really looks like Gohan.
Heroes draft drawing of the three Freeza-esque avatars had the berserker with hair! (a mohawk of sorts).
Earlier Budoukai 1 models.
So MANY character drafts for Time Kai. O_O Most of them have her with an adult body.
Non-inked pencil line-art for the final manga chapter is cool!
Okay, now I have to pick this up. I love the alternate costumes for Budokai 1 and I've been looking for concept art of them for ages. If I weren't so cooped up at school and swamped with job deadlines I'd head to my Chinatown bookstore and grab it.

Such is life.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:12 am

Darkton wrote:
Chuquita wrote: Earlier Budoukai 1 models.
Okay, now I have to pick this up. I love the alternate costumes for Budokai 1 and I've been looking for concept art of them for ages. If I weren't so cooped up at school and swamped with job deadlines I'd head to my Chinatown bookstore and grab it.

Such is life.
They don't really show alternate costumes from Budokai 1. There's a sketch of Goku's casual clothes(the ones he used prior to the Cell Games), but that's it.
When Chuquita mentions earlier Budokai 1 models, she means the in game models of the characters that were changed from having outlined eyes to not having, making them look more natural. Also the earlier model of Goku's face had the eyes lower down on his face than the final model.
That's about it.

Darkton
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Darkton » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:17 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Darkton wrote:
Chuquita wrote: Earlier Budoukai 1 models.

Such is life.
They don't really show alternate costumes from Budokai 1. There's a sketch of Goku's casual clothes(the ones he used prior to the Cell Games), but that's it.
When Chuquita mentions earlier Budokai 1 models, she means the in game models of the characters that were changed from having outlined eyes to not having, making them look more natural. Also the earlier model of Goku's face had the eyes lower down on his face than the final model.
That's about it.
Ah, I see.

May have to start my own thread about those... :problem:

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:46 am

So I realize I've asked this about previous book releases, but it bears asking on this one too - how worthwhile would picking this book up be if one can't read a bit of Japanese?
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:So I realize I've asked this about previous book releases, but it bears asking on this one too - how worthwhile would picking this book up be if one can't read a bit of Japanese?
Still incredibly worth it. It's a joy to flip through. There's no reason NOT to buy this book.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:02 am

Well that's a good endorsement if I've ever seen one. I'll have to see if I can find some good deals on it. :thumbup:
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:09 pm

I just hope it doesn't up an disappear. These things have a tendency to run out fast and the publisher just never bothers to print it ever again.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:24 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:So I realize I've asked this about previous book releases, but it bears asking on this one too - how worthwhile would picking this book up be if one can't read a bit of Japanese?
Still incredibly worth it. It's a joy to flip through. There's no reason NOT to buy this book.
How much is it in US dollars + importing and all of that
Edit: actually nvm, I'll probably just end up getting the Spanish version whenever that comes out. My Spanish is at a 6th grade level vs my Japanese which is at a 3 year old level or so :lol:
Kai >>> Z

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Got the book a few days ago. It is an absolute joy. Got a bit teary after going through it all.

I have to say though... Maybe I'm being stupid, but is there a reason we're celebrating the 30th anniversary in 2016?

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:11 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:Edit: actually nvm, I'll probably just end up getting the Spanish version whenever that comes out. My Spanish is at a 6th grade level vs my Japanese which is at a 3 year old level or so :lol:
Wait, there's a Spanish version coming out? Not only would that probably be easier for me to import than Japan's, it would also be possible to kinda-sorta-horribly "fail translate" (ie Google) it for myself, something I wouldn't be able to do with the Japanese version...even if that one would be more authentic.
Twitter

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:59 pm

Ryuman wrote:I have to say though... Maybe I'm being stupid, but is there a reason we're celebrating the 30th anniversary in 2016?
It's the 30th anniversary of the anime. The first episode of Dragon Ball aired February 26th, 1986. But you could also consider it an extended celebration of the manga's 30th anniversary.
-Rachel

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:50 pm

TripleRach wrote:
Ryuman wrote:I have to say though... Maybe I'm being stupid, but is there a reason we're celebrating the 30th anniversary in 2016?
It's the 30th anniversary of the anime. The first episode of Dragon Ball aired February 26th, 1986. But you could also consider it an extended celebration of the manga's 30th anniversary.
I reckoned it would probably be related to the anime, but bah! Sounds like a cheap excuse to sweep it all under one rug. :problem:
Please keep giving us things, though.