Timelines as of Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Timelines as of Super?

Post by Ss5Troten » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:35 am

I understand your reasoning now. I suppose I may just have to let go of the idea for now, I'll organize it all out over the next week and come back to it. Thank you for your input!
Super Saiya-jin 5 Toroten

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

Luke Groundwalker
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Luke Groundwalker » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:26 pm

Ss5Troten wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote:
Ss5Troten wrote:Awesome! I definitely see a lot of organzation here, I'm having to read over it for better clarity though.
I can't really tell how many timelines you've recognized in this outline.

Forgive me for that though, I'm just tired. Is there any way to separate this by timeline or is it already and I'm just missing it? (I see you use the word, just not for organizing)
I don't think there's really a need to separate this into many different timelines. There's potentially near 100+ of them in Dragonball with the way the franchise functions with the amount of contradictory elemetns and things that don't fit together. In short, it's rather pointless to count EVERY possible timeline in the series...
While I agree with you to an extent, it seems like we can coherently use 4, I don't intend to expand more than that. I'd say if it can't fit in to those 4 by any means whatsoever, it's just 100% non-explainable. I'm not trying to canonize it, just organize it, you know?
Again not really considering each alternate continuity features a Trunks and Cell timeline of some capacity. You can't just align everything to those four timelines from the Android arc. In fact, if I were to break down each "continuity" it'd probably look like this...

Manga Continuity: Dr. Slump (series), Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (manga), Dragonball Minus (manga), Dragonball (manga), Yo! Son Goku and Friends, Battle of Gods (movie), Resurrection F (movie), and MAYBE Dragonball Online.
Anime Continuity: Dr. Slump (series), Bardock: Father of Goku, Dragonball (anime), Dead Zone, Dragonball Z (anime), Cooler's Revenge, Bojack Unbound, Wrath of the Dragon, Dragonball GT, A Hero's Legacy.
New Anime Continuity: Dr. Slump (series), Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (manga), Dragonball (anime), Dragonball Kai (anime), Dragonball Super (anime)
Toyotaro Continuity: Dragonball Super (manga) + the basics.
Movie Continuity: Dragonball (anime), Dragonball Z (anime), Movies 1-12, Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans
Heroes Continuity 1-???: Dragonball Heroes. Basically think of this as multiple parallel timelines and other crazy shit. Partially takes place in the real world.
Xenoverse Continuity 1-???: Dragonball Xenoverse. Based on Dragonball Online with some major differences and inclusions. Like the above, also involves multiple timelines and realities.

Those are just the MAIN ones mind you

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:55 am

Dr Slump can't coexist with Dragon Ball. They are 2 different series, with 2 different worlds.
Also, its silly to include games and promo manga.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:24 am

I'd really like to point out that I'm only using official titles here, as in the Manga, the animated movies and the Animes. The only non-canon I wish to include is movies/specials etc and GT. Everything else doesn't have any real relation to Toriyama and camp. Also, outside of a cameo, Slump shouldn't be included here and neither should SD or Neko. Those are silly or entirely separate.

A list of things I might need in my collection (contact me if you should want/need to let go of yours!):

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:12 pm

voltlunok wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:You're assuming that the Cooler cameo in GT is the same Cooler that was in M5.
He is unless you can prove otherwise.
In all honesty the same argument can be turned back on you, how can you prove that it's the M5 Cooler? Specially since after M5 he became Metal Cooler. Yet he shows up in his final form rather then as Metal Cooler or the giant Cyber Cooler. So actually I would say that prove that's not M5 Cooler.

Or!

We can just all agree that Cooler was there to be a neat easter egg for those paying attention, cause I actually believe he was the only movie villain in the super 17 hell breakout scene.
The Daizenshuu & Chozenshuu timelines include Movie 5 (the only other of the original 13 movies in the timelines is Movie 1, because of the Garlic Jr. Arc), so this is the same Coola from Movie 5. Movie 6 isn't mentioned in these timelines, so apparently Coola just dies during Movie 5 in this continuity.

But even if Movie 6 did happen, Coola in GT isn't Metal Coola for the same reason Freeza isn't Mecha Freeza in filler/M12/GT.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:51 pm

Dragon Ball -> Dragon Ball Z -> Dragon Ball GT - the original franchise run adapted from the manga, with the added anime. It considers the first Garlic Jr movie as in-universe, as well as the other character cameos. I refer to this as the 90s Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball Kai -> Dragon Ball Super - a revision of the Dragon Ball Z anime, including the BoG and RoF movies with all new content. Most changes are kept in line with each other, but the story hasn't been finished yet. I consider it Dragon Ball Revisited.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:00 pm

Desassina wrote:Dragon Ball -> Dragon Ball Z -> Dragon Ball GT - the original franchise run adapted from the manga, with the added anime. It considers the first Garlic Jr movie as in-universe, as well as the other character cameos. I refer to this as the 90s Dragon Ball.

Dragon Ball Kai -> Dragon Ball Super - a revision of the Dragon Ball Z anime, including the BoG and RoF movies with all new content. Most changes are kept in line with each other, but the story hasn't been finished yet. I consider it Dragon Ball Revisited.
Add Jaco the Galactic Patrolman/Dragon Ball Minus while you are at it.
Ss5Troten wrote:
Luke Groundwalker wrote:
Awesome! I definitely see a lot of organzation here, I'm having to read over it for better clarity though.
I can't really tell how many timelines you've recognized in this outline.

Forgive me for that though, I'm just tired. Is there any way to separate this by timeline or is it already and I'm just missing it? (I see you use the word, just not for organizing)
Could that be altered when Super reaches Age 789 and 790?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:04 pm

I am waiting for the moment Super ends with a connection to GT and people start ranting because they still cannot accept Dragon Ball does not care about consistency as much as they think.

But it will probably not happen.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:16 pm

Dragon Ball is already inconsistent without fans admitting to it. The best way to frame things is by release order and production sequence, so that we know why certain things were made available to us like that. With that being said, I still haven't read Minus or Jaco, but I guess they could be lumped together with the manga, because of their medium. They're singular works that fit the universe made whole across the media.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:13 pm

While this is not a timeline, it's pretty much how I see the products preceding each other. We can argue about continuities, but some of them wouldn't exist without the studio stepping in, not to mention Akira Toriyama starting it all.

Ss5Troten
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ss5Troten » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:05 am

SilverPlaqueVII wrote: Could that be altered when Super reaches Age 789 and 790?
That will likely be the next logical step. Though, like stated above, it's true there are inconsistencies. Though I don't believe I should give up when faced with them.