Super's Anime vs Super's Manga

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Super's Anime vs Super's Manga

Post by LightBing » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:31 pm

There's small difference's in each material. What changes do you prefer?

For example, Beerus and Champa's fight. In the manga it was a flashback, were we have an immense fight punching planets into oblivion. While in the manga it was a short struggle.
I much prefer how the manga did it. More exciting, it also offered a never seen type of battlet in Dragon Ball, interplanetary.

There's other small stuff. Last episode lacked Piccolo's manga joke, about the bad memories Frost's Assault Form brought to him. Shame, I thought it was excellent.

Some stuff the anime is doing better, providing background to Frost is nice. I prefer it choose to give Goku an extended fight with Assault Frost contrary to his First Form in the manga. Too much First and Final Form Freeza/Frost, I'm suffering from a bit of fatigue.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Re: Super's Anime vs Super's Manga

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:50 pm

I perfer the manga
My English is poor .

Gorou
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gorou » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:57 pm

I go with the manga without a second thought.
The fighting and the designs are much better, some differences tend to be more logical in greater measure (as Gotenks against Beerus, which in the anime does not have the slightest sense) end, last but not least important detail, It has been eliminated all the part of RoF, which was not necessary and that is really horrible in the anime.

Beerus and Champa's fight is 10 times better in the manga: it outlines very well the power of the gods of destruction. Bet it all on the anime, and limit the manga to a mere promotional purposes, will prove to be a failure
Last edited by Gorou on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:I perfer the manga
Why is that? What aspects of the manga do you prefer? What do you feel the anime missed out on in comparison to the manga?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:01 pm

POSITIVES FOR THE MANGA:

- Goku's training after he puts Goten on the tractor being actually visualized.
- Beerus blowing up the planet after they try to poison him.
- No Gotenk & Trunks mini-adventure to get Videl a wedding present.
- Vados & Champa being a running sub-plot which leads to a plausible reason for why Kibito Kai decides now to de-fuse.
- Goku & Beerus' globe-spanning fight from the film is kept along with Goku being an SSG for the whole thing.
- Gotenks being SSJ3.
- Goku biting his tongue after saying Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan over and over.
- Beerus vs Champa is tons better and shows us WHY them fighting is a bad thing.
- Condensing the whole "Bulma & Jaco and let's get everyone up to speed" portion.
- Goku & Vegeta re-creating the fighting poses from the Saiyan Saga.
- How Boo fails the test is funnier in the manga for me.
- Goku vs Botamo is an actual fight while Goku vs Frost is considerably better.
- It takes a huge dump on the anime in terms of visual and fighting quality.

NEGATIVES FOR THE MANGA:

- Goku going through the lesser forms of SSJ against Beerus on King Kai's.
- Goku & Beerus' dialogue about pride being cut out.
- Piccolo and Dende not sensing Beerus is a God.
- SSGs backstory being cut out.
- Goku vs Beerus shaking the universe: don't waste something this impressive on the first God vs God fight!
- It's not weekly.
Last edited by ekrolo2 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:34 pm

I prefer the anime, because i dont consider promo manga a real manga, Super is only anime for me.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:56 pm

Things the manga did better:

BOG arc
- Goku training against imaginary Freeza, Cell and Buu.
- SSJ3 Gotenks.
- Kibitoshin defusion subplot.

Champa arc
- Beerus vs Champa.
- Goku vs Vegeta training (both in Beerus planet and Time Chamber).
- Goku vs Botamo.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:18 pm

I prefer the style and narrative consistency in the manga. I don't have to worry if the battle between Piccolo and Frost is going to look good because Animator X isn't working this week, or post-production wasn't given enough time.

I do like some of the details of the anime like Frost's backstory, and even the gags occasionally work (like the Dine and Dash Frog visiting Zunou).

DragonHermit
Regular

Post by DragonHermit » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:46 pm

LuckyCat wrote:I prefer the style and narrative consistency in the manga. I don't have to worry if the battle between Piccolo and Frost is going to look good because Animator X isn't working this week, or post-production wasn't given enough time.
+1

And I think the anime has much more potential as a medium. But Toei just doesn't give a shit. If HxH 2011 looked that good, there is no reason Super shouldn't.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:47 pm

As of right now, I think I prefer the manga. I really like Toyotaro's artwork and I enjoy a lot of his action. Plus the manga had lots of cool bits that I wish made it into the anime, like the Beerus/Champa flashback and the SSJ Blue poses in the RoSaT. Plus I've always had a soft spot for manga anyway. :P

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:04 pm

With the manga chapters not skipping around anymore this isnt even a question. Manga does the fights and little details better.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:35 pm

The manga certainly handles the battles much better and narrative is far more cohesive and structured, but what I'll always appreciate about the anime is giving the downtime/slice of life episode that have provided the much overdue character interactions and moments that make you realise there's much more to Dragon Ball than just fighting and transformations.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:59 pm

DragonHermit wrote:
LuckyCat wrote:I prefer the style and narrative consistency in the manga. I don't have to worry if the battle between Piccolo and Frost is going to look good because Animator X isn't working this week, or post-production wasn't given enough time.
+1

And I think the anime has much more potential as a medium. But Toei just doesn't give a shit. If HxH 2011 looked that good, there is no reason Super shouldn't.
Where does this basis of "Toei doesn't care" come from?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:15 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
DragonHermit wrote:
+1

Where does this basis of "Toei doesn't care" come from?
The production of Super. It's just a big, fat freakin mess. No time for key animators to correct episodes, music being taking from other Dragon Ball shows, choosing to reanimate certain flashbacks and but not reanimate others... I mean, Episode 5 was unfinished for crying out loud. Has there ever been a case like that for any other of the Dragon Ball animes before that?

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The manga certainly handles the battles much better and narrative is far more cohesive and structured, but what I'll always appreciate about the anime is giving the downtime/slice of life episode that have provided the much overdue character interactions and moments that make you realise there's much more to Dragon Ball than just fighting and transformations.
I can agree with this. The slice of life episodes are very enjoyable. If only the anime team had more time! Super has so much potential.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Despite the fact that the manga skips around and is never really able to go as far into the material as the anime does, I really much prefer it over the anime. Since Toyotaro's doing most of the work for the manga and seems to really know his stuff regarding Dragon Ball, the story is much more cohesive and there's a lot less random plot holes (or suspicious plot points) that come out of nowhere such as Gotenks becoming SS3 instead of regular Gotenks. I mean the guy's a Dragon Ball fanboy, he knows what the audience wants (or at least what I want from what I've read so far). Also the action is much better than the anime as animation requires a lot more effort than just drawing still images. Toyotaro's able to show Beerus and Champa destroying planets left and right unlike the anime where we get a simple fight on a table, which while good too wasn't nearly as epic a showcase of the two God's of Destructions' abilities. Honestly, if Toyotaro just did a full adaptation of Super, I would just go to that as my main source of Dragon Ball entertainment as I was always a bigger fan of the manga anyways.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:59 pm

The manga obviously! It's makes you feel like you can't wait for next chapter the comedy feels more a hit and enjoyable not only that the fights are good unlike the anime which is straight up awful as hell I feel like when I read the manga I feel like there was effort put into it which unlike the anime which is rushed as fuck.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:25 am

The manga x1000000. The art is infinitely better, there are less cutaways to stupid gags, the narrative is better, the characters feel more like themselves, and there is so much great fanservice, such as Goku visualizing himself fighting all the old villains in the first chapter, Goku and Vegeta using the fighting stances they used when they fought in the saiyan saga, and other such references.

The anime is just crap in almost every category. The only thing it has over the manga is that they have more room for content, but even that's poorly utilized.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:56 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Has there ever been a case like that for any other of the Dragon Ball animes before that?
No, all 4 had consistent quality throughout their runs.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:41 pm

Artstyle: Toyotaro is doing a much better job than Toei of imitating Toriyama's artstyle during the original manga's run. +1 point for the manga.

Choreography: Fight scenes just seem overall better choreographed in the manga. +1 point for the manga.

Music: In the original anime, this would be a point in the anime's favor. Amazingly, however, Sumitomo manages to turn the music into yet another +1 point for the manga.

Filler/Unique Content: The anime adds some bad stuff, but it adds some good stuff too. Likewise, the manga has a load of things that the anime doesn't. For this reason, I'll have to give the two a tie when it comes to good original touches. I'll rattle off all of things I can think of that each did better than the other, or just nice little touches and nods that I appreciated:

Manga:
- When Goku is training during "work", he visualizes Freeza, Cell, and Buu; the manga doesn't do this
- We see Champa and Vados earlier on, and with a decent amount of regularity
- The scene where they see the Kaioshin watching them through the crystal ball
- There's a partial implication that Champa's attack on one of Freeza's remaining forces helps prompt Sorbet's resolve to revive Freeza
- The renaming of Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan
- Flashback showing off inter-planetary combat between Beerus and Champa
- Tights has a calendar with Jaco's Beerus-selfie as one of the pictures
- Goku and Vegeta taking their iconic Saiyan arc battle poses in the RoSaT

Anime:
- Near the beginning Beerus destroys half of a planet; in the manga he simply blows the entire planet up
- Episode 2 in general is filled with great moments for Vegeta and Whis
- The flashback showing Beerus punishing King Vegeta for hiding the most comfortable pillow in the universe
- Bulma's birthday party shenanigans; Beerus interacting with everyone; Yamcha slapping him on the back, Vegeta cooking, etc.
- Goku pretending to be hit by Mr. Satan
- Vegeta and Goku's struggles to convince Whis to train them
- Whis' staff having a not!RoSaT
- Gohan actually training, but not being able to attend the tournament due to the conference was nicer than them simply not even asking Gohan in the manga
- Goku sucker-punching Monaka
- Whis redesigning the tournament grounds; Vados having made them look shoddy so as not to insult Champa's intelligence
- The added exposition on Frost's exploits was pretty good

The anime, however, is alone when it comes to the sheer number of bad original touches. The Goten and Trunks plot of Episode 1 was an absolute chore, Pilaf's adventures are far more tedious than they were in BoG, flashbacks are annoyingly prevalent, and just so many scenes are dragged out unnecessarily. Overall, I think the manga is the better way to experience the story, and a few episodes and clips of the anime can spice the experience up if so desired.