Digest Edition (Sōshūhen) Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Re: Digest Edition Pre-Order

Post by Nejishiki » Thu May 12, 2016 2:56 pm

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Thu May 12, 2016 3:15 pm

Ryuman wrote:So, in regards to Jump's tweet of the first chapter page... https://twitter.com/JUMP_REMIX/status/7 ... 8222611456
Is this what we were looking for? I'm going to make a guess and say this is merely modified to resemble the Jump serialization somewhat. Of course, I'm not in a position to know for sure. Anyone with better knowledge on the subject able to make a comment?

And of course, modern advertisement pages :P
Hmm, I wonder if someone who knows what this page looks like in the original Jumps can chime in. The color pages seem to look surprisingly good. I preordered two volumes of these yesterday, I'm looking forward to them :D

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Thu May 12, 2016 4:45 pm

Wezenheim wrote:
Ryuman wrote:So, in regards to Jump's tweet of the first chapter page... https://twitter.com/JUMP_REMIX/status/7 ... 8222611456
Is this what we were looking for? I'm going to make a guess and say this is merely modified to resemble the Jump serialization somewhat. Of course, I'm not in a position to know for sure. Anyone with better knowledge on the subject able to make a comment?

And of course, modern advertisement pages :P
Hmm, I wonder if someone who knows what this page looks like in the original Jumps can chime in. The color pages seem to look surprisingly good. I preordered two volumes of these yesterday, I'm looking forward to them :D
There's one on eBay for only like 500 bucks I'll buy it real quick and let ya know 8)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu May 12, 2016 11:53 pm

Here is a quick comparison. The paper quality seems better (which I am very thankful for)

Edit: More photos
ImageImageImageImageImage

Can't wait to get mine now!

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Detective X » Fri May 13, 2016 2:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Here is a quick comparison. The paper quality seems better (which I am very thankful for)
Wow! I was expecting thin pages ala the 3-in-1's, but these pages look like they might be thicker than I was expecting. Mine should be in on Monday! :-D
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 13, 2016 5:55 pm

Detective X wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:Here is a quick comparison. The paper quality seems better (which I am very thankful for)
Wow! I was expecting thin pages ala the 3-in-1's, but these pages look like they might be thicker than I was expecting. Mine should be in on Monday! :-D
Original jumps papet is kinda thick and woody/pulpy. But it looks like its a little better paper

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri May 13, 2016 6:01 pm

eledoremassis02, can you please tell me if the title page for Chapter 005 is included? It's the one that Toriyama re-drew for the kanzenban where Blooma is smoking a cigarette (in truth it's a chocolate candy cigarette) and Goku is standing on the wing of the plane in the background.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Sat May 14, 2016 6:21 am

Tyro wrote:eledoremassis02, can you please tell me if the title page for Chapter 005 is included? It's the one that Toriyama re-drew for the kanzenban where Blooma is smoking a cigarette (in truth it's a chocolate candy cigarette) and Goku is standing on the wing of the plane in the background.
Nope. https://twitter.com/you_bet_11/status/7 ... 9331704832

So, different lettering, redrawn title page, missing text, etc. (https://twitter.com/pekindaq/status/731389217851346944)
We have a Frankenstein, and I'm not sure what else I was expecting...

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat May 14, 2016 6:59 am

Welp, then that makes it seem unlikely we'll get any other changed content in its original form. Soooo... looks like I won't be picking this up after all.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Sat May 14, 2016 7:05 am

Aaaaaand Kanzenban still reigns supreme :)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:38 am

for the page count, size and price this is still an awesome release and it doesnt totally devalue the original printings :D

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Sat May 14, 2016 9:56 am

I'm so on the fence about this. Is there anything special about this other than the novelty of owning the (mostly unchanged) original Jump run of the manga? It has that formally rare Chapter 012 title page, right? That's something, I guess... The title page for Chapter 005 would have sealed the deal for me. I never expected it to be a perfect 1:1 reproduction with all the bells and whistles.

Atp23
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Atp23 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:50 am

Bummer! Still will be picking up the collection, but of course woulda been nice to have it exactly as it was. Still a step up from previous collected volumes imo.

Wezenheim
Advanced Regular

Post by Wezenheim » Sat May 14, 2016 11:22 am

Aw darn, bummer about that title page. Oh well, I might collect these for the price and the novelty anyway! I'm still looking forward to getting my copies Monday.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun May 15, 2016 2:56 am

So I guess this is more of an "in-the-style-of Jump" type release than an exact replication of the original printings. That's kind of a bummer, but not a deal-breaker for me. I don't have the manga in Japanese yet and this seems like an affordable way to own the series in what looks like decent quality. Also, getting any title pages that have been missing from previous releases will be a plus (missing title pages were a thing, right?).
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:45 pm

More pics comparing one chapter. The paper quality is a bit better too. I mean. They're not 100% reproductions but I'll be collecting the whole set! On the plusside you get a bit more detail (photo 6) the original ones were a bit inky so you didnt get all the detail
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Mon May 16, 2016 10:08 pm

I started collecting the Kanzenbans recently, but don't have that many. Are these "digest editions" better than those? If so, I'll move on to these rather than the kanzenban

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon May 16, 2016 11:13 pm

SSGSS Goku wrote:I started collecting the Kanzenbans recently, but don't have that many. Are these "digest editions" better than those? If so, I'll move on to these rather than the kanzenban
In a lot of ways these are like big cheaper kazenbans. They have a bit more color (Jump added some in the original printings) The paper is a mix of thicker newsprint and semiglossy for the color pages.

Overall the Kaznenbans are a higher quality product but if you are looking for japanese release with color pages that a cheap these are the way to go (and the bigger page size is a bonus!)

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Mon May 16, 2016 11:35 pm

Tyro wrote:It has that formally rare Chapter 012 title page, right?
That's correct, and I'm kinda torn about. I spent a ton of time scanning and editing the title page so we could have it on the site, and now Shueisha decides to raid the archives and actually include it?! No! Up until this point it had never been published anywhere outside of Weekly Jump. Ugh... But in all seriousness, it's nice to finally have it widely available all these years later.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed May 18, 2016 11:36 am

Hujio wrote:
Tyro wrote:It has that formally rare Chapter 012 title page, right?
That's correct, and I'm kinda torn about. I spent a ton of time scanning and editing the title page so we could have it on the site, and now Shueisha decides to raid the archives and actually include it?! No! Up until this point it had never been published anywhere outside of Weekly Jump. Ugh... But in all seriousness, it's nice to finally have it widely available all these years later.
If it makes you feel better, they subtly edited the text at the bottom to remove the name of the contest winner originally mentioned in Jump (one Takashi Hayashida from Miyazaki Prefecture). So we still have that over this edition.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。