Criticism of Dragonball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:10 am

The Cell arc is what I started with in my Dragon Ball fandom, so it's got a special place in my heart. The Saiyan arc & all of the Tenkaichi Budokai arcs are my favs for reasons stated earlier.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

Namek'jin Ryu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namek'jin Ryu » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:10 am

It has certainly been awhile since I've been to this site and posted, but this thread caught my attention. So I decided to post something...

One thing that I absolutely got tired of as DragonBall Z went on was how much time the Z-fighters would spend powering up. Sometimes it seemed as if their powering up scene's would be longer then the actual fighting. I remember during the Frieza Arc I would think that the only reason they were doing this was to just drag on and make us wait for the next day to see what happens. (I was a kid and knew nothing of DragonBall in Japanese at the time. So I thought it was being made right then and there.)

I have to agree with the people who have said the Tenkaichi Budokai's were my favorite. Not only though's, but also the time we got to see the Z-fighters with their families doing normal family things. I thought it was a great way to expand their characters, by us seeing how they are in their family. Although we didn't get to see this much. The only saga that jumps out at me would be the Cell Saga, where they have 10 days before the tournament.
100th Post: October 22, 2006 @ 1:58 pm

The Prince

Post by The Prince » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:45 am

I hate that Yamcha never has one real victory(minus Recoome and Olibu which is filler and isn't really a fight) throughout the entire series. Also that he gets humiliated and made out to look like a fool all the time...
"The reign of the dark horse has ended!"

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:46 am

I agree, Yamcha is too damn underrated.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:35 am

Just as Mr. Satan was really lucky, Yamcha was made to be really unlucky. He did put up a good fight against Tien still. I still don't like how they made him a wuss later on though. Especially how he was very brave early on knowing he was outclassed and had a broken leg but still was willing to fight.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:45 pm

JAPPO wrote:I'm ashamed to say I never watched the full Dragonball series.
I'm in the same boat, sadly.
Oh, and if you think Dragonball Z is long, I'd hate to think about how long Naruto is going to last...
hehe, Part II airs in 6 days... 8)

I really wish I could have seen the entire series. If I had the extra money I'd buy it all(But I think we all would do that.) But my only complaint is that technology wasn't that good back then. If only they would reanimate it now with quality like the Budokai openings...maybe one day...on the 100th anniversary.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Snail

Post by Snail » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:27 pm

Another thing that erks me about the series, is it's inconsistent animation. It is especially noticable once Dragonball Z rolls in.

In regards to Naruto part 2: Final-fucking-ly.

I know it's off-topic, but I'm too excited :D

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:42 am

I've seen the whole series and everything, but I've always read the manga a lot more than I've watched the anime, so my complaints aren't going to be about animation. :D The manga certainly ages better than the anime, and doesn't have the same 'dragged-out' moments.

I've always hated that Goku is top dog at all times, and if he isn't, he will be again soon. No one can keep up with him. Every figher introduced is just about at his level, but a few chapters (episodes) later, they will quickly come to the conclusion that Goku cannot be surpassed and will eventually just be another of his 'friends' who stand around, gasping at his battles and wishing they could be more useful. Vegeta managed to keep up with him for a lot of DBZ, but he was always outclassed when it counts and eventually joins the ranks of people who accept Goku as insurpassable.

After that, there's just a bunch of little things that occasionally irk me... like characters picking up random powers that suit the moment without explanation. (Hey, I think Goku should have psychic abilites and be able to communicate with telepathy.. just.. because he's Goku.. oh and later, he can read MINDS!... but just that one time... Oh and Piccolo can conjur clothing out of thin air... why not?)

Goku's "training" also becomes annoyingly predictable... it just become a matter of how he could possibly stack more weight on himself while he did push ups and punched at the air. Whether it's a turtle shell or weighted clothes, I really wished these parts could've been handled more creatively. The whole concept died with gravity training. After that, it's just a matter of how much gravity are they training under... (Hey, how are we going to get him stronger now? I duno, the last one was training under 100 times gravity... Screw it, just bump it up to 300 and make him sweat a lot...)
He's trained by Old masters, Mystical cat masters, and Gods of all levels of existance but in the end, nothing can outdo a good ol.. gravity machine.. :roll:

And I don't know why, but what is about giving Goku meaningful relationships that makes Mr.Toriyama nervous? I remember being so excited when Goku saw Gramppy Gohan again and when it got to the point Goku died later, I was sure there'd be abother reunion... but for all the time Goku spent dead, he never saw him again.
And Radditz. It's Goku's brother (What a twist!) and what happened with him? That storyline could've had so much potential and it's just 'My name's Goku! Rawr!' and it leads to Vegeta... More should've come of Goku's long lost brother.

I'm a fan, but sometimes we nitpick at the things we care about. :D

lets go swimming

Post by lets go swimming » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:34 am

DBZ is a horrible anime, weak inconsistant animation, long pauses where nothing happens, not even animation. Then there's the inconsistant story telling because they're trying to drag the episodes out longer. Instead of 8 episodes of furza staring at goku, they could have put a whole filler arc where goku has to stop on his way to namek to allow the manga to get ahead.

Now for the story as a whole, after furiza, the series comes completely formulatic, and just gets ridiculous in the buu saga.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:16 am

lets go swimming wrote:Now for the story as a whole, after furiza, the series comes completely formulatic, and just gets ridiculous in the buu saga.
You've got to be kidding... :roll:

Here's your first warning. As you agreed to in the forum rules before registering, you will type properly on this forum. Proper names should be capitalized.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:16 pm

lets go swimming wrote:Instead of 8 episodes of furza staring at goku, they could have put a whole filler arc where goku has to stop on his way to namek to allow the manga to get ahead.
Who the hell is "furza"? :P
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Black Mist
Beyond Newbie

Post by Black Mist » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:22 pm

lets go swimming wrote:DBZ is a horrible anime, weak inconsistent animation, long pauses where nothing happens, not even animation. Then there's the inconsistent story telling because they're trying to drag the episodes out longer. Instead of 8 episodes of Freeza staring at Goku, they could have put a whole filler arc where Goku has to stop on his way to Namek to allow the manga to get ahead.

Now for the story as a whole, after Freeiza, the series comes completely formulaic, and just gets ridiculous in the Buu saga.
Ironic how someone goes to a Dragon Ball Forum and starts bashing the anime huh? Note I fixed up your post in my quote 1. because it hurt my eyes and 2. to show you how its supposed to be written.
Black Mist: B team
I am also a respected podcast audio emailer.Listen to my adventures with my sidekick B in nintedo.theretrocast.com.Or just random stuff at www.onholdpodcast.com

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:51 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:I've seen the whole series and everything, but
And I don't know why, but what is about giving Goku meaningful relationships that makes Mr.Toriyama nervous? I remember being so excited when Goku saw Gramppy Gohan again and when it got to the point Goku died later, I was sure there'd be abother reunion... but for all the time Goku spent dead, he never saw him again.
And Radditz. It's Goku's brother (What a twist!) and what happened with him? That storyline could've had so much potential and it's just 'My name's Goku! Rawr!' and it leads to Vegeta... More should've come of Goku's long lost brother.
Oh man, right on brother. Sometimes I wish Toriyama had given Toei more plot to work with for the anime. Characters rarely seem to have any sort of deep conflict or show a wide array of emotions. This was largely forgivable in the days of Dragonball when it was still a gag anime, but the character development in Dragonball Z is just SORELY lacking.

Maybe the reason Vegeta was so popular was because he seemed to be the character with the most development.
lets go swimming wrote:DBZ is a horrible anime, weak inconsistant animation, long pauses where nothing happens, not even animation. Then there's the inconsistant story telling because they're trying to drag the episodes out longer. Instead of 8 episodes of furza staring at goku, they could have put a whole filler arc where goku has to stop on his way to namek to allow the manga to get ahead.

Now for the story as a whole, after furiza, the series comes completely formulatic, and just gets ridiculous in the buu saga.
lol @ this post. Furza is like the name of Freeza's pet gerbil or something.

PiccoloDaimao

Post by PiccoloDaimao » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:44 pm

For me personally, I love dragonball to death. The start of the 22nd Budokai, Daimao saga, and 23nd Budokai are some of my favorites out of the whole db/z/gt series. Though overall to me the saiyan saga up to the freeza saga was the absolute pinnacle for me.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:11 am

lol @ this post. Furza is like the name of Freeza's pet gerbil or something.
That made me laugh.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

DBW
Regular

Post by DBW » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:41 am

lets go swimming wrote:DBZ is a horrible anime, weak inconsistant animation, long pauses where nothing happens, not even animation.
Tell me about it! I hate it when the animators get lazy and just put in random live-action sequences. Remeber the episode where Vegeta and Nappa first arrive on Earth? Pathetic...

The complete DragonBall archive...Believe.
www.kanzentai.com

Coola Yagami
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Coola Yagami » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:00 am

Hmm complaints eh? Let me see...

Fighters being powerful and useful one saga and useless the next. It's like once a villian reforms, he also becomes another one of the crowd of people that are all 'OMG!!! Goku's so powerful!!' whenever he fights.

Never a real free-for-all, it's always one on one. Even when Vegeta had a bunch of Saibamen lined up he had to do that 'let's play a game and have em fight 1 by 1' instead of having all the fighters beat them up. The main villians never have henchmen of a lesser power so that the humans can win a few battles. No, even someone the level of Pui Pui or Kiwi would be someone that would be light years beyond Kuririn or Yamcha's level to take out.

And yeah, the animation. Excellently drawn 1 ep, horrible the next. This is especially bad during the Cell saga where the shape and size of Cell's helmet changed per episode.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:22 pm

DBW wrote:
lets go swimming wrote:DBZ is a horrible anime, weak inconsistant animation, long pauses where nothing happens, not even animation.
Tell me about it! I hate it when the animators get lazy and just put in random live-action sequences. Remeber the episode where Vegeta and Nappa first arrive on Earth? Pathetic...

<snip image>

Heh, gets me thinking of the Super Mario Bros Super Show. :P

As for criticism, I guess I would have to go with the usual "character uselessness" and "drag-on" complaints. I guess during the Freeza arc, many of the characters had the excuss of being dead, but after that... yeah, it's kinda like; why even bother brining them back to life they're not going to do anything?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 pm

Yeah, I agree that there were never any true "free for all" battles. Its funny to me that I think the best fight scene was in Movie 8(Brolli's first film) because it was more of a "free for all" type fight.

And movie 13's figthing rocked as well.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:44 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:Who the hell is "furza"? :P
Freeza's Furry brother. They don't talk about him much.