So it seems universe 10 has an Elder Kaioshin aswell..

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodVegetto91
Banned

So it seems universe 10 has an Elder Kaioshin aswell..

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:04 am

Did he fuse with an Old Witch too? As i recall the only reason Elder Kaioshin looks so old is because he accidently fused with an Old Witch. That was stated because Kaioshins don't physically age. But i guess Toriyama forgot that again aswell.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: So it seems universe 10 has an Elder Kaioshin aswell..

Post by Pantalones » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:08 am

I don't think it was ever stated that Kaioshins don't physically age. All we know is that they can live a LONG time and that the East Kaioshin from the 7th universe was the youngest of his generation; the others all got killed or absorbed 5 million years before, so we never got to see if they would have visibly aged over time if they'd still been around.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:50 am

Pantalones wrote:I don't think it was ever stated that Kaioshins don't physically age. All we know is that they can live a LONG time and that the East Kaioshin from the 7th universe was the youngest of his generation; the others all got killed or absorbed 5 million years before, so we never got to see if they would have visibly aged over time if they'd still been around.
I know all that. But you're wrong, it was pretty much stated (or at least heavily implied) that Kaioshins don't age by themselves. Like i said, the only reason Elder Kaioshin looks so old is because of the Old Witch he merged with. That's flat out stated. And thus it heavily implies that were it not for that Old Witch he would've looked the same as he did before the fusion. Not to mention East Kaioshin was already over 5 million years old by the Buu Arc and look at his appearance. Practically youthful.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:09 pm

The old Kaioshin is too much of a weird exception to base any guesses on. He spent who-knows-how-long sealed inside a sword thanks to Beerus, and when he's out he says that he probably only had around 1000 years left in his life anyway (when transferring his life to Goku), so it's possible that fusing with the witch didn't just make him look old but actually made him physically get old enough that he'd die soon.

We don't have 15 generations of Kaioshins still running around alive and well, so a Kaioshin's normal lifespan would not stretch nearly as long as the amount of time the old guy was sealed inside the Z-Sword. We only heard about the other four from the most recent generation being killed/absorbed by Buu, not a horde of still-living past Kaioshins, so the others of the old guy's generation (and the others in between him and the most recent ones) most likely died from old age at some point. What happened with Buu was talked about like a freak exception, not what normally happens, so it'd be a little odd if all the past Kaioshins got killed by force rather than just getting old and passing on. Seems like there's a good chance that the old Kaioshin's aging was halted while he was sealed in the sword, and he wouldn't have still been around this long after his generation otherwise, especially not after being fused with the old witch. Beerus may have actually (unintentionally) prolonged the guy's life by sealing him in the sword!

And looking at how the East Kaioshin was the youngest and least-experienced of his group, and still looks young 5 million years or so later... I guess you could interpret that as "they don't age," but we see Kaioshins and Kaioshin-like characters with older-looking features than what the East Kaioshin has. Heck, Kibito's older and wrinkly and he seems to be the same species as the Kaioshin, just without their godly title... maybe he was the attendant to the previous Kaioshins back before Buu showed up, just like how Mr. Popo was around before Kami and sticks around even after the position passes to Dende. I don't think the "old Kaioshin was sealed away 75 million years ago" thing from the Daizenshuu timeline can actually be accurate, considering that it seems to assume that a Kaioshin "generation" is 5 million years, even though we know the East Kaioshin is older than that already and still considered young and inexperienced by Kaioshin standards. Most likely, the old Kaioshin probably goes back to a time something more in line with several hundred million years, maybe even over a billion. The universe is something like 13 billion years old, after all (assuming Dragonball universe is the same age as ours), so why not?

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:55 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Pantalones wrote:I don't think it was ever stated that Kaioshins don't physically age. All we know is that they can live a LONG time and that the East Kaioshin from the 7th universe was the youngest of his generation; the others all got killed or absorbed 5 million years before, so we never got to see if they would have visibly aged over time if they'd still been around.
I know all that. But you're wrong, it was pretty much stated (or at least heavily implied) that Kaioshins don't age by themselves. Like i said, the only reason Elder Kaioshin looks so old is because of the Old Witch he merged with. That's flat out stated. And thus it heavily implies that were it not for that Old Witch he would've looked the same as he did before the fusion. Not to mention East Kaioshin was already over 5 million years old by the Buu Arc and look at his appearance. Practically youthful.
Actually if you look at the manga depiction of him before the fusion he does have wrinkles and general age lines. He may look relatively good for his age and they probably age more gracefully towards the end of their lives but it does clearly show that they have physical signs of ageing by that time.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Kibito is always describing the Earthlings as "mortals" and since we know they can die, it seems the term could only have relevance if they were immortal in the sense that they don't age (like the elves of Middle Earth).

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:56 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:Kibito is always describing the Earthlings as "mortals" and since we know they can die, it seems the term could only have relevance if they were immortal in the sense that they don't age (like the elves of Middle Earth).
It depends on how it is depicted really. I think there are some mythologies that just had gods who live for extremely long times. And in the Marvel Universe Thor often calls Earthlings mortals. But Odin has aged and it is often depicted that he may not live for another year. It is never specifically stated that the Kaioshin are immortal. Just that they are gods and are above "mortals" which the term could just mean beings that aren't gods. It doesn't necessarily have to mean that they are immortal.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:27 pm

Hitiro wrote:It depends on how it is depicted really. I think there are some mythologies that just had gods who live for extremely long times. And in the Marvel Universe Thor often calls Earthlings mortals. But Odin has aged and it is often depicted that he may not live for another year. It is never specifically stated that the Kaioshin are immortal. Just that they are gods and are above "mortals" which the term could just mean beings that aren't gods. It doesn't necessarily have to mean that they are immortal.
After looking at it more closely, only the Viz translation uses the term "mortal"; Herms & Steve Simmons express it as "lower being". So you're probably right.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Son_Gohan wrote:After looking at it more closely, only the Viz translation uses the term "mortal"; Herms & Steve Simmons express it as "lower being". So you're probably right.
Yeah, "mortal" is Viz's way of handling DB's habit of using ningen/"human" as a catch-all term for anyone who isn't a god/demon/robot. They presumably thought it would be weird for Kaioshin and Kibito to refer to Goku/Gohan/Vegeta as "humans", so they somewhat liberally translated ningen as "mortal" in those cases.

(See also: the current thing with Goku Black having an axe to grind with ningen/"humans", once again apparently meaning a broader category of sentient life than simply Earth folk, since he's attacked several planets so far. And before that, the big tournament between select ningen/"humans" from Universe 6 and 7, even though neither team featured any Earthlings and the entire starting point for the tournament was that U6's Earth was devoid of life. This confused people at the time, just as Black's talk of "humans" is confusing people now, but it's all just instances of the unusual though fairly consistent way the series uses the term "human".)
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Herms wrote:
Son_Gohan wrote:After looking at it more closely, only the Viz translation uses the term "mortal"; Herms & Steve Simmons express it as "lower being". So you're probably right.
Yeah, "mortal" is Viz's way of handling DB's habit of using ningen/"human" as a catch-all term for anyone who isn't a god/demon/robot. They presumably thought it would be weird for Kaioshin and Kibito to refer to Goku/Gohan/Vegeta as "humans", so they somewhat liberally translated ningen as "mortal" in those cases.

(See also: the current thing with Goku Black having an axe to grind with ningen/"humans", once again apparently meaning a broader category of sentient life than simply Earth folk, since he's attacked several planets so far. And before that, the big tournament between select ningen/"humans" from Universe 6 and 7, even though neither team featured any Earthlings and the entire starting point for the tournament was that U6's Earth was devoid of life. This confused people at the time, just as Black's talk of "humans" is confusing people now, but it's all just instances of the unusual though fairly consistent way the series uses the term "human".)
If Black is trying to wipe out every mortal being in the universe, he's spending an awful lot of time on Earth alone... he'll never make any progress at this rate.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:58 pm

He can't age. He'll ALL the time he needs.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:42 am

ShadowBardock89 wrote:He can't age. He'll ALL the time he needs.
The universe is pretty big. If he spends so much time on each individual planet, then a civilization could easily advance from the stone age and build a fleet of spaceships and being colonizing the galaxy before he even gets to them.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:13 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
ShadowBardock89 wrote:He can't age. He'll ALL the time he needs.
The universe is pretty big. If he spends so much time on each individual planet, then a civilization could easily advance from the stone age and build a fleet of spaceships and being colonizing the galaxy before he even gets to them.
Guess he will have to spam some solar system busters then ^^ lol. If kid buu could wreck a galaxy in a couple of years i dont see why black couldnt do it. Plus IIRC, black said he needs to kill the humans for the sake of justice. So i doubt he wants to kill all life in the universe. Just specific races. Which could may be just a dozen, so wouldnt take to long, max a few decades if he takes his time.

Tho i get the feeling, he sticked around earth for such a long time due to trunks fighting him and increasing his strength, so he is sticking around till he can squeez out all the power his fighting with trunks can bring him.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:39 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Did he fuse with an Old Witch too? As i recall the only reason Elder Kaioshin looks so old is because he accidently fused with an Old Witch. That was stated because Kaioshins don't physically age. But i guess Toriyama forgot that again aswell.
where did u see an elder kaioshin? I only seen the green one

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:30 am

jplaya2023 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Did he fuse with an Old Witch too? As i recall the only reason Elder Kaioshin looks so old is because he accidently fused with an Old Witch. That was stated because Kaioshins don't physically age. But i guess Toriyama forgot that again aswell.
where did u see an elder kaioshin? I only seen the green one
In the preview at the very beginning and at 12 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TocW2HvCslc

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:45 pm

I'm just wondering why other universes seem to have 2 kaioshins like Universe 7

shouldn't they have one kaioshin for each quadrant of their universe, and a grand kaioshin, like Universe 7 used to before Majin Buu killed them?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Maybe only 2 of them had time to visit the tournament, and the others were busy.

Wizard Sesame
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wizard Sesame » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:33 pm

MaxZ wrote:I'm just wondering why other universes seem to have 2 kaioshins like Universe 7

shouldn't they have one kaioshin for each quadrant of their universe, and a grand kaioshin, like Universe 7 used to before Majin Buu killed them?
I think they're just going with the Twel-Boo Mysteries idea that kind of overwrote the manga: that there are 3 Kaioshin on duty at all times that rotate if I recall.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:07 pm

MaxZ wrote:I'm just wondering why other universes seem to have 2 kaioshins like Universe 7

Only a single Kaioushin from Universe 6 came to attend the tournament, as the one wearing a hat was indicated to be an attendant like Kibito was. Logically speaking, one could simply say that the other Kaioushin of Universe 6 wanted to stay for the sake of continuing to oversee their universe, and simply sent one of their members as a representative to it. Whereas with Universe 7, East and Rou Kaioushin were well acquainted and friends with Goku and the others, so they had a more personal interest in the tournament, and not simply there for the sake of formalities.

And with Zamasu, given that he's established to be an apprentice, it's possible that he is serving as apprentice to this specific Kaioushin to eventually succeed him when his apprenticeship is complete, or that this Kaioushin is simply serving as his teacher/instructor until his apprenticeship is complete. There could easily be other Kaioushin for Universe 10, but they're not around simply because their duties don't involve Zamasu at all

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:36 pm

The episode isn't out yet, so just because we only saw two Kaioshin in the preview doesn't mean we won't see more in the actual episode.