900 Minutes of Uncut Action, DBZ Season 1 Arrives

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:01 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:The Bo-BoBo DVDs are bilingual, aren't they?
Yes, however the Japanese version is dubtitled, and add to that the discs are supposedly encoded like crap. Like Corey said, Illumitoon really dropped the ball. Kinda funny how that company's run by ex FUNi employees. >>
14 years later

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:04 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:The Bo-BoBo DVDs are bilingual, aren't they?
Yes, however the Japanese version is dubtitled, and add to that the discs are supposedly encoded like crap. Like Corey said, Illumitoon really dropped the ball. Kinda funny how that company's run by ex FUNi employees. >>
Ah.

Still, I do kinda like the dubbed version. If you ask me, script changes and stuff are mostly excusable in a series like Bo-Bobo, where a lot of the jokes are so Japanese culture-focused. Not worth getting the DVD though, I guess.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Post by 707 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:10 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote: There's nothing wrong with asking for a quality product for your money.
I understand this, and I agree with it to a degree. But for most people, the set is "good enough." And the sales reflect this. I don't think that Funimation could get MANY of the people who bought the first set, let alone a large majority, to "double dip" if a 4:3 box is released. So the best outcome that I can see is that the future box sets are released in fullscreen. Or a running change, but that's even less likely.

You have to ask yourself, WHY would Funimation do this? I know that the fans are programmed to feel like they've been cheated, or lied to, or that the company is purposely offering them an inferior product. I feel like they honestly felt that the widescreen release would be attractive to most consumers. Why they didn't offer a fullscreen release as well, as an alternate version on the same set or a completely separate product, is the real question. Maybe they were hoping for a double-dip? Hollywood companies do it all of the time.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:12 pm

well I will say this as a fan of the Bo7 dub as seen on toonami, I bought the disc the day it came out. While the menus are EXCEPTIONALLY unprofessional and lame (I could do slightly better wuith my DVD burers included DVD making tool), I had no real issues with the video product on the disc. If you're looking for standard DVD production/the Japanese version jokes unchanged - you're probably going to want to skip it. That said if you like the Bo7 dub its honestly cheap enough to be worth it.

Not a high reccomendation but as a Bo7 dub fan, I liked it.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:22 am

707 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote: There's nothing wrong with asking for a quality product for your money.
I understand this, and I agree with it to a degree.
...I'm at a loss. You agree that asking for a quality product for your money is understandable, but only to a degree. Wow.

Why do I feel like I'm fighting the fanbase to convince them that we don't have to settle for dogshit?
But for most people, the set is "good enough."
That would be the rub, yes? People will gullibly swallow whatever is fed to them. You should see the ignorant commants on Amazon.com. Most people think DVNR has something to do with DDR, I'm sure >_>;
And the sales reflect this. I don't think that Funimation could get MANY of the people who bought the first set, let alone a large majority, to "double dip" if a 4:3 box is released. So the best outcome that I can see is that the future box sets are released in fullscreen. Or a running change, but that's even less likely.
I dunno, if they made it cheap enough I suppose everyone would buy 3. That seems to be the selling point of this box. It won't happen either way though. The series has been telecined completely, more than likely. All they had to do was program the presets and let 'er rip. No human intervention, no nothing. That's why Nappa has no teeth and Gohan flashes blue...but that's good enough, right?
You have to ask yourself, WHY would Funimation do this?
Because they made a stupid mistake. Why do you think these sets are so cheap, altruism? I guarantee if these sets were more in line with other anime releases in terms of price, people would be shitting themselves and reading FUNimation the riot act. The price is the only selling point for a lot of the people purchasing it.
I know that the fans are programmed to feel like they've been cheated, or lied to, or that the company is purposely offering them an inferior product.
Possibly because we've been cheated and lied to, followed by being offered an inferior product. Were you around for their advertising blitz? Overscan and misframed shots that don't even match the final product? Or the falsified before/after shots on the DVD set itself? The mention of a frame-by-frame remastering job that was really just a computer running on auto?

(Funny sidenote: Their representatives were all over the online forums when this set was being advertised...but as soon as it hit and we picked it apart and pointed out their lies...they disappeared.)

We weren't just cheated and lied to, we were insulted. Who cares though. It's cheap, right?
I feel like they honestly felt that the widescreen release would be attractive to most consumers. Why they didn't offer a fullscreen release as well, as an alternate version on the same set or a completely separate product, is the real question.
Because they telecined the film at 16:9? Hard to derive a 4:3 master when that footage was discarded in the initial process.
Maybe they were hoping for a double-dip? Hollywood companies do it all of the time
This is the double-dip, hombre. People spent 6 years collecting 251 episodes of 291, and now they get to start all over with no other alternative. All because they supported FUNimation. Oh well.
If you're looking for standard DVD production/the Japanese version jokes unchanged - you're probably going to want to skip it. That said if you like the Bo7 dub its honestly cheap enough to be worth it.
I'd avoid it just because they did a bad job and will probably redo it soon. Or the company will fail, one of those two. The subtitles are dubtitles, and formatted worse than a Hong Kong bootleg. You can read AnimeonDVD's review on it that I posted earlier in the thread. Sad thing? I was ready to buy it.

Btw, am the the only one who thinks it's funny that Illumitoon is practically an offshoot of FUNimation? Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ;p

-Corey

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:23 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Why do I feel like I'm fighting the fanbase to convince them that we don't have to settle for dogshit?
I know! I know! This is an easy one.

Because you are!

I've given up. If they want to eat shit, let them and I'll take the DragonBox single releases and eat steak.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:32 am

ect5150 wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Why do I feel like I'm fighting the fanbase to convince them that we don't have to settle for dogshit?

Because you are!

I've given up. If they want to eat shit, let them and I'll take the DragonBox single releases and eat steak.
WINNAR IS YUO.

It's sad, but you're right. The facts are out there, what people do with them is their own damned business.

-Corey

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:54 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
707 wrote:
I understand this, and I agree with it to a degree.
...I'm at a loss. You agree that asking for a quality product for your money is understandable, but only to a degree. Wow.

Why do I feel like I'm fighting the fanbase to convince them that we don't have to settle for dogshit?
But for most people, the set is "good enough."
That would be the rub, yes? People will gullibly swallow whatever is fed to them. You should see the ignorant commants on Amazon.com. Most people think DVNR has something to do with DDR, I'm sure >_>;
And the sales reflect this. I don't think that Funimation could get MANY of the people who bought the first set, let alone a large majority, to "double dip" if a 4:3 box is released. So the best outcome that I can see is that the future box sets are released in fullscreen. Or a running change, but that's even less likely.
I dunno, if they made it cheap enough I suppose everyone would buy 3. That seems to be the selling point of this box. It won't happen either way though. The series has been telecined completely, more than likely. All they had to do was program the presets and let 'er rip. No human intervention, no nothing. That's why Nappa has no teeth and Gohan flashes blue...but that's good enough, right?
You have to ask yourself, WHY would Funimation do this?
Because they made a stupid mistake. Why do you think these sets are so cheap, altruism? I guarantee if these sets were more in line with other anime releases in terms of price, people would be shitting themselves and reading FUNimation the riot act. The price is the only selling point for a lot of the people purchasing it.
I know that the fans are programmed to feel like they've been cheated, or lied to, or that the company is purposely offering them an inferior product.
Possibly because we've been cheated and lied to, followed by being offered an inferior product. Were you around for their advertising blitz? Overscan and misframed shots that don't even match the final product? Or the falsified before/after shots on the DVD set itself? The mention of a frame-by-frame remastering job that was really just a computer running on auto?

(Funny sidenote: Their representatives were all over the online forums when this set was being advertised...but as soon as it hit and we picked it apart and pointed out their lies...they disappeared.)

We weren't just cheated and lied to, we were insulted. Who cares though. It's cheap, right?
I feel like they honestly felt that the widescreen release would be attractive to most consumers. Why they didn't offer a fullscreen release as well, as an alternate version on the same set or a completely separate product, is the real question.
Because they telecined the film at 16:9? Hard to derive a 4:3 master when that footage was discarded in the initial process.
Maybe they were hoping for a double-dip? Hollywood companies do it all of the time
This is the double-dip, hombre. People spent 6 years collecting 251 episodes of 291, and now they get to start all over with no other alternative. All because they supported FUNimation. Oh well.
If you're looking for standard DVD production/the Japanese version jokes unchanged - you're probably going to want to skip it. That said if you like the Bo7 dub its honestly cheap enough to be worth it.
I'd avoid it just because they did a bad job and will probably redo it soon. Or the company will fail, one of those two. The subtitles are dubtitles, and formatted worse than a Hong Kong bootleg. You can read AnimeonDVD's review on it that I posted earlier in the thread. Sad thing? I was ready to buy it.

Btw, am the the only one who thinks it's funny that Illumitoon is practically an offshoot of FUNimation? Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ;p

-Corey
I bought it because I'm quite afraid the company WILL fail and I don't want to lose the episodes. That said the apple actually fell far far from the tree. Only in the sense that these DVDs make "Captain Ginyu Assault" look like good DVD authoring :P

As for your comments about being ripped off as DBZ fans, I think for many, many people its just a "we give up" thing. There was a time when many of us were quite ready to rip FUNimation a new one (myself included) but for many of us, its been over 10 years of being upset at north american DBZ product. With the DVD's being the closest to what we wanted and well...to put it bluntly, fighting and kicking and screaming for about a decade really wears you out. Maybe thats not noble or nice even, but it is part of being human. It just isn't healthy to stay that pissed off for that long of a period.

Domon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Domon » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:34 pm

As for your comments about being ripped off as DBZ fans, I think for many, many people its just a "we give up" thing. There was a time when many of us were quite ready to rip FUNimation a new one (myself included) but for many of us, its been over 10 years of being upset at north american DBZ product. With the DVD's being the closest to what we wanted and well...to put it bluntly, fighting and kicking and screaming for about a decade really wears you out. Maybe thats not noble or nice even, but it is part of being human. It just isn't healthy to stay that pissed off for that long of a period.
Unfortunately, I'm inclined to agree with this. At this point, it seems that Funimation just can't get DBZ right, and never will. Heck, maybe we all should get the sets before they make things even worse. :P At least there are alternatives out there. I'm not sure yet if I'll go with getting the expensive R2 singles(I say expensive because it's a lot of money to import 50+ DVDs), but unless Funimation makes a proper release of the series, that's how I'll be getting it.(though right now, I'm fairly content with my manga collection)

It's a shame really, how other shows of the same time period gets better DVD treatments. The DVDs for Ducktales, Thundercats or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles strikes me as the better deal overall, even though no efforts was put into remastering those shows(TMNT in particular suffers from dirt and video distortion) but at least they didn't do anything weird when transfering those shows to DVDs. Plus, they never claimed to make a $2 million remastering, so that heighten expectation isn't there.

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:01 pm

I too, almost feel like I've been bitching for so long that I just don't care anymore. If FUNi makes it absolutely official that this widescreen, DVNR'd shit is all they're gonna do and we just have to live with that, then fuck it. If they're not gonna give me what I want, then I'll just fucking give up on ever owning the show and never buy their shit again.

However, I'm gonna give it one last push. I'm gonna keep spreading the word, and protesting to them myself, and participating in petitions, letter campaigns and all that stuff. I really don't want to give up on owning the whole series in a comprehensive, uncompromised format, so I'm sticking with it. And I would ask everyone here who still gives a fuck to do the same.

Fawk, that was so melodramatic. :oops:
Last edited by FDLink on Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:53 pm

ect5150 wrote:

Because you are!

You're a pretentious cunt. It had to be said.

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:58 pm

Victator Supreme wrote:You're a pretentious cunt. It had to be said.
Translation: I have nothing to lend to this conversation, so I'm going to switch into "lol internet" mode.

Come on dude. PM that shit if you feel the need.

-Corey

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:30 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Victator Supreme wrote:You're a pretentious cunt. It had to be said.
Translation: I have nothing to lend to this conversation, so I'm going to switch into "lol internet" mode.

Come on dude. PM that shit if you feel the need.

-Corey
No he is a pretentious cunt, and somebody needed to say it.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:34 pm

That was really uncalled for, Victator. I've been on your side about the price/episode count being the main reason on intending to get each of these sets, but insulting someone like that basically over nothing was pretty low. So ect5150 agrees with Corey and chooses to get the R2 singles instead, insulting him like that makes you just as bad as that ETC123. There's a fine line between being an ignorant asshole and an ignorant piece of trash, the asshole can at least be mature.
14 years later

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:30 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Translation: I have nothing to lend to this conversation, so I'm going to switch into "lol internet" mode.
I'm in complete agreement on that assessment. Personally, the real "switch" that's going to occur will be me going into super-banning mode.

This is what happens when a thread goes for 70+ pages. I defy someone to find me another thread like this on an online message board that hasn't been reduced to such garbage. Part of the point of this forum was to try and create a place where that doesn't happen due to the rules and their enforcement, but if our social experiment proves anything, it's that this can never occur.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:39 pm

I think this topic needs to be locked. The last...10, maybe 20 pages have all been flaming and useless posts. There isn't much more that can be said about this set. If you don't like it, get the Dragon Box singles. If you can't afford the singles, then tough luck. This topic is not going to make FUNimation change its mind about these sets. So stop flaming and talking bull shit. Not just for me, but for everybody. :wink:

MajinVejitaXV

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:53 pm

fps_anth wrote:The last...10, maybe 20 pages have all been flaming and useless posts.
Jeez, thanks :P

-Corey

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:55 pm

If anything, there should be some kind of directory that shows where you can find what on this thread. Though I'm sure nobody has that kind of time.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

FDLink
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FDLink » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:15 pm

fps_anth wrote:I think this topic needs to be locked. The last...10, maybe 20 pages have all been flaming and useless posts.
I wouldn't say that. Most of those pages have been about making good points and putting FUNi-supporters in their place. :wink:

Oh, and I just checked back over at AoD's Season One forum . . . yeah, they locked it. Just because somebody made some harmless quip about sending FUNi bomb threats, the site's uptight-administrator goes all like:
Chris Beveridge wrote: Ok folks, this is the equivelant of invoking nazi's in a thread. Game over.
Seriously. Lighten the fuck up, dude. Now where are we supposed to bash the set where a FUNi rep closely monitors?

Post by 707 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:31 pm

I'm amazed at how some people just don't get it.

Me, I get it. I see where the anger is coming from. I see why some people want to rally for a better product. I can also see why some people are just fine with what they got. I know that the R2 DVDs are available to me if I want, and can afford them. I've seen the show a hundred times over, so I don't mind owning a cheap alternative for now. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a better version, or Funimation will release fullscreen discs, but for now... this is really is just fine. And that should be all right with the people slinging venom on this board. But it isn't. It becomes a point of contention, and it seems to get people like FDlink and that other guy really angry. I don't think many people are "Funi-Supporters." And I don't think that a lot of them have been "put in their place." Its really petty to want to put someone in their place over an opinion that they have, no matter how much you disagree with it.

They're just DVDs. To some people, they're JUST FINE. To me, they're JUST FINE. Ideally, I'd like a full screen set at the same price. Even a little pricier would be all right. But I'm not outraged enough to sound the battle horns. Maybe I've gotten used to it, or maybe I just don't care. If the set were as expensive as some other DVD sets, then yes... I would be annoyed. And I wouldn't give them my money.

Also, this isn't directed at MajinVejitaXV. I think you're civil and well informed. Just some other people who are taking it too far.