Can our next arc villian be a woman?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Re: Can our next arc villian be a woman?

Post by Swifticuffs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:58 am

The people here are right about one thing, in the current times you cannot post anything remotely offensive. Even though the basis of comedy is formed on tasteless humor, in today's day and age you can't say a lick. Even on a dragonball website.

And for that, I won't even contest. Let me finish with this, which agrees with those who are trying to attack me for brushing this off since it's a small item. They're right. It's a forum where people are trying to be happy with each other, and not get into politics and offensive items. So small issue or not (which it is, I don't care what you say) it truly doesn't belong here.

That said, hilarious regardless.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:02 pm

Bullza wrote:Lol what are you on about? I posted one little harmless joke and a gif, that's it, big deal. I followed it up several posts later with a serious post on the topic at hand. Why am I being threatened with losing all access to the ENTIRE website because I made ONE joke in the last several thousand posts that I made? Jesus Christ...

The show itself has this

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
And they're more offensive than the joke I told :lol: . Good god, everyone just relax, I'm sorry, I'll never make another joke again for as long as live.
Don't play the victim. This isn't about us overreacting to a joke being made. It's about the specific joke you chose to make and how this forum isn't the appropriate place for it. The community guidelines we're entrusted to enforce haven't changed and neither has the staff's expectation that member's follow them, at all times, for the sake of providing a safe, friendly and non-toxic community for an international member base to interact.

None of us fans have control over what content was introduced in the series, which is largely a product of a different time and culture, but we do have control over the content of our posts. Have the common courtesy to show respect for the fans you're conversing with and, as Ajay said, embrace the tone of the series' with that 'happy shonen spirit' for your discussions. That goes for everyone, and it's not that hard guys.

So, if you expect to retain access to everything Kanzenshuu has to offer, take the crass racist/sexist/whatever jokes somewhere else, if you must. Regardless of personal tastes, they're not welcome here.

Now, everyone, back to the topic at hand before account strikes need to be issued.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:10 pm

On topic, I wonder when we'll see more of Vados, and where she and Whis stand in scale to the Priest and the other "4" who are the strongest in existence. Has me curious if this whole arc ends with the King of All being called by that button to wipe 'em out.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:11 pm

I'll take a female fighter however the series wants to deliver one. Super's been batting about zero on any kind of feminist front. It's not even up to Toriyama's usual standards.

EDIT -- It's not as bad as it could be. Bulma, Vados, Mai and Pan do imply that strength and smarts aren't gender-aligned in the series, but I still can't believe the entire Universe 6 tournament was a sausage fest, and #18 and Videl's usage has been abysmal. A female fighter good enough to show off with the other super-powered characters would go a long way. (And who will lift a finger, unlike Vados.)
Last edited by Cipher on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:18 pm

Cipher wrote:I'll take a female fighter however the series wants to deliver one. Super's been batting about zero on any kind of feminist front. It's not even up to Toriyama's usual standards.
Well we have Pan. She is clearly OP already, think she may even be above Gohan. If Super goes on for another 300+ episodes we may see some development there. Plus we have Bulma and Mai doing useful things, plus the introduction of Vados, so I wouldn't say zero.

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Cipher wrote:I'll take a female fighter however the series wants to deliver one. Super's been batting about zero on any kind of feminist front. It's not even up to Toriyama's usual standards.
Well we have Pan. She is clearly OP already, think she may even be above Gohan. If Super goes on for another 300+ episodes we may see some development there. Plus we have Bulma and Mai doing useful things, plus the introduction of Vados, so I wouldn't say zero.
Involvement of female characters doesn't mean feminist ideologies. Chichi was a talented fighter in dragonball. Bulma has tamed Vegeta and puts him in his place 24/7 in comedic marital standard. Don't need feminism to have a good anime. And Japan isn't the type of country to force that stuff down the throats of anime watchers. And let's be thankful for such.

I believe we'll see some female Gods and more of Vados as well. And that's fine by me. Heck they can involve 20 female enemies with SSGSS powers, doesn't bug me. Just don't do it for the sake of radicalization. Go with the creative juices flow and make it interesting and feel natural. Don't force it.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:28 pm

Swifticuffs wrote:I believe we'll see some female Gods and more of Vados as well. And that's fine by me. Heck they can involve 20 female enemies with SSGSS powers, doesn't bug me. Just don't do it for the sake of radicalization. Go with the creative juices flow and make it interesting and feel natural. Don't force it.
I'd never ask or expect Toriyama to make a political statement. His work just tends to feature strong female characters, which is why Super's been a bit disappointing.

I suppose I probably wouldn't notice it if characters like #18 and Videl, who kept their personalities through the end of the manga, weren't written so blandly in Super. In which case Vados, Mai, etc. would be welcome additions rather than feeling like they don't fully replace the kinds of the things the series was doing before.

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:35 pm

Cipher wrote:
Swifticuffs wrote:I believe we'll see some female Gods and more of Vados as well. And that's fine by me. Heck they can involve 20 female enemies with SSGSS powers, doesn't bug me. Just don't do it for the sake of radicalization. Go with the creative juices flow and make it interesting and feel natural. Don't force it.
I'd never ask or expect Toriyama to make a political statement. His work just tends to feature strong female characters, which is why Super's been a bit disappointing.

I suppose I probably wouldn't notice it if characters like #18 and Videl, who kept their personalities through the end of the manga, weren't written so blandly in Super. In which case Vados, Mai, etc. would be welcome additions rather than feeling like they don't fully replace the kinds of the things the series was doing before.
Honestly that's a great point. If anything DBS portrays females as having very submissive, yet intelligent roles. I'm not on board the modern day western feminist agenda, but DBS has been way too 1950s with female characters. I'll agree there. Z has it pretty good and interesting.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:50 pm

Don't play the victim. This isn't about us overreacting to a joke being made.
I'm not playing anything, I made a knowingly sexist, albeit light and cliché joke and I'm confused as to why I'm getting this

otherwise you'll likely find yourself without access to the site.

If I've made over 4,200 posts and over 99% of them are serious, then why I am being told I could lose access to the site over one joke? I didn't go on no hate filled rant, there were no continuous back to back jokes about it, it was no worse than some of the comments people made about Super Saiyan Pink. I made one joke and then later on I made a serious response to the thread saying there could be a female villain.

That was it. Why are people still going on about it? Let it go, it wasn't supposed to be a big deal.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:08 pm

This sub-conversation is over. Everything that needs to be said on either "side" has been said.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Viewtiful Jess
Beyond Newbie

Post by Viewtiful Jess » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:36 pm

I think earlier in this topic that Goku Black has the possibility of being? I think I read that right correct me if I'm wrong. If so and that becomes a big reveal, I'd be ecstatic about it! Taking the image of the MAIN CHARACTER and making it stronger as a woman? That's dope.
  • ✪ 2008 - Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
    ✪ 2009 - Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
    ✪ 2010 - Dragon Ball Online / Dragon Ball Heroes
    ✪ 2011 - Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock
    ✪ 2015 - Dragon Ball: Xenoverse / Dragon Ball Super
    ✪ 2016 - Dragon Ball: Fusions
Dragon Ball AF is REAL

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Viewtiful Jess wrote:I think earlier in this topic that Goku Black has the possibility of being? I think I read that right correct me if I'm wrong. If so and that becomes a big reveal, I'd be ecstatic about it! Taking the image of the MAIN CHARACTER and making it stronger as a woman? That's dope.
Eh, I don't look at Goku Black and think female. So this one I do not agree with. If from the get go it was a female version of Goku, then I'd be cool with it. But I'm not for androgynous sexual orientation. I prefer not to be confused.

If it's a Super Dragon Ball clone of Goku, I think we can totally rule this out.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:05 pm

There's a female saiyan in Dragon Ball Fusions with Gokû hair, so it's not impossible. If video games count it means saiyan hair styles aren't specific to a sex.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Shin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shin » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:08 pm

Chuquita wrote:There's a female saiyan in Dragon Ball Fusions with Gokû hair, so it's not impossible. If video games count it means saiyan hair styles aren't specific to a sex.
What Black should've been!
Dragon Ball /Z/GT/Super is a children's show and there's nothing wrong with that.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:24 pm

Viewtiful Jess wrote:I think earlier in this topic that Goku Black has the possibility of being? I think I read that right correct me if I'm wrong. If so and that becomes a big reveal, I'd be ecstatic about it! Taking the image of the MAIN CHARACTER and making it stronger as a woman? That's dope.
Yeah, that was me. Black being a female would certainly be a major twist and based on some of his postures and attitude, I can see how it can work.

EDIT: I can see his true form being something like Towa, and also personality wise.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Viewtiful Jess
Beyond Newbie

Post by Viewtiful Jess » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:47 pm

ryou766 wrote: I can see his true form being something like Towa, and also personality wise.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
If so, I hope she just keeps the gi... I love Towa but the underboob design is dumb.
  • ✪ 2008 - Dragon Ball: Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return!!
    ✪ 2009 - Dragon Ball: Raging Blast
    ✪ 2010 - Dragon Ball Online / Dragon Ball Heroes
    ✪ 2011 - Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock
    ✪ 2015 - Dragon Ball: Xenoverse / Dragon Ball Super
    ✪ 2016 - Dragon Ball: Fusions
Dragon Ball AF is REAL

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:57 pm

I doubt she would keep Black's gi if she were to leave the body. But that's just my guess.

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by nite_jay » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:05 pm

Shin wrote:
Chuquita wrote:There's a female saiyan in Dragon Ball Fusions with Gokû hair, so it's not impossible. If video games count it means saiyan hair styles aren't specific to a sex.
What Black should've been!
If they were to just genderbend Goku that'd be pointless, mostly because things look to be playing out to where Zamasu just clones Goku with the Super DBs. Although, if it happens to be Zamasu just trying to create his own version of Goku or something through his own means then I think a female version would've been a nice twist.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:23 pm

ryou766 wrote:Black being a female would certainly be a major twist and based on some of his postures and attitude, I can see how it can work.
Black is secretly a Goku fangirl who fell in love with him after he saved the earth!

By the way, I love that avatar on you. It fits you very well.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:44 pm

"Utsukushii" isn't typically used to refer to men, is it? Isn't Gokû Black calling himself that kind of similar to if he were calling himself beautiful/lovely/pretty/gorgeous?
Last edited by Chuquita on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!