FUNi cast who'd be a better Goku than Schemmel?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: FUNi cast who'd be a better Goku than Schemmel?

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:48 pm

ABED wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:Jason Bateman, Jason Statham, Vince Vaughn and more actors all play the same roles which aren't beneficial because if they step out of their comfort zone they show how incompetent they are towards their job and that isn't productive to them, to us or to those who hired them.

Clinkenbeard is worst because she's a voice actress than an actress so she's even more limited than them.
Your phrasing is a tad weird, but they are beneficial because they have enough range to play a certain type of character and play slightly different shades of it. They (You picked quite the list as Vaughn and Bateman are infinitely better than Statham could ever be) may or may not be capable of going outside their comfort zone, but if they aren't, then there are still plenty of roles that only require a range they are good at as evidenced by their success. Woody Allen has had a very successful career playing the same character.

I don't agree with your assessment of Clinkenbeard at all. She has a lot of range and she's an excellent actress on top of that.
Also since kai's a foreigner, he might not be familiar with her other roles or watch anime in English aside from DB. Voice doesn't limit as you can play beyond your limits. Mr. Sabat has played black guys and Japanese men after all. And regarding Jason Bateman, watch "The Hogan Family" from when he was in his teens/early 20s.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Maybe Peter Kelamis, but not really Stephanie Nadolny. Ironically your description is a lot closer to Colleen Clinkenbeard: Stephanie Nadolny's performance is more subtle. For a better idea of what I'm talking about, have you heard Spongebob's voice in pre-movie episodes and the modern episodes? Or Timmy Turner's in the early seasons and now? The early performances are subtle, while the current ones are loud and obnoxious. The same can be said in regards to the two actresses.
I apologize for the fact that, this is likely going to come off as condescending. But I wholeheartedly believe that you're confusing poor/wooden acting for subtlety in the face of Colleen's more expressive performance. I've studied acting, taken classes, and bave been working on my own performance since I was *14*. I have also had the pleasure of rewatching the entire series, as well as the movies, with their Texas dub. From that perspective, anyway, I can wholeheartedly tell you that her performance, as both Gohan AND Goku, are actually pretty unnatural, wooden, and, in a lot of cases, bad. I'm not saying you're wrong for enjoying her performances, but Colleen is definitely the better actress in both roles.

But I do agree with you that the voice comes off as generic. And, in this regard, it does not work 100%. Gohan and Goku, as said before, are very unique. I think Colleen was much more suited for Gohan, but again, I really wish we could have heard Brina Palencia or Lucy Christian give it a try.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:17 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Also since kai's a foreigner, he might not be familiar with her other roles or watch anime in English aside from DB. Voice doesn't limit as you can play beyond your limits. Mr. Sabat has played black guys and Japanese men after all. And regarding Jason Bateman, watch "The Hogan Family" from when he was in his teens/early 20s.
Huh, I guess you're not aware that most of the members are "foreigners" according to you because they aren't from US. Seriously calling me "foreigner" in a community that's predominantly mixed with people from all over the world is rather very disrespectful to say the least.

I included Jason Bateman because while I'm a long time fan of Arrested Development the guy's just keeps on using his Michael character for different projects, like for example, a couple days ago I rewatched Fast Track (2006) and guess what, he's the same as in AD, plus I was told Bateman was at it again on Hancock and turns out it was true. While I really like Jason Bateman for his Michael character he's clearly unable to play a different role.

There's also Seth Rogen who plays it safe but I digress, I love watching films with him even if they're similar to his previous works 'cause he's just so much fun to watch.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:28 pm

I meant no disrespect and apologize.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:37 pm

But I wholeheartedly believe that you're confusing poor/wooden acting for subtlety in the face of Colleen's more expressive performance. I've studied acting, taken classes, and bave been working on my own performance since I was *14*. I have also had the pleasure of rewatching the entire series, as well as the movies, with their Texas dub. From that perspective, anyway, I can wholeheartedly tell you that her performance, as both Gohan AND Goku, are actually pretty unnatural, wooden, and, in a lot of cases, bad. I'm not saying you're wrong for enjoying her performances, but Colleen is definitely the better actress in both roles.
Stephanie Nadolny was plenty expressive as those two characters. I haven't studied acting or taken classes, so I can't say anything about that, but anyone can say they did so and so, and it doesn't make you any more qualified to judge than anyone else, either. You talk about Stephanie Nadolny when her "successor" isn't that great either. Her voice doesn't fit the characters age-wise, and her screams...
Last edited by gohann on Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:11 pm

There's also Seth Rogen who plays it safe but I digress, I love watching films with him even if they're similar to his previous works 'cause he's just so much fun to watch.
There are plenty of roles that call for a Michael Bluth type, which the actor is perfect for. That's all that matters. Rogen is also a great example. He has limited range, but what he does, he does well. If you need a stoner with a heart of gold, he's your guy. It doesn't matter if the guy can't play Hamlet, since the role he's playing is a stoner with a heart of gold. He's believable. Even if Schemmel or Colleen were only capable of their respective DB roles, why does it matter if you're a DB fan?
Her voice doesn't fit the characters age-wise
Neither does Nadolny. Women playing young boys is just a convention you have to accept.
Maybe Peter Kelamis, but not really Stephanie Nadolny. Ironically your description is a lot closer to Colleen Clinkenbeard: Stephanie Nadolny's performance is more subtle. For a better idea of what I'm talking about, have you heard Spongebob's voice in pre-movie episodes and the modern episodes? Or Timmy Turner's in the early seasons and now? The early performances are subtle, while the current ones are loud and obnoxious. The same can be said in regards to the two actresses.
There's nothing subtle about Nadolny. Her performance as Goku screams, "I'm a wild, dumb, jungle boy!" with flashing neon lights, while standing on stilts. And no, I've never watched SpongeBob. I really wish I could hear things as you hear them because I can't understand your perspective at all.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:17 pm

ABED wrote: Neither does Nadolny. Women playing young boys is just a convention you have to accept.
Women will never sound exactly like little boys, but they can at least sound believable.
There's nothing subtle about Nadolny. Her performance as Goku screams, "I'm a wild, dumb, jungle boy!" with flashing neon lights, while standing on stilts. And no, I've never watched SpongeBob. I really wish I could hear things as you hear them because I can't understand your perspective at all.
What I mean is that when it comes to Colleen Clinkenbeard, what you hear is what you get. There are really no other layers or any depth to her performance.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Women will never sound exactly like little boys, but they can at least sound believable.
An adjective which doesn't apply to Nadolny or Kelamis as Son Goku.
What I mean is that when it comes to Colleen Clinkenbeard, what you hear is what you get. There are really no other layers or any depth to her performance.
The same could be said of Nadolny, but I don't agree regarding Clinkenbeard. She's a very talented actress, plus Goku isn't exactly subtle. Back to Schemmel, I'm sure there are actors who could play Goku better, but he's a good actor, gets the character, is passionate, so I'd rather not ask "what if?"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: FUNi cast who'd be a better a better Goku than Schemmel?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:10 pm

LordCrumb wrote:I wouldn't want to hear anyone but Schemmel play Goku in an English version. He's like Nozawa.. just completely associated with the character.

As for "stay true to authentic material", it's not up to the voice actor, it's who ever is in charge of the production.

You're probably right too, why swap someone who's been doing it successfully for so many years. He's like Michael Cole in the WWE... been doing it for over 15 years yet people still hate on him. :roll:
Nope, Masako X from TFS sounds way better than schemmel and captures Goku's dumb and Naive nature pretty well without making him sound overly manly and deep like schemmel but schemmel voice acting improved a lot in kai but if Funimation hired Masako X for Goku and voice Yamcha by Schemmel it will be much more fitting and accurate English cast
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:13 pm

Again, you're responding to multiple-year-old threads. Many of these people are no longer looking for these responses or contributing. Please find more recent currently-active discussions to leave these opinions in.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:10 am

Sean is and will forever be the voice of Goku to me. If they had to replace him, I'm sure they'll be riots lmao.