The Legalities of MaSTAR Media. Plagiarism?

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nite_jay
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: The Legalities of MaSTAR Media. Plagiarism?

Post by nite_jay » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:55 pm

The stuff this guy does bugs me. Him tracing and then passing it off as yours already isn't ok, but I also think too much attention has gone to his head. This guy gets millions of views for not doing anything but using the magic wand tool in photoshop; yet he still claims as if he makes it all himself.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:40 pm

Brian4205 wrote:Except that nobody here is actually doing anything except complaining among other fans. Youtube has a report system. If your so offended by his plagiarism than you could have reported him without ever coming here to start this thread. This is just creating a mob mentality and getting everyone all fired up and arguing over someone who really doesn't deserve it. Goku vs OPM is more than likely the only thing he will produce that will ever be popular. I don't see him continuing to make popular videos (I was trying so hard to avoid bashing the guy).

You're absolutely right though, I was pretty busy with other thing during that entire clickbaiter war thing so I really didn't learn about it until recently, and that's why I am posting to see if we can all calm down. Things got shitty and people I respected said some dumb shit. Instead of pointing the finger and using it as an excuse to wallow in fan rage, lets bury the hatchet, please.

I was pointing fingers, but I was trying to point out some hypocrisy actually. The war on clickbaiters was just one example, I've seen multiple examples of this "community" insulting people. There are people like, Super Jayain. Who called a few popular DBZ youtube channels (including expergamez). "F*cking retarded Morons" because their dragon ball knowledge wasn't as good as his. Then goes on to call people "uncultured, ignorant, retarded mongrels" if they haven't watched the show in Japanese or think the English dub is better.

Yet I make a thread saying, "is this legal?" and "this guy is kind of a narcissist when it comes to his youtube" then I said something like "it doesn't matter if someone is a piece of garbage in real life, I only care about the honesty of their content", and that got me a lot of flack too for some reason. Yet all these youtubers can go on rants about how someone hasn't watched a cartoon enough times, or they don't want to watch it in a certain language therefore they are ignorant, xenophobe, uncultured.

I thought it hypocritical that I can make an innocuous thread, questioning the legalities of one person and I'm starting a mob, yet they can rally wars against a handful of youtubers, for either having clickbait titles or not knowing enough about ONE graphic novel/cartoon.
:clap:

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:25 pm

Damn, i don't know what to say, i've been enjoying his work but because when i watched i was like, lol, this scene is a copy of this frame of this series.
I mean, i only watched the fights, and i never paid attention to anything else, i thought he did that for fun you know, so i didn't take him seriously, in fact when he talked about that new series i thought: "so we'll finally see original animation, sounds fine".

But if it's true that this is just a scam. ........
God damn it now i feel bad for enjoying the vídeos.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:00 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:Damn, i don't know what to say, i've been enjoying his work but because when i watched i was like, lol, this scene is a copy of this frame of this series.
I mean, i only watched the fights, and i never paid attention to anything else, i thought he did that for fun you know, so i didn't take him seriously, in fact when he talked about that new series i thought: "so we'll finally see original animation, sounds fine".

But if it's true that this is just a scam. ........
God damn it now i feel bad for enjoying the vídeos.
By all means, enjoy what you want without feeling bad about anything! Hell, I could be wrong and he actually is serious in going places, but it's his obvious lack of talent that sets of the alarm of it being a scam. He's not the first youtuber to do such a thing and not even the first who has an immensely popular series. James Rolfe comes to mind. I am 100% convinced based on what the facts are that all his is a hoax to make a quick buck, but I could also be way off the mark and coming to the wrong conclusion. However, the extremely high possibility of this being a misleading proposition has to be said in case people who are willing to give their money don't know this stuff, which might make them not support it and save a bad investment.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Brian4205
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brian4205 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:34 am

I understand your frustration Yomi, that's why I commented. I was a little half cocked on my first comment, but my only intention has been to try and smooth things out. Like I said, a lot of people I've respected, have said and done a lot of dumb shit. But that's just the thing, isn't it, we're all just people, passionate about a franchise that has impacted us in our life. That's why we've all gathered here, it's why some of us make video's talking about it, and it's why some of those people get upset to the point of attacking another persons character over spreading false information around, whether it was knowingly or unknowingly. It's because they are passionate about protecting other people in the fan base.

Yes, it is excessive, and I'm not trying to defend those actions, like I said, I missed a lot of that original drama. I just want to do what I can to calm the situation. I'm a fan of Geekdom, and I love coming to these forums to read through the discussions. I've learned so much about the franchise from both, and I don't want to see everyone at odds with each other.

If we were all at a bar, this would be the moment I bought us all a round.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:40 pm

Yomi wrote: I was pointing fingers, but I was trying to point out some hypocrisy actually. The war on clickbaiters was just one example, I've seen multiple examples of this "community" insulting people. There are people like, Super Jayain. Who called a few popular DBZ youtube channels (including expergamez). "F*cking retarded Morons" because their dragon ball knowledge wasn't as good as his. Then goes on to call people "uncultured, ignorant, retarded mongrels" if they haven't watched the show in Japanese or think the English dub is better.

Yet I make a thread saying, "is this legal?" and "this guy is kind of a narcissist when it comes to his youtube" then I said something like "it doesn't matter if someone is a piece of garbage in real life, I only care about the honesty of their content", and that got me a lot of flack too for some reason. Yet all these youtubers can go on rants about how someone hasn't watched a cartoon enough times, or they don't want to watch it in a certain language therefore they are ignorant, xenophobe, uncultured.

I thought it hypocritical that I can make an innocuous thread, questioning the legalities of one person and I'm starting a mob, yet they can rally wars against a handful of youtubers, for either having clickbait titles or not knowing enough about ONE graphic novel/cartoon.
A lot of people misunderstood Jay's point. Yes he was very very aggressive and I'm not sure if i agreed with that method, but he was not attacking ALL dub fans, he was just going at people who claim to be true fans of the series but have only seen DBZ in English and attack him for liking another version. From when I spoke to him, I knew the video would give him flack and it did, but he didn't care. It was a build up of rude people commenting that drove him up a wall.

There's also another story that people don't know about what went on there which I'm not speaking of publicly.
Last edited by Geekdom101 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Yomi wrote:
Brian4205 wrote:
Please, please, for all of our best interests, lets just calm down and try to be civil. Instead of talking shit on this guy, maybe we should offer him support, and try to help each other improve.

Who knows, maybe you guys will get along.
:problem: Community aye? I never viewed it that way. I don't think he deserves support just for being a creator on youtube.
It's like when all those DBZ youtubers were calling out the "click-baiters" (not illegal), getting all angry and cursing at their mics about it.
I can tell you allllllllllllllllllll about that story cause I was in the middle of it trying to keep the peace (as I tend to do more than anybody could ever imagine).

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:55 pm

When I came home, I saw someone replied to a disqus comment I made a while ago, with this.
I thought it was pretty funny. Is there a landscape artist? Who knows. Probably not.
[spoiler]Image
Is actually some really old art that wallpaper websites now carry.[/spoiler]
Could have just easily said "No, using some stuff I saw on the inter-webs, could still use your support"

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Yomi wrote:When I came home, I saw someone replied to a disqus comment I made a while ago, with this.
I thought it was pretty funny. Is there a landscape artist? Who knows. Probably not.
[spoiler]Image
Is actually some really old art that wallpaper websites now carry.[/spoiler]
Could have just easily said "No, using some stuff I saw on the inter-webs, could still use your support"
Wow, so wait, the bottom one is from anime or what?

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:48 am

Geekdom101 wrote: Wow, so wait, the bottom one is from anime or what?
Ya know, I haven't checked yet. Let me reverse image search...., found it on an image board.
Apparently the original artist is someone named Yumeno Mikan. A Japanese artist on the interwebs.

Just search "Yumeno Mikan City" into google or bing. It was posted on that particular board more than 5 years ago
but it's probably way older than that, old landscape art always ends up on "anime wallpaper" websites.
I saw in an old youtube video too. Speaking of which, look who's in a recommended video.

That thumbnail looks familiar. Looks like Shida.
Let me just do a quick search of "Naotoshi Shida SSJ3" into bing.
[spoiler]ImageImage
Dang, look at that bomb ass watermark.[/spoiler]

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:10 am

Thanks for showing me this.

This combined with a few questionable videos that have semi-baity thumbnails and quite bluntly put, crap topics - I think I may keep my distance from this guy. Plus, I like to do Dragon Ball discussions and when he does them, he comes off like a deer in headlights and it makes things awkward for collaborations. He's always come off nice and cool in conversation but I have a code of ethics and lying to people to get 100 bucks does not follow that code.

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm not sure about whether it'd considered plagiarism, but either way there's something ethically wrong with what he's doing.

Does it take time and effort to do what he does? Absolutely. Should he pass it off as his own work? Probably not. Most of his work was originally done by a studio which he doesn't even give credit to.

The main part of the series that you can give him credit for would be the "storyline". Let's be honest. I haven't watched the full series, but even I know it's not good at all. Parody or not, it's awful.

To top it all of he has strict "rules" about how ownership of the videos saying that other people can't re-upload it basically so that he can maximize his sketchy income.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:52 am

In his recent stream, he said he hated the fact that I get the news faster than anybody and that he's going to make a twitter to follow Herms to beat me to the news (even though he literally had no idea who Herms was a month ago), then he said he was trying to get a million subscribers any way possible and he was complaining nobody watched his "custom" animation that wasn't about Dragon Ball and pretty much admitted he was in it for the money and that all Dragon Ball fans are just dumb 12 year olds.

Yeah... not on my happy list.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:53 am

Not to mention he describes things as "gay" even though I warned him 2 months ago when we were on speaking terms not to do that.

ryou766
Advanced Regular

Post by ryou766 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:55 am

This dude's animations always had me and my friends dying - so terrible. Still laughing about "Berserker Mode" for Saitama.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:13 am

I'm legit ashamed of myself that I stuck my neck out for this guy in this thread and now I know how he really is.

Gerzo
Patreon Supporter

Post by Gerzo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:I'm legit ashamed of myself that I stuck my neck out for this guy in this thread and now I know how he really is.
You shouldn't feel ashamed at all, you were supporting him when there wasn't really any evidence of him doing wrong. When you saw sufficient evidence to show he wasn't a good guy you changed your view. You're a good guy.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Gerzo wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:I'm legit ashamed of myself that I stuck my neck out for this guy in this thread and now I know how he really is.
You shouldn't feel ashamed at all, you were supporting him when there wasn't really any evidence of him doing wrong. When you saw sufficient evidence to show he wasn't a good guy you changed your view. You're a good guy.
I've been trying to see the good in people. I try to. But I mean regardless of anything in his personal life, this guy has made it more than obvious he's greedy.

Gerzo
Patreon Supporter

Post by Gerzo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Geekdom101 wrote: I've been trying to see the good in people. I try to. But I mean regardless of anything in his personal life, this guy has made it more than obvious he's greedy.
I know man and we/your fans can see that, take it as a learning experience and put it behind you, just keep doing what you do best and be the cocky informative YouTuber we all know and love

MadSaiyantist
Beyond Newbie

Post by MadSaiyantist » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:21 pm

Didn't check this in a while. Looks like views on him changed recently. It's a shame that he said what he did