Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 76

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:37 pm

I'd just like to bring up that the calibration of people's monitors and TVs is likely affecting the show pretty heavily with the new filter.
In the opening on my computer monitor some of the characters with black hair in the opening have their hair bleed into the background a bit, but on my TV I can see their hair better.
In the actual episode the bloom and saturation on the characters on Beerus' and Kaioshin's planets is also less abrasive on my TV.
Seems like they didn't do what a lot of shows do where they test to make sure it looks fine on lots of different displays.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:03 pm

I wish they took inspiration from this video instead of those atrocious 90's Super :|
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:15 pm

What do you guys like more, with or without filter on this one?. I am just curious. For me I think the one without filter looks better here

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Didn't notice they changed the alien in the hood's design, I think he is the apprentice of God of Destruction of that universe,but really doesn't make any sense hidding it now after they have already showed him.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:31 pm

Alee9977 wrote:Didn't notice they changed the alien in the hood's design, I think he is the apprentice of God of Destruction of that universe,but really doesn't make any sense hidding it now after they have already showed him.
It's really strange that they buffed him up last second..
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dhaval_dongre
Beyond Newbie

Post by dhaval_dongre » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:26 am

Sodhi wrote:What do you guys like more, with or without filter on this one?. I am just curious. For me I think the one without filter looks better here
The one with the filter is undoubtedly better, for me.

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:21 am

Noah wrote:I wish they took inspiration from this video instead of those atrocious 90's Super :|
Looks a bit like. Yo! Son Goku & his friends return...
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 am

Sodhi wrote:What do you guys like more, with or without filter on this one?. I am just curious. For me I think the one without filter looks better here

I kinda like the top image more, but the very light white fog over so much of it makes me think I have cataracts. Or maybe that's how Super looks when watched on Silent Hill Tube.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:33 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hey guys I was going through episode #66 trying to capture all the good SSGSS shots of Vegetto to add my SSGSS album...(Yeah I am kind of obsessed with the form! Love it so much!) Anyway I came across this great hidden shot of Vegetto Anyone know who drew it?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Probably shimanuki, the shine on the face really looks like him

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:02 am

iAnimationLover_ wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Hey guys I was going through episode #66 trying to capture all the good SSGSS shots of Vegetto to add my SSGSS album...(Yeah I am kind of obsessed with the form! Love it so much!) Anyway I came across this great hidden shot of Vegetto Anyone know who drew it?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
There isn't a single Shimanuki trait in that entire image. It looks like an inbetween from someone like Higashide or Inaba.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:23 am

Ajay wrote:
iAnimationLover_ wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
There isn't a single Shimanuki trait in that entire image. It looks like an inbetween from someone like Higashide or Inaba.

I'm a bit tired so i didnt pay too much attention (Came from playing a soccer game :lol:) the shine on the face reminded me of him, but the nose and ear dont.

My bad :P

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:44 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I'd just like to bring up that the calibration of people's monitors and TVs is likely affecting the show pretty heavily with the new filter.
In the opening on my computer monitor some of the characters with black hair in the opening have their hair bleed into the background a bit, but on my TV I can see their hair better.
In the actual episode the bloom and saturation on the characters on Beerus' and Kaioshin's planets is also less abrasive on my TV.
Seems like they didn't do what a lot of shows do where they test to make sure it looks fine on lots of different displays.
Wow, you're right! :o
I just connected my laptop to my TV, and the difference is quite considerable! I changed my TV's settings a few months ago to get it to look as good as possible (turning off the standard filters in the TV, and changing some of the sharpness/contrast settings), and the new episode of Super looks quite good on it. Super's filter is still not perfect, but it's hardly noticeable in the scenes on earth now, and the scenes on Beerus and Kaioshin's planets look at least decent now.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:25 pm

DragonBallFan8001 wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:I'd just like to bring up that the calibration of people's monitors and TVs is likely affecting the show pretty heavily with the new filter.
I just connected my laptop to my TV, and the difference is quite considerable! I changed my TV's settings a few months ago to get it to look as good as possible (turning off the standard filters in the TV, and changing some of the sharpness/contrast settings), and the new episode of Super looks quite good on it. Super's filter is still not perfect, but it's hardly noticeable in the scenes on earth now, and the scenes on Beerus and Kaioshin's planets look at least decent now.
But the fact that you had to bother with that is stupid, because any worthwhile company should test their footage in different displays, like ArchedThunder said, before release it to the public. It's the same stuff with video games development.

Considering episode 77 leak image didn't have any filter, and the episode itself looks much better than it was in the NEP, this filter must have been a last minute decision they had.
But they can't expect people to change their display settings to watch these episodes.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Hey guys! I have a submissions that is probably off-topic but it has more visibility right here, if I'm right please moderators feel free to move my request

I'm hesitating about artist of the japanese covers of Dragon Ball Z 3 and the Tankôbon-like title menu of Dragon Ball Z (Budokaï in Occident)

If Dragon Ball Z 2 is definitely pure Nakatsuru, the two other has both Nakatsuru and Yamamuro traits, and we know that it's a time when both of them illustrated a lot of officials DB products so it's hard to tell who is who. Especially when someone tells me that Nakatsuru was much influenced by Yamamuro during this era, so what do you think guys?

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by samuo2 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:43 pm

samuo2 wrote:[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Hey! Both examples you've posted are by Yamamauro.

Deadtuber.

samuo2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by samuo2 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Ajay wrote:
Image[/spoiler]
Okay thanks for your answer! I'm sorry if I'm asking too much but can you please develop your ideas?
I found some traits that are very Nakatsuru like noses, Vegeta's shades, the color of the highlight, Vegeta's eyes, global proportions of all faces and so one
Even if I'm agree that there are Yamamuro traits too like Gokû's face, Gokû's shades, it's too brief to convince me
English isn't my native Language, please be understanding with faults and other grammatical mistakes, and don't hesitate to correct me !

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:10 pm

That Krillin and Gohan drawing look out of place... They're so bad.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:13 pm

samuo2 wrote:Okay thanks for your answer! I'm sorry if I'm asking too much but can you please develop your ideas?
I found some traits that are very Nakatsuru like noses, Vegeta's shades, the color of the highlight, Vegeta's eyes, global proportions of all faces and so one
Even if I'm agree that there are Yamamuro traits too like Gokû's face, Gokû's shades, it's too brief to convince me
Well, in the first image, the hair is typical of Yamamuro - it's very blocky, whereas Nakatsuru's is more flowing - compare it with the cover of Budokai 1 (Dragon Ball Z). The ear shapes in both images are as Yamamuro as you get, while Nakatsuru's ears are taller and much more in line with Toriyama's. Goku in the second image is 1:1 with just about every single Goku Yamamuro drew during this era (I'm working on a video on him right now, so I've done nothing but stare at this era for most of the week).

I don't really know what else to say. Those are Yamamuro. You stare at styles long enough and you kinda just know after a while - I sometimes struggle to put it into words. Sorry! Hope that helps, anyway.

Deadtuber.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:14 pm

For people that are new to analyzing about artists' certain styles, it can be a bit difficult, but once you figure out how to break apart the traits, it should be easier from here out.

Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Tadayoshi Yamamuro:

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Ajay wrote:
Image[/spoiler]
To be fair, the silhouette next to the Budokai logo is illustrated by Nakatsuru. :P
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

DragonBallFan8001
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallFan8001 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
DragonBallFan8001 wrote:
But the fact that you had to bother with that is stupid, because any worthwhile company should test their footage in different displays, like ArchedThunder said, before release it to the public. It's the same stuff with video games development.

Considering episode 77 leak image didn't have any filter, and the episode itself looks much better than it was in the NEP, this filter must have been a last minute decision they had.
But they can't expect people to change their display settings to watch these episodes.
Yeah, I agree that it's stupid that it doesn't look good on the standard settings of many displays. Since it looks like the filter was a last minute addition, there's a decent chance they're still tweaking it, luckily.

Another thing I noticed when rewatching the episode is that, like some others here mentioned, the sound effects are a lot nicer. Mutsuhiro Nishimura is still credited for the sound effects, so it seems like he made a bunch of awesome new sound effects!