General Fan Fiction Thread

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: General Fan Fiction Thread

Post by Doctor. » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 pm

Kanassa wrote:How do you guys prefer to go about scenes that have stuff that's only explained later, where it kind of looks like a glaring plot hole until a few chapters down the line give more of an explanation?
Leave hints that could be expanded upon.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:12 pm

How would you go about creating a hypothetical SSJ6?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:18 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:How would you go about creating a hypothetical SSJ6?
Don't name it Super Saiyan 6 for starters, because that just starts to get ridiculous. Make it a part of a different chain of transformations like Super did with the God forms.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Don't name it Super Saiyan 6 for starters, because that just starts to get ridiculous. Make it a part of a different chain of transformations like Super did with the God forms.
My intent isn't to keep things reasonable.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:39 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
My intent isn't to keep things reasonable.
5 is like 4 except golden and 6 gets the SS3 hair. Like this:

When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:59 pm

You're talking about how it'd work in the story, right? Not how it'd look? This isn't the thread for discussions on how things should look; that should go here.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Alruneia wrote:
You're talking about how it'd work in the story, right? Not how it'd look? This isn't the thread for discussions on how things should look; that should go here.
Things like how it's obtained, the power boost, effect on stamina etc.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:17 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Things like how it's obtained, the power boost, effect on stamina etc.
Right. If it's a successor to SSJ5, which in turn comes from GT's SSJ4, then it may be possible to use some sort of "We used even more Blutz Waves this time!" scenario, which is... a little boring.
It can also be a vanilla rage boost transformation. SSJ5 Goku sees Pan get killed, flips and goes SSJ6.
Another option is the "forced" transformation. It's the case for ASSJ/Grade 2 and USSJ/Grade 3, and I'm pretty sure it's also the case for SSJ3. Since I like to think of a hypothetical SSJ6 as a mix of SSJ4 and SSJ3, I think I'd go with that.

Forced transformations all share the problem of having drawbacks in exchange for strength. The grades sacrifice speed and SSJ3 burns stamina very quickly. SSJ6 could have the drawback that its power is something like SSJ5 x10 at first, but the multiplier continually drops and eventually becomes more of a divisor.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Alruneia wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Things like how it's obtained, the power boost, effect on stamina etc.
Right. If it's a successor to SSJ5, which in turn comes from GT's SSJ4, then it may be possible to use some sort of "We used even more Blutz Waves this time!" scenario, which is... a little boring.
It can also be a vanilla rage boost transformation. SSJ5 Goku sees Pan get killed, flips and goes SSJ6.
Another option is the "forced" transformation. It's the case for ASSJ/Grade 2 and USSJ/Grade 3, and I'm pretty sure it's also the case for SSJ3. Since I like to think of a hypothetical SSJ6 as a mix of SSJ4 and SSJ3, I think I'd go with that.

Forced transformations all share the problem of having drawbacks in exchange for strength. The grades sacrifice speed and SSJ3 burns stamina very quickly. SSJ6 could have the drawback that its power is something like SSJ5 x10 at first, but the multiplier continually drops and eventually becomes more of a divisor.
Maybe it can be said that certain moons have different effects on a saiyan's ape form or somthing.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:31 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:An next question, how do you usually handle a sad scene? Getting across the emotion and all?
I haven't written many so my experience is limited on this front. The few times I have, I've mostly focused on how the characters react to the sad event. Vegeta tries to mask his grief by lashing out, Dende just breaks down completely, Krillin tries to find some silver lining against all common sense, Goku's like an awkward little kid who doesn't really know how to handle what's happening,...

Writing people dealing with a sad event like death is hard for DB since a lot of the characters are either just pissed off for a while about it or don't acknowledge it much so its hard to realize a scenario where you've got to go past that.
I've been told one of my strengths is wringing emotion out of a scene.

My trick is to get visceral in your descriptions of emotions. Don't just say somebody got mad. Describe the knot in their stomach or their throat getting tight. Describe the sting of tears and the sounds they make when they cry.

If I'm writing a character witnessing another character's emotion, I use words to paint a picture of what they're seeing and hearing. I'm working on a Mirai timeline AU where Vegeta survived his encounter with the Androids, albeit with a disability (he's in a wheelchair). He sees ChiChi react to Gohan's death after the Androids killed him. ChiChi's reaction is gut-wrenching. I basically took an aspect of her character that the show made fun of and twisted it to not be a joke. Even stone cold Vegeta is affected by it.

[spoiler]Bulma held on to ChiChi's hand when she led her to the airplane. Once inside, ChiChi broke away and collapsed onto her knees next to the blanket covering Gohan's body. Tears welled in her eyes. She grasped the upper corner of the blanket, hesitated and looked up at Bulma like a deer in headlights.

"Is he...is he still in one piece?"

"Yes," Bulma replied, "We cleaned him up and bandaged his injuries before we brought him here."

"Thank you."

ChiChi moved the blanket off Gohan's pallid face. She reached for the other end to uncover the rest of him. Her expression morphed into a twisted, sad smile, like two emotions hit her at once.

"Mommy's here, Gohan..." She whispered, cupping the top of his head and taking hold of his hand. "It's all right now. Mommy's here."

Her lower lip quivered. Suddenly, she gathered him to her chest. Vegeta swore he heard the crack of her heart breaking right before heaving sobs wracked her body.

"They killed my baby!" ChiChi shrieked at the top of her lungs, "They killed my baby!"

Her words dissolved into helpless bawling. She buried her face in Gohan's shoulder and rocked back and forth, her knuckles white from holding him so tightly against herself.

Bulma bit her bottom lip and rubbed ChiChi's back. Trunks pressed the heels of his hands over his eyes. Vegeta kept his expression carefully composed.

He caused others this pain many, many times. Mayhem, killing and destruction were fun until the parents showed up. It was the same image no matter where he went. Something about the way they screamed while clutching their children's bodies sent shivers down his spine.

ChiChi choked and coughed on her tears. In her arms, a future cut painfully short.

Vegeta cast a brief glance at Trunks and the angry words his son said bubbled to the surface of his memory. He realized how easily Trunks might have died in Gohan's place. The thought unsettled him so much that he grabbed his wheels and rolled outside.

That will never be Trunks. Never.

Engine sounds automatically grabbed his attention. Ox King parked his hovercar by the Son house and carried two huge bags of groceries inside. The massive man had no clue that imminent sorrow awaited him.

Two yellow autumn leaves drifted into Vegeta's lap. The ground trembled slightly with Ox King's footsteps when he emerged into the sunlight again.

"Hey, Vegeta! Where's ChiChi?"

"Tch." Vegeta nodded vaguely towards the aircraft. He offered no warning about the carnage inside.

Less than a minute later, the quite atmosphere exploded into weeping again.

Bulma came outside, stopped next to Vegeta without a word and lit a cigarette. Smoking was a disgustingly pointless habit, yet he rarely railed on her about it because he understood why she did it.

She wordlessly offered him the pack. He took one, lit it with a ki spark and inhaled. Menthol coolness penetrated his lips as he drained the entire cigarette in a single breath. Thick smoke curled out of his nostrils upon exhaling. He tapped the remaining ash onto his palm and blew it away.

"That's just wrong," said Bulma.

Vegeta buried his cigarette butt in the dirt. "You're one to talk."

"Bite me." She flicked ash off her own cigarette. "I can't believe we lost Gohan." Her eyes hardened and her lips tightened when she took another puff. "I want to kill those fucking piece of shit Androids myself."

The pure venom in her voice sent almost delightful chills down Vegeta's spine, but he kept his mouth shut and controlled his response to a simple nod.

Killing the Androids wasn't about personal revenge anymore.[/spoiler]
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:51 pm

I guess this thread is indicated to ask this. Does anyone know where Kuririn currently lives? I'm going to use the untapped potential that is a noir policeman Kuririn story.
There's also no date for when he got the job, right? Everything after the Boo arc and before the BoG arc should be game.

I might even start with him getting the job.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:58 pm

LightBing wrote:I guess this thread is indicated to ask this. Does anyone know where Kuririn currently lives? I'm going to use the untapped potential that is a noir policeman Kuririn story.
Looking at a few pictures of Cop-Kuririn, his badge and uniform says "SCPD," and I'd assume that stands for "Satan City Police Department."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:51 pm

LightBing wrote: I'm going to use the untapped potential that is a noir policeman Kuririn story..
I wanted to tap that, but writing a good crime story is tricky business, especially if it's a "who dun it?" type thing :P
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:37 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
LightBing wrote: I'm going to use the untapped potential that is a noir policeman Kuririn story..
I wanted to tap that, but writing a good crime story is tricky business, especially if it's a "who dun it?" type thing :P
All you need to do is take Pheonix Wright, switch lawyer with action cop (I swear, Pheonix and Krillina re very simmilar in personality), and fuck the legal system more than Ace Attorney already does

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:38 pm

Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
All you need to do is take Pheonix Wright, switch lawyer with action cop (I swear, Pheonix and Krillina re very simmilar in personality), and fuck the legal system more than Ace Attorney already does
Never played a Phoenix Wright game :P

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Kaboom wrote:Looking at a few pictures of Cop-Kuririn, his badge and uniform says "SCPD," and I'd assume that stands for "Satan City Police Department."
Never noticed the detail, thank you!
ekrolo2 wrote:I wanted to tap that, but writing a good crime story is tricky business, especially if it's a "who dun it?" type thing
It certainly is tricky, a good idea can very easily turn into crap. I turned to Kuririn because it's the best way to address the "conspiracy". Which is how this whole thing come about. I won't say what it is, it's a huge spoiler.

I might take the chance to develop Kuririn choosing to become a coop. The fact the character is the most relatable in Dragon Ball helps a lot. Much easier and interesting than writing for one trick pony's Saiyans.

Can't wait to have him play straight-man to the most stereotypical detective you can think of. Cigars, fedora, the whole package.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: I wanted to tap that, but writing a good crime story is tricky business, especially if it's a "who dun it?" type thing :P
Never played a Phoenix Wright game :P
Then play one, they're good... Well, if you're not focused on how screwed up the laws are in that universe. Also, Ace Attorney is the one fandom I can honestly say isn't crazy.

Kanassa wrote:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:42 pm

LightBing wrote:
Can't wait to have him play straight-man to the most stereotypical detective you can think of. Cigars, fedora, the whole package.
Gotta have the Great Saiyaman in there :D

Kanassa wrote:

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:45 pm

LightBing wrote:It certainly is tricky, a good idea can very easily turn into crap. I turned to Kuririn because it's the best way to address the "conspiracy". Which is how this whole thing come about. I won't say what it is, it's a huge spoiler.

I might take the chance to develop Kuririn choosing to become a coop. The fact the character is the most relatable in Dragon Ball helps a lot. Much easier and interesting than writing for one trick pony's Saiyans.

As long as he becomes the Jim Gordon to Saiyaman, It'll be a win in my book.
Kanassa wrote:Then play one, they're good... Well, if you're not focused on how screwed up the laws are in that universe. Also, Ace Attorney is the one fandom I can honestly say isn't crazy.
A non-crazy fandom? Please, I'm too much of an old jaded prick (at the senior age of 21 :P) to believe such fairy tails!

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Kanassa wrote:
LightBing wrote:
Gotta have the Great Saiyaman in there :D
Yeah, I have to use him. I'm not sure if he will be there for comic relief or the unconscious hero. In the sense that a bunch of agency's hate him because he beats up undercover agents and just overall disrupts the fight against organized crime.
Might go for a balance, still not sure.