Most distressing thing in Dragonball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

keyz05
Beyond Newbie

Most distressing thing in Dragonball?

Post by keyz05 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:46 am

What is the most distressing thing in Dragonball to you and why? I think Zamasu attacking the world at the end of the Future Trunks arc was distressing and you know why...

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Most distressing thing in Dragonball?

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 am

GT
Dosen't need any explanation
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:07 pm

Are you looking for something in-universe or out of universe? I'm thinking that the most distressing thing is not knowing when to end.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:12 pm

I thought there was no way for Vegeta to come back from that one and it was driving me crazy to find out if he was going to make it.

Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Out of universe: I agree with ABED. Right now it's the question of whether the new material has any sort of endgame or payoff. "Distressing" is too dramatic a word, of course, but it's something in the back of my mind as I'm following it.

In-universe: Maybe it's worth pointing out that Vegeta is living a contented life on Earth, where his partner Nappa murdered a city's worth of people who as far as I know are never revived? Or that Goku and co. choose not to pre-empt Dr. Gero and never revive the island's worth of people he and #19 kill? Our heroes.

Resurrection "F"'s version of Hell is also pretty horrific when you consider it beyond the surface-level comedy.

And yeah, horrible-nightmare-sky-form Zamasu is a straight-up Junji Ito horror moment, and it's quite effective.
Last edited by Cipher on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bianju

Post by Bianju » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:17 pm

The entire Videl vs. Spopovich episode. And the Kuririn stabbing episode.

The two episodes I'm most likely to skip in any given viewing. The former is just horrifyingly uncomfortable, and the latter was enough to make me nearly vomit at a couple points.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Cipher wrote:Out of universe: I agree with ABED. Right now it's the question of whether the new material has any sort of endgame or payoff. "Distressing" is too dramatic a word, of course, but it's something in the back of my mind as I'm following it.

In-universe: Maybe it's worth pointing out that Vegeta is living a contented life on Earth, where his partner Nappa murdered a city's worth of people who as far as I know are never revived? Or that Goku and co. choose not to pre-empt Dr. Gero and never revive the island's worth of people he and #19 kill? Our heroes.

Resurrection "F"'s version of Hell is also pretty horrific when you consider it beyond the surface-level comedy.
Man, it sure would suck to be deemed too unimportant for the heroes to bother reviving you.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:31 pm

keyz05 wrote:What is the most distressing thing in Dragonball to you and why? I think Zamasu attacking the world at the end of the Future Trunks arc was distressing and you know why...
Were you asking about "Distressing" in a personal level outside the story or as to events as I posted?
-----
-----

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:35 pm

The fact that all the beings with actual power are either lazy pricks who do nothing with it, amoral psychopaths or gleeful sadists and battle junkies who'll gladly risk millions of lives for their own amusement.

And of course, the one timeline with an actual responsible person with power (Future Trunks) is the one to get fucked the hardest regardless if you count Super into the equation.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:29 pm

I'd say the old couple getting shot in the Buu arc.

Upa's father getting killed.

I know there are worse things that happened but the characters envolved knew what what they were getting into while these 2 cases were innocent people just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:32 pm

Oh...Can't believe I forgot this one

-----
-----

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:37 pm

ABED wrote:I'm thinking that the most distressing thing is not knowing when to end.
It's not going to end. Toriyama won't write it forever but the franchise is too big to end with him now. Based on how financially successful it is, I'd bet it's going to go on like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon.
Cipher wrote:Now it's the question of whether the new material has any sort of endgame or payoff.
At this point I think it's safe to say it'll go on indefinitely. weather that's good or bad depends on how they handle it moving forward.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:40 pm

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:I'm thinking that the most distressing thing is not knowing when to end.
It's not going to end. Toriyama won't write it forever but the franchise is too big to end with him now. Based on how financially successful it is, I'd bet it's going to go on like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon.
Cipher wrote:Now it's the question of whether the new material has any sort of endgame or payoff.
At this point I think it's safe to say it'll go on indefinitely. weather that's good or bad depends on how they handle it moving forward.
The show already had an end in the 90's.
-----
-----

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Imperfect Cell blasting through Piccolo's stomach had me yelling at my TV set. I thought he was a goner there.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 pm

successoroffate wrote:The show already had an end in the 90's.
Exactly. The original story's 10 arcs will always be there as one completed story. If we get something else and it's good then great, more content to enjoy. if it's bad then oh well, it has no affect on the original story so there's nothing lost.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:59 pm

sintzu wrote:
successoroffate wrote:The show already had an end in the 90's.
Exactly. The original story's 10 arcs will always be there as one completed story. If we get something else and it's good then great, more content to enjoy. if it's bad then oh well, it has no affect on the original story so there's nothing lost.
I agree. Whoever doesn't enjoy the new stuff can just ignore it and enjoy the old stuff.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:10 pm

The fact that the afterlife can be physically destroyed. The revelation would frighten the shit out of anyone.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:15 pm

Frieza killing Dende.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The fact that the afterlife can be physically destroyed. The revelation would frighten the shit out of anyone.
The DBverse truly is a shitty place to live in no matter where you are
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 pm

The idea that some people have died, been revived and hold no knowledge of their death. Something creeps me out about that.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017