So did FUNI ruin Bra's name as Bulla forever?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

So did FUNI ruin Bra's name as Bulla forever?

Post by precita » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:34 pm

As people have noticed watching the Crunchyroll subs for this weeks episode, when Bra was born the english subs had her named Bulla. And these are official subs in the year 2017.

I really don't understand this. While I don't care if the dub still calls her Bulla, why is the official subs still using that name? They use Mr. Satan in the subs, so why isn't it Bra? I don't even know where Bulla came from, sounds like a weird fusion of Bulma's name and how Bra is pronounced in Japan.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: So did FUNI ruin Bra's name as Bulla forever?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:37 pm

Official only in terms of simulcast, FUNi will have Simmons do his own when the BDs roll out, literally nothing to worry about.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:39 pm

The Toeilations use dub terminology for all pre-existing content, with only a few exceptions/anomalies (King Fai Fist and Demon Flash, for example).

As far as I understand it, Mr Satan has been used in the dub for a long while now, and has carried over into Super, too. Only video games and censored content use Hercule.

Bulla is a poor transliteration of ブラ. Presumably it's used so that kids googling the character don't wind up looking at lingerie images.

Bulla appearing in the subs is just more of the norm. It's unfortunate, but totally expected. The hope is that the home release of Super will contain a new or edited translation to match the current choices found on the home release subtitles.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:38 pm

I just hope that if FUNi insists on sticking with "Bulla", that they at least properly pronounce it us "bu-lah" rather than their ugly "buhll-uh".
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I just hope that if FUNi insists on sticking with "Bulla", that they at least properly pronounce it us "bu-lah" rather than their ugly "buhll-uh".
Haha, I say the same thing about Bulma! If you use it, fine, but "buhll-muh"?! Yeesh! Doesn't sound anything like it! So, yes, I totally agree. But, still... Bra, definitely.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Jesus why are people so mad over this? This was expected, the subs follow dub names.
Steve Simmons subs will use the name Bra.
Metalwario64 wrote:I just hope that if FUNi insists on sticking with "Bulla", that they at least properly pronounce it us "bu-lah" rather than their ugly "buhll-uh".
Well I can't blame them because of the double l.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:23 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Haha, I say the same thing about Bulma! If you use it, fine, but "buhll-muh"?! Yeesh! Doesn't sound anything like it! So, yes, I totally agree. But, still... Bra, definitely.
FUNimation's pronunciaton of Bulma doesn't bother me that much, but "Buhll-uh" sounds like a baby's trying and failing to say Bulma. :crazy:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:18 am

When the Japanese say it, it sounds like "Bulla" to me, so why not. When they say Goku, it sounds like Goku... when they say Vegeta, it sounds like Vegeta.. Bulla doesn't sound like Bra.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:58 am

LordCrumb wrote:When the Japanese say it, it sounds like "Bulla" to me, so why not. When they say Goku, it sounds like Goku... when they say Vegeta, it sounds like Vegeta.. Bulla doesn't sound like Bra.
By that logic, you'd have to use other transliterations like "Torankusu", "Pikkoro", "Bejita", "etc. Bulla misses the whole point of the name and the Japanese language pronounces things in different ways to English.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:13 am

It will most likely be spelt "bra" when Funimation releases it on home video.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 am

There is a chance for FUNimation to change her name to Bra, depending on if they say her name aloud in the Kai TFC dub, and if we convince Chris Sabat to use Bra in the Super dub.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:39 pm

simtek34 wrote:There is a chance for FUNimation to change her name to Bra, depending on if they say her name aloud in the Kai TFC dub, and if we convince Chris Sabat to use Bra in the Super dub.
I hope so, but it's probably not happening.

Actually, Chris Sabat does sometimes answer questions like this on Twitter, so maybe someone could try asking him about it?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
simtek34 wrote:There is a chance for FUNimation to change her name to Bra, depending on if they say her name aloud in the Kai TFC dub, and if we convince Chris Sabat to use Bra in the Super dub.
I hope so, but it's probably not happening.

Actually, Chris Sabat does sometimes answer questions like this on Twitter, so maybe someone could try asking him about it?
He mentioned Bra on twitter responding to a fan that they changed it in the old dub for censorship reasons so he's already acknowledging it, he didn't say what they'll use for Super though.

A problem that may stop them from using Bra is lip flaps since Bra is pronounced a bit longer in Japanese, or maybe they could pronounce it "bur-ah"?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:46 pm

For what it's worth, this 2003 interview addresses the name change. Sorta. Not really.

"Family show". OK.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Ah, yes, good ol' America, letting family television programs allow violence as a viable way to resolve conflict. I especially love it when they never even try to attempt using more passive means, like dialogue!

But Christ, letting a character be named after a bra? Won't somebody please think of the children?!

Do I get extra points for referencing The Simpsons?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:21 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Ah, yes, good ol' America, letting family television programs allow violence as a viable way to resolve conflict. I especially love it when they never even try to attempt using more passive means, like dialogue!

But Christ, letting a character be named after a bra? Won't somebody please think of the children?!

Do I get extra points for referencing The Simpsons?
lol what? Most western action cartoons talk about not attacking unless you have to defend yourself, or trying to settle it with words first unless they are fighting robots or something. Look at Ninja Turtles for starters. If we get into the movie realm, remember how big Karate Kid was?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:02 pm

That's just the society we live in. Violence? No problem. Sex? We get uncomfortable. And you know what, I'll be honest, I'd rather watch a gore-fest with my family than a sex scene. Call me crazy. And yes, bras have somehow been associated with "sexy" which is associated with "sex" in the same way that G-strings are.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:02 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:That's just the society we live in. Violence? No problem. Sex? We get uncomfortable. And you know what, I'll be honest, I'd rather watch a gore-fest with my family than a sex scene. Call me crazy. And yes, bras have somehow been associated with "sexy" which is associated with "sex" in the same way that G-strings are.
True.

And yet, Bulma still flashes her lower half at Master Roshi in OG Dragon Ball, there's still all those deliberately sexy shots of Maron in the Garlic Jr. saga, and Liu Xing Long(Oceanus Shenron) still came from Oolong's panties wish.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:15 pm

Welllll... Bulma doesn't technically flash Roshi, as they censored out how Goku removed her underwear and it comes off as Bulma shows Roshi her belly button and that makes him bleed from the nose. And they covered up Maron's butt more.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Not on the uncut DVDs.

Meanwhile, Bra is still called "Bulla" on the uncut GT DVDs.