Unpopular DB opinions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular DB opinions

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:I think that the average viewer around the world prefers their dub over the original Japanese version. And it makes sense. That's the version they grew up with.
It depends where one lives. For example, in Nordic countries watching dubs when you're old enough to read is considered retarded. Dubs are strictly for kids there.

So, I don't think it can be said with 100% surety that the average viewer prefers watching whatever dubs they grew with over the original. It depends on the place.
I forgot about that. Your right. It depends on the region. But in countries where dubs are the common way to consume movies, shows, cartoons like Latin America, probably the vast majority prefer the dub. It's probably the same case in English speaking countries. When it comes to Dragon Ball.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:38 am

Bajosexto wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:I think that the average viewer around the world prefers their dub over the original Japanese version. And it makes sense. That's the version they grew up with.
I grew up with the french dub, then I saw the english dubs as a teen, and finally around 20 yo or so I watched the sub. I prefer the sub by a large margin and can never watch any dub again lol
I'm sure there's a lot of fans like you that prefer the original Japanese over their dub. I'm kinda in the middle. I prefer the Japanese version of Dragon Ball but I love the Latin American dub dbz. I still think that the "casual" fans, which are the majority, prefer their version of the show and probably have never even seen a complete episode of DB in Japanese.
I'm a casual fan though. I don't think you can say who prefers what given how big this fandom is tbh so let's just speak for ourselves alright mate cheers lol

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:46 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
I grew up with the french dub, then I saw the english dubs as a teen, and finally around 20 yo or so I watched the sub. I prefer the sub by a large margin and can never watch any dub again lol
I'm sure there's a lot of fans like you that prefer the original Japanese over their dub. I'm kinda in the middle. I prefer the Japanese version of Dragon Ball but I love the Latin American dub dbz. I still think that the "casual" fans, which are the majority, prefer their version of the show and probably have never even seen a complete episode of DB in Japanese.
I'm a casual fan though. I don't think you can say who prefers what given how big this fandom tbh cheers lol
Well we can't be 100% sure because everyone is different and we all like to experience DB in our own way. But I'm pretty sure the majority of fans, at least in Latin America and English speaking countries, prefer their dub.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 am

PsionicWarrior wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote:
I'm a casual fan though. I don't think you can say who prefers what given how big this fandom is tbh so let's just speak for ourselves alright mate cheers lol
Really a casual fan can say "I grew up with the french dub, then I saw the english dubs as a teen, and finally around 20 yo or so I watched the sub. I prefer the sub by a large margin and can never watch any dub again lol"? You really think that's casual?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:59 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Really a casual fan can say "I grew up with the french dub, then I saw the english dubs as a teen, and finally around 20 yo or so I watched the sub. I prefer the sub by a large margin and can never watch any dub again lol"? You really think that's casual?
Well yes mate, casual isn't exactly someone who saw three episodes and that's it, if you compare to most of the people posting in this website, yes I can safely say I'm a casual lol

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:05 am

You have a point there. I confused lifelong with casual.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:08 am

For instance I'm completely incapable of posting long in-depth analysis like folks usually post around here, nor would I ever bother to try, even though I care about PL I don't understand shit from the PL threads, the list goes on lol

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Goku looks better with black & darker orange.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Goku looks better with black & darker orange.
Goku looks better with Purple and white, than with Orange and Blue.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 pm

I don't know if that's unpopular, but I only started to like Vegeta in the Boo Arc
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:54 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:I don't know if that's unpopular, but I only started to like Vegeta in the Boo Arc
I was kind of in the same boat. I appreciate his character before the Buu saga a lot more these days, but back when the series was still new for me, I didn't much care for Vegeta until he had more or less mellowed out in the Buu saga and had adopted a small bit of occasional goofiness. I didn't hate him or anything but he wasn't exactly a character I would miss if he was gone for any amount of time.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:17 am

DBSuper!Vegeta is the best Vegeta character!, period.

His mellowed persona is great.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 am

I would like it if eventually Super puts a limit to power.
For example, the limit to power, be it mortal or god, would be 100 (meaning there would be no way to get to 101) Daishinkan/the final enemy would be a 100, and for Goku to beat him he would first have to reach 100 and then beat him on a fair 1v1 fight based on technique, experience and battle smarts, without any bullshit.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:59 pm

As cool as beam struggles are in the show, they are a pretty pointless mechanic in the games that add nothing to the gameplay except button mashing or stick spinning. Not to mention they can be a nightmare for your hands if your not playing on a PS2 controller.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Hypocrisy doesn't break a villain. Some of the best one's of all time are total, blatant hypocrites like basically everyone of the mobsters in Godfather and Magneto.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Hypocrisy doesn't break a villain. Some of the best one's of all time are total, blatant hypocrites like basically everyone of the mobsters in Godfather and Magneto.
It's a great trait in a villain. I don't know why anyone would see it as a negative trait for a villain.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:12 pm

ABED wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Hypocrisy doesn't break a villain. Some of the best one's of all time are total, blatant hypocrites like basically everyone of the mobsters in Godfather and Magneto.
It's a great trait in a villain. I don't know why anyone would see it as a negative trait for a villain.
I used to be one of those people but there are simply too many really good bad guys out there who are total hypocrites for this argument to work. The mobsters in the Godfather movies treat themselves like businessmen with honor and good catholics but they're really just thugs & murderers playing pretend and are only catholics selectively but are okay with killing, torture and extortion most of the time.

Joker in TDK constantly says he's nothing but a mad dog chasing cars with no purpose behind it but the entire movie is him essentially pulling the Killing Joke on Harvey Dent to drive him insane. He all but uses the term "one bad day" from KJ too.

Freeza sips wine and talks like a refined aristocrat but he's nothing but an egotistical psychopath who makes a living murdering people and uses brutal tactics to intentionally prolong their suffering.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Freeza's a great example. He not only acts like a gentleman, but he looks down on Saiyans for their battle-centric nature even though he's as brutal as any of them.

In TDK, The Joker asks, "Do I look like a guy with a plan?" and looks down on people with plans even though he definitely has a well thought out and elaborate plan.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:21 pm

I actually enjoyed the Garlic Jr. Saga, for what it was anyways. Nothing to spectacular but it was nice to give Gohan, Krillin and Piccolo an arc without Goku coming in last minute to save them.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:36 pm

I think it completely breaks the villain if the characters don't acknowledge it in some way (be it other characters calling him out or the villain himself). It's fine if he knows he's a hypocrite and doesn't care, or the good guys know he's a hypocrite and they don't care about reasoning with him. It's different if the story is trying to portray the character's motivations as believable and trying to say the villain may have a leg to stand on morally when they don't even bother to acknowledge that he's being a hypocrite.

Zamasu and Baby are both hypocrites. But Zamasu is humiliated for being a hypocrite in the sense that nobody takes him seriously. Nobody ever calls Baby out on using a Saiyan body or ruling over the universe despite him using what the Saiyans did as justification.