Krillin the planet buster?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

Krillin the planet buster?

Post by cheddarsword » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Just curious but does Krillin ever reach planet buster status? I thought that he was about as strong as first form frieza who's a planet buster for sure.

But then there's DB Super... Not sure if he's at planet buster levels but he is standing against SSB Goku and doing better than he would have against final form Frieza. Granted, if you follow the manga's theory about SSB losing power over repeated uses, SSB may not be at full power as Goku had used it a lot recently (twice within the past 24 hours).

But even so, base Goku was kicking around a trained up final form Frieza like he was nothing during the Rez F arc.

So, is Krillin a planet buster and when did he achieve this status?

ryan1227

Re: Krillin the planet buster?

Post by ryan1227 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Kuririn, after the Recoome fight, was fighting on par with Ginyu in Goku's body, who had a battle power of 23,000, while Saiyan arc Vegeta was capable of blowing up Earth at a battle power of 18,000. In short, he is most likely a planet buster after the Recoome fight.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:10 pm

It's filler, but Vegeta blows up a planet before reaching Earth for the very first time (Saiyan Saga, specifically Planet Arlia). If Saiyan Saga Vegeta could blow up a planet, I'm pretty sure post-Freeza Krillin could as well.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Roshi could blow up the moon in the original Dragon Ball. Now let that sink in.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:33 am

Captain Strawberry wrote:Roshi could blow up the moon in the original Dragon Ball. Now let that sink in.
That's a good point actually. So the question isn't IF Krillin can blow up a planet, it's when did he gain the power?

And for the record, I don't count Vegeta's destruction of Arlia as it is filler, and possibly not legitimate as a result.

Filler power =/= Actual power

As for a planet, a moon isn't really a planet, as IIRC, Pluto is larger than Earth's moon but has been demoted from planetary status for being too small (though I think it's only due to updated standards).

I'm talking more along the lines of something like Earth, Mercury, Venus or Mars. Do take note that I left out the gas giants...

Or something along the lines of Planet Vegeta for that matter.

Krillin: I'mma firin' mah planet bustin' deth beem!

Goku: When did you learn to do that!?

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:12 am

Once he got his potential unlocked is when I think he became a planet buster. I think Nappa and up are planet busters

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:18 am

They went for over 31 years before having Goku destroy a planet, even though he could for the majority of that time, so how long do you suppose they'll go before Krillin gets a chance to destroy one? Until then, arguing if he can or not is kind of pointless.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SuperSalt

Post by SuperSalt » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:48 am

I'd say he turned into a planetbuster on Namek. We know Vegeta was capable of destroying Earth when he arrived. On Namek, Krillin came close to Earth-Vegeta, if not surpassing him. (I'm not sure about the power scalings here)
We have no way of knowing if he actually has any techniques that could do it, but he most certainly has the strength to do after the Grand Elder powerup. I think that if he put his mind to it, he could quickly make a new technique with planetbuster power.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:10 am

cheddarsword wrote:So, is Krillin a planet buster and when did he achieve this status?
According to the story, so far he is not one, yet. There's no onscreen feat of that.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:50 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:So, is Krillin a planet buster and when did he achieve this status?
According to the story, so far he is not one, yet. There's no onscreen feat of that.
Do you really think they're ever going to write a scene where Krillin destroys a planet, or even singlehandedly defeats someone who destroyed one?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Do you really think they're ever going to write a scene where Krillin destroys a planet, or even singlehandedly defeats someone who destroyed one?
If the writers feel like doing so, then yes.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:59 pm

As much as Blueku was holding back, nobody on the face of this earth can tell me his Kamehameha wasn't at least planet busting. He absolutely had to be using more than a single trillionth of his power.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:18 pm

nickzambuto wrote:As much as Blueku was holding back, nobody on the face of this earth can tell me his Kamehameha wasn't at least planet busting. He absolutely had to be using more than a single trillionth of his power.
Who's to say he can't hold back much more? Isn't Ki control what SSBlue excels at, is it?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:37 pm

To be fair, i dont think blowing planet is as impressive as some people think, Master Roshi manager to blew up Moon, and he was below 500 :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:45 pm

nickzambuto wrote:As much as Blueku was holding back, nobody on the face of this earth can tell me his Kamehameha wasn't at least planet busting. He absolutely had to be using more than a single trillionth of his power.
No doubt about it in my mind.

But at the core of my question wasn't weather or not Krillin had ever destroyed a planet but rather if he had the power to do it and when he attained that power.

So then I guess the question is, at what point is a character considered a planet buster?

Also, According to Daizenshu 7, Nappa's power level was 4000 (40,000 Oozaru).

Vegeta states his power level was 18,000 (180,000 Oozaru). He DOES threaten to destroy the planet without Oozaru form by using his Gallic gun however, which if I'm not mistaken is an even match for Goku's Kaioken X3, which multiplies in an odd way IIRC...

So does this mean, Arlia or not, Saiyan Saga Vegeta is a planet buster? If so, I'd say he sets the bar, though I do feel that maybe 15,000 would suffice. Not sure about 10,000 though. Sorry Bardock and baby Broly!
coola wrote:To be fair, i dont think blowing planet is as impressive as some people think, Master Roshi manager to blew up Moon, and he was below 500 :)

According to Space.com:
The moon's mass is 7.35 x 1022 kg, about 1.2 percent of Earth's mass. Put another way, Earth weighs 81 times more than the moon. The moon's density is 3.34 grams per cubic centimeter (3.34 g/cm3).
There's another topic on here about moon size in DB. I personally feel that both Earth and the Moon in DB are the same as the real ones.

That being said, just because Roshi and Piccolo can blow up the moon doesn't mean they can blow up the Earth completely. Though I do admit that it wouldn't be a pretty sight.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 pm

It actually takes about 1600x more energy to destroy the Earth than the moon, IIRC. According to real physics at least.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:10 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Who's to say he can't hold back much more? Isn't Ki control what SSBlue excels at, is it?
Then why on earth would he transform if he's just going to hold back that much?

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:57 am

That's ridiculous.

Krillin knows the Kamehameha, a technique that we know can destroy heavenly bodies if enough power is put behind it -- the same move Roshi used to destroy the moon, and what Cell was going to wipe out Earth and the whole solar system with. And we know that his power level has been above Vegeta's initial 18,000 ever since the Ginyu-in-Goku's-body fight (and it's only gone up since then -- 75,000 by the end of the Freeza battle, and then there were three years of training for the Androids after that, and a possibility that he's kept up training since then.)

So... we know that Krillin knows at least one technique that can destroy planets, and we know he's more powerful than the weakest known "planet buster," at least several times more powerful, probably far beyond that. Knowing that, it's just plain dumb to claim Krillin can't destroy a planet because "durrrr no featz."

When people refer to characters being "planet busters," they don't mean "someone who HAS blown up a planet," they mean "someone who COULD."

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:52 pm

He's obviously a planet buster. Freaking Yamcha could be one and he's not even close to Tenshinhan's strength.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Krillin's been able to blow up a planet since Namek.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):