Super Animation Catalogue 2.0

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Super Animation Catalogue 2.0 - Episode 86

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Yeah, basically everyone else fills in Tomioka's gaps.
When was Tomioka's last episode btw?

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:29 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Yeah, basically everyone else fills in Tomioka's gaps.
When was Tomioka's last episode btw?
I always have the impression like Tomioka is doing episodes who're mentionned in Toriyama's script, while others are doing episodes to drag out the story. Weird, haha.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:44 pm

Animator's corner doesn't seem to be updated for some weeks now. Is there any other site we can use to track info about the staff and other shows?
Psykomatik wrote:Since it basically became the "Animation Staff Discussion Thread", i asked Yoshitaka Toshio on twitter when he'll be back, and he said he's doing the episode which will air in 3 weeks... So episode 90!

Source: https://twitter.com/toshio916/status/857193933310271488
Good to know. He's by far my favourite writer.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:57 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Who did that shot? To me, it looks like someone traced over a Toyotaro panel...

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Psykomatik wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
i think it's a Miyuki Yokoyama correction

Alee9977
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Alee9977 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:32 pm

Psykomatik wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Finally a good nose, It has to be a tracing, either way they wouldn't be doing that nose

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:50 pm

#89 Image

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:54 pm

Sodhi wrote:#89 Image
Oh, I really like that setting!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:11 pm

The background is very pretty, looking forward to it.
Wonder who that artist is there, could be Nii I guess, Goku looks kinda similar to episode 82.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Just out of curiosity, what do people think is Tates best episode on the show?

It really doesn't matter if you like his work or not, I just want to know what people think his best animated episode is and why.

Personally, I'm sticking to my guns on #86, generally due to everything about the episode being so solid, even though there is an argument that his looped frames were a little awkward, I think everything surrounding them more than made up for it.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 pm

The backgrounds are always amazing in super. Whoever's doing them needs a raise.

Also, favorite Tate episode is 38. Goku versus hit in that episode was amazing. I remember just sitting in my seat and being shocked about how great it was.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:22 pm

JazzMazz wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do people think is Tates best episode on the show?

It really doesn't matter if you like his work or not, I just want to know what people think his best animated episode is and why.

Personally, I'm sticking to my guns on #86, generally due to everything about the episode being so solid, even though there is an argument that his looped frames were a little awkward, I think everything surrounding them more than made up for it.
My favorite episode that he supervised... I guess it would have to be Episode 38. It's one of the few episodes that actually move from the first tournament, and it moves pretty well even in retrospect. That atmosphere was also pretty good for such a repetitive setting.

As for my favorite cut, it would have to be the one he contributed to in Episode 63.
Retired.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:29 pm

So yeah, that looks like it's probably this artist.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
I wonder if this is Nii or someone who works under him.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:33 am

JazzMazz wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do people think is Tates best episode on the show?
It's a tie between episode 47 (Black's badass entrance) and episode 56 (Super Saiyan Rose reveal).
The beautiful storyboard played a big role on the first one though. And of course, Sumitomo's godlike Desperate Assault soundtrack makes every scene where it plays much more memorable.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:42 am

As an AD, #86 for me as well. His half was very good. He left a stronger mark in #38 probably, but #86 was a stronger combined effort and a much better setting. The storyboard and art direction helped him a lot and Tsuji was also fine with her corrections.

His best cuts are in #86 again. That's how you do looped frames. The smeary action, the impact hits and once again the great setting all combined to produce one of the best animated battle scenes in the franchise. Though, his cuts in #26 are just as good. Many would say it's better and I can totally understand why one would think so.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:58 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:
As an AD, #86 for me as well. His half was very good. He left a stronger mark in #38 probably, but #86 was a stronger combined effort and a much better setting. The storyboard and art direction helped him a lot and Tsuji was also fine with her corrections.

His best cuts are in #86 again. That's how you do looped frames. The smeary action, the impact hits and once again the great setting all combined to produce one of the best animated battle scenes in the franchise. Though, his cuts in #26 are just as good. Many would say it's better and I can totally understand why one would think so.
What are your thoughts on the criticism leveled at Tate's repeated frames during those scenes? Why did they stick out to you in a more positive manner?
ArchedThunder wrote:So I thought I'd anaylize Tate's clashes from this episode to really try and put into words why I'm not a fan of them, keep in mind this is coming from a Tate fan and I think the rest of the animation he did in the episode was great, it's just the clashes I don't like.
We'll just focus on the far out ones, the close ups don't bother me all that much and the one when they are shooting down to the ocean I actually like.
17 is moving around enough, but Goku is incredibly stiff looking. On top of that there are multiple frames where limbs are being stretched out way too much and it becomes incredibly obvious that it is happening since the frames are repeated multiple times in the clash.
Here's the frames that I think really ruin this clash;
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Stretching limbs out to make animation smoother and more dynamic is a great technique, but in a clash that is a few frames repeated over and over without any tweens I don't think it works at all.
Here is a frame that achieves the same thing I think Tate was going for, but it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in the animation;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The next clash;
In this one the clash doesn't really loop properly and it makes them look like they're snapping to a different spot when the clash loops instead of it coming together smoothly. This cut also has the same issue of limbs being stretched out too much, but it's not as noticeable because the limbs are thinner so it almost looks like they are just stretched out due to the shadows being cast by the sun right behind them.

Now for the final clash that I have a problem with;
I don't know how many will agree with me, but honestly I think this cut is the worst part of the entire episode. Both characters are incredibly stiff and the limb stretching is at its worst.
[spoiler]Image
and the worst offending frame for what I'm talking about;
Image[/spoiler]
There's not really any flow and their arms barely look like arms.

That's just my two cents, again I love Tate and I think the rest of his work on the episode was great, it's just that these cuts stood out to me and kinda brought things down a bit.

Nasryyy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nasryyy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:43 am

does anyone have the staff list for battle of gods and resurrection F movies ?

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:35 am

Nasryyy wrote:does anyone have the staff list for battle of gods and resurrection F movies ?
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/movie/revival-of-f/

I'm surprised that Hisashi Eguchi was animating some of RoF.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/movie/battle-of-gods/
Last edited by Gashif Aldi on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from:

JazzMazz
I Live Here

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:40 am

Gashif Aldi wrote:
Nasryyy wrote:does anyone have the staff list for battle of gods and resurrection F movies ?

I'm surprised that Hisashi Eguchi here.
Didn't he say that he was corrected by Tadayoshi Yamamuro in an interview with Masaki Sato?

Gashif Aldi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gashif Aldi » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:52 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Gashif Aldi wrote:

I'm surprised that Hisashi Eguchi here.
Didn't he say that he was corrected by Tadayoshi Yamamuro in an interview with Masaki Sato?
Well, I guess I missed that one. My bad. I thought that Eguchi criticized him before RoF and BoG was a thing.
I'm bad at English and still learning. If there's anything wrong, please correct me. :D

Profile Picture is from: