Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:13 am

Boo Machine wrote:I'm becoming less and less of a fan of the whole "Piccolo is Gohans real dad" meme that's been around for years.
That's been my thoughts in recent months as well..
Combined with goku is such a bad father meme..
These are straight up annoying, not that it was ever funny besides the first time to being with..

Another thing that's irritating are the comments on every z YouTube video..

One said
"This was so much better animation when Dragonball was hand drawn :cry emoji: "

Is it that hard to do some research
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:55 am

Ki Breaker wrote: Another thing that's irritating are the comments on every z YouTube video..

One said

What most of em mean to say is, "Dragon Ball was better animated on cels". Which, I do agree with it, is pretty debatable among the rest of the fanbase.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:11 am

Bansho64 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Another thing that's irritating are the comments on every z YouTube video..

One said

What most of em mean to say is, "Dragon Ball was better animated on cels". Which, I do agree with it, is pretty debatable among the rest of the fanbase.
I doubt most of them even know what cels are, it's alright when someone legitimately likes how z looked, I myself like how z looked compared to super, but the comments I am talking about are made to get likes, there is no substance or thoughts put into to it..
It comes off as bashing for the sake of bashing
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 am

Trickster wrote:I hate when people say Goku is not a hero. He ALWAYS tried to take the battles out of the city, even in the old movies. He always was concerned about what could happen with population because of his battles. Dude, he sacrificed himself TWICE! There's nothingo more altruistic than that!

"Goku is not a good father, Goku is not responsible, Goku never cared about the others". Dragon Ball Super changed a character that was compared even to Jesus to a bad person no one cares about.
Is that why he chose to fight the androids after Trunks' warning, instead of going along with Bulma's suggestion, which was to wish for the location of Dr Gero's lab so they could stop him before he built the androids in the first place? Goku and pals deliberately chose to put the Earth, their friends and families in danger just to satiate their battle lust and pride, despite Trunks warning them just how dangerous the androids were. Also, when was Goku being compared to Jesus outside of memes?

Anyway, I'm not saying Goku isn't a hero, but he's only a hero by circumstance. Once he's in a fight, he'll try to protect innocent lives, but if he could've prevented the fight from happening in the first place, he probably wouldn't have done so. He doesn't actively try to be a hero like Superman, or even Saiyaman. Most of the time he just happens to be in the right place at the right time.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:43 am

Goku is absolutely a hero, in a lot of classical ways given the genre, but he won't match the ideal of the Western superhero, if that's what you're looking for. He's flawed; he privileges self-improvement, challenge and honor sometimes to a fault, and the manga never pretends otherwise.

That doesn't stop him from being a basically good, even self-sacrificing person when the situation allows. It also doesn't stop him from making terrible and increasingly dangerous decisions as he meets the world with his honorable-warrior philosophy, and those issues increase along with his power and ennui.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:17 pm

I echo the thoughts of Cipher. Goku is certainly a hero but not in the traditional western fashion that you would see in animated shows, movies, comic books or other forms of literature.

Goku is not some messiah archetype who looks to bring out the good in people and uses the power of friendship and good deeds to sway others and make villains or other evil-doers consider their actions. He's a classical hero Hercules-esque character who's love for martial arts and becoming as strong as he can possibly become unintentionally creates special bonds with other martial artists and unique characters.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:21 pm

People who think there's no effort whatsoever in Super.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:26 pm

On the very rare event that I'm looking for a DB-related reference image, or maybe some fanart, randomly coming across things such as Goku X Vegeta, Gohan X Piccolo,etc. I don't know what it is with someone getting the, uh... urge to take a successful authors' work -- which features established character relationships -- and then going out of their way to twist and distort it so that it aligns more closely with the views of an alternative lifestyle (or whatever the PC term may be). Not only is a "fanart" created, but it's posted publicly for anyone to see -- with the added benefit of that person getting praise, recognition, and even a following. There is no respect to the property being shown here, and it's also distasteful and disturbing. I would suggest doing things like that in one's private setting. Or better yet, creating their own characters and doing that in a private setting. This should apply for any authors' work, imo.

Kind of on a similar subject -- looking up DB, a video game, or even food items and finding the comments section randomly filled with My Little Pony discussion. Or like the above, MLP images being randomly mixed in with non-related searches. Are Google and Youtube deploying MLP to infest and brainwash the internet masses? What's going on here? And what are "bronies" (I don't need an answer for that)? I'm not so familiar with a lot of the online culture and lingo.

This one's minor, but seeing images posted of DB characters doing a "looking at the camera with a badass pose". I like seeing situational images of the characters because it looks natural -- the aforementioned are just gimmicky and desperate for attention. While some may look nice and on-model, I can't help but think "but that's not Goku".

Finally, when watching a DB-related video on Youtube, most of the sidebar being taken up by gimmicky click bait video links. Why are people so desperate to spread misinformation? For views? "PROOF - SSJ5 Gogeta coming to Super in the next arc?!", or something like that -- and it'll have a million views. That's more of a head-shaker than a gear-grinder I suppose.

Ugh.

I don't know. Call me old-fashioned or traditional. Or a purist...

Anyway, those are some things that grind my gears.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Bansho64 wrote:

One said

You're giving YouTube commenters way too much credit.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 am

Boo Machine wrote:I'm becoming less and less of a fan of the whole "Piccolo is Gohans real dad" meme that's been around for years.

I thought it was just a joke, but I'm starting to think there are some that actually put Piccolo as the greatest father of the world. I get that they're close but it confuses me because I have a hard time thinking of any moments where Piccolo in any way seems like Gohans "Real dad".
This. I hate this "joke" so much. I see it used mainly by TFS fans who think those portrayals are the actual characters.

Pickle_Jar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pickle_Jar » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:26 am

X-posted as a comment I made on someone's Youtube video.

People love to call Raditz weak. Yeah, end-series DBZ Goku could kill him with a fart, but as a first enemy Raditz handed everyone their a$$ before he got taken out and it took three people to beat him. (Piccolo, Goku, and Gohan although Gohan was kind of an accident). So for a first enemy he was a tough dude, and I hate it when people call Raditz weak. Compared to everyone at the end of DBZ, yes. He's weak. Compared to everyone in the beginning, though? Not weak. Not the strongest, but not weak.
:mrgreen: I'm a cucumber, so don't put me in the pickle jar! :mrgreen:

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 am

When Youtube's homepage is flooded with Super spoilers on my Sunday morning.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am

^ Shows like DBS are equally enjoyable even if you get spoiled. In fact, it makes you want to see exactly how things go down so the experience might be even better.

That being said, it does grind my gears that all these YouTubers do the same damn thing as everyone else and just give a summary of the episode and call it a "review".
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:46 am

People who insult Funi because they aren't TFS.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:02 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:People who think there's no effort whatsoever in Super.
THIS

Most of them think that the animation industry is something really simple and easy . Ugh.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 am

DBZ Macky wrote:^ Shows like DBS are equally enjoyable even if you get spoiled. In fact, it makes you want to see exactly how things go down so the experience might be even better.
You see, back in the day I was fine with spoilers. I used to follow Naruto and One Piece spoilers and had a blast speculating until proven fake and my mindset was : "It doesn't matter how it ends, but what happens in-between."

But now I want to be surprised when I watch something. Knowing what's happening isn't fun anymore for me and I no longer care for spoilers and avoid them as best as possible, but it's kinda hard when the internet is around.
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:08 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:
DBZ Macky wrote:^ Shows like DBS are equally enjoyable even if you get spoiled. In fact, it makes you want to see exactly how things go down so the experience might be even better.
You see, back in the day I was fine with spoilers. I used to follow Naruto and One Piece spoilers and had a blast speculating until proven fake and my mindset was : "It doesn't matter how it ends, but what happens in-between."

But now I want to be surprised when I watch something. Knowing what's happening isn't fun anymore for me and I no longer care for spoilers and avoid them as best as possible, but it's kinda hard when the internet is around.
I fall somewhere in the middle. I prefer not to be spoiled, but stories are more than just surprises. It is about the journey and the execution.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:23 pm

ABED wrote:
SHINOBI-03 wrote:

I fall somewhere in the middle. I prefer not to be spoiled, but stories are more than just surprises. It is about the journey and the execution.
Ditto, although there are times I've spoiled something for myself and it only made me more excited to watch the movie, like TDKRises.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:30 pm

SHINOBI-03 wrote:When Youtube's homepage is flooded with Super spoilers on my Sunday morning.
I avoid YouTube like plague that day until I am done watching..

I am coming to the point where speculating on spoilers aren't as fun as they were before..
I would rather enjoy the remainder of the show as something special..

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:25 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:People who insult Funi because they aren't TFS.
Pretty much, it's a shame, I love Funi and I love TFS, but some people make it seem like it's a competition with one another.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy