How high do you think Dragon Ball merchandise sales will be after the current arc?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Re: How high do you think Dragon Ball merchandise sales will be after the current arc?

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed May 10, 2017 4:25 pm

:lol: :lol: I guess people really are bored with this current arc :lol: :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: How high do you think Dragon Ball merchandise sales will be after the current arc?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Sodhi wrote:New numbers are out
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Bloody fucking hell.

Super is doing so much bank it's fucking nuts. This show is going to go on forever. :P

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Wed May 10, 2017 5:17 pm

I am sure the numbers would be even higher for 2018. As the new merch for USA will be coming out and all the hype.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 10, 2017 5:32 pm

Faisal Shourov wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Faisal Shourov wrote:One Piece doesn't even compare to Dragon Ball outside Japan really, Dragon Ball is lightyears ahead. Naruto too is much, much popular than One Piece outside Japan.
I'm surprised that's still the case. Its popularity in the US is so small that it couldn't even last on Toonami. I thought by now Funi's dub would've made up for the mess 4Kids made back in the day.
One Piece is one worst case of bad marketing and management. They made all the wrong decisions and turned away foreign fans. But yeah, even now One Piece is nowhere near Naruto, let alone DB. It goes Dragon Ball >>> Naruto >>>>>>>>> One Piece. Naruto absolutely stomps One Piece manga sales in US. One Piece is very much niche outside Japan

https://animetics.net/us-manga-print-sales-statistics/

Granted, manga sales are not the best indicator for popularity but you get the gist.
You know, I had no idea that the Tokyo Ghoul manga was such a hit in the last few years.

Glen300

Post by Glen300 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:36 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote::lol: :lol: I guess people really are bored with this current arc :lol: :lol:
Have they even released new merchandise based on this Arc yet?

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed May 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Glen300 wrote:
ChaosLordBrandon wrote::lol: :lol: I guess people really are bored with this current arc :lol: :lol:
Have they even released new merchandise based on this Arc?
Not really, but where else could the reason sales be so high from? sales would be going down if people were bored of the series and they would like bleach sales. can't be from Heroes, and can't be Xenoverse 2 because most people that buy anime games just play single player and that's it.

Way more people Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 than Xenoverse 2 and that's not counting how many people brought the road to boruto thing by itself.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 10, 2017 6:11 pm

You know this should be surprising but it isn't after seeing how well FUNi's pre orders for Super part one have been tracking seems the Super is as strong as the Z brand.
Glen300 wrote: Have they even released new merchandise based on this Arc yet?
Not quite yet, seems July onwards the merch roll out for this arc will begin which makes sense given the actul tournament will begin mid June the earliest if not definitely by July.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Thu May 11, 2017 11:54 am

Lord Beerus wrote: You know, I had no idea that the Tokyo Ghoul manga was such a hit in the last few years.
Tokyo Ghoul was huge two years back, it was the most popular edgy anime and teenagers love edgy stuff. I used to see facebook groups flooded with wallpaper and drawings.
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu May 11, 2017 12:28 pm

ChaosLordBrandon wrote:
Glen300 wrote:
Have they even released new merchandise based on this Arc?
Not really, but where else could the reason sales be so high from? sales would be going down if people were bored of the series and they would like bleach sales. can't be from Heroes, and can't be Xenoverse 2 because most people that buy anime games just play single player and that's it.
Already covered this in another thread but the assumption that the rise in sales is solely or even primarily attributable to Super is not clear and definitely not based solely around wherever current arc the series is at. Xenoverse alone was a huge contributor for an individual product. The numbers posted represent all DB label merchandise including heroes trading cards etc. and not exclusively indicative of Supers performance. However Super is undoubtedly a contributing factor to the rise in sales.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat May 13, 2017 8:58 pm

I presume more than it ever had due to the amount of new characters being introduced.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 am

Toei's numbers for FY2017 are out so I'm updating the charts. Absolutely staggering numbers, DB made 9 billion yen for Toei (versus already record 5 billion last year) and 61 billion for Bandai Namco

Mazingerdestro
Regular

Post by Mazingerdestro » Mon May 15, 2017 12:16 pm

If that weird smear is indeed a new level then probably over 9000 in Europe and USA and over 8000 in Japan.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon May 15, 2017 12:18 pm

Basaku wrote:Toei's numbers for FY2017 are out so I'm updating the charts. Absolutely staggering numbers, DB made 9 billion yen for Toei (versus already record 5 billion last year) and 61 billion for Bandai Namco

The Toei link doesn't work. Edit: Nevermind.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Basaku wrote:Toei's numbers for FY2017 are out so I'm updating the charts. Absolutely staggering numbers, DB made 9 billion yen for Toei (versus already record 5 billion last year) and 61 billion for Bandai Namco

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That spike in profit from 2015 to 2017 is just ridiculous.

All hail Super! :P

Dragon Ball's new money-spinner! :)

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Mon May 15, 2017 6:29 pm

Damn that's well over 500 million dollars.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon May 15, 2017 8:39 pm

I'm sorry but I think quoting a HUUUUGE pics multiple times isnt kosher, or is it?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 15, 2017 10:16 pm

DB is Toei's number #1 overall (OP- 7.7 billion yen, DB- 9.1 billion yen), but OP is still on top in Japan, but even then the gap is pretty small. Makes me wonder if DB will pass OP for Toei in Japan this year.
Dragon Ball's growth is crazy.
Sodhi wrote:I am sure the numbers would be even higher for 2018. As the new merch for USA will be coming out and all the hype.
Yeah, they're probably shooting low with 45 because it always looks better to surpass forecasts.

Sodhi
I Live Here

Post by Sodhi » Mon May 15, 2017 10:54 pm

The gap is almost non existent now in Japan. Super and DB in general are doing way too good. Toei is making more money with DB than One piece at this point. The growth is insane. Hopefully they look at this and invest as much money as possible to make Super come out of production problems.
Last edited by Sodhi on Mon May 15, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon May 15, 2017 10:57 pm

Makes you wonder what is Toriyama's paycheck from production committee these days :P Gotta be at least couple million $ a year, his return is the prime reason the franchise's comeback is this enormously successful

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Basaku wrote:Makes you wonder what is Toriyama's paycheck from production committee these days :P Gotta be at least couple million $ a year, his return is the prime reason the franchise's comeback is this enormously successful
This isn't even all the money Toei is making off Super either; it's just their first party goods.