Anyone surprised by the lack of new transformations in Super?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Anyone surprised by the lack of new transformations in Super?

Post by Bullza » Fri May 12, 2017 11:11 pm

It's no secret that all these transformations are probably one of the biggest selling points of the series and they've used it to sell games and movies etc.

It sorta started in any kind of significant way during the Frieza saga. Really kicked up during the Android saga and then it was just overdone by the Buu saga, it became a bit transformation happy by the end there. GT of course had plenty as well.

Then they brought out Battle of Gods. That Goku got a new form in that movie was a big selling point but even though he barely used that form by the very next movie he had another new form which again along with Frieza getting a new form was just a big selling point.

Now you've got games like Heroes and Fusions which have given everyone these other forms and they've made up forms etc.

So I thought Super was gonna be the same, that they were gonna bring out new forms left and right but they actually haven't been too bad with it at all. As far as transformations/forms go Post Resurrection F.

There's Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken, Super Saiyan Rose, Super Saiyan Rage and Merged Zamasu.

That's mainly it and that's been one of the biggest surprises for me with this series because I did expect them to keep getting new forms over and over. The villains in particular always transformed many times like Frieza, Cell, Buu and Baby but Hit and Zamasu never transformed at all and Black only transformed once.

I'm glad because it does keep these transformations worthwhile that way. People are interested at the moment that Goku might gets new form in this saga which would be the first proper one in 2 years if he does. It wouldn't be that interesting if it were too often.

precita
Banned

Re: Anyone surprised by the lack of new transformations in Super?

Post by precita » Sat May 13, 2017 1:21 am

If anything there's been too many in the only 90 episodes we had so far.

90 episodes into DBZ we had....Super Saiyan. And that's it not counting the villain transformations.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat May 13, 2017 1:27 am

Pleasantly so.

Let the God forms breath. They are potential in a can in a way none of the golden forms were. If that makes Super's battle powers fairly horizontal, so bloody be it.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat May 13, 2017 1:53 am

It's quite refreshing, and to be honest, I'll be perfectly happy if Goku and Vegeta don't get another transformation after Blue for a long while.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 13, 2017 2:03 am

There have been loads of new transformations! SSG, SSB, Golden Freeza, SSBK, Rose, SS Rage. There's Zamasu's weird omnipresent cloud form. A new power for Goku has been teased in the Boogie Back ending and the new OP. Since this arc isn't over yet, let's have the cutoff be Episode 67. We'll count the retelling episodes too, that makes it more than fair. That's 7 transformations in 4 arcs! In 67 episodes! That's an average of a new form every 9-10 episodes. Where do you get that there's any lack of transformations?

Our memories are getting a bit short, aren't they?
Retired.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 13, 2017 2:14 am

precita wrote:If anything there's been too many in the only 90 episodes we had so far.

90 episodes into DBZ we had....Super Saiyan. And that's it not counting the villain transformations.
Not really a fair comparison though because the series wasn't a transformation fest at first. It seemed to quickly escalate from when Zarbon said he could transform, then Frieza did so three times and then Goku did and then everyone kept transforming after that.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:There have been loads of new transformations. SSG, SSB, Golden Freeza, SSBK, Rose, SS Rage.
Those first three aren't really new to Super. They were from the movies which the show had no choice to include for obvious reasons so it's not really the shows fault.

The Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken...I don't even know if that counts as a new form. It's the same form with a red aura that boosts his power but even if you count that, it's just three transformations (I wouldn't count the Zamasu cloud)

Look at all the new transformations and fusions they came out with in the Android and Buu saga. Cell alone transformed more times than that.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat May 13, 2017 2:19 am

Bullza wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:There have been loads of new transformations. SSG, SSB, Golden Freeza, SSBK, Rose, SS Rage.
Those first three aren't really new to Super. They were from the movies which the show had no choice to include for obvious reasons so it's not really the shows fault.

The Super Saiyan Blue Kaioken...I don't even know if that counts as a new form. It's the same form with a red aura that boosts his power but even if you count that, it's just three transformations (I wouldn't count the Zamasu cloud)

Look at all the new transformations and fusions they came out with in the Android and Buu saga. Cell alone transformed more times than that.
Fine, let's eliminate SSBK, even though it is treated like a transformation in the show. Cloudmasu is a change in form, so I won't get rid of that one.

That's still 3 transformations in 40 episodes, an average of about one new form every 13 episodes. That's an average of over 1 transformation per arc. It's less than the later parts of OG Dragon Ball, but it's far from a shortage.
Retired.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 13, 2017 3:03 am

We've had 3 completely different forms and whatever Trunks used while in Z after Ssj1 was introduced we had to wait for the Buu arc to get a new form in Ssj3 so if anything I think we've had too many.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat May 13, 2017 5:52 am

sintzu wrote:We've had 3 completely different forms and whatever Trunks used while in Z after Ssj1 was introduced we had to wait for the Buu arc to get a new form in Ssj3 so if anything I think we've had too many.
Bullza is talking about transformations period not just for Saiyans. We had 3 for Freeza (4 if you count Full Power), 1 for Zarbon, Trunks Vegeta and Gohan getting SS1, then the SS1 forms like Super Vegeta, Ultra Super Saiyan etc then of course Cell had 2 more transformation (3 if you count Super perfect) then Gohan SS2. That was all in a similar time span of Super talking with Kai 1.0.
precita wrote:If anything there's been too many in the only 90 episodes we had so far.

Taking Kai into account and not Z cuz of all the padding and terrible filler. There is a lot of transformations with 98 episodes.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 am

Super Saiyan 1 to 3 was more than enough for me, personally. I really, really disliked Super Saiyan 4, and that isn't just because I dislike GT, I genuinely thought it looked terrible.

I am pleasantly surprised that Super isn't as awash with transformations as I expected. I have to say though, whilst I don't dislike the whole concept of "God power" or whatever, I really dislike the names of the new transformations. Super Saiyan God? Saiyan beyond God? Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan? Rubbish.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat May 13, 2017 8:39 am

The only transformation I want to see is Super Kuririn and he ends up one shotting everyone in the tournament.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 pm

TheZFighter wrote:Super Saiyan 1 to 3 was more than enough for me, personally. I really, really disliked Super Saiyan 4, and that isn't just because I dislike GT, I genuinely thought it looked terrible.
I was never keen on the Super Saiyan 4 transformation either. It seemed very out of place. Why did he suddenly get pink-red fur? Why was Vegeta's fur a different colour? Why did transforming into a Super Saiyan 4 suddenly give him different pants? Why were his waste band and armbands now a different colour?

Even Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, why was his hair red?

This would have fit better in my opinion.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I am pleasantly surprised that Super isn't as awash with transformations as I expected. I have to say though, whilst I don't dislike the whole concept of "God power" or whatever, I really dislike the names of the new transformations. Super Saiyan God? Saiyan beyond God? Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan? Rubbish.
I don't particularly mind the name because it does sound powerful but in hindsight Super Saiyan God should have been called Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue should have been called Super Saiyan God.

King-K9
Not-So-Newbie

Post by King-K9 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:58 pm

The SSJ transformations are getting out of hand, and the quicker they stop making them, the better.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat May 13, 2017 2:33 pm

I don't mean to be that guy, but shouldn't things related to Super be in a more appropriate area of Kanzenshuu? I imagine that there are still some DB fans/Kanzenshuu-goers that haven't looked into Super yet. :)

As for transformations, that's not really my selling point for watching a Dragon Ball series. I do like - as far as SSJ goes - that Super is trying to add an extra layer of possibilities to the base SSJ form, as opposed to just manufacturing completely new forms. Execution, however, has been unfortunately amiss on this front, imo.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 13, 2017 2:49 pm

King-K9 wrote:The SSJ transformations are getting out of hand, and the quicker they stop making them, the better.
They're the franchise's main selling point so we'll just get more moving forward.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sat May 13, 2017 2:59 pm

Bullza wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:Super Saiyan 1 to 3 was more than enough for me, personally. I really, really disliked Super Saiyan 4, and that isn't just because I dislike GT, I genuinely thought it looked terrible.
I was never keen on the Super Saiyan 4 transformation either. It seemed very out of place. Why did he suddenly get pink-red fur? Why was Vegeta's fur a different colour? Why did transforming into a Super Saiyan 4 suddenly give him different pants? Why were his waste band and armbands now a different colour?

Even Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta, why was his hair red?

This would have fit better in my opinion.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I don't particularly mind the name because it does sound powerful but in hindsight Super Saiyan God should have been called Saiyan God and Super Saiyan Blue should have been called Super Saiyan God.
Yes continuing the gold would've made a lot more sense.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.