Frieza is really killing it since his return?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: Frieza is really killing it since his return?

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Ill go ahead and say I was for Frieza coming back from the start. Though I wanted Buu too.

They have handled his character really well so far.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:33 pm

IMO Freeza's endgame will justify his return. We all know they didn't just bring him back for this tournament to be done with him. He might wind up becoming the main villain of a future arc.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:22 pm

This arc has done wonders for his characterisation. Namek's hectic martial environment with Freeza acting as the offlines commander before being thrusted into combat against the Z warriors didn't facilitate any capacity for non-hostile interaction. As a result, we mostly know Freeza for his sadism and pension for being an autocratic overseer of his subordinates. The transition from antagonist to co-belligerent with Beerus' presence keeping him in check has forcibly altered the dynamic between Freeza and his mortal enemies. Discovering Frost at the tournament before proposing an alliance adds an even seedier layer to his sub-plot as the audience is compelled into following Freeza's actions throughout the tournament and how they will impact things.

We all know Freeza is going to betray the Universe 7 team. The question is how, when and at what cost to them and the multiversal participants. Does Frost share in his fate of inevitable failure or could there perhaps be a different final end for him?
Last edited by Lionel on Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 pm

I'd have to note the thing I think that makes modern Frieza uninteresting to me is he's a static character. He's a complete evil prick and I would be pissed if they made him a good guy or something shitty like that, but that also makes him boring to me. We pretty much know everything about Frieza's personality to the point that everyone is already predicting that he'll most likely backstab the team.

So basically I think him developing would basically betray his vary essence, while at the same time I think him being around but never changing is boring. The only thing they could do that I would be satisfied with would be to have him stay dead for good. Let the damn character die literally and figuratively.

...ALSO CAN BUU BE UTILIZED BETTER?! :x
precita wrote:IMO Freeza's endgame will justify his return. We all know they didn't just bring him back for this tournament to be done with him. He might wind up becoming the main villain of a future arc.
That's exactly what I'm afraid of though. I think rather than actually coming up with cool new villains like Zamasu, they'll just reuse ol' Freezy pop again, or even worse, have him become a good guy. Then there's the theory going around that he could become a god of destruction and I HATE that idea. Super brought back Trunks and turned his happy ending into a sad one. If they bring Frieza back and give him a happy ending, to me that's infuriating.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:26 pm

The closest thing to positive characterisation for Freeza back in the original manga was his relationship with his father and Ginyu. He demonstrated a surprising amount of faith in their strength and dependability. Both times the objective of his journey was being placed in their hands and how they would react to any possible endangerment.

We're faced with a similar query on how the Freeza/Frost relationship will unfold. Freeza didn't seem to have any compunctions with deferring to Cold as a powerful force who could be spoken of in the same breath as Freeza while projecting his own strength -- this leads me to believe Freeza has a non-aggressive affinity for those of his species. Could he be genuinely seeking to develop a long-term partnership with Frost? Or are they just allies of convenience who will inevitably turn on one another? That's one of the big questions concerning Freeza for me at the moment.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:45 am

They have handled his return wonderfully.

I was one of the people who wanted to see Cell return instead, but I can definitely appreciate Freeza's return now.

I'm actually hoping that Frieza is not only a Universe 7 problem, but a problem for EVERYONE. The amount of chaos he could cause with the Super Dragon Balls would be insane.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Akuma Johnson

Post by Akuma Johnson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:57 am

I think, yes.

The first time I heard the news of him returning, I was pissed off. But then Episode 94 came around and boy, Toei did a great job in that. Seeing how he is still the scummiest villain in all of Dragon Ball, the aura of him being elegant AND badass was way too much. And I liked it.
Dragon Ball sucks lmao
Discord username (with tag) - Razius#2781

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:59 am

I actually wasn't expecting very much from Freezas return. Hell, when the news came out I was pretty sure it was a fake out until a few weeks before the episode aired. Because,like, Freeza? Again? Really? Didn't he JUST die? Again?

So that fact that he has been so entertaining and that he works surprisingly well with the cast has been wonderful. I only hope he doesn't become a good guy ( I highly doubt that will happen, but i've been wrong) and that he doesn't become the main villain of the next arc.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Akuma Johnson

Post by Akuma Johnson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:06 am

Boo Machine wrote:I actually wasn't expecting very much from Freezas return. Hell, when the news came out I was pretty sure it was a fake out until a few weeks before the episode aired. Because,like, Freeza? Again? Really? Didn't he JUST die? Again?

So that fact that he has been so entertaining and that he works surprisingly well with the cast has been wonderful. I only hope he doesn't become a good guy ( I highly doubt that will happen, but i've been wrong) and that he doesn't become the main villain of the next arc.
So, do you think Frieza and Frost team up would do any justice in the next arc (if possible)?
Dragon Ball sucks lmao

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:15 am

Akuma Johnson wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:I actually wasn't expecting very much from Freezas return. Hell, when the news came out I was pretty sure it was a fake out until a few weeks before the episode aired. Because,like, Freeza? Again? Really? Didn't he JUST die? Again?

So, do you think Frieza and Frost team up would do any justice in the next arc (if possible)?
Frost isn't an interesting villain though. He's just a slightly different Frieza. It'd basically just be two Freeza's.

Now Frost, that's a guy who would benefit from becoming a good guy or at least an anti-hero.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:20 am

I honestly think had Return of F never happened, Freeza's return now would have been far better received from the beginning. It's just that Freeza just came back and just died AGAIN, so it seems weird for him to return essentially after one arc later after the Zamasu one.

Of course now nobody cares because Freeza's return has been great, but that initial backlash probably wouldn't have happened. Not to mention if Buu wasn't the one kicked out but instead Roshi or Tenshinhan were...

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:36 am

Akuma Johnson wrote: So, do you think Frieza and Frost team up would do any justice in the next arc (if possible)?
As the main antagonists of the next arc? Not really. I wouldn't mind them being a factor in the next arc or the one after, but there isn't really anything new that can be done with Freeza X2 as the main Villain. This team up is really only slightly interesting in the first place because of Frost, who is still fairly new and different enough from Freeza that I feel like he has room to be a cool character in his own right. Good or bad guy.

And Freeza himself is only working as well as he is in this arc because they put him in a position that he has never been put into before. Working with our heros instead of against them, and it's interesting to see the results.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Akuma Johnson

Post by Akuma Johnson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:47 am

Boo Machine wrote:
Akuma Johnson wrote: So, do you think Frieza and Frost team up would do any justice in the next arc (if possible)?
As the main antagonists of the next arc? Not really. I wouldn't mind them being a factor in the next arc or the one after, but there isn't really anything new that can be done with Freeza X2 as the main Villain. This team up is really only slightly interesting in the first place because of Frost, who is still fairly new and different enough from Freeza that I feel like he has room to be a cool character in his own right. Good or bad guy.

And Freeza himself is only working as well as he is in this arc because they put him in a position that he has never been put into before. Working with our heros instead of against them, and it's interesting to see the results.
Gotcha. It would be better if Frost actually gets a HUGE character development. That would be ice cold.
Dragon Ball sucks lmao

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:11 am

Freeza hasn't interested me at all. I haven't seen anything after #93, but I have read Herms' summaries and nothing has happened that is extraordinary or makes his return again again anything more than the kind of fan service I don't like.

The only benefit that I see has come from Freeza's return is Gokuu acting more like Gokuu when he is interacting with him. But, Freeza as a character himself? Nope. Nothing interesting.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:14 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Freeza hasn't interested me at all. I haven't seen anything after #93, .
Well if you watched the episodes, you'd see what people are talking about. Obviously reading summaries and seeing the episode in action are two different things.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:40 am

I should add that I wasn't interested in him from the start. Majin Boo was the better choice. I don't care for his antics and his typical evil bastard behaviour which is what he has done so far. I don't even care what his end game is going to be. I have lost interest in the character entirely which is partly the reason why I didn't watch episodes focused on him.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:45 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Majin Boo was the better choice.
I don't see how Majin Boo would have been the better choice, beyond offering us more interesting fights, but even with that I would say that plenty of the other fighters already does what he does. Freeza offers us character based drama, and he's the character who's capable for the most change. Boo never really offered anything interesting for the plot, and story itself.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 am

I'm curious to see how Freeza and Frost's partnership develops; will they be constantly backstabbing one another while exchanging pleasantries or will Freeza be so unapologetically evil that it'll actually give Frost pause.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!