Does anyone actually care about the characters getting erased?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mfwlegend3
Regular

Re: Does anyone actually care about the characters getting erased?

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:05 am

I'll only care once Caulifla is erased. She's been an enjoyable character for me and one of the saving graces for an otherwise poorly constructed tournament. Don't care much for Cabba and Kale.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:16 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Dragon Ball isn't the sort of show where they let mass killings go unaddressed or uncorrected. When was the last time anyone in the present who wasn't evil died and stayed dead?
Android 16. :'(
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:14 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:Android 16. :'(
He was just a robot. :'( But I wonder if that's why they specify that Magetta isn't a robot and say that the U3 warriors are modified?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Dragon Ball isn't the sort of show where they let mass killings go unaddressed or uncorrected. When was the last time anyone in the present who wasn't evil died and stayed dead?
He wanted to kill Goku. That ginger bastard had it coming.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:31 pm

I care about Hitto and I wouldn't be happy to see him gone forever, but, i enjoyed to see the first two universes being erased, it was very funny since they all sucked. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:34 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:
He wanted to kill Goku. That ginger bastard had it coming.
he was a friend of nature :( so he didn't have it coming
Shinda Forever wrote:I care about Hitto and I wouldn't be happy to see him gone forever, but, i enjoyed to see the first two universes being erased, it was very funny since they all sucked. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
but u10 had zama oh wait he is gone,u10 had no elimination because they didn't have black.At least obuni was a nice dude & not a dumbass & basil was pretty cool with his bank animation
    A question to all of you,do you people think the format is the reason why we can't get invested with these new character
    Mostly active on discord.

avasatu
    Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 pm

I'd like Hit, Cabba, Jiren, Dyspo and Toppo to survive, outside of U7. Other than that, I'm ok with all erasures.

GreatSaiyaJeff
    Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:56 pm

With the friendly rivalry between U7 and U6, I know I will definitely feel something when they go. I also had a bit of an attachment with U10 just because of Gowasu, and how his godtuber career fell short.
    "I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Akyon
    Regular

Post by Akyon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:14 pm

I certainly cared when the trio were erased; Bergamo and Basil in particular had a certain charm to themselves with the latter being the man of the first minute, and Bergamo endearing himself by trying to save all the other universes in the exhibition match. That's the one time where Goku's been completely in the wrong and his opponent has been trying to do the right thing. Very odd episode in general.

Actually in all honesty Universe 9 as a whole had the desperate fight for survival feel to me that I didn't get with Universe 10.
    Gowasu was literally the only character I cared about who was destroyed since Muricham was the only U10 focused character in the recruitment arc and he basically got no focus at all in the actual tournament. When Gowasu got erased literally no one in the episode gave the slightest damn. Not Goku, nor Vegeta, nor Beerus, nor Whis, nor even Shin acknowledged the death of someone they had ironically been worried about saving the arc before. Nothing. It was strange.

I know full well I won't care when Universe 4 and 3 get destroyed either, but Universe 11 and 2 have a certain charm to them, albeit they're all still rather throw away as characters. 6 is going to be the only heavy one just because we've had some actual time with them.
    Favourite User quote:
    Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
    1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Arugela
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 am

I don't think it is going to matter. I think they will be unerased or they are really just being transported.. Either way I think the point is to teach the kais a lesson along with the universes as a whole. They are being forced to put their lives in each others hand making them learn a lesson in their natural order in regards to each other. I don't think their will be permanent erasure. It's too against the character of the upper gods so far. It bet you in the end it will be all creative punishment. Which is a theme in dragon ball. It all makes the most sense that way given their portrayed attitudes and constant bickering and the more patient character of the supreme kai, angels, and zeno. All of the past fear of zeno has probably been from their childish behavior in the past. It's the simplest solution. I'm going to assume the upper universes spared are not as bad or will be taught a lesson afterwords somehow if they get out of line. Like being made to test and fix the platform(even showing arrogants but possibly not as bad as the others in general). This whole thing is about lessons, not power or survival. It's all a front.

BTW, an actual erasure could make everyone feel death or non existence, or come back from it with a realization of reality make whole universes learn to stop messing around so much. No matter which way they do it it will all be to teach them all a lesson. they could also have put in goku and universe 7 purposely to win at this point. Or with the foreknowledge they are likely to win and need less punishment or purposely set him as an enemy to get their attention as part of the punishment/correction.
    My fan art:
    Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
    Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
    Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
    GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

Xeztin
    I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:27 am

I don't care at all... in all honesty there should have been about 10 episodes pre-touney dedicated to introducing us to all universes not just during recruitment like with Obuni and his family would be a good example. I dunno, honestly It's also almost an impossible task to make you care in one single arc. I think all they want us to root for is U7, and 6. They want us to fill bad for all of them for fighting for survival. That is what i get from all this. Zen-Oh being a child and showing child emotions insteaf of getting serious like Beerus when he destroys doesn't help either. I think giving him a child personality was the wring way to go, if they wanted to make him neutral they could have went with a spoiled, God, child with the universes fighting to the death for his entertainment. Anything but a pure out plain child. There is no backstory to Zen-Oh whatsoever, how can a being like that not be aware of himself? I don't even think he knows that he is God, he just wants to play.

CJStriker_CBR
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:41 am

Easy Answer ~~~~~~~ YES, BEYOND YES! :thumbup:

Here is why;

I have been a Fan of Comics, Anime, Sci-Fi, TV, Movies, Action, Horror, Fantasy, Video Games and many other areas in Pop Culture and within that is Many Moments of Major Character Intros and the Intro of Other Dimensions and Multiverses too. I am able to Quicky take any new character with even the most minimum info and gain a starting backstory to them and then I work from their when the story gives me more. I am VERY patient when it comes to character development and don't mind small info about a character and then more later as we go on no matter what lenght of time.

So in this Arc I have gain in Quick attachment to Each and Everyone one of these characters and even more so a healthy curiousity towards more of their backstoris ~~~~ Who they are, what a is thier tail, how they gain their level of power, what they are fighting for, their personity in more details, their battles, their very being. It leads be to be excited for those that Toei chooses to explore in the future and even to why other might not be, but it creates right possiblities for Many, Many, Many more episodes down the line!

Also, a health 95-98% of these fighters are NOT BAD GUYS, THEY ARE NOT SUPER-VILLIANS!

So thier is not reason to cheer when they go out, they are basically being put in a situation they hads little time to prepare for and needed to find skill to beat opponents they hand no knowledge over, that is some Dramatic Stuff that builds my connections to each character.

Most are either Heroes or Average regular people with Major Fighting Skills that where Given an ULTIMATUM to either Fight or Die ~~~~~ SO with a set-up like that YEA, I am Going to Care about them and feel Sad when ANY of them Go! :cry: :cry: :cry:

So Yea I Care ALLOT about All those Erased and All Those that Might be in the Future and I HATE The Zenos and the Grand Priest for this Killing of All These Lives! :evil:

I am Supportive ever Character and the Hope that they will be returned back to the Series and Honestly they Need to otherwise Dragon Ball Super will gain a Darker Tone, They need to comeback IMO. :thumbup:
    --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
    Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
    My #1 in DB!
    :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
    http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Chuquita
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:46 am

I think we're getting the boring and easy ending of "and then Team 7 or Team 11 used the free wish from the super dragon balls to wish everyone back".

Because I don't think these erasures are permanent, I'm not worried.

Granted the Trunks arc ended tragically, but I think that's the exception to the rule.
    My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
    ---
    フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheZFighter
    Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:30 pm

It is a shame because, for me at least, this arc had HUUUUUUUGE potential, but unfortunately I'm nonplussed at best about these universes.

I like Universe 6, largely because I love the Hit character and we've gotten to know them a bit, and I like Universe 11, largely because I love Jiren and we've gotten to know them a little bit (and Dyspo has grown on me), otherwise I have absolutely no feelings towards any of the other universes.
    Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

snpaa
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:08 pm

I don't even think we were suppose to care about this tournament. so far it's just been nothing but badly designed characters with terribly choreographed fights getting knocked off by universe 7. I still believe that this tournament ends and/or is interrupted by a twist and we get to the real action/premise/antagonist, I mean no competent staff would make the main attraction this bland and boring unless it was a ruse ....right?

BlueBasilisk
    I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Chuquita wrote:I think we're getting the boring and easy ending of "and then Team 7 or Team 11 used the free wish from the super dragon balls to wish everyone back".

Because I don't think these erasures are permanent, I'm not worried.

Granted the Trunks arc ended tragically, but I think that's the exception to the rule.
    Even in the Future Trunks arc they hit the undo button as best they could by having Trunks and/or Whis split Trunks' own timeline and preventing the events of the arc from happening. Trunks and Mai got everyone back and Trunks got a comrade in arms.

Eire
    Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Chuquita wrote:I think we're getting the boring and easy ending of "and then Team 7 or Team 11 used the free wish from the super dragon balls to wish everyone back".
    My bet is that they will use the wish to restore all 18 universes and then will turn that those 6 were destroyed for a reason. Cue to characters throwing Galaxies at each other.

The sad truth is that audience must know someone to be moved. That's why Cameron made a million cute scenes of nearly every character pershing with Titanic, but another truth is that the attention and time is a finite resource so he had to cut it back. We hardly knew Universe 9 so it din't move me to the slightest- it was as tragic as destruction of Alderaan. On the other hand we had a whole saga to befriend with Universe 10 and their disappearance made me really sad. But so far the only one that could move me more is Universe 6 but you can't kill them after stealing spotlight.
    Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
    Men belong in the kitchen.
    Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

Majin Jator
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:19 pm

I don't think the series is failing at making us care, because i don't think they even trying to do that. The erasure of U9 was given some gravitas not because they should matter to us, but to show that the same can happen to U7, the characters we are supposed to worry about.
    The plan with the battle royale was never about making us feel bad for the other seventy fighters, but to have a lot of asses ready to be kicked by the protagonists. I never deluded myself about that, we are talking about a series where is ok to have the big bad distracted anihilating all the humankind.

Now, a lot can be discussed about if they're making a good job showcasing the U7 warriors...