Opinions on Jiren?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Re: Opinions on Jiren?

Post by Jigurashi » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:43 pm

Melee_Sovereign wrote:Saying a character has no personality is almost always an exaggeration. Jiren has a personality. It's just, at the moment, very simplistic and mysterious. Jiren is someone who's very much to himself. Hit was the same way. Being to yourself and being very reserved, is a personality type. People in real life are like this. It doesn't mean they don't have a personality. In fact, usually it means there's a lot going on in their mind.

Honestly, many of you are way too hard on this franchise.
Even then he isn't even completely the same as Hitto. Had there been others like Jiren I wouldn't really like him all that much. But it's the very fact DB has never had a character just so detached from everything that appeals to me about this character. I've also loved his simplistic design more as this saga has progressed.

FTW395
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FTW395 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Since when is the silent strong trope so universally hated? For a show like Dragonball this is somewhat refreshing to be honest and I don't mind it. Though one could say Hit was the same.

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 pm

FTW395 wrote:Since when is the silent strong trope so universally hated? For a show like Dragonball this is somewhat refreshing to be honest and I don't mind it. Though one could say Hit was the same.
Hey, you're from VBW xD

TekTheNinja
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TekTheNinja » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:32 pm

FTW395 wrote:Since when is the silent strong trope so universally hated? For a show like Dragonball this is somewhat refreshing to be honest and I don't mind it. Though one could say Hit was the same.
I feel like people are missing the point. Hit WAS similar, but he does everything they're trying to accomplish with Jiren, but a thousand times better. In fact when people say it has no personality, it pisses me off because it's so disingenuous and simply incorrect. Hit is actually my favorite new character to come out of Super, but Jiren? Well he's got the same basic trope to him, but he's lacking the unique mannerisms, intonation, fighting style, techniques, and general character that makes Hit excel. Jiren is (currently) a nothing of a character and simply a giant wall as a fighter.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:08 pm

The show really did it's best to build him up in the worst way possible and I had 0 interest in him going into the special. I knew the gist of it: he was going to be super strong and Goku was going to get trashed, which pretty much happened to the letter.

However, once the episodes rolled around, I must say I became quite impressed with him. He still kept his stoic and cold demeanor, but I think to say he has no personality outside of that is dead wrong. He isn't just composed and on top of the situation, but he enjoys it. You can see he likes being strong and showing off his strength, but at the same time, unlike prior antagonists like Cell or Black, he doesn't go overboard with it.
He allows Goku to power up his Genki Dama, even though he could've just finished the fight at any time, not because he's stupid but because he want to defeat his opponent at full power. And how does he do that? With a freaking glare! While Goku is at his strongest. You might even say he outright humilliates Goku, but again, unlike a Freeza or Piccolo, it never falls into sadism.

Then, once Goku reaches his level and begins to gain ground against him, he never loses his temper or becomes worried. In some way, you could say he's actually excited at the prospect of it and gains interest in something for the first time since he was introduced.

So, that way, his characater revolves around strength, not just about being strong. Displaying strength, overcoming strength and proving he's the strongest. He's not a villain and he's not really a hero either.

All this boiling down to... He's Goku. Not the Goku we know, but a Goku who's reached his goal. A Goku who improved so much that there's nothing that can stand against him and has seen it and faced it all. Jiren isn't just a wall that must be overcome trough fighting, but also a mental wall for Goku, who must find himself trough this fight. Ultra Instinct is basically a first step for Goku in becoming more like Jiren: he's calm, quiet and disintrested into anybody but the strongest guy in the room.
In the arc where Goku set-up a Tournament between Universes in order to show off his power and throw down with the best of the best, he stumbled upon this guy who's pushing him into becoming more and more of a powerhouse. But the thing is, Jiren is probably not just going to be defeated trough brute force and the fact the new "form"/"technique" is more of a mental state, bringing along with it a change in the philosophy of the fight, is an indication of that.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see Jiren vs Hit. A battle between brute power and technique/finesse.

Also, Jiren's interest in getting the Super Dragon Balls and not in saving his Universe is a pretty important thing. I have quite an interesting idea of what he might want to wish for, though it is a bit far fetched. I think his wish would be to become LESS powerful, in order to enjoy the thrill of combat again. Really can't think of anything else this guy might desire! (Though probably because we know little about him).

But to close on what I think is an important thing, his role in the story doesn't make his character more interesting. He is a bit more layered than he's given credit for, but not enough to actually want to see HIM. I want to see how other people react to him, how they fight him and how he's eventually going to go down. He's an obstacle more than a person, but at least after the special he gains some personality traits that save him from being a blank shell.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm

I'm starting to appreciate jiren a little bit more by rewatching the special again,he is very diferent as an antogonist,he has a lot of power yet he is not bragging about it and is not interacting with his teammates,he doesn't have an abilty or flashy move to say least,i think this was intentional as well as having a simplistic design
    As time progresses they could probaly tell why he need the Super Db,it doesn't look like he want to restore the universe that was erased or something evil,Draconic bring up an interesting theory for his wish
    Mostly active on discord.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:27 pm

TheMikado wrote:The irony of this post as a Broly fan is tremendous hate Broly has gotten for having "no personality" or a terrible character. Despite having a far far more interesting form, power, backstory, connection to the main cast, fighting style, etc etc etc.

Anyway the idea that this series needs yet another wall is pretty absurd. We have the highest and most number of walls we have ever had sitting in front of the characters. We have Beerus, Whis, 11 other universes and their gods and angels, the grand priests, zen'os bodyguards, and TWO ZENOS! How many more walls do you need. Plus to introduce yet another wall which is literally nothing but a wall when we already have several much more well established and interested walls to deal with seems unnecessary.

The worst part of this wall business is that Goku is tackling this wall the same way he has every other wall he's come up against. He's increased his power to go over the wall. I really really hope Goku bets Jiren in a way that Goku is still less powerful. I'm hoping the manga makes that a reality but we will see.
    I have thought about that; there's going to be a lot of people making the comparison with Broly. You know what I think the difference is? I think Broly is worse BECAUSE they tried to give him a personality and a backstory. Like, the first Broly movie was ultimately building up to "Let's look at this cool new bad guy beat up all the heroes. He'll be so cool and have a high power level and sell loads of toys." But they weren't content with just making him a beatstick, they had to give him an oh-so tragic Gary Stue past, which is ridiculous in contrast to the tone of the character. His backstory could have been alright if they hadn't shoe-horned Goku into it. It's got to be all about Goku.

Meanwhile, the most interesting and refreshing thing about Jiren is how irrelevant Goku is to him. It's unheard of in a Dragon Ball villain outside of the early ones and Buu. As for design, yeah Broly wins that department but they both accomplish the same goal of being intimidating. It says something about the simple and brightly-coloured art of modern Dragon Ball that Jiren can have a menacing presence despite looking like a Give Way sign on legs.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm

I think that he is really strong but wish for more character. Hit started out this way, but keeps showing more of himself everytime he is with Goku. Jiren may get expanded upon later but can't be sure.
    Majinwarman
    So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
    A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MaskedRider
    Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:45 pm

I actually don't mind Jiren's design more each day. Sure its basic but in contrast with a colorful designed crowd with magical girls, robots, and universe six + seven it just fits for me. I would say the worse offender for a design is that dude that knocked Tenshinhan out to be honest.

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:07 am

Draconic wrote:All this boiling down to... He's Goku. Not the Goku we know, but a Goku who's reached his goal. A Goku who improved so much that there's nothing that can stand against him and has seen it and faced it all. Jiren isn't just a wall that must be overcome trough fighting, but also a mental wall for Goku, who must find himself trough this fight. Ultra Instinct is basically a first step for Goku in becoming more like Jiren: he's calm, quiet and disintrested into anybody but the strongest guy in the room.
    That is excellent point, Draconic. And something that I had not considered with Jiren. When you think about it, Jiren really is a representation of version of has reached his peak in power and done everything he can possibly do in terms of becoming as strong as possible. You know what's even more ironic, just before Goku faced Jiren, Goku told Ribiranne that one of his possible wishes should he win the tournament would be wish for someone strong to fight. And now he has that with Jiren. His wish already came true.

Nero<>Akira
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
    Draconic wrote:All this boiling down to... He's Goku. Not the Goku we know, but a Goku who's reached his goal. A Goku who improved so much that there's nothing that can stand against him and has seen it and faced it all. Jiren isn't just a wall that must be overcome trough fighting, but also a mental wall for Goku, who must find himself trough this fight. Ultra Instinct is basically a first step for Goku in becoming more like Jiren: he's calm, quiet and disintrested into anybody but the strongest guy in the room.
    That is excellent point, Draconic. And something that I had not considered with Jiren. When you think about it, Jiren really is a representation of version of has reached his peak in power and done everything he can possibly do in terms of becoming as strong as possible. You know what's even more ironic, just before Goku faced Jiren, Goku told Ribiranne that one of his possible wishes should he win the tournament would be wish for someone strong to fight. And now he has that with Jiren. His wish already came true.
    I think another point he brought up that was interesting was if Jiren wishes to get weaker. that'd be insane characterization & development and it would be interesting to see how Goku reacts to this.
    Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

KidGoku>3
    Beyond Newbie

Post by KidGoku>3 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

The awful design is the major reason why people dislike him I think.

TekTheNinja

Post by TekTheNinja » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 am

KidGoku>3 wrote:The awful design is the major reason why people dislike him I think.
    On the contrary, his character design is one of the few things I currently like about him.
    Nero<>Akira wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:
    I think another point he brought up that was interesting was if Jiren wishes to get weaker. that'd be insane characterization & development and it would be interesting to see how Goku reacts to this.
    So basically he'd be a Dragon Ball version of Saitama? That might be interesting. I'd be into it.

Bullza
    Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:39 am

He's alright I suppose.

He's neither a good or a bad character really. His character design is passable but not particularly great or unique, he's a generic looking grey alien in a generic looking spandex superhero costume.

He doesn't have much in the way of personality, he's the strong and silent type. Kinda like what Hit was but then he had a bit more going for him what with him actually having fun fighting Goku and the whole respect thing which caused him to purposefully lose.

His background status, what we know if it, not interesting so far. He's just a superhero and that's about it, not much to go on.

His abilities....are just usual abilities cranked up to 20. The only somewhat unique thing he has is the eye thing which I actually just think is just him being really fast and not an actual ability,I'm not sure.

He's suitable for the role he's playing. I'm hoping there's more to come eventually and there's certainly plenty of time but he's a decent enough character, just a poor version of Hit who has a much better character design, unique powers, he's an Assassin so that's kinda different and he's not just strong and silent.

Toriyama usually comes out with good characters so I'd be surprised if he doesn't have something going for him.

Hyena_Yamcha
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:42 am

KidGoku>3 wrote:The awful design is the major reason why people dislike him I think.
    it looks like that I'm the only one that likes his design a lot
    My English is poor .

Jigurashi
    Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:29 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
    You're not. I love his design.

GodKaio-Ken
    I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:15 am

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:
    I like it too. I dont like the Pride Trooper Uniforms though I think they look weird.
    Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Legion
    Regular

Post by Legion » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:45 am

:thumbup:

Ilikepictures-meh
    Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:52 am

Bland design, bland character/personality, with his most defining trait being "I'm strong". He's just bland.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Draconic wrote:The show really did it's best to build him up in the worst way possible and I had 0 interest in him going into the special. I knew the gist of it: he was going to be super strong and Goku was going to get trashed, which pretty much happened to the letter.

However, once the episodes rolled around, I must say I became quite impressed with him. He still kept his stoic and cold demeanor, but I think to say he has no personality outside of that is dead wrong. He isn't just composed and on top of the situation, but he enjoys it. You can see he likes being strong and showing off his strength, but at the same time, unlike prior antagonists like Cell or Black, he doesn't go overboard with it.
    He allows Goku to power up his Genki Dama, even though he could've just finished the fight at any time, not because he's stupid but because he want to defeat his opponent at full power. And how does he do that? With a freaking glare! While Goku is at his strongest. You might even say he outright humilliates Goku, but again, unlike a Freeza or Piccolo, it never falls into sadism.

Then, once Goku reaches his level and begins to gain ground against him, he never loses his temper or becomes worried. In some way, you could say he's actually excited at the prospect of it and gains interest in something for the first time since he was introduced.

So, that way, his characater revolves around strength, not just about being strong. Displaying strength, overcoming strength and proving he's the strongest. He's not a villain and he's not really a hero either.

All this boiling down to... He's Goku. Not the Goku we know, but a Goku who's reached his goal. A Goku who improved so much that there's nothing that can stand against him and has seen it and faced it all. Jiren isn't just a wall that must be overcome trough fighting, but also a mental wall for Goku, who must find himself trough this fight. Ultra Instinct is basically a first step for Goku in becoming more like Jiren: he's calm, quiet and disintrested into anybody but the strongest guy in the room.
    In the arc where Goku set-up a Tournament between Universes in order to show off his power and throw down with the best of the best, he stumbled upon this guy who's pushing him into becoming more and more of a powerhouse. But the thing is, Jiren is probably not just going to be defeated trough brute force and the fact the new "form"/"technique" is more of a mental state, bringing along with it a change in the philosophy of the fight, is an indication of that.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see Jiren vs Hit. A battle between brute power and technique/finesse.

Also, Jiren's interest in getting the Super Dragon Balls and not in saving his Universe is a pretty important thing. I have quite an interesting idea of what he might want to wish for, though it is a bit far fetched. I think his wish would be to become LESS powerful, in order to enjoy the thrill of combat again. Really can't think of anything else this guy might desire! (Though probably because we know little about him).

But to close on what I think is an important thing, his role in the story doesn't make his character more interesting. He is a bit more layered than he's given credit for, but not enough to actually want to see HIM. I want to see how other people react to him, how they fight him and how he's eventually going to go down. He's an obstacle more than a person, but at least after the special he gains some personality traits that save him from being a blank shell.
    Pretty much how I feel, but explained much better than anything I could say. Jiren is growing on me, mostly for the simple fact that they've given him more to do. He is still boring and I'm sure if he didn't have Super's best animation team behind him that his fights would be boring too. I wish that they had at least done something unique with his uniform or his appearance. At this point he is literally HYPE: The Character, but he at least plays off of Goku well, and there is something more to him, just waiting for the writers to bring it out.
    Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-