Things that grind your gears

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Things that grind your gears

Post by Kanassa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:34 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Kanassa wrote:Wait, Scott McNeil voiced Piccolo once?
Umm... he was the original FUNimation voice actor for Piccolo :). He voiced the character from 1996-1998 in the 53 edited dubbed episodes and the first three movies. He then continued on in the role in the alternate DBZ English dub contracted by the European market.
Damn, I'm never gonna be able to looks at Piccolo without thinking of Stork...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:50 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Umm... he was the original FUNimation voice actor for Piccolo :). He voiced the character from 1996-1998 in the 53 edited dubbed episodes and the first three movies. He then continued on in the role in the alternate DBZ English dub contracted by the European market.
He even voiced piccolo in Gintama's DBZ parody.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Kanassa wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:
Who is Stork?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
VegettoEX wrote: Umm... he was the original FUNimation voice actor for Piccolo :). He voiced the character from 1996-1998 in the 53 edited dubbed episodes and the first three movies. He then continued on in the role in the alternate DBZ English dub contracted by the European market.
Who is Stork?
Cartoon Character. Also a green guy.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 am

These were the first two things I saw on a Twitter post about Masako Nozawa's birthday.

1. Goku should be voiced by a man, not some old lady

2. No, English Goku is just a ripoff of Superman

These are both Wrong Takes and it grinds my gears when people try to pit the two against each other.

I shouldn't have to explain why the first one is bullshit on this site. The second one might have a point if they're talking specifically about the late 90s Funimation Z dub, but that's just being wilfully ignorant of the last two decades of progress and a more faithful interpretation of the character from Kai onwards.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:08 am

Every time I think back to Togama in Super

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Fans that can't stand characters being ridiculiced and feel that they need to be workshiped, respected, licked their toes and being badasses 24/7 (Vegeta fans being the worst offenders).
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:58 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Fans that can't stand characters being ridiculiced and feel that they need to be workshiped, respected, licked their toes and being badasses 24/7 (Vegeta fans being the worst offenders).
Fans that can't stand characters being liked and feel like they have to ridiculed, put down and insulted 24/7 (Anti-Caulifla fans being the worst offenders).
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:00 pm

That stupid Gohan Blanco meme. :problem:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Fans that can't stand characters being ridiculiced and feel that they need to be workshiped, respected, licked their toes and being badasses 24/7 (Vegeta fans being the worst offenders).
Fans that can't stand characters being liked and feel like they have to ridiculed, put down and insulted 24/7 (Anti-Caulifla fans being the worst offenders).
Honestly, it is cuz of that I just stopped going on the main DBS thread. It is at some points I think to myself do these people realise they're talking about fictional cartoon characters? Why get so angry over it to the point people are then resulting in throwing in curse words at them like the C-word. Fanbase just lacks maturity it is quite sad really.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Honestly, it is cuz of that I just stopped going on the main DBS thread. It is at some points I think to myself do these people realise they're talking about fictional cartoon characters? Why get so angry over it to the point people are then resulting in throwing in curse words at them like the C-word. Fanbase just lacks maturity it is quite sad really.
I've tried to follow that example. It gets so frustrating sometimes, but I'm a news junkie too. :silent:

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:29 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:That stupid Gohan Blanco meme. :problem:
Never heard about that, what's the meme exactly?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:That stupid Gohan Blanco meme. :problem:
Never heard about that, what's the meme exactly?
This explains it pretty well: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gohan-blanco It's a recent strain of shitposting I just find really obnoxious.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:42 pm

Snobby elitist who critique every little detail of Anime/Movies/Games, and that keeps them from enjoying something fun and simple like Dragon Ball because it isn't deep and thought provoking. :roll:
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

PelicanDynasty
Beyond Newbie

Post by PelicanDynasty » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:53 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:Snobby elitist who critique every little detail of Anime/Movies/Games, and that keeps them from enjoying something fun and simple like Dragon Ball because it isn't deep and thought provoking. :roll:
DB can 100% be thought provoking, as shown by the fact that people have been talking about it for decades now.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:06 pm

PelicanDynasty wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:Snobby elitist who critique every little detail of Anime/Movies/Games, and that keeps them from enjoying something fun and simple like Dragon Ball because it isn't deep and thought provoking. :roll:
DB can 100% be thought provoking, as shown by the fact that people have been talking about it for decades now.
Maybe I should have used the word "complex", I consider DB a very entertaining but simple story. But some people think a simple story can't be considered good.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:34 pm

Exactly.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:39 am

Dragon Ball does it again by changing the face of anime where anime conversations are now reduced to "bad writing" "mary / gary stu" "asspull" and in some rare cases, repeating the studio's name

ProtoTrunks76

Post by ProtoTrunks76 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:07 pm

How the Potara fusion is no longer a (normally) permanent fusion
Because, now Fusion battles are gonna play out the same way:
> Two characters are forced to fuse
> They're told that they can only stay fused for X amount of time
> They fight and dominate the opponent for a good chunk of the battle
> But, rather than using the remaining time they have to finish the job
> They, instead, use that time to fuck around some more
> Only for the Fusion to wear off right when they do get around to finishing the job
> And, they're all shocked and surprised, for some reason...

Now, the Potara is just a Fusion Dance with little-to-no consequence. If they really wanted to use a timed fusion, they should've just went with the Fusion Dance
Don't use Formula 1 Race-cars to chase Deadly Androids

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:31 pm

I hate when people say that Toriyama has forgotten things even though he never forgot about them like Trunks having a tail and Lunch.