Has One Piece surpassed Dragon Ball or is DB still king?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Has One Piece surpassed Dragon Ball or is DB still king?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:33 am

Man, I wanna check out One Piece on FunimationNow, but damn, it'll take half of my life to watch this thing. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but there's just way too much.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:39 pm

kinisking wrote:I don't know why everyone's comparing manga sales only considering there are so many other factors to popularity.
Yeah, I agree. Like even as a huge One Piece fan, Naruto is a lot more popular in the West than One Piece is despite it's insane Japanese manga sales.

One Piece never really took off here, perhaps it would've if not for 4kids or getting a Saturday night block on Adult Swim, but yeah.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:53 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Man, I wanna check out One Piece on FunimationNow, but damn, it'll take half of my life to watch this thing. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but there's just way too much.
I'd recommend you go with the manga. Not only is OP very long, it also starts getting really good like 100 episods in IMO, so it's kind of difficult to watch from the start.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Man, I wanna check out One Piece on FunimationNow, but damn, it'll take half of my life to watch this thing. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but there's just way too much.
I got into the series with the funi dub in like 08, it's def worth watching. Of course, it took me 2-3 months to catch up to the sub at the time, though lol. Gotta be a marathon watcher if you want to get into the story fast, but eh I'd recommend the funi dub even if you only watch the first few episodes then swap to manga etc because it's a really good dub and very faithful to the original.
emi_b7 wrote:
I'd recommend you go with the manga. Not only is OP very long, it also starts getting really good like 100 episods in IMO, so it's kind of difficult to watch from the start.
I actually got into the series due to the Funidub and early One Piece, for me at least, hooked me line and sinker so I guess it depends on the person. Like even the first 5 episodes was enough to draw me in.

Faisal Shourov
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Faisal Shourov » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:17 pm

In Japan One Piece is has been the king since Mid 2000's. Worldwide, Dragon Ball is by far the biggest anime based franchise and nothing comes close. Not even Naruto and One Piece combined. Dragon Ball is a cultural icon across the globe
Toyotarō: … I get the feeling I’ve just heard something amazing (laughs). Lord Beerus and Whis turn up in Dragon Ball Super, and have become an unsurpassable wall for Goku and the gang. What do the two of them mean to you?

Toriyama: Well… First off, right now I don’t have any plans for Goku and Vegeta to surpass Beerus and Whis.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:52 am

One Piece has definitely surpassed Dragon Ball in sales, story, characters, (I don’t know about battles), and the lore. Dragon Ball is inferior to One Piece in these aspects but it is kept simple enough for the younger audience to understand which is a key.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:18 am

Without reading any of the comments, are you really asking this question in a dragon ball forum? I'm sure if we post this question in a One Piece forum, the answer would almost definitely be yes.
El Conejo Malo

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:55 am

Bardo117 wrote:Without reading any of the comments, are you really asking this question in a dragon ball forum? I'm sure if we post this question in a One Piece forum, the answer would almost definitely be yes.
Only if we assume it's impossible to be fair and at least partly objective.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 am

No way in hell would I ever wait 100 episodes for something to get really good.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:00 pm

ABED wrote:
No way in hell would I ever wait 100 episodes for something to get really good.
Being really good after 100 eps doesn't mean it was bad before that mark.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:37 pm

ABED wrote:No way in hell would I ever wait 100 episodes for something to get really good.
One Piece is good when it starts. Think of it like DB, it starts small and gradually gets bigger and better as time goes on.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:10 pm

Yeah, but it didn't take 100 episodes to get really good. I understand all that and never said it wasn't good at the start. DB doesn't get good because it got bigger.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:43 pm

Not really interested in figures, sales, etc, personally. I like to trust my own opinion, regardless of how popular or unpopular it may be...

I discovered Dragon Ball when I was like 9 or 10 on Cartoon Network and I have stuck with it loyally every since, whereas, despite being interested by adverts for it on Carton Network/ Toonami when I was like 14 or 15, I didn't actually sit down and watch One Piece until my late teens/ early 20s. Although I thoroughly enjoyed what I saw of One Piece, at the age and stage of life I am at now, I'm not really able to commit to it in the same way I committed to Dragon Ball and Pokemon as a child. Dragon Ball will always be number 1 for me because of how big a part of my life it has been, but had I discovered One Piece at a similar time, it would be a close call either way.

I've always liked the way One Piece has the main cast and manages to keep them all involved. I wish they'd have done something similar with the original Z Fighters, Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiatozu, Yajirobe, Piccolo, etc.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:47 pm

DB isn't an ensemble show like Star Trek where even though there's a main character, each character serves a vital and specific purpose. DB is a story with a main protagonist, like Batman.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:02 pm

ABED wrote:Yeah, but it didn't take 100 episodes to get really good. I understand all that and never said it wasn't good at the start. DB doesn't get good because it got bigger.
If someone watches/reads One Piece from the start and finds it good and then, after a certain number of eps/chapters like for example 100, says "wow, this series is now even better than it was up until now!", what exactly is the problem? The only problem would if it actually wasn't good up until then. Dragon Ball also wasn't at its best from the start, I would personally say the "really good" moment started for me when Piccolo Daimao showed up (which, by coincidence, is around episode 100 of Dragon Ball, btw).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:28 pm

Nothing, I was simply taken aback by someone saying "It gets REALLY good after 100 episodes." It's a weird selling point. I'm well aware that he didn't mean it wasn't good until then, but it still strikes me as odd to say something gets great that far into a story. He doesn't say that it's good off the bat or it doesn't take long to find its footing. In response to someone saying they aren't sure they want to invest the time into a long series, they sell OP as a series that gets really good around 100 episodes.

By the way, the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai is still one of my absolute favorites. It's so much fun. That arc starts 14 episodes in.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:00 pm

I honestly can't believe the series is at 807 Chapters! That's incredible! Been running for 20 years now! What the hell goes on in that show lol

But I guess Dragon Ball ran at a much faster pace. 519 Chapters from 1984-1995, while One Piece is at 807 Chapters from 1997-2017.
El Conejo Malo

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Bardo117 wrote:I honestly can't believe the series is at 807 Chapters! That's incredible! Been running for 20 years now! What the hell goes on in that show lol

But I guess Dragon Ball ran at a much faster pace. 519 Chapters from 1984-1995, while One Piece is at 807 Chapters from 1997-2017.
One Piece is actually at 883 chapters now. It sounds crazy and very intimidating to get into but it's not once you start to watch or read it. Oda is such a great writer cause you'd think things would be messy with that much content but it's not.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:52 pm

sintzu wrote:
Bardo117 wrote:I honestly can't believe the series is at 807 Chapters! That's incredible! Been running for 20 years now! What the hell goes on in that show lol

One Piece is actually at 883 chapters now. It sounds crazy and very intimidating to get into but it's not once you start to watch or read it. Oda is such a great writer cause you'd think things would be messy with that much content but it's not.
Ehh, I think the post time-skip stuffs been pretty mediocre. I haven't been intently following the latest arc but him making Sanji's already dark backstory even worse feels like self-parody in a world where Joe Chill shoots everyone's parents in one way or another.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:38 pm

making Sanji's already dark backstory even worse feels like self-parody in a world where Joe Chill shoots everyone's parents in one way or another.
Haha, that's really clever.