How you would rewrite DBGT ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

How you would rewrite DBGT ?

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:55 am

I tried to search for this Topic but couldn't find anything related to Dragon Ball GT and since there is no dedicated section for Dragon Ball GT like Super or Kai do, I hope my topic don't get locked :oops: if a subject like this does already exist please move this topic in the right section :o

So like you can see in the Title how you would rewrite GT for make it Good ? What you will change/add/remove ?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is how I would have seen things

Arc search of the Black Star Dragon Ball + Arc Bebi:

First portion of the Show the adventure and fetch of the Dragon Ball. Ok let's have the son of katats had created a first set of Dragon Ball before he split into Piccolo Daimao & Kami-Sama but the set wouldn't have impact on earth whatsoever.

Since there is no repercution and thus urgency Goku & Vegeta said that the kids will fetch them, like that this will be great opportunity for them to gain their own experience through adventure.

The people select for this task would be Uub, Trunks, Goten and Pan (I want to add also Marron & Bra but I don't think everyone would agree) everything happen similarly to the serie but instead Legdic join the gang and become Uub rival.

They succeed their task but Bebi come into play and instead of choosing Vegeta he Choose Gohan (For a more emphasis drama between Gohan and Goku and Pan) There Vegeta and Goku have great difficulty against a powerful Bebi Gohan.

Here we can have Piccolo die by the Hand of Bebi Gohan (who also thanks to Gohan brain come up with way to increase the half Saiyan body strenght) imagine the cheer drama Gohan killing his former teacher and dad by interim.

After Bebi defeat by a collegial effort of Vegeta and Goku everything is back to normal minus Piccolo who choose to stay dead and watch over Hell.

Arc Rise of Hell and Super A-17:

For the second great arc instead of this Super A-17 being created from two A-17. I choose Ozotto has the one who mess with Hell (Ozotto is a shapeshifter Majin dubbed also as Super Monster) so Imagine him being one pain in ass with manipulation and deception, also let's give him a power on par to Majuub and both Vegeta/Goku SSJ4.

Here with all the hell resident coming to play on earth I'll reintroduce A-17 and A-18 and make them undergoes a power up thanks to Bulma and Gohan studdies on the Brutz Ray giving to their power infinite cells higher specs. So A-17 will have the design of Super A-17 but here served to beat people as powerful as Cell or Freeza, let's not forget A-18 who would become Super A-18.

All earthling would have their great moment and mostly Yamcha dealing with Nappa and Gero.

And I'll have Pan and Bra goes Super Saiyan as well.

Arc of the Shadow Dragons:

For the last arc I will not change much perhaps just change several design of Shadow Dragons and make them more Badass. And instead of Gogeta SSJ4 I'll have Vegeto SSJ4. Perhaps why not also move the battle on more than one planet and scater the Shadow Dragon around the Universe.

With Yi Xing Long being on New Namek (Ding Dong you can see it coming the Power Up of the Shadow Dragon thanks to the Namekian Dragon Balls).

As for the ending Goku who died saving the Universe with a Universal Genkidama is brought back to life once more but is taken to the Ryushinkai with Porunga and Shenron. The Kaioshin finishing with a ligne that the Era of the DRAGON BALLS have ended and Vegeta have the final sentence with let's face a new era without them farewell Son Goku.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is how I would have seen Dragon Ball GT, now let's discusse my vision as well as yours let me know in the comment how you would have seen Dragon Ball GT ?
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: How you would rewrite DBGT ?

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:57 am

I'm not a big fan of comparing the execution of GT to our ideas because it's an unfair comparison. Writing is all about execution. Ideas are relatively simple. Hell, the broad ideas for GT were interesting, but what it lacked was good execution. That said, the two big changes I would have liked to have seen are 1) Pan be used for more than a damsel in distress. I don't mind her childishness, but the writers could've done a better job of showing her growing up, and 2) I would've liked seeing the other heroes get in on the fight against the Evil Dragons.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:37 am

I somehow agree that's unfair and more now that Dragon Ball GT is done, but here to be fair I compare idea to idea. Because there is several idea in DBGT that I disliked and those idea were also poorly executed.

Agreed also in your second idea with the other heroes fighting the Shadow/Evil Dragons. :thumbup:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 am

Why don't you want there to be a sense of urgency in collecting the DB's?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:34 am

Because the idea of the Black Star Dragon Ball linked to Earth Destruction when they scatter to the Universe is utter idioty.

Whoever came up with this idea need to slap him/herself. And beside with no need of urgency we can have character developpment and time to have good battle without rush, thus having more adventure in space with Uub, Pan, Trunks, Bra, Marron and Goten. I always wanted to know more about the planet we get to see in Dragon Ball GT their culture their people their animals and plant.

Before Landing the team on M2 and thus begin the Bebi arc I would have the search of the Black Star Dragon Ball being at least around 30 episode with at least 4 episode per planet visited. Having the Para Brothers act like a Team Rocket wannabe for comic relief but distil until landing to planet Luud that they were just pawn under Doltaki and Cardinal Mutchy Mutchy order.

And give also Ledgic more time to shine damn speak about a wasted character with great potential.

Then the all fun and joke of the first 30 episode turn into a more serious show a la Cyborg/Cell saga until the climax on a revived Plant Planet with Goku and Vegeta giving the finishing blow into Bebi.

Oh another idea who I just came up having Giru under Para Brothers control, for adding a Scooby-Do/Team Rocket vibe in the adventure.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 am

Why is it idiocy? You do need urgency for the plot to develop and for there to be a sense of stakes. Why are they going throughout the galaxy if there's no need to go? While the idea of staying on a planet and getting to know it and the characters better makes some sense, there's also the issue of pacing.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 am

Idiocy because I FIND bullshit the idea of the Black Star DB to be link to earth destruction how a stranded son of katats without Memories of his own planet and past would achieve such prowess by creating a set of Dragon Ball and that same exact set of Dragon Ball to be link to a Massive planet which are Earth ? :problem:

Nothink here makes sense at all ! :wtf:

And in the first place there was no need to search for the original Dragon Ball in the first serie Goku could have said Bulma a total no to her wish, there was no need of urgency either to go after those Dragon Ball mainly considering what Bulma wanted to wish for lol

My proposal for remake this part of Dragon Ball GT is to takes into account Dende a young Kami experimenting something on the Black Star Dragon Ball and then the set of Dragon Ball scatter into space, Dende then ask to retrieve them just for the sakes that those Dragon Balls doesn't land in wrong hand simple plot no need to make the earth a remote bomb and that allow to have a insight of dendé young Kami duty doing mistakes.

Popo and Piccolo could also be here scolding him, or at least giving their advice on the mistake and show more insight of Piccolo Dende relationship or Popo Dende relationship.

I'd rather start with a simple plot but finish to something complicate with Bebi plot revenge on Saiyan, a mistake leading to a threat. :thumbup:

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 am

In broad stokes:

Keep Gokû as an adult. Wish away some of his power or something if you need him on the team.

Give Pan ssj1 and ssj2. Have her more in line personality wise with her EoZ self. She doesn't need to be a bad distressed damsel version of Bulma. She's not even related to Bulma.

Give Trunks a more fashionable outfit. The neck bandana and capri pants look awful even by 1996 standards.

I may think of other stuff too, but those are by top three.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am

I don't know how to respond to your idiocy comment. That's seems awfully arbitrary to me. It makes as much sense as him creating any set of DB's. I don't see how the size of the Earth makes a difference.
And in the first place there was no need to search for the original Dragon Ball in the first serie Goku could have said Bulma a total no to her wish, there was no need of urgency either to go after those Dragon Ball mainly considering what Bulma wanted to wish for lol
It was a gag manga then. Plus the urgency in GT came about as a result of the use of the DB's. No one had used the DB's yet. Why are the characters in your scenario searching for them in space?

A ticking clock is just good drama. I don't see why you have an issue with that. It's not that complex.

And finally, why is Goku not part of the team that goes into space? DB is Goku's story.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:03 am

No no ABED the set who scatter into space are the Black Star Dragon Ball those set are not at all connected to the EVIL/SHADOW Dragon Ball in the later part of the serie.

Why having them scatter into space, because there is no more threat on earth and because they are son of katats Dragon Ball, so they are at least more powerful than Kami Original Red Star Dragon Ball, so at least this part of the idea is not stupid for me. Of course the size of the Earth makes a difference, because the earth is huge, how you can link something that huge to tiny crystal wishing balls, mainly if the said person who created the Black Star Dragon Ball are kinda amnesiac of his past.

I suggest you to go read piccolo and kami-sama backstory, read their story about them when they were a single person before the split, go read also that both Kami-sama and Piccolo have no memories of their past, go read also what's Popo said about Kami's past.

Both in manga and anime wise Dragon Ball GT create a inconstency in that regard and something idiot. :crazy:

And speaking about the manga, I know it was a gag manga, yet Dragon Ball Super is wonderfully portraying this part of the manga with the likes of Monaka and Jaco, which is far greater than oh the Black Star Dragon Ball went into space but the earth would be destroyed if we don't gather them. *insert facepalm piccolo meme here*
Last edited by Bebi Hatchiyack on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am

Goku veers off into space, finds Dragon Balls in space mirroring his first adventure. Runs into similar challenges, but that play more into the team dynamic. They return to earth with a villain they defeated in space already taking over the planet. An old foe returns from the dead, and brings with him an army of defeated DB villains. Goku and friends defeat foe. Then when they summon the Dragon Balls once more, each Ball unleashed a dark dragon from the negative energy. Goku fights each of the Dragons, each defined by the circumstances in which Goku originally found the DB's.

Wow, what a great story.... Sounds perfect on paper. Shame it was poorly executed.
El Conejo Malo

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:26 am

The size of the planet has nothing to do with the wishing power. Your reasons for not liking it are entirely arbitrary.

I'm having trouble understanding your posts. I don't think English is your first language.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:38 am

Yes it's not it's my second language, French is my first language.
Chuquita wrote:In broad stokes:

Keep Gokû as an adult. Wish away some of his power or something if you need him on the team.

Give Pan ssj1 and ssj2. Have her more in line personality wise with her EoZ self. She doesn't need to be a bad distressed damsel version of Bulma. She's not even related to Bulma.

Give Trunks a more fashionable outfit. The neck bandana and capri pants look awful even by 1996 standards.

I may think of other stuff too, but those are by top three.
Yes I do think there were some weird fashion taste in the show. Goten weird hair, Trunks outfit, Pan and Bra also, Vegeta Haircut too (Not speaking about the damn moustache lol)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:51 am

For those of you who don't like Goku being returned to his child body, why don't you like it? That seems like such a huge sticking point for a lot of you.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:02 pm

ABED wrote:For those of you who don't like Goku being returned to his child body, why don't you like it? That seems like such a huge sticking point for a lot of you.
For me:

-the whole comedic point imo of having an adult in a kid body is the contrast between the personality and body. It's part of what makes Detective Conan work. Gokû is already childish so having him be turned into a kid is way less funny than say Vegeta, Gohan, or Piccolo.

-getting rid of adult Gokû robs the audience of fanservice that GT adult Trunks fails to replace imo.

-they never get around to wishing him back to normal. We don't see base adult Gokû again until the final scene in gt.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Also the execution of how Goku is turned into kids

We have been told that Kami's Lockout is unreachable by people who are not welcomed ? So Pilaf and his gang wouldn't have been able to reach the famous sky temple. First cringy issu of DBGT I've got.

And also Dragon Ball GT could have been a Boruto before it came out. Uub was trained by Goku to replace him yet it's Goku who goes into adventure ? Goten is made as a joke and I don't even speak about how Bra and Marron are left like they are just trash.

So much potential wasted, we could have focused on the young generation and having only Goku and Vegeta just at the final of the arc cleaning the kids mess and make them learn from their mistake.

And finally If I want to see kid goku I watch the begining of the story with him and bulma first encounter. :problem:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Also the execution of how Goku is turned into kids

We have been told that Kami's Lockout is unreachable by people who are not welcomed ? So Pilaf and his gang wouldn't have been able to reach the famous sky temple. First cringy issu of DBGT I've got.

And also Dragon Ball GT could have been a Boruto before it came out. Uub was trained by Goku to replace him yet it's Goku who goes into adventure ? Goten is made as a joke and I don't even speak about how Bra and Marron are left like they are just trash.

So much potential wasted, we could have focused on the young generation and having only Goku and Vegeta just at the final of the arc cleaning the kids mess and make them learn from their mistake.

And finally If I want to see kid goku I watch the begining of the story with him and bulma first encounter. :problem:
That "Kami's temple can't be reached by unwelcome people" was thrown out long before GT.

Of course it's Goku who goes on the adventure. It's HIS story. And I don't care to focus on the next generation. Passing the torch in a long running series is a better sounding idea than it ever ends up being.

By the way, he's not actually a kid. He's an adult in a kid's body.
It's part of what makes Detective Conan work.
Except that was part of that show since its inception. Goku grew into an adult.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 pm

I'm not a writer, so I don't think me rewriting anything will improve GT, but there is one thing I would change. I would turn Goku back into an adult after the Baby arc. I'm fine with the twist, but the fact that it lasts all the way until the end of GT ruins it for me. It's just... weird.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:35 am

Black Star arc :

I'd have the wish be something like Pilaf wishing for $$$ instead.

Each ball would be followed by a team which would be : Goku&Uub, Vegeta&Trunks, Gohan&Goten, Piccolo&Pan, Tien&Yamcha, Buu&#17, Krillin&#18.

Cell & Buu were villains who took over others in a way or another so I'd have Baby be a set villain instead of him taking over someone.

Each planet will have its own villain(s) with Vegeta&Trunks facing off and ending Baby on their planet.

In this arc Vegeta gets Ssj3 while Goten and Trunks get Ssj2.

Janemba arc :

Like the Super 17 arc, there's a massive break out from Hell due to "unknown" reasons.

Gohan would get a rematch with Cell while Vegeta gets Freeza.

Movie villains would be included in this such as Garlic Jr, Turles, Slug, Cooler, Broly & Bojack.

While this is going on, Goku is at the elder Kai's planet getting his potential unlocked due to him feeling Janemba's power which results in Ssj4.

Janemba starts out a bit stronger than Ssj4 Goku but he eventually manages to get the upper hand and take him down.

The Shadow Dragons arc :

Same as the above, each team would go after one Dragon but I'd change the teams up such as Goku&Vegeta and Gohan&Piccolo.

I'd change some of the dragons to be more serious and have better designs.

Like Goku, Vegeta had his potential unlocked and can now use Ssj4. (It's not actually a new form but what a full blooded Saiyan looks like using their full power)

Both are completely overpowered by Omega, even with the help of everyone else.

Omega decides to go for blood and picks Pan as his first victom but when she opens her eyes an impaled Goku is in front of her, telling her everything will be alright.

Like against Raditz, Vegeta holds onto Omega Shenron to allow Gohan to kill him with an upgraded dragon fist that avenges Goku but also results in Vegeta being killed. Vegeta tells them that being dead he'll finally be able to fight all out with Goku in the afterlife.

Under Piccolo's watchful eye, a new generation takes its place as the universe's heroes as everyone works to not only train new humans but also find aliens willing to help if the day came when they needed it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:58 am

MajinMan wrote:I'm not a writer, so I don't think me rewriting anything will improve GT, but there is one thing I would change. I would turn Goku back into an adult after the Baby arc. I'm fine with the twist, but the fact that it lasts all the way until the end of GT ruins it for me. It's just... weird.
I agree. I would have liked it if SSJ4 "magic" broke through the wish, so that when Goku reverted back he would be an adult again.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical