"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue May 29, 2018 6:36 pm

desirecampbell wrote:Vegeta_Sama, prince212 - settle down, hug it out, and start talking like friends, or I'm going to lock this whole thing down. In fact, if you want to continue the discussion about Toyotaro's tracing, there's a new thread just for that here.

-edit- Looks like Prince has thought better of his actions, good on ya.
It looks like you came a bit late, boss
Get Fucked, C_unt

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue May 29, 2018 9:03 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
This looks very wrong to me lol
JazzMazz wrote:Yeah, Toyo really had a problem with perception this chapter. Even cooler stuff like this isn't well executed.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The foreshortening is really not well done.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Perspective being weird.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Whatever the hell is going on with Vegeta's muscles here.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
And most famously, neck.
For the Gohan fighting one, I guess that guy is a little too far back, but since it's not a super important panel, I don't think it's very offensive.

As for the Vegeta one, since I've seen people comment on this one a few times now....I just want to say that it looks great. Vegeta is charging forward at intense speed, and that's conveyed very well here specifically due to the position of his head in relation to his body.

The rest look just fine, but to each their own, I guess.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu May 31, 2018 4:54 pm

Miracles wrote:I'm going to laugh if Toyotaro gets fired.
Fixed for you man.

Back to the thread topic: I'm enjoying that in the manga is not U11, U7 and U7 eliminating people, it seems mixed between other universes so far.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 pm

Bonus pages from DBS Volume 6 have found their way online. Since Viz isn't going to sell these to us for another two years at this rate, I hope it's safe to post them here.

Toriyama's corrections:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

In-between chapter dividers:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Credit to @taddlelegacy on Twitter for the translations.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Thu May 31, 2018 9:53 pm

batistabus wrote:Bonus pages from DBS Volume 6 have found their way online. Since Viz isn't going to sell these to us for another two years at this rate, I hope it's safe to post them here.

Toriyama's corrections:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Wow Toyotaro drew Yamcha pretty damn good! Now it makes me more annoyed at how he is not in the Tournament of Power.... Fuck Toriyama for making that decision tbh :(

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:28 pm

I think it's safe to say Toriyama has more to do with the manga than he did with the anime.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:02 am

batistabus wrote:Bonus pages from DBS Volume 6 have found their way online. Since Viz isn't going to sell these to us for another two years at this rate, I hope it's safe to post them here.

Toriyama's corrections:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

These look fantastic, especially Yamcha. This gives me hope that Toyotaro can really deliver when he gets around to the final chapters of the tournament.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:18 am

Lol belmod has a point. What could he have done if jiren refused? Angels dont take parts in situations, so belmod was fucked if hiren rejected.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:32 am

batistabus wrote:Bonus pages from DBS Volume 6 have found their way online.
Nice , thanks .
I’m curious about the back cover , usually is related to the main cover theme with different characters , so I hope some Roshi , freeza etc .. it’s a possibility.
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:58 am

emperior wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Goku and Freeza looks like they brawled
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Oh Hai Caulifla
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ToP officially starts next month
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wow, Caulifla looks gorgeous in the manga. Very modern-Toriyama like, I wonder if it was Toyotaro who drew this Caulifla. If it was Toyo, props to him. He's definitely improving over time!
Proof I'm not blind. I called it as soon as I saw it that Caulifla that she looked way too Toriyama-like to be Toyotaro's work. I hoped that was Toyotaro, but this doesn't surprise me at all. The Krillin stuff also looked different from Toyotaro's normal stuff and I remember a few people pointing out how Krillin looked like in the original manga in that particular part. Of course he did, considering it was Toriyama drawing him!

I am also quite sure Toriyama has handled a few corrections for Android 18 in the last chapter, as some of the drawings of her looked way too Toriyama to be Toyotaro's only.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:54 am

Going to be a let down for me if Vegeta and Toppo don't get their anime forms.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:56 am

The drawings look good, gotta give it to Toyo. It's a shame that most of the time his art doesn't pop out that much due to schedule problems
Get Fucked, C_unt

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:02 am

batistabus wrote: [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Can we take this as official proof that all the angels are siblings? Not that I don't think most people have accepted this by now, but it's nice to have something that explicitly says so. Also, Cus being the oldest is a joke you could probably see coming from a mile away (it does kinda match up with their father's looks I guess). I like that it surprises Gowas though.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:49 am

emperior wrote: Proof I'm not blind. I called it as soon as I saw it that Caulifla that she looked way too Toriyama-like to be Toyotaro's work. I hoped that was Toyotaro, but this doesn't surprise me at all. The Krillin stuff also looked different from Toyotaro's normal stuff and I remember a few people pointing out how Krillin looked like in the original manga in that particular part. Of course he did, considering it was Toriyama drawing him!

I am also quite sure Toriyama has handled a few corrections for Android 18 in the last chapter, as some of the drawings of her looked way too Toriyama to be Toyotaro's only.
I thought the same about the Kuririn expressions, and I thought the shading on Jiren looked a bit more Jaco-esque than I'd expect from Toyo.

I'm glad that Toriyama still cares enough to draw things himself. It's great to be able to see more of his modern work, and it seems to help Toyotaro a lot with his character modeling.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:59 am

batistabus wrote:
emperior wrote: Proof I'm not blind. I called it as soon as I saw it that Caulifla that she looked way too Toriyama-like to be Toyotaro's work. I hoped that was Toyotaro, but this doesn't surprise me at all. The Krillin stuff also looked different from Toyotaro's normal stuff and I remember a few people pointing out how Krillin looked like in the original manga in that particular part. Of course he did, considering it was Toriyama drawing him!

I thought the same about the Kuririn expressions, and I thought the shading on Jiren looked a bit more Jaco-esque than I'd expect from Toyo.

I'm glad that Toriyama still cares enough to draw things himself. It's great to be able to see more of his modern work, and it seems to help Toyotaro a lot with his character modeling.
It definitely helps Toyotaro a lot! I am glad Toriyama did those corrections. They don't even look like they were as necessary as the corrections he did to Zamasu, but these corrections were clearly precious for Toyotaro to use as a reference for later.
When I first saw Zamasu's corrections by Toriyama, I was hoping he could provide more of them because they really help Toyotaro elevate his work to get closer to Toriyama's art style. I still wish Toriyama could have done more of these for all the other characters, such as Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, 17 etcetera.
Maybe Toriyama is fine with how Toyotaro draws the other characters, but I would just like it if Toyotaro's style got closer and closer to Toriyama's modern style.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:24 am

emperior wrote:
emperior wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:Goku and Freeza looks like they brawled
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Oh Hai Caulifla
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

ToP officially starts next month
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Wow, Caulifla looks gorgeous in the manga. Very modern-Toriyama like, I wonder if it was Toyotaro who drew this Caulifla. If it was Toyo, props to him. He's definitely improving over time!
Proof I'm not blind. I called it as soon as I saw it that Caulifla that she looked way too Toriyama-like to be Toyotaro's work. I hoped that was Toyotaro, but this doesn't surprise me at all. The Krillin stuff also looked different from Toyotaro's normal stuff and I remember a few people pointing out how Krillin looked like in the original manga in that particular part. Of course he did, considering it was Toriyama drawing him!

I like how Toriyama is editing Toyotaro's work when he needs to.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:49 pm

majinwarman wrote:
emperior wrote:
emperior wrote: Wow, Caulifla looks gorgeous in the manga. Very modern-Toriyama like, I wonder if it was Toyotaro who drew this Caulifla. If it was Toyo, props to him. He's definitely improving over time!

Um.. Am I the only one a bit concerned about this?

Toriyama aiding Toyotaro by providing drawings for the Super manga when it's mostly supposed to be drawn by Toyotaro?
Seems like Toriyama is holding Toyotaro's hand a bit too close to his. I thought he was supposed to be teaching Toyotaro, turning him into successor; a protege.

How is Toyotaro going to get better if Toriyama keeps assisting him with the Manga by drawing for him? Don't mean to bring this up again, but maybe this is why Toyotaro traces. Toriyama seems to be giving him a slap on the wrist and supposedly helps him out with the manga he didn't want to draw.

It's like Toriyama is the parent spoiling his son, Toyotaro, and letting him get away with everything, such as tracing over his panels in the OG Dragon Ball (which I had seen as homages, but not anymore after this scandal.)

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:52 pm

Exline wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

Toriyama aiding Toyotaro by providing drawings for the Super manga when it's mostly supposed to be drawn by Toyotaro?
Seems like Toriyama is holding Toyotaro's hand a bit too close to his. I thought he was supposed to be teaching Toyotaro, turning him into successor; a protege.

How is Toyotaro going to get better if Toriyama keeps assisting him with the Manga by drawing for him? Don't mean to bring this up again, but maybe this is why Toyotaro traces. Toriyama seems to be giving him a slap on the wrist and supposedly helps him out with the manga he didn't want to draw.

It's like Toriyama is the parent spoiling his son, Toyotaro, and letting him get away with everything, such as tracing over his panels in the OG Dragon Ball (which I had seen as homages, but not anymore after this scandal.)
I can understand that concern but I think that Toriyama doesn't help with everything. I think Toyotaro will not make the same mistakes and improve. I hope at least.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Exline wrote:

They ARE homages. The traced Captain America image doesn't change the fact that his previous homages were clearly not traced from the original image.

It's a good thing that Toriyama is correcting Toyotarou's mistakes, it means we get a better product and Toyotarou will learn a lot more from having Toriyama's input than from doing things alone. Toriyama isn't just drawing the pages for him, he's correcting the ones that he doesn't feel are right. And they're being very open with the pages being corrected so it's not like an issue of Toyotarou getting credit for Toriyama's work.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:38 am

Exline wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

Toriyama only corrected a few drawings, and the corrections have been super useful for Toyotaro to use as references. I believe your concerns aren't valid at all and that you are overblowing the whole thing, and on the contrary Toriyama is actually teaching Toyotaro this way. The more Toyotaro's style gets closer to Toriyama's, the better he will get. For Toyotaro to be truly considered a Toriyama's successor though, he has to first improve his anatomy and storyboards and stop with the whole tracing/homages things. He also has to get faster because he is struggling a lot lately with a monthly manga.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”