Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:43 am

VEGETA_DTX wrote:
Xyex wrote:Toriyama would say quite differently. He's stated before that he enjoyed GT.
Oh really give me a proof, then I'll give you back a proof for opposite.
Listen to episode 96 of the podcast. They read a letter that Toriyama wrote regarding GT in that Dragon Box. Maybe someone could post a translation here so you don't have to though.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:00 am

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:
VEGETA_DTX wrote:
Xyex wrote:Toriyama would say quite differently. He's stated before that he enjoyed GT.
Oh really give me a proof, then I'll give you back a proof for opposite.
Listen to episode 96 of the podcast. They read a letter that Toriyama wrote regarding GT in that Dragon Box. Maybe someone could post a translation here so you don't have to though.
I can forsee VEGETA_DTX's reaction to this "Everyone knows Toriyama hated GT, He hated it so much that it gave him the heart attack that killed him!, the letter is a fake!"

For goodness sake, half of the reason this topic keeps getting derailed is because you keep posting negative unsubstantiated bullshit, stop ruining the discussion for everyone else.

VEGETA_DTX
Beyond Newbie

Post by VEGETA_DTX » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:46 am

negative unsubstantiated bullshit
I haven't said nothing about Live action in previous post, it was about DBZ, DBGT and about sarcasm.

And if you meant this - http://daizex.db-destiny.net/Daizenshuu ... e_0096.mp3

Aaaaand...? that only goes on my side, I haven't said Toriyama HATED GT I said he wasn't excited about it.

Now I want to leave this topic for a while, I don't want to feel guilty if VegetoEX locks it just "cuz of me" even though I am triyng to be correct even through all this anger of mine, and mocking of yours...
Last edited by VEGETA_DTX on Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
DESTROY ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AMV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMROjUPpgg
http://vegetareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/bardock.html

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:47 am

I don't know how any fan can hate the idea of more Dragon Ball content.. even if it's a live action movie...
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

VEGETA_DTX
Beyond Newbie

Post by VEGETA_DTX » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:52 am

Yeah I say that too, for MORE DRAGON BALL CONTENT not a live action bullshit content... DRAGON BALL/Z/GT is not DRAGON BALL/Z/GT without that visual style, even if action and effects and everything else is good...

Sorry I just had to answer this, now I really go :D
DESTROY ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AMV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMROjUPpgg
http://vegetareviews.blogspot.com/2011/12/bardock.html

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:52 am

Meh, I almost feel for him. That's how I was at first too, but I just wasn't as vocal about it.

But, Kaboom and JAPPO's enthusiasm has convinced me to stay optimistic. YAY!!! :roll:
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:55 am

Gyt, are you being sincere?

Fushar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Fushar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:58 am

After the disaster that was GT you have to understand people are paranoid. The only thing that has been awesome about Dragonball has been Toriyama´s work. After he stopped with DBZ, the rest has been trash. Example: GT.

Now, I havent said anything about this new movie, but years before I have said that a live action movie of Dragonball would suck, because it cant really be done the way it should be. I have always been against the idea of making a live action DB movie, but I knew sooner or later it had to happen because of the money it would bring.

Still I rather wait until more pictures and trailers are released to start giving a good opinion. Meanwhile I'm just giving my opinion and everyone elses opinion should be respected, even Vegeta_DTX´s opinion. He may sound annoying sometimes, but hes got good points in what hes saying and his worries are legit and understandable.

Just because I are a fan of Dragonball doesnt mean I MUST support everything related to it. Because nothing is perfect and sometimes even the things we like the most have bad things that must be criticized.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:58 am

Yeah, I am, LOL. The eye-rolly thing was just how I imagine VEGETA_DTX will view it. No, in all honesty you guys have convinced me to keep an open mind about this.

Besides, when a movie comes out on your birthday, you gotta give it some credit. :D
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Fushar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Fushar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:01 am

VEGETA_DTX wrote:
Everything from Trunks to Kid Buu was done just for the money~
You don't know what you're talking about man...
It was done by Toriyama also...so that automatically means that it have that DBZ spirit, not just desire for money, just like this movie only have.
Exactly. Even if everything from Trunks to Buu was for the money, it still was part of Toriyama´s work and those 2 sagas turned out very good.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:04 am

Ah, cool. :D

Yeah even if it's the worst movie ever (which it won't be, I mean come on it isn't that hard to make a good movie with a story as good as Dragon Ball), it'll still be fun to watch.

(This was directed to Gyt, I hate when someone posts something when I'm writing XD).

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:08 am

LOL, someone ALWAYS posts when I'm typing, its a curse. XD

Yeah, I mean it's not like it's gonna be the end of the world. Everyone, even people who say they aren't, are gonna watch it in the end. You have to basically. And like I said, it'll make an interesting 19th birthday for me. ^_^

Has anyone ever confirmed that Chow Yun-Fat was reading up on Roshi material in the manga? I heard it, but I never saw proof that he was yet.
Twitter

Fushar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Fushar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:10 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:LOL, someone ALWAYS posts when I'm typing, its a curse. XD

Yeah, I mean it's not like it's gonna be the end of the world. Everyone, even people who say they aren't, are gonna watch it in the end. You have to basically. And like I said, it'll make an interesting 19th birthday for me. ^_^

Has anyone ever confirmed that Chow Yun-Fat was reading up on Roshi material in the manga? I heard it, but I never saw proof that he was yet.
Lol you posted when I was going to edit my previous post, so I just replied.

I'm gonna watch the movie anyways.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:12 am

Okay okay lol Firstly, you can't diss Jessica Alba. She's just so sexy, I wouldn't even care about acting. Then again, she's a good actress to begin with.

It's just that this whole story seems so different than what Dragon Ball's all about. The whole thing about Goku is that he's completely ignorant to the outside world. I mean he's never seen a girl before, he's never seen electricity. That adds to the whole adventure aspect of it really, him discovering the world.

I don't think the movie will be bad, I just think it'll be a distant far cry from the true concept of Dragon Ball. Maybe GT wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have the Dragon Ball name and the characters' names would be changed. If it was a separate Anime, maybe it would be good, but because it's supposed to be structured by the rest of the Dragon Ball universe, it vastly suffered. That's what I think will happen here. Maybe it would be a great movie, but not when you link it to the idea of Dragon Ball. I just don't understand how some people could trash GT because it has inconsistencies with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, and then do a 180 and be excited about a movie that has nothing really to do with Dragon Ball other than the title.

Fushar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Fushar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:16 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Okay okay lol Firstly, you can't diss Jessica Alba. She's just so sexy, I wouldn't even care about acting. Then again, she's a good actress to begin with.

It's just that this whole story seems so different than what Dragon Ball's all about. The whole thing about Goku is that he's completely ignorant to the outside world. I mean he's never seen a girl before, he's never seen electricity. That adds to the whole adventure aspect of it really, him discovering the world.

I don't think the movie will be bad, I just think it'll be a distant far cry from the true concept of Dragon Ball. Maybe GT wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have the Dragon Ball name and the characters' names would be changed. If it was a separate Anime, maybe it would be good, but because it's supposed to be structured by the rest of the Dragon Ball universe, it vastly suffered. That's what I think will happen here. Maybe it would be a great movie, but not when you link it to the idea of Dragon Ball. I just don't understand how some people could trash GT because it has inconsistencies with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, and then do a 180 and be excited about a movie that has nothing really to do with Dragon Ball other than the title.
AMEN!!!

Wow its like you read my mind and wrote it all in this post. :D

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:18 am

Let's see... we have Stephen Chow producing (I don't have to tell you how good his movies are) who is a fan of the series.

We have James Wong, who is writing / editing Ben Ramsey's script, I'm guessing to perfect it. James Wong is a decent writer, X-Files was decent. I'd much rather have Stephen Chow directing though, because that would guarantee a good movie.

We have James Marsters acting, I'm personally a fan of Buffy. I enjoyed his role the best in Buffy.

We have Chow Yun-Fat. I forget, is he a good actor?

We have the special effects / stunt company who did "The Matrix," and "300."

We have a highly creative character designer.

We have a budget of over 100 million dollars. And, because we have unknown actors, the majority of that money is going toward special effects and not Tom Cruise's paycheck.

We will have a brand new original soundtrack (what's the harm in that!?).

Yeah, this movie is gonna suck. :D

Oh, and Justin Chatwin has trained / in training for around 3 months. (Same as Keanu Reeves in "The Matrix"). James Marsters is training, and Emmy Rossum is excited about her role and training. And Chow Yun-Fat is even reading the manga :P

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:41 am

Yes, but again, not saying it would be a bad movie. But would it feel like Dragon Ball? I mean if you change the title and some character names, yeah it would be an amazing movie. But the second you put the Dragon Ball title into it, the entire landscape changes drastically.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:46 am

Goku travels with Bulma and Yamcha in search of 7 mystical dragon balls to stop the evil lord Piccolo from taking over the world, and along the way trains with Roshi?

How is that NOT Dragon Ball?

Fushar
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Fushar » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:15 am

JAPPO wrote:Let's see... we have Stephen Chow producing (I don't have to tell you how good his movies are) who is a fan of the series.

We have James Wong, who is writing / editing Ben Ramsey's script, I'm guessing to perfect it. James Wong is a decent writer, X-Files was decent. I'd much rather have Stephen Chow directing though, because that would guarantee a good movie.

We have James Marsters acting, I'm personally a fan of Buffy. I enjoyed his role the best in Buffy.

We have Chow Yun-Fat. I forget, is he a good actor?

We have the special effects / stunt company who did "The Matrix," and "300."

We have a highly creative character designer.

We have a budget of over 100 million dollars. And, because we have unknown actors, the majority of that money is going toward special effects and not Tom Cruise's paycheck.

We will have a brand new original soundtrack (what's the harm in that!?).

Yeah, this movie is gonna suck. :D

Oh, and Justin Chatwin has trained / in training for around 3 months. (Same as Keanu Reeves in "The Matrix"). James Marsters is training, and Emmy Rossum is excited about her role and training. And Chow Yun-Fat is even reading the manga :P
If all of this is true, then very nice. Good news indeed.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:57 am

JAPPO wrote:Let's see...
All the greatest credentials in the world may only be the hype before the Flop.

I have been convinced to keep most of my opinions to myself, however. Mostly because I've already made all my arguments, partly to avoid being the subject of any more 'keep your negative opinions to yourself' rants, and more so because I'd like to avoid the possibility of ever being grouped on the same side as DTX...

Yes, sir... Your argument in opposition of this movie is so poor and painfully over-exaggerated that those already in opposition would rather change sides than share your opinion... :?