Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm

ABED wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pmNo because track orders are done to give albums the best flow. The NEP's aren't really part of the episode. I would argue that the original style isn't the correct order. The NEP's are fun, but they're just promotion for the next week's installment. In the era of streaming and home video release, they are superfluous. The credits are important as they give the people who produced the show their due.
”Best flow” is subjective, and often times albums are released with different track orders for different countries, or just for rereleases. Dragon Ball does the latter a lot. And that wasn’t my point. The point I was trying to make is that people familiar with an album will stop the album after, say, Track Five, and get out of the car, only to have Track Six start playing in their head. Like-wise, when an episode of Funimation’s Dragon Ball Z ends, I hear “NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z!...[stuff happens]!!”. I’d prefer to have things left as they are.
ABED wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:29 pm I guess a rationale for NEP then credits during broadcast is because the fans probably would change the channel if credits came first.
The opposite actually. Toei doesn’t care if kids watch the NEPs. They DO care, however, that they watch the ending credits...but kids (and most people) don’t wanna watch credits, so they started putting the NEPs AFTER the credits for the modern shows so that kids will HAVE to watch thru the credits in order to get to the NEPs (which no kid is gonna want to miss).
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:49 pm

Just food for thought: Another reason the 4 and 3 star balls almost certainly mean 4:3 is that, why would they tease the date that's simply for "more info" that way? That wouldn't make any sense. I highly doubt their very specific tweet is to hype up April 3rd. They've already officially announced the blu-rays. Teasing a date for "more info" is hardly something that would hype people up. They'd instead just say to stay tuned for further details.

Now, if they hadn't announced the blu-ray set yet, and instead just said "Special DBZ 30th anniversary celebration coming soon" with the 4 and 3 star balls, then ok, they could be hyping up a date when they'd reveal what that celebration is all about. But teasing a "further details" date for something that's already been officially revealed just makes no sense.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 am

Now that you mention it, yeah, that’d be kind of strange. Like you said, it would really only make sense if they had t announced it yet, or if it was a release date. Still...it’s just so wrong that 4:3 should even be a selling point, let alone the main one.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:10 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:22 am Now that you mention it, yeah, that’d be kind of strange. Like you said, it would really only make sense if they had t announced it yet, or if it was a release date. Still...it’s just so wrong that 4:3 should even be a selling point, let alone the main one.
It is wrong, but the fact of the matter is that, to people like us, it is. And anyone Funimation can fool back into the light of full-frame.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:14 am

Yeah. If they make a big deal out of it like it’s a good thing, people will think it’s a good thing. That’s how they sold the 16:9 aspect ratio. But that was 12 years ago. It’s been long enuf tho they could get away with making 4:3 the “way it was meant to be seen” and have it be true this time.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:14 am Yeah. If they make a big deal out of it like it’s a good thing, people will think it’s a good thing. That’s how they sold the 16:9 aspect ratio. But that was 12 years ago. It’s been long enuf tho they could get away with making 4:3 the “way it was meant to be seen” and have it be true this time.
We've always been at war with Eurasia, and Dragon Ball was always meant to be 4:3!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:44 am

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm
ABED wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:23 pmNo because track orders are done to give albums the best flow. The NEP's aren't really part of the episode. I would argue that the original style isn't the correct order. The NEP's are fun, but they're just promotion for the next week's installment. In the era of streaming and home video release, they are superfluous. The credits are important as they give the people who produced the show their due.
”Best flow” is subjective, and often times albums are released with different track orders for different countries, or just for rereleases. Dragon Ball does the latter a lot. And that wasn’t my point. The point I was trying to make is that people familiar with an album will stop the album after, say, Track Five, and get out of the car, only to have Track Six start playing in their head. Like-wise, when an episode of Funimation’s Dragon Ball Z ends, I hear “NEXT TIME ON DRAGON BALL Z!...[stuff happens]!!”. I’d prefer to have things left as they are.
ABED wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:29 pm I guess a rationale for NEP then credits during broadcast is because the fans probably would change the channel if credits came first.
The opposite actually. Toei doesn’t care if kids watch the NEPs. They DO care, however, that they watch the ending credits...but kids (and most people) don’t wanna watch credits, so they started putting the NEPs AFTER the credits for the modern shows so that kids will HAVE to watch thru the credits in order to get to the NEPs (which no kid is gonna want to miss).
Best flow by the artists' judgment and there's an art to it and probably even a science to it as well. Doing some quick research, it is in fact true, when something is played matters. When you have different audiences, changing track listings makes sense. They could leave off the NEP's for all I care. They are a glorified DVD extra. In an era of binge watching and home media release, they aren't necessary seeing as how you don't have to wait to watch the next episode.
I believe that is the reason given back on the main site where it's discussed on a Dragon Box page (I think).
Interesting, but I can't find it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:26 pm

All of the NEPs in the original broadcast order would be cool to have, but I must admit that I wouldn't care for that as much as just getting the show in 4:3 with broadcast Japanese audio.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:10 pm

I hope that this release has the toonami next episode previews. I remember my Captain Ginyu Assault tape has the next episode preview after the 3rd episode.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:44 pm

It would certainly be great...but it would be for the FUNi dub (ver. 1) only. And that’s IF they even include it. They’ve been solely releasing the FUNi dub (ver. 3) since 2007. It would definitely be fitting for an anniversary boxset release, tho. But episodes 1~53 (original FUNi dub episode count) would of course be excluded. Of course, Funimation is probably too embarrasst of the third and fourth seasons of the FUNi dub (ver. 1) to ever release again... :/

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:44 pm It would certainly be great...but it would be for the FUNi dub (ver. 1) only. And that’s IF they even include it. They’ve been solely releasing the FUNi dub (ver. 3) since 2007. It would definitely be fitting for an anniversary boxset release, tho. But episodes 1~53 (original FUNi dub episode count) would of course be excluded. Of course, Funimation is probably too embarrasst of the third and fourth seasons of the FUNi dub (ver. 1) to ever release again... :/
The Funimation outsourced dub is pretty embarrassing but they bank off it for nostalgia so I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for the in-house dub.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:56 pm

The original DBZ singles included one next episode preview per disc, to preview the first episode of the next disc, IIRC. It was English language only.

During the original Toonami airings, the next episode previews aired in English. I believe it was Chris Psaros who once hypothesized that FUNi had the visual footage of the next episode previews, but didn't have the Japanese audio to them, hence they never included previews on the home video releases. This was possibly due to the fact that the Japanese previews were often recorded multiple times, sometimes throwing in advertising for upcoming movies, and Toei didn't provide anything other than the footage.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 pm

There's really no way we're getting NEPs unless Funi does the Saiyan-Cell arc all over again. Also, the instrumental for the background needs to still be available, if it was ever available in the first place.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:13 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 pm Also, the instrumental for the background needs to still be available, if it was ever available in the first place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxKU8FXxEQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEa1GnwUdng

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:22 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 pm There's really no way we're getting NEPs unless Funi does the Saiyan-Cell arc all over again. Also, the instrumental for the background needs to still be available, if it was ever available in the first place.
Assuming they have access to the Japanese rights/materials, there's no excuse other than laziness for the Japanese NEPs to be absent from a new "Toei-collaborated" BD set, even if they're only for the sub. Not hard to just trigger the BD to skip past them for the dub, if they wanted to go all or nothing on it. They could do the same with the episode titles while they're at it. As I understand it, video branching is much easier/effective on BD than alternate angles were on DVD. And thank Kami for that, as all those Funi alternate angle DVDs are a stain on my collection at this point (macroblocking 4 dayz).

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:32 am

Exactly. There’s no way they won’t be on the set if they were on the Dragon Box Z sets. But on those, it was Japanese only. Which is stupid. What’s wrong with only the latter half of the show having them in the English dub? That’s better than none at all.

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:51 am

SqueakyBoots wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:13 pm
superfan2024 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:35 pm Also, the instrumental for the background needs to still be available, if it was ever available in the first place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxKU8FXxEQw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEa1GnwUdng
The Brazilian dub had the original Cha-La instrumental in the NEPs: https://youtu.be/WndEGj_oPeM?t=28

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:03 am

I'm not a fan of the old FUNi dub (the Kai dub is great though) but I'd love if they dubbed the OP/ED/Insert songs and the NEPs which are sure to be included in this 30th Anniversary release.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Theory, literally just thought of it. What if FUNi got more than the initial 2500 sign-ups for this set & they wanted to artificially inflate the number of people who've signed up since we don't know that number.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:34 pm

IDK but the longer this drags on the dumber i think Funimation was for making the decision to announce any details with this set. If they don't have details about this set by mid april i say it was an epic fail :/