The FUNimation Dub's "Story" Changes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

The FUNimation Dub's "Story" Changes

Post by Anonymous Friend » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:09 am

Many of us here are aware of the instances when the english dub made changes to the dialog that resulted in false info being passed along. Such things as Goku's father being a brilliant scientist, Bardock leading his men into a confrontation with Frieza, and Dr. Gero being the mastermind behind the Red Ribbon Army.

When I first watched the series and these things came up, I didn't really pay them that much attention. They were little bits of dialog that were spoken and didn't really mean that much to me. and it wasn't until I started researching Dragonball a little more on the internet that I found out that they were incorrect.

But, how do you fell about them? For those who watched the dub first, what was your reaction when you learned the truth?

To me, I don't count it as being a big deal if only for the fact that if you were to go to almost any site about Dragonball you should come across a section that would tell you that these are wrong and give you the correct info and explain why this occured. Or if you mentioned these on any forum you should get a really quick response correcting you.

For the most part, these little things don't really affect much of the story. It just sucks that it had to happen in the first place.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:29 pm

For me, it was just pure shock that Funimation was that lazy with the DBZ dub script.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:36 pm

I don't think they were lazy. I think it would be even lazier for them to just follow the direct translation. Instead they wrote their own stuff. It's not called lazy, just... weird. I haven't noticed too much of the story to change. Lets forget Bardock the brillian scientist, when dubbing they had no idea that Bardock would ever appear. And Vegeta never said he was literally a scientist, just said that he was smart and invented the moon light ball thing. As for the rest, I don't really care and didn't even notice.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:44 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:And Vegeta never said he was literally a scientist, just said that he was smart and invented the moon light ball thing.
Vegeta, FUNimation / 1996 wrote:Your father was an average fighter, Kakarot, but he was a BRILLIANT scientist!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:49 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:And Vegeta never said he was literally a scientist, just said that he was smart and invented the moon light ball thing.
Vegeta, FUNimation / 1996 wrote:Your father was an average fighter, Kakarot, but he was a BRILLIANT scientist!
What's so funny about that is, it was really the opposite. Bardock was an ABOVE average fighter for his class and that's what made Freeza so worried! :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:53 pm

Well yeah, but he didn't say that's what he did. Could be referring to how smart he was. Again, I'm not saying that it's justifiable, I'm just saying that they didn't even know Bardock would come into the picture. They purchased the first 13 episodes of Dragon Ball, and as far as Z went, all they had to work with was up until the Ginyu fight. No sign of Goku's dad, so might as well make it just a bit more personal between the two, having Goku potentially killed by his own father's creation. Again, whatever, they redubbed it accurately enough.

A lot of things that were done by the Pioneer/Ocean/whatever you want to call them team, were necessary. They HAD to censor the series, and they HAD to make it look like whenever someone was killed that they were still alive. When Nappa blew up a plane, they'd say, "I see their parachutes, they'll be okay!" It's because during that time censors were strict. A lot of people don't take into account that they weren't allowed to make it look like anyone was killed. Which is also why Tien hinted at himself having the power to regenerate limbs. Whatever was done by the Ocean team shouldn't be taken into account because it was a different time then. When all of DBZ was redubbed, why do we STILL have people going back and talking about what the dub before them did?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:56 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:They HAD to censor the series
Harmony Gold didn't have to censor T'ao Paipai sticking his tongue through Gen. Blue seven years earlier.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:20 pm

Was that on US TV?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:34 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Kunzait, I hereby present to you the "Post of the Year" award.

Normally, you'd wait 'til the year is over or almost over to do that, but... Yeah.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:55 pm

Yes the censorship was enforced by Saban. Why? Because Saban didn't want to make all these episodes just for them to be told to cut a ton of it out later anyway. Why deal with the problem when you get to it if you know what the problem is going to be? Why not prevent it ahead of time? Hearing commentary from the director of the animated Batman show in the 1990's, he always said how he was surprised that they let him get away with gunfire itself, let alone some of the crazier things. There was a scene where a bunch of cars and buildings were being blown up and he joked, "Yeah, don't worry, nobody lives in those. Nobody's driving those cars" and it was a "movie". They made them animate seatbelts for when Batman was chasing someone. So don't think that at that time, ESPECIALLY on WB (which is where they were playing Dragon Ball Z) that it was anything goes.

I'm not saying that the censoring was a good thing, or that there was really a need for it (in terms of protecting children and whatnot). But it was the only way they could air the damn show, and if they wouldn't chop it to pieces, you wouldn't know what DBZ was in the United States.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:00 pm

Kunzait_83,good grief. You just put up the core of what's wrong with the Dub of DBZ. I'm sure you can go on for hours about the details within the details.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Wow.

Kunzait, you really said everything that needed to be said.

I applaud you sir.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:11 pm

Really, don't get me wrong. The dub can be pretty awful sometimes. But sometimes you should just roll with it. It's not going to change the action of the show or how much you love it. "Oh my God! Goku said that he was a bit nervous during the fight, when in reality, he said that he was excited! How dare those bastards?! I can't watch the show anymore!"

Think of it as two versions. The Americanized version, and the Japanese version. The Japanese version is great for that mystical old feeling, and the American version is more of the "hip, modern" type. That's how I see it. Sometimes I'm in the mood for the original, sometimes I'm in the mood for the dub. I see it basically as two parallel shows. Dub mistakes are not the end of the world.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:15 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: the American version is more of the "hip, modern" type.
Now you sound like an executive at Funimation.

As a relatively young person, I can safely say there isn't anything "hip" about the Funimation dub, which in my opinion it has struggled to reach a point where it's watchable.

And hip things don't struggle.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Except I'm sure all the kids that are under the age of 13 when they watched the show didn't even know, or cared about the fact that there was a Japanese version. You think it became so popular in the United States because people wanted to watch the Japanese version? They hit their target audience pretty damn well.

And please. Quite frankly, I'm not at all a big fan of FUNimation's. I like DB/Z/GT, but that's all they got that I like. Shin-Chan has its moments. I'm waiting to laugh at the first person to complain about them changing the script on that show.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:45 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: I go on at length often about the religious/mythological elements of Dragon Ball, but it’s a pretty huge element at key moments throughout the series. Ignoring them just leaves all sorts of gaping leaps in logic. Like the Kaios and Kaioshins for instance. If they aren’t gods, then what are they? Aliens? Catfish people from Venus?
I couldn't agree with you more, on this and your other points. I've always had an interest in mythology, so the mythological elements of Dragon Ball are a big draw for me. So the fact that these elements are completely ignored in the dub has always bugged me greatly.

Anyway, "Catfish people from Venus?" remind me of how in Legendary Super Warriors for the GBC, Kaio's planet is referred to as 'Neptune'. Really. Which is strange, because the translations in that game otherwise seem to be pretty good.
Or what about “Energy” and “Powering up”? Powering up from what? An electrical socket? Does Vegeta need to reach 1.21 Gigawats to become SSJ?
To be fair, the Japanese version does sometimes use the English word 'energy' (enerugii; for some reason they say it with a hard g) as a seeming synonym for ki. It's mostly in the Buu arc, with Babidi and Kaioshin both explaining that in order to revive Majin Buu Babidi needs to gather 'energy'. The difference between 'energy' and ki, if any, is never explained in the series as far as I know.

The Japanese version also uses 'power up' (again as a borrowed English phrase, pawaa appu) a whole lot. However, they only use it for when a character gets more powerful than they were before, rather than simply getting revvied up to fight, which is how the dub seems to use the term. So for instance, Goku drinking the Super God Water is an example of the Japanese usage of 'power up', while Vegeta preparing to fight Goku is an example of the dub usage (the Japanese version refers to this sort of things as somebody 'releasing their ki' or variations on that).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:51 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Yes the censorship was enforced by Saban. Why? Because Saban didn't want to make all these episodes just for them to be told to cut a ton of it out later anyway. Why deal with the problem when you get to it if you know what the problem is going to be? Why not prevent it ahead of time? Hearing commentary from the director of the animated Batman show in the 1990's, he always said how he was surprised that they let him get away with gunfire itself, let alone some of the crazier things. There was a scene where a bunch of cars and buildings were being blown up and he joked, "Yeah, don't worry, nobody lives in those. Nobody's driving those cars" and it was a "movie". They made them animate seatbelts for when Batman was chasing someone. So don't think that at that time, ESPECIALLY on WB (which is where they were playing Dragon Ball Z) that it was anything goes.

I'm not saying that the censoring was a good thing, or that there was really a need for it (in terms of protecting children and whatnot).
I feel that the thing that Kunzait is talking about goes beyond censorship though. Think about it, Funi got away with cutting very little of the show for the TV edits after they took over completely. They let characters bleed, they kept most of the violence, and they acknowledged that people were dying and in the US all of that constituted as TV-Y7 FV on CN which is the same rating that the hacked up Saban enforced edit got. Then they showed the UUE version on TV and nobody gave a flying fuck. 100% uncut and sometimes shown on Toonami. So in the end they really didn't have to censor as much as they did, they were just paranoid which in turn let to a sloppy product.

As for the OP, I've already acknowledged my displeasure with the dub. The story changes make it so that if your average guy off the street who doesn't care or know about anime went solely by the dub, they'd instantly wish they'd never watched anime again. I'm displeased at how the season sets turned out. They really gave me hope. When I heard they were redubbing from scratch I was thinking, "Funi's a good dubbing company now. They dub the DB video games better than what they used to and their anime dubs are amazing. This is DBZ's big chance to be done right." And what do I find? That it's the same old shitty dub with cheap trills like widescreen and film damaging remastering packaged for our enjoyment.

I read a long time ago that the reason that Funi had so many script errors was that they got "Engrishy" scripts from Toei that were incoherent and they had to decipher things on their own. Now that would be all fine and dandy if they didn't leave out the part that they deliberately changed the script and the mood of the show to fit "American tastes" (as they said before) which was the same reason why they cut and edited the show in the first place. Mind you, this is after Saban in 1999. And the thing is, if Funi really was having a hard time with script translations they could have made a script based around Steve Simmons' translations from the Japanese version. But nope. They intentionally spent time and money to create screw ups that were never nesscessary because they scripts and the translations were right in fucking front of them. I don't see why they replaced the original BGM in their dub either when they now, after almost 10 years, put it back in. And for what? Seriously, for what? There's no reason other than Funi's BS excuse that, "The Japanzes Musiks and Skriptz are oldd, Boreding, and won't fitt Amerikan's taztees." That they used back in the day which time and time again has been proven wrong since, I don't know, since every dub around the entire fucking world used the original music and mostly stayed true to the original without changing anything to fit their culture and it was still a hit. It's just plain ignorance and xenophobia on Funi's part since they've dubbed everything else other than DB stuff while staying as close as possible to the original, and guess the fuck what? People liked it fucking regardless if they mention God and Hell.

Funi really just boggles my mind. They only screw with DBZ and it's fans and everything else that they own, even it if has one fan, gets treated like a platinum diamond. With the treatment that they continuously give to DB stuff you'd think that DB's the worst property that they own rather than being their best franchise. Hell they've seen that they can make money off of a shitty product anything and isn't that the only thing that matters?
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:57 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:14 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:The dub is not now, nor was it ever “hip”… it’s what a painfully out-of-touch 40 or 50 something marketing executive would perceive as hip.
True dat. I know children, at the time, who watched the toonami edit of Kenshin. And did they get bored? No, in fact they loved the hell out of it and it. Did Bang Zoom try and change Kenshin into something more "accessible to American audiences"? No. Even the toonami edit was still accurate and wasn't changed to be more hip or American. It's just stupid when somebody thinks they have to do things to something to fit "American tastes" or make it more "hip" when it's been proven that leaving stuff the fuck alone is better than falling into such a ridiculous line of thought and fucking everything up.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]