Myth - "Funimation didn't acquire film masters of DBZ until 2008"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Myth - "Funimation didn't acquire film masters of DBZ until 2008"

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:46 pm

I'm pretty sure in terms of the Blue Bricks it's only the first thirteen episodes that have a different source, while the other 140 are basically just taken from the same set of digibeta tape masters as the old Saga releases minus of course the DNR filtering. On that point, in terms of OG DB they did get much more sane and competent with the application by that point especially compared to the first few Orange Bricks where it was clear they overdid the process especially the Season Two set. Not saying that i completely 100% approve no questions asked but at least the results weren't absolutely horrible to the extent that the former had been and GT to a lesser degree.

Also, there's the thing with it being the only way to get the first arc uncut and with the Japanese audio here in the States as a result of the long period of distribution legal red tape that Lionsgate (Kidmark and Trimark prior to that) had over them and DB movie 1 in their 1995 edited dub only forms which didn't revert back to FUNimation until sometime in early 2009 or so.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:04 pm

kei17 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:29 pm Speaking of the change in video quality in the original DB, my guess is that the early episodes were transferred when the BLT dub was produced, and the rest was done later, maybe in a cheaper way.
Indeed. This would make a lot of sense, since Funi initially stated an intention to produce 26 episodes of Dragon Ball. It would furthermore make sense that, if they were preparing to do the first 26, they would get all 28 of the first two arcs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Zestanor wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:29 pm
kei17 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:36 pm
The status of the film is written in next to each airdate, so I think they were still running the film reels in real time.
Frankly this is blowing my mind. I assumed the guy at the station just popped in a videotape with the programs and commercials all ready to go and hit play. They must have had it down to a science in order not to run into technical difficulties all the time, switching the feed between film telecine and commercials tape at precisely the right time
The switching is programmed beforehand, i'm sure about it

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:39 pm

Lightningexpose wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:01 am I mean DBZ ep 1 on the old 4:3 DVDs looks very different from the rest.

By a lot of the fandom ep 1 is criticised for how it looks on these old DVDs and there was this notion that ep 1 of every release must be inferior quality.

But it actually looks better than the rest. It has way more grain than the rest of the series so that could be why people assumed it’s worse. But when it comes to so many other artefacts like chroma shifts and blurs as well as excessive ringing, ep 1 is the only one that doesn’t have this. So yeah, maybe funi did have film and ep 1 of Z on the old releases is the example? Not sure.

For DB it appears to be first 28 eps that look filmic then they get that very composite master look with the chroma issues, ringing and less grain.
The old masters of Z movie 1 were also of similar quality to their masters for Z episode 1. The colors are also very similar.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:58 pm

AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:38 pm
kei17 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:36 pm
The status of the film is written in next to each airdate, so I think they were still running the film reels in real time.
Frankly this is blowing my mind. I assumed the guy at the station just popped in a videotape with the programs and commercials all ready to go and hit play. They must have had it down to a science in order not to run into technical difficulties all the time, switching the feed between film telecine and commercials tape at precisely the right time
I heard that before 9/11 many independent TV stations had essentially been automated so that the only person that would usually be there was the janitor if that. But after 9/11 local stations had a policy change to have at least one person working there live in case a tragedy like that happened again.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

AlexSketchy04
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexSketchy04 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:58 pm
AlexSketchy04 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:38 pm

I heard that before 9/11 many independent TV stations had essentially been automated so that the only person that would usually be there was the janitor if that. But after 9/11 local stations had a policy change to have at least one person working there live in case a tragedy like that happened again.
Not sure where you heard that, but most of the time, stations had two guys working on master control, mostly in case something went wrong, and to put the tapes

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:23 pm

There is so much info to dig through here, but it's so technical and nerdy I love it. Good report Robo
kei17 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:16 pm
VanceRefrigeration wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:13 pm So you have some of the actual film that the rebroadcast tapes were transferred from? Does your film happen to have the same kind of tinting that the rebroadcast footage has? I was thinking that the rebroadcast footage looked very tinted because of the film fading, so I'm curious to see if your film looks similar to that.
They're yellow-tinted and really, really dark. Every film print from Toei that I've seen is remarkably darker than those from other companies like Shin'ei Douga. I understood why Funi's own film transfers always have the crushed blacks. The film footage itself is already dark as hell.

Image Image Image Image
That is so awesome. How in the world did you even get ahold of this? That must've costed an arm and a leg :lol:

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:17 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:57 pm I'm assuming so, there is no mention of any restorations in their booklets (like the Orange bricks). I think since Dragon Ball doesnt sell as well as Z they haven't taken the time to rescan the film. I just want a better release of Dragon ball.
TBH, the way for a "Better release of Dragon Ball" would be for Funi to just rerelease raw DVD represses of the DigiBeta masters they have; it would look better than the singles by virtue of better encoding, and better than the Blue Bricks by virtue of not being DNR'd to hell and back.
I'm not sure it's the same approach but that idea makes me think of that SD Blu Ray of Fist of The North Star Discotek put out in 2017. It's SD, but it's still a nice step up from the original 2010/2011 DVD release since it benefits from higher bitrates and such.
Last edited by ArmenianPepsi on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:40 pm

I am 100% in support of SD-Blu rays! Infact FUNi used Dragon Box footage on one of the season bluray special features (18's VA interveiw). Id buy it in a heart beat. If anyone wants to compare with the US /JP DB 9 (these were taken with VLC so the colors off but it's to show the higher bitrate. I'm trying to get used to how virtual dub works)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:45 pm

I just realized that 18's forehead is fucking huge.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:40 pm
I am 100% in support of SD-Blu rays! Infact FUNi used Dragon Box footage on one of the season bluray special features (18's VA interveiw). Id but it in a heart beat. If anyone wants to compare with the US /JP DB 9 (these were taken with VLC so the colors off but it's to show the higher bitrate. I'm trying to get used to how virtual dub works)
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Whoops forgot something, here's a quick comparrison I whipped up for HnK if you care to look :lol:

- - > https://imgur.com/a/GXEdHfh
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:55 pm

thats night and day! lol I wish SD blurays were more common, some shows (like all in the family) can only go so high, but Blurays can make them looks so much better than their DVD versions.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:08 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 pm
Whoops forgot something, here's a quick comparrison I whipped up for HnK if you care to look :lol:

Hokuto no ken have been HD remastered around 2008 for the 25 th anniversary box, i think that dragon ball kai was done cause 291 ep+ was too much for Toei, i wonder why Bluray never came at that time, i only know that actual SD bluray released in japan use the premium box (the dragon box version of Hokuto no ken) i wonder why they never used the HD footage they actually had

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 pm Whoops forgot something, here's a quick comparrison I whipped up for HnK if you care to look :lol:

That first shot definitely doesn't look like an actual screenshot from the DVDs. It looks like one of the heavily compressed streaming versions of the show. There's compression and smearing all over the place, and the Discotek DVDs are of pretty good quality. I don't have a screenshot from that specific scene, but this is one I do have on hand:

I don't remember the episode number, but I'm pretty sure it's the episode where he first fought Raoh.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:20 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:27 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:48 pm Whoops forgot something, here's a quick comparrison I whipped up for HnK if you care to look :lol:

That first shot definitely doesn't look like an actual screenshot from the DVDs. It looks like one of the heavily compressed streaming versions of the show. There's compression and smearing all over the place, and the Discotek DVDs are of pretty good quality. I don't have a screenshot from that specific scene, but this is one I do have on hand:

I don't remember the episode number, but I'm pretty sure it's the episode where he first fought Raoh.
Oh I see now, thanks for correcting me. I'll correct my mistake here. Turns out what I used for comparison was the version of the show ripped from CrunchyRolll. My bad, sorry if I ended up misguiding anyone :lol: :lol:

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:54 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:05 pm This is the common understanding of Funimation's video masters:

In the '90s, Toei supplied Funimation with Digital Betacam transfers of film prints of the first ~20 episodes of DB, as well as the three original movies, for use in their 1995 dub with BLT. They were later given similar copies of DBZ for the first two seasons (and the related movies). Funimation then switched to getting materials from Latin America when they moved in-house, because it was cheaper.

I never knew this. So it's not my imagination that the picture quality for Funimation's DBZ dub went down the shitter from "Ginyu Assault" onwards? The picture looks so vibrant and colorful in the Saban dub and then as soon as Funimation went in-house, the quality of the picture looks so much older.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:34 am

TVfan721 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:54 pm I never knew this. So it's not my imagination that the picture quality for Funimation's DBZ dub went down the shitter from "Ginyu Assault" onwards? The picture looks so vibrant and colorful in the Saban dub and then as soon as Funimation went in-house, the quality of the picture looks so much older.
As I note later in the post, the understanding I explained there wasn't completely right -- the material they got from Toei was film that Funi transferred themselves. I'm not sure what form the Latin American footage was in, but I think it may very well have been tape; transfers that were done years ago in Latin America.

But yes, most likely the reason the post-Saban footage doesn't look as good as the Saban footage is because they switched to cheaper methods of getting footage.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Lightningexpose
Banned

Post by Lightningexpose » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 am

So, I actually have evidence right now that FUNimation did indeed receive 16mm film for all 153 episodes of Dragon Ball. However, they had disposed of it all.

The part of the evidence I can show to you right now is insufficient so you'll have to wait a bit. Once I can show the full evidence I'll post here.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:10 am

Lightningexpose wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 am So, I actually have evidence right now that FUNimation did indeed receive 16mm film for all 153 episodes of Dragon Ball. However, they had disposed of it all.

The part of the evidence I can show to you right now is insufficient so you'll have to wait a bit. Once I can show the full evidence I'll post here.
Really? I thought they had only standard def digibeta tape masters of DB, this is is interesting to hear.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:19 am

Lightningexpose wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:41 am So, I actually have evidence right now that FUNimation did indeed receive 16mm film for all 153 episodes of Dragon Ball. However, they had disposed of it all.

That's interesting. Do you know if they're getting new masters to work with, or not every episode being destroyed?

PizzaShrapnel

Post by PizzaShrapnel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:23 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:53 pm For the Blue Bricks it looks like they used actual film for the first 28 episodes but from 29 onward they just applied DNR to the digibeta tapes they already had and called it a day.
Was there ever an explanation given as to why the first 13 episodes or so are so zoomed in?