Elements of DB that look dated

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Elements of DB that look dated

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:22 am

ABED wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:06 pm I don't think people want more world-building, but I do think people want faster pacing.
Eh??
PLENTY of people (in America and even Japan) want more world-building, Half the threads on this very forum are questions about the universe of DB itself, often expressing disappointment we never got any greater in-depth look at them or saw characters who aren't Saiyans be sidelined despite the in-universe explanation of why that is. It's almost a meme that fans want to turn Dragon Ball into a Japanese MCU. Which is probably a good reason why DB should just end right now before that happens since this series has never been made for that.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:25 am

I would hate greater worldbuilding in dragon ball personally, i like the way it's handled, we get rare glimpses at a living, fluid universe as opposed to answers to every questoin everyone has. It makes DB far riper for discussion imo, unfortunately also more open for arguments over headcanon but they would happen anyways, at least with less set in stone our headcanon 's can be ridiculous and still reasonably fit into the DB world.

I would like to see it expand into a DBCU of sorts, but to focus on the characters mroeso than "look at this new story in this fancy new place!", like, seeing Krillin fighting crime in West City isn't new worldbuilding but can give us a greater insight into Krillin as a character, which is what i'd prefer to see them do. Character-centric spin-offs.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am

JewyB wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:25 am I would like to see it expand into a DBCU of sorts, but to focus on the characters mroeso than "look at this new story in this fancy new place!", like, seeing Krillin fighting crime in West City isn't new worldbuilding but can give us a greater insight into Krillin as a character, which is what i'd prefer to see them do. Character-centric spin-offs.
Which is probably a good reason why DB should just end right now before that happens since this series has never been made for that.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

JewyB
Beyond Newbie

Post by JewyB » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:39 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:29 am
JewyB wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:25 am I would like to see it expand into a DBCU of sorts, but to focus on the characters mroeso than "look at this new story in this fancy new place!", like, seeing Krillin fighting crime in West City isn't new worldbuilding but can give us a greater insight into Krillin as a character, which is what i'd prefer to see them do. Character-centric spin-offs.
Which is probably a good reason why DB should just end right now before that happens since this series has never been made for that.
DB was also never made for martial arts, sci-fi or laser beams but series evolve as they grow. Otherwise Goku would still be patting peoples crotches and Bulma would still be flashing Roshi. Its not a bad thing for a franchise to switch focus. And even then, i want spin-offs alongside the main story, so they stop shoehorning Gotenks into fights to make a wisecrack then lose, or have Krillin show up to regain his confidence and then lose, or have Gohan decide to start training again.

If they had spin-offs focused on the other characters the main series could do what it actually wants to do and focus on Goku and Vegeta and the gods, without having to force in random, out of place character moments to appease fans.

And as for it ending, no new content an retroactively ruin the old content, so if you feel DB should have ended there are several points you personally could consider a logical ending point and move onto another series, and nothing would change regardless of any new content being released. I personally just feel that expanding DB now would be the right choice if they wanted to continue it, but i would hate for them to expand in a way of "look at this new shiny, and that new shiny", when the main series can be used to add new concepts.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:15 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:22 am
ABED wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:06 pm I don't think people want more world-building, but I do think people want faster pacing.
Eh??
PLENTY of people (in America and even Japan) want more world-building, Half the threads on this very forum are questions about the universe of DB itself, often expressing disappointment we never got any greater in-depth look at them or saw characters who aren't Saiyans be sidelined despite the in-universe explanation of why that is. It's almost a meme that fans want to turn Dragon Ball into a Japanese MCU. Which is probably a good reason why DB should just end right now before that happens since this series has never been made for that.
hard disagree. You can’t use this forum as a good indication of what mainstream fans desire and what they desire isn’t exposition
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheQuestioner

Post by TheQuestioner » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:38 pm

Spinoff sounds like a good idea. There is a lot of untapped potential when it comes to the world. I would like to see greater worldbuilding but at the same time I do not want excessive depth. More worldbuilding isn't always better.
"We don't have time to be fancy."

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:46 pm

I do not really care for world-building as a reader. As a writer working on novels I try to avoid it as much as I can unless I feel really inspired by an idea but I would prefer the wild and crazy format of slice-of-life episodes to show off more minutia about the characters' personalities and then from there add in small story arcs (4-8 episodes) between single episodes.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:11 pm

World building is just exposition and should be kept to a minimum. It's mostly boring and slows stories down. Give the audience only what they need to lead to an emotionally satisfying payoff. Not everything needs to be explained.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheQuestioner

Post by TheQuestioner » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:19 pm

Yes, the necessary details are good enough. I wouldn't mind more though if the story doesn't get bogged down and the worldbuilding is communicated naturally. Dumping information doesn't automatically make your story better.
"We don't have time to be fancy."

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:27 am

Goku being dumb is only true in the DBS anime and it's less noticeable in the manga. I did read Dragon Ball not a long time ago and Goku is more candid and uncultivated than just stupid.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:37 pm

I think it was Julian that said that Dragon Ball doesn't have much depth - it has a lot of breadth.

World building is an incidental to the way Toriyama tells stories, he just drops morsels as he goes and they accumulate over the decades. I think the instances where he really has tried to flesh things out have been middling to terrible (S-Cells etc).