Who is funnier, Goku or Vegeta?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Who is funnier, Goku or Vegeta?

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:08 pm

To you personally who makes you laugh more?

PurestEvil

Re: Who is funnier, Goku or Vegeta?

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:49 pm

nickzambuto wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:08 pm To you personally who makes you laugh more?
Which one of them sodomized a grown man with a red stick?
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:05 pm

Is this really a contest? Goku was conceived as a comedic character since day one when he confused Bulma and her car for a yokai and then pulled up Bulma’s skirt to look for her tail.

Vegeta didn’t even show any potential for comedy until Super/Battle of the Gods. Goku has got a good 3 decades on him.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:05 pm Is this really a contest? Goku was conceived as a comedic character since day one when he confused Bulma and her car for a yokai and then pulled up Bulma’s skirt to look for her tail.

Vegeta didn’t even show any potential for comedy until Super/Battle of the Gods. Goku has got a good 3 decades on him.
Vegeta was always pretty funny imo but the new stuff definitely pushed him into comedy overdrive, to the point where a lot of people were saying he is the funniest character in Super (which is probably true). That's why I made this thread, I thought it might be one aspect of the rivalry where Vegeta could win.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:05 pm Is this really a contest? Goku was conceived as a comedic character since day one when he confused Bulma and her car for a yokai and then pulled up Bulma’s skirt to look for her tail.

I'd say family man Vegeta was already funny in GT, before DBS.

Still, Goku wins this one easily.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 am

I guess with Vegeta, I'm usually laughing *with* him. With Goku, I'm laughing *at* him.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:19 am

MyVisionity wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 am I guess with Vegeta, I'm usually laughing *with* him. With Goku, I'm laughing *at* him.
I think the opposite is true for me. When he laughs he tends to be a monster or being smug, which ISNT bad but isnt all that funny. Goku on the other hand is funny and while I do laugh at his antics he's never been fully the brunt of a joke.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:02 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:19 am
MyVisionity wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 am I guess with Vegeta, I'm usually laughing *with* him. With Goku, I'm laughing *at* him.
I think the opposite is true for me. When he laughs he tends to be a monster or being smug, which ISNT bad but isnt all that funny. Goku on the other hand is funny and while I do laugh at his antics he's never been fully the brunt of a joke.
When killing guys like Dodoria, Zarbon, and Jeice I was laughing with Vegeta.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:58 am

nickzambuto wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:02 am
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:19 am
When killing guys like Dodoria, Zarbon, and Jeice I was laughing with Vegeta.
Vegeta was definitely a fun villain, despite being so cruel.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:42 pm

Goku, but Vegeta has some knee-slappers like when he told Krillin and the others to go home and drink milk.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:50 pm

I don't think I ever really found Goku himself to be funny; only reactions of other people to how he is, especially in the early parts of series.

As for Vegeta, what I find funny about him are the hopes of those who think he will ever get his big lasting win against the arc boss.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:59 pm

Eh, probably Vegeta. He himself is not funny nor are his jokes entertaining, but it is pretty hilarious how he is always so full of himself, only to get his ego crushed by the main villain at the start of every major fight:

Poor Vegeta, when will he ever learn the lesson? He is just an "appetizer", "a light introduction before the main course". Oh well, it is always fun to watch him get stomped.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:14 am

Saban era Vegeta was pretty funny.

"Nappa! Remind me to have you de-wormed..."

"Uh-oh! He landed right in the water hazard!"

But, speaking of which, that whole dub was full of insanity. One thing that always stood out to me when I revisited that dub a few years ago was when Goku put on his ragged out clothes from his training as he approached Namek. Instead of remembering he had a fresh change with him, he says "darn moths!" Either he's blaming his own mistake on something he knows isn't the reason for his ruined clothes, or the writer didn't know that Goku's clothes were worn from the training and thought it would be a funny joke, because what kind of moth would eat up clothing that much? Either that, or they just legitimately had no idea and thought "torn clothes... must be moths!" Dang space moths is what it is. :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:30 am

Goku, the heroic idiot. Vegeta is only funny when he's reacting to Goku.