30th Anniversary Blu-Ray vs. DVD Singles (Episode 68/118 onward)

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray vs. DVD Singles (Episode 68/118 onward)

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:24 am

Char Aznable wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:05 am If you want the true definitive U.S. broadcast experience, the only way to go are the DVD singles. For the Saiyan and first half of the Freeza arcs (or the 'Namek arc' I guess you can call it?) it will be far cheaper to go for the old singles versus the Rock the Dragon set, and I think they look a little bit better too despite missing the dub previews and recaps. I know they're edited down, but again, that's how they were presented here. I could be wrong but did Cartoon Network even finish airing the UUE redubs? I think they stopped right after arriving on Namek.
They aired the entire UUE dub at least once. That’s where the whole “Dick Lasagna voiced Burter for the UUE dub but was redubbed by Sabat for the orange bricks” comes from and you can find air dates online. I think in the second run they randomly switched to the edited episodes with the Ocean cast around Namek though.

, the original wasn't even included as a bonus in the anniversary set which kind of surprised me.
Given Funimation’s boner for revisionist history it really shouldn’t.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:30 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:24 am They aired the entire UUE dub at least once. That’s where the whole “Dick Lasagna voiced Burter for the UUE dub but was redubbed by Sabat for the orange bricks” comes from and you can find air dates online. I think in the second run they randomly switched to the edited episodes with the Ocean cast around Namek though.
I misremembered then, I could've sworn they stopped airing them but to be fair I also wasn't really watching them except for the occasional week.
MasenkoHA wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:24 am Given Funimation’s boner for revisionist history it really shouldn’t.
I know, you're right, I was going to say I was surprised because it was marketed as the very best ever one-time mega special ultimate 30th anniversary edition release, but we all know how that turned out!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:50 am

Yeah Funimation have a clear agenda to bury the original broadcast dub, and the first two seasons they did with Ocean (Rock the Dragon being the only exception). They're probably hoping it will be gradually be forgotten over time as more and more fans are introduced via the remastered dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Nanatsu88

Post by Nanatsu88 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:24 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:06 am I think if you fix the oversaturation, the fake grain, and the edge halos this release is not that bad

This is impressive! The quality is infinitely better than the original BDs !! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: It is very difficult to do this, right? I guess it's impossible to do a version like that? With your changes this would be by far the best BD version of Dragon Ball :thumbup: :thumbup:

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:06 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:08 am
Trachta10 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:06 am I think if you fix the oversaturation, the fake grain, and the edge halos this release is not that bad

How do you fix the fake grain?

I agree, though. I'm not well-versed in video analytics. I wouldn't notice that the clouds are blurred, for example. To me, I just look at it and if it looks okay, I'm happy. I think that the 30th anniversary release looks okay. But, knowing that it's not okay takes away from it for me. I think that the process should have been better because regardless of how it turned out looking, blurring and taking away grain should not be normalized.
Yeah is impossible to recover the loss of detail, but at least I think is possible to improve this release
I applied a very little noise reduction and also a contrast equalizer to reduce the edge halos
https://imgsli.com/Mzk4NTc
https://imgsli.com/MzkwMDU
https://imgsli.com/Mzk4NTk
https://imgsli.com/Mzk4NTg

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:36 pm

Nanatsu88 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:24 pm

This is impressive! The quality is infinitely better than the original BDs !! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: It is very difficult to do this, right? I guess it's impossible to do a version like that? With your changes this would be by far the best BD version of Dragon Ball :thumbup: :thumbup:
Well is actually really easy
I just change the colors and used a thing called contrast equalizer to reduce the halos